2024 Kansas City Chiefs

Snow Plow

Mentor
Steele’s betting odds show 56.5 total rushing/receiving yards. I think that with a TD and no fumbles on Sunday night football would be an excellent game considering they most like split carries.

$5 says Crissy obsesses over his long, blonde hair.

backrow

Hall of Famer
I'm thinking 70 yards and a TD. I do have the right to be an optimist after all!

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Listening to the pundits this morning on the local sports radio, the Chiefs went into the season with Steele as the #2 RB. As was noted here on CF, that fumble was a big red flag to Nagy and Reid. Nevertheless, from the "insiders" it looks like Steele will start with Perine being the 3rd down back. Ingram will be the 3rd guy in line. Hunt will probably not be brought up to the roster this week.

So this is Steele's big chance. If he runs and catches well while holding on to the ball, it's going to be fun every week for Chiefs watchers. Pacheco is 6-8 weeks, but considering the nature of his injury and the position he plays, he might not be back until December. I still say that Hunt is washed. I've seen some practice footage and I think I would sign somebody else if I was serious about adding a RB.

jacque

Guru
It was announced that Hunt will not be elevated from the practice squad, great news. That woman beating scum shouldn’t even be in the league.z

If Steele can average 4+ YPC and makes no mistakes, like fumbling, or ugly dropped passes, that will keep him safe till next game. Theres a good chance Steele only gets limited carries because of gameplan, so big numbers shouldn’t be super important.

If he can do more than that, maybe have some awesome highlights, touchdowns, etc, it may be the Steele show till Pacheco is back. Let’s say Steele goes for 85, has a few 10+ yard runs, and gets a touchdown, that could be what kicks off his season. More than that, let’s say he goes nuts and has a huge game, could give us a Hillis year.

I think if Steele goes for something like 10 for 50 with no mistakes, or something like that, we should be happy and it should be the minimum to keep him the starter.

jacque

Guru
KEY THING TO LOOK AT

The falcons have allowed the 7th most rushing yards of any defense. I think they’re a pretty bad, mediocre at best middle of the pack run D, but the chiefs should handle them easily, which could result in KC just running the ball for half the game with a big lead, and the falcons stacking the box knowing runs are coming. Thats specific scenario I’m worried about.

It could go either way, Steele could take advantage of playing a weaker defense, or he could struggle in a scenario where the falcons stack the box against him committing to stopping the run because of a favorable game script for the chiefs. And of course, the game could go somewhere in the middle.

At the end of the day it should be exiting because we have a team that KC will likely beat up and call tons of runs against.

backrow

Hall of Famer
he was inches short of that TD. hopefully he will get it this Sunday vs Chargers!

Warhawk_46

Master
The Steele machine is gaining momentum! He looked pretty good and should average 75 yards a game for the season moving forward until Pacheco is back.

Maybe more!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
And of course Yahoo still calls him a fullback, as I'm sure many other pundits and sports media outlets will continue to do:

backrow

Hall of Famer
Oh yeah. That fullback thing is very noticeable. It didn't happen with Hillis once he started a few games so here's hoping that this label will go away with time.

El Gringo

Mentor
As long as it keeps getting 17 carries again, I don’t care what they call him!

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Taken from an anonymous Facebook post:

