2023 NFL Week Two

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Cousins to Hockenson for the TD.

I love the connection they have. One of Kirk Cousins best weapons. Hope to see alot of this all season long. Last season I predicted the
2023 Super Bowl would be the Vikings vs the Bills. Obviously I was wrong but maybe I was only a year off. Let's hope so as that would be
one of the best Super Bowls ever!

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The Eagles 4/5ths White OL is one of the best in the league. I think it's fair to say they are responsible for much of Hurts success. Last week I was surprised at how much time he had to throw when compared to Mac Jones. Reminds me alot of the Cowboys a few years ago - the majority White OL played a huge role in the Cowboys success but Prescott/Elliot got all of the attention. It's certainly been discussed here before how the offensive line is a unit but we never hear much about offensive lines as whole, the media just wants to focus on long limbed sumos and hype them up (see New York Giants).

Snow Plow

Mentor
IMG_0751.jpeg
Great insight here. The guy has a 119.7 qb rating so far and this is what you say?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Vikings' LT sumo lol. His nickname should be The Statue. Vikes gifting this game to the Eagles so far

Warhawk_46

Master
These sumo tackles are horrible. Week after week we see them responsible for crappy play and yet no one seems interested in the next Joe Thomas. Seems LT has become a blacks only position.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
View attachment 4220
Great insight here. The guy has a 119.7 qb rating so far and this is what you say?

He's the ultimate cuck. Personification of a jock sniffing weenie.

Does anyone think Devonta Smith would be an effective receiver if teams played bump and run coverage? He would get knocked off his route every time.

Warhawk_46

Master
I also can’t help but comment on the truly atrocious defensive backfield play. Some of these guys make Deon Sanders look like John Lynch.

That kind of db play years ago would've got them instantly benched. Poor spatial judgment and instincts such that the receiver blows on by and the db does nothing but chase him looking at the back of his jersey.

Snow Plow

Mentor
If Jefferson doesn’t fumble reaching out for a TD, Cousins would have 285 yards and 4 TDs. I haven’t seen his bad plays, though, so maybe I need to look closer.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Eagles' o-line opening up big holes all game, Vikings can't stop their run game.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Mattison is not an impressive running back at all.

Is it just me or have the games this year been really sloppy? Every game I've watched so far has been filled with fumbles, drops, poor OL play, bad tackling, etc. It seems like a lot of these guys are just completely lost out there.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Cousins has played an outstanding game. He's threaded the needle on some passes and looked in command. Jefferson's fumble at the goal line has prevented him from having 5 TD passes on the road against what's supposed to be one of the better defenses.

jphoss

Mentor
The Eagles 4/5ths White OL is one of the best in the league. I think it's fair to say they are responsible for much of Hurts success. Last week I was surprised at how much time he had to throw when compared to Mac Jones. Reminds me alot of the Cowboys a few years ago - the majority White OL played a huge role in the Cowboys success but Prescott/Elliot got all of the attention. It's certainly been discussed here before how the offensive line is a unit but we never hear much about offensive lines as whole, the media just wants to focus on long limbed sumos and hype them up (see New York Giants).
eagles oline plus oline coach is the best in the league. I can’t remember watching a team with the run efficiency that the eagles had this game. Sumo ot is one of the main reasons vikings lost this game, sucks he got injured but their oline moving forward will be better. Hurts looks like he’s reverting back to his level of a solid qb but not a top 3 qb the media was hyping him up to be. Also that 21 db for them is terrible! I didnt see the “fast twitch” movements from him this game

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
It is apparent that the Vikings are an extremely flawed team this year. The passing offense looks fantastic. Cousins is an elite passer and Hockenson, Jefferson and Addison are fantastic options for him. However, the running game is non-existent and the defense has some serious issues.

One player who could not be blamed for the poor defense last night was NT Harrison Phillips. Harrison had 13 (!!!) total tackles, 7 solo and a half a sack. Remember this is from a position that primarily is there to open lanes for the "playing making linebackers" to shoot through. Phillips was extremely active in week 1 as well and is now up to 21 total tackles on the season, which is unheard of for a nose tackle.

Warhawk_46

Master
It is apparent that the Vikings are an extremely flawed team this year. The passing offense looks fantastic. Cousins is an elite passer and Hockenson, Jefferson and Addison are fantastic options for him. However, the running game is non-existent and the defense has some serious issues.

One player who could not be blamed for the poor defense last night was NT Harrison Phillips. Harrison had 13 (!!!) total tackles, 7 solo and a half a sack. Remember this is from a position that primarily is there to open lanes for the "playing making linebackers" to shoot through. Phillips was extremely active in week 1 as well and is now up to 21 total tackles on the season, which is unheard of for a nose tackle.
When watching Harrison it became apparent that as he pulled blockers with him the linebackers scraping and filling the hole were on-existent. That is basic defensive fundamentals that we all learn in high school. Vikings linebackers are below average to put it mildly. Gone are the Chad Greenway-level players.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
When watching Harrison it became apparent that as he pulled blockers with him the linebackers scraping and filling the hole were on-existent. That is basic defensive fundamentals that we all learn in high school. Vikings linebackers are below average to put it mildly. Gone are the Chad Greenway-level players.

Was going to post something similar. Vikings employ a 3-4 defense and the nose tackle is supposed to occupy the offensive line and take up blockers for the linebackers to make plays. This really speaks to Philips ability and talent to be in on 13 total tackles. It's also an indictment on the Vikings interior LBs who are supposed to be the two LBs that make the most tackles on the team. The plays run by the Eagles offense - 23 passes/48 rushes compared to the Vikings play calls - 44 passes/9 rushes also speaks volumes about the poor showing in the running game the Vikings had last night. Granted the Vikings were playing from behind all game. It's safe to say that Cousins isn't the issue in Minnesota despite what all the talking heads and DWFs are saying.

Also, Justin Jefferson's fumble is only causing criticism because of the rule that calls for a fumble to go into the end zone be called a touch back rather than call out Jefferson for his ball control liability.

booth

Mentor
Blankenship missed last night's game due to sore ribs. I don't think it's a long-term injury from the report I read.

Warhawk_46

Master
Was going to post something similar. Vikings employ