2024 PGA Tour

NikoDuke

Mentor
2 good tournaments this week.

PGA- Travellers. Scottie, Lowry, Thomas, Cantlay all in the mix.
LIV - Nashville Open. Ancer, Hatton, Bryson, Koepka in the mix.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Some protesters, apparently climate change cult lunatics, not sure exactly as I wasn't watching, ran out on the 18th green and threw paint on it before the police quickly subdued them. Nothing like showing your commitment to the environment by trying to wreck a golf course.

Shortly after that Scottie Scheffler won the playoff on the first hole over Tom Kim of Korea, giving Scheffler his pretty remarkable sixth win of the season in less than half a year.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Some protesters, apparently climate change cult lunatics, not sure exactly as I wasn't watching, ran out on the 18th green and threw paint on it before the police quickly subdued them. Nothing like showing your commitment to the environment by trying to wreck a golf course.

Shortly after that Scottie Scheffler won the playoff on the first hole over Tom Kim of Korea, giving Scheffler his pretty remarkable sixth win of the season in less than half a year.
The crowd was rightly pissed. Looks like some of the protesters got rightly roughed up a bit, when tackled / cuffed.

https://x.com/ForePlayPod/status/18...scotties-winning-putt-and-get-bundled-by-cops

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Scottie Scheffler's six PGA titles so far in '24 is the most since Tiger Woods had six in '09. The modern record is nine, shared by Woods in his peak year of 2000 and Vijay Singh in 2004. Would be nice to see Scotty surpass that, and I'll also be rooting for him to win the British Open next month. He needs to rack up majors while he's at the very peak of his career. So far he has two green jackets (and unprecedented back to back Players championships) but has yet to win the other three.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Scottie Scheffler's six PGA titles so far in '24 is the most since Tiger Woods had six in '09. The modern record is nine, shared by Woods in his peak year of 2000 and Vijay Singh in 2004. Would be nice to see Scotty surpass that, and I'll also be rooting for him to win the British Open next month. He needs to rack up majors while he's at the very peak of his career. So far he has two green jackets (and unprecedented back to back Players championships) but has yet to win the other three.
He's certainly on a good pace to tie or break the record. I don't know how many more tournaments he's committed to as there are nine left I believe, counting the FedEx, BMW and Tour Championship tournaments.
He's also the first player to win six tournaments before July 1st since Arnold Palmer did it in 1962.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
What a dismal showing for both Jordan Spieth and Rory McIlroy at The Fedex St. Judes PGA playoff tournament! Spieth and McIIroy with 7 Majors and over 50 professional wins between them finished second to last in 68th place. Fortunately for McIIroy, he has enough Fedex Cup points to move on to The BMW this week, however Spieth has been eliminated.
Spieth will finally have surgery on his wrist he injured in 2023 and fans are already speculating that it's more than his wrist. Many saying he needs to change everything from his grip, swing and equipment. Who knows, but I hope he can get his wrist repaired and come back to be a great player again.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Scottie Scheffler won the Tour Championship today by five strokes and wins the FedEx Cup for the first time. He had one of the all-time great seasons in 2024, winning The Players for the second time in a row, winning his second Green Jacket at Augusta National, won Olympic gold in golf and now the FedEx Cup, seven wins in all plus the gold medal, the most in a year since you know who in 2007 (but of course to about 1/10 the media hype and acclaim). He has 13 PGA Tour wins now, all in the past three years.

Scheffler also became a father this year. He'll likely never have another year like this one but it'll be interesting to see how long he can maintain his megastar play. Golfers make so much money now, and that and family responsibilities can take away some of the intense focus needed to remain at the top. I know we'd like to see someone challenge Tiger Woods in the majors department but it's unlikely to happen though maybe just maybe Scottie Scheffler is the one to do it.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Spieth will finally have surgery on his wrist he injured in 2023 and fans are already speculating that it's more than his wrist. Many saying he needs to change everything from his grip, swing and equipment. Who knows, but I hope he can get his wrist repaired and come back to be a great player again.
Thanks, Don for the update on Scheffler. I'm usually posting on the golf thread, but trying to help out on the college football team thread and baseball when I can, I haven't had as much time to post on Golf. Plus, I'm working 3 jobs right now including starting my own company, and trying to hold on to my retirement as I lost my management position late last year when the company I worked for sold.
Anyway, I saw where Jordan Spieth had surgery, August 21st, on his left wrist to repair a chronic tendon issue that connects the forearm to the wrist. He's been managing this for some time now. Hopefully, this isn't just an excuse. Some on social media and other outlets have been saying he needs a lot more than surgery. We shall see. Most of the time when injuries occur, it doesn't bode well.
I hope somehow Spieth makes it back to the form he had as the 21 year-old who won The Masters as well as The US Open and Bristish Open.