The night was supposed to be about family, love, and celebration—but for Carson Steele’s family, it became a night of split emotions. Most Kansas City Chiefs fans were probably watching Week 3’s Sunday Night Football against the Atlanta Falcons from their couches, their kitchens, maybe even their favorite sports bars. But not the Steeles.
Instead, they were gathered in an elegant wedding reception, the hall aglow with chandeliers, soft laughter, and the hum of conversation. Dresses swayed, suits clicked against polished shoes, and everyone’s attention was on the bride and groom—until, in the middle of it all, a giant screen flickered to life, casting a glow over a group huddled in the corner of the venue.
The wedding belonged to Carson Steele’s older sister, Kessler, but the big screen wasn’t showing a slideshow of family memories or the couple’s first dance. No, the Steeles were watching something else unfold—something unexpected, something surreal. There, on the field at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, their younger brother Carson was getting his first ever NFL start as a running back for the Kansas City Chiefs. A dream that had once seemed distant, now playing out in real-time, live from a wedding hall hundreds of miles away.
For Kessler, it was a bittersweet twist. Carson was supposed to be a groomsman at her wedding. She had sent out the save-the-date over a year ago, a time when the idea of Carson making an NFL roster, much less starting in a primetime game, was a hopeful dream. But when the Chiefs called, Carson had no choice but to put his family on hold—because Kansas City was in a chase for its third consecutive Super Bowl win, and every game mattered. His presence on the field mattered.
The Steele family, seated at tables with flower arrangements and champagne glasses, cheered as they watched the 6-foot, 228-pound rookie take his first snaps. Carson’s journey to this moment hadn’t been easy. He wasn’t a first-round draft pick, nor did he have the luxury of a multi-million dollar rookie contract. In fact, he wasn’t drafted at all. Coming out of Ball State, where he rushed for over 1,500 yards and 14 touchdowns in his sophomore year, Carson transferred to UCLA, hoping to catch the eye of NFL scouts. And while he had the stats and the heart, the call on draft day never came.
Undeterred, Carson signed with the Chiefs as an undrafted free agent during the offseason. He fought his way up from the practice squad, patiently waiting for an opportunity. That opportunity came when starting running back Isiah Pacheco was placed on injured reserve. Carson was suddenly thrust into the spotlight, filling shoes many believed were too big for him. Yet, as Kessler and the rest of the Steele family watched on from her wedding reception, it was clear that Carson was determined to make the most of his chance.
The family wasn’t alone in their anticipation. The crowd at the stadium was roaring. Kansas City was pushing for their third win of the season, and Steele’s performance could determine whether they’d continue their pursuit of a historic three-peat. Every handoff, every cut, every burst of speed seemed to reverberate through the reception hall, where the mood oscillated between wedding bliss and the tension of watching a high-stakes NFL game.
And then, the moment came. Carson burst through the defensive line for his first significant carry of the game. The Steele family erupted in cheers, their joyous cries blending into the wedding celebration around them. Guests who were initially confused by the odd spectacle on the big screen soon joined in, sensing the magnitude of what was unfolding before their eyes. This wasn’t just a football game—it was a moment of destiny, for both the bride, her brother, and their entire family.
It’s not often that two life-defining moments collide like this—one brother chasing an NFL dream, another sister getting married on the same night. Yet, as the game wore on, it became evident: this wasn’t just about football or a wedding. It was about family, about seizing opportunities, and about the bittersweet reality of chasing greatness, even when it means missing out on life’s most important moments.
As the clock wound down, and the Chiefs inched closer to another victory, the Steeles found themselves cheering for more than just a win. They were witnessing the culmination of years of sacrifice and hard work, as Carson Steele proved he belonged on that field. And though Carson couldn’t be there for his sister's big day, in a way, his success became a shared celebration—a triumph for the entire Steele family, who watched it all unfold on that unforgettable night.
May be an image of 4 people, people playing football and text

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Taken from an anonymous Facebook post:

