a crisis in the offing for black QBs ?

backrow

Hall of Famer
todays resume: Boller played pretty good for Ravens in place of McNair, McNabb got pulled (officially ankle injury) after an attroucios start and Feeley did very good at QB for Eagles and Leftwich was horrid: 15/28 106 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT and 2 lost fumbles (1 returned for a TD)and was replaced by Harrington, who went for 16/20 for 139 and 1 TD - Falcons sole score of the day, and no interceptions.

Stonewall

Guru
I am glad this topic is being addressed and focused on so thoroughly here. While I believe that the environment is much more favorable for the white QB now than it was 5 years ago, we need to remain vigilant in promoting the facts regarding this topic.

I agree that ESPN/ABC is overly promoting the black QB at the college level. Kirk H continues to laud the play ofBrent Schaefer,Andre Woodson,Juice Williams, etc.

I believe that there are 2 items to point out: 1) Since the mid 1970s, a good number of blacks have started at QB in college (andsubsequently, not played in the NFL). Bear Bryant used black QBs at Alabama.I was watching the famous 1979 Cotton Bowl (Note Dame-Houston) the other day on ESPN Classic. Houston had a black QB, Notre Dame had Joe Montana. Houston's QB did nothing in the NFL, Montana's legacy is obvious. The phenomenon of the college black QB is nothing new, but for 30 years now it has not translated to success at the NFL level. The NFL and college football are two vastly different animals.

2) The trend towards defensive speed at the NFL level has made it nearly impossible for a "run first" quarterback to last in the league. Defensive players are bigger and faster and focused on hurting QBs who attempt to run. Compare Tom Brady to Donovan McNabb, (both roughly 30 years of age). McNabb's body is worn down, Brady's isn't . The constant physical beating sustained by black QBs like McNabb and Michael Vick gives them the career longevity of a running back.

I would easily say that the top 15 NFL quarterbacks right now are white. We need to ensure that this continues.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I really don't have a problem with seeing 4 or 5 black QBs. We have 5 starting black QBs currently. With the way most are playing right now you would think we wouldn't see an increase. The problem I see with blacks is that they always as a cohesive group promote their own and claim discrimination. This could help cause an unwarranted increase in black QBs, b/c whites are afraid of being called racist. Rush Limbaugh was dead on and what happened he lost his job for "racism."

McNabb's comments were ridiculous. He was a hero in Phili until the last couple years when he kept getting injured and then this year has looked rusty. Blacks apparently think that representing about 16% of starting QBs in a 13% black country when whites have been the cream of the crop for the most part for years is unfair to them. It is almost like this group of people don't understand population demographics. But it really isn't just them, it's the stupid drunken white fans as well who think the current NFL is the way things should look. "A coach would never discriminate against his own race at the cost of winning, we need more black supermen, yeah, yeah!"

BTW I agree with Don, I think we are going to see a "small" increase in white defenders and skill players in the coming years. However, I don't think we will see a majority white league any any point in the near future if ever. It would take an influential writer to write a book on the topic and/or college football to change. If enough whites finally got a chance at top college programs b/c of increased awareness of a problem with talent evaluation maybe "someday" that would happen. Because if given a chance they would excel! Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
TJR, you are unwittingly providing examples of why a policy of inclusion won't work with blacks and whites.

every time you do include them (as the NFL has), they only demand more. there is no logic within the black community. they only want MORE. there is no reasoning with them using facts, as you yourself just pointed out. they only want MORE.

if we don't quit ceding more privileges to 'special' individuals who are 'exceptions' then things will never change except for the worse. as the years since segregation ended have proven, blacks don't want their fair share. they only want MORE.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Just wanted to bump this up - it's an interesting thread to read through 9 years later

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sure is. Very high quality discussion between a group of posters a fair amount of whom are still posting to this day.