The night was supposed to be about family, love, and celebration—but for Carson Steele’s family, it became a night of split emotions. Most Kansas City Chiefs fans were probably watching Week 3’s Sunday Night Football against the Atlanta Falcons from their couches, their kitchens, maybe even their favorite sports bars. But not the Steeles.
Instead, they were gathered in an elegant wedding reception, the hall aglow with chandeliers, soft laughter, and the hum of conversation. Dresses swayed, suits clicked against polished shoes, and everyone’s attention was on the bride and groom—until, in the middle of it all, a giant screen flickered to life, casting a glow over a group huddled in the corner of the venue.
The wedding belonged to Carson Steele’s older sister, Kessler, but the big screen wasn’t showing a slideshow of family memories or the couple’s first dance. No, the Steeles were watching something else unfold—something unexpected, something surreal. There, on the field at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, their younger brother Carson was getting his first ever NFL start as a running back for the Kansas City Chiefs. A dream that had once seemed distant, now playing out in real-time, live from a wedding hall hundreds of miles away.
For Kessler, it was a bittersweet twist. Carson was supposed to be a groomsman at her wedding. She had sent out the save-the-date over a year ago, a time when the idea of Carson making an NFL roster, much less starting in a primetime game, was a hopeful dream. But when the Chiefs called, Carson had no choice but to put his family on hold—because Kansas City was in a chase for its third consecutive Super Bowl win, and every game mattered. His presence on the field mattered.
The Steele family, seated at tables with flower arrangements and champagne glasses, cheered as they watched the 6-foot, 228-pound rookie take his first snaps. Carson’s journey to this moment hadn’t been easy. He wasn’t a first-round draft pick, nor did he have the luxury of a multi-million dollar rookie contract. In fact, he wasn’t drafted at all. Coming out of Ball State, where he rushed for over 1,500 yards and 14 touchdowns in his sophomore year, Carson transferred to UCLA, hoping to catch the eye of NFL scouts. And while he had the stats and the heart, the call on draft day never came.
Undeterred, Carson signed with the Chiefs as an undrafted free agent during the offseason. He fought his way up from the practice squad, patiently waiting for an opportunity. That opportunity came when starting running back Isiah Pacheco was placed on injured reserve. Carson was suddenly thrust into the spotlight, filling shoes many believed were too big for him. Yet, as Kessler and the rest of the Steele family watched on from her wedding reception, it was clear that Carson was determined to make the most of his chance.
The family wasn’t alone in their anticipation. The crowd at the stadium was roaring. Kansas City was pushing for their third win of the season, and Steele’s performance could determine whether they’d continue their pursuit of a historic three-peat. Every handoff, every cut, every burst of speed seemed to reverberate through the reception hall, where the mood oscillated between wedding bliss and the tension of watching a high-stakes NFL game.
And then, the moment came. Carson burst through the defensive line for his first significant carry of the game. The Steele family erupted in cheers, their joyous cries blending into the wedding celebration around them. Guests who were initially confused by the odd spectacle on the big screen soon joined in, sensing the magnitude of what was unfolding before their eyes. This wasn’t just a football game—it was a moment of destiny, for both the bride, her brother, and their entire family.
It’s not often that two life-defining moments collide like this—one brother chasing an NFL dream, another sister getting married on the same night. Yet, as the game wore on, it became evident: this wasn’t just about football or a wedding. It was about family, about seizing opportunities, and about the bittersweet reality of chasing greatness, even when it means missing out on life’s most important moments.
As the clock wound down, and the Chiefs inched closer to another victory, the Steeles found themselves cheering for more than just a win. They were witnessing the culmination of years of sacrifice and hard work, as Carson Steele proved he belonged on that field. And though Carson couldn’t be there for his sister's big day, in a way, his success became a shared celebration—a triumph for the entire Steele family, who watched it all unfold on that unforgettable night.
May be an image of 4 people, people playing football and text
Pretty cool, yet bittersweet moment. I can’t imagine missing the wedding of one of my siblings but this is one of those weird cases. Watching the game, I was asking myself, couldn’t the sister have booked a Friday or Saturday night wedding? They had to be thinking the odds of Carson playing in the NFL wasn’t zero.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'm hoping Justin Watson will benefit from Rashee Rice's serious knee injury but won't hold my breath as Mahomes has always targeted him just occasionally even though Watson is usually second or third on the team in snaps played. This article describes him as a "possession receiver" when Watson has averaged 21.0 yards per catch and 17.0 yards per catch in his first two seasons with KC, enough to place him among the league leaders in that category if he had enough receptions to qualify. But we'll likely see more use of busts and journeymen like Skyy Moore, JuJu Smith-Schuster and Mecole Hardman instead.

Rice’s absence is massive and leaves Kansas City in dire straights. The receivers on this depth chart now are first-round WR Xavier Worthy, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Skyy Moore, Justin Watson and Mecole Hardman. Hardman is a gadget player, while Worthy is a deep threat who will take the occasional jet sweep. Everyone else is best described as a possession receiver. None of them are nearly as dynamic as Rice, nor capable of elevating the offense the way Rice did early this season.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I'm hoping Justin Watson will benefit from Rashee Rice's serious knee injury but won't hold my breath as Mahomes has always targeted him just occasionally even though Watson is usually second or third on the team in snaps played. This article describes him as a "possession receiver" when Watson has averaged 21.0 yards per catch and 17.0 yards per catch in his first two seasons with KC, enough to place him among the league leaders in that category if he had enough receptions to qualify. But we'll likely see more use of busts and journeymen like Skyy Moore, JuJu Smith-Schuster and Mecole Hardman instead.

Rice’s absence is massive and leaves Kansas City in dire straights. The receivers on this depth chart now are first-round WR Xavier Worthy, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Skyy Moore, Justin Watson and Mecole Hardman. Hardman is a gadget player, while Worthy is a deep threat who will take the occasional jet sweep. Everyone else is best described as a possession receiver. None of them are nearly as dynamic as Rice, nor capable of elevating the offense the way Rice did early this season.

I expect that we'll see a lot more throws to the tight end corps which are a strength. The three-deep here is as talented as any in the league.

I would hope that Watson is given more routes in which he can excel. The last game that I went to I was disappointed in his route trees, but he was not getting much separation either, so some of it is on him. I still don't think you'll see much Skyy Moore. Brett Veach was seen slamming his fists and throwing things after the last boneheaded drop. JuJu will get lots of looks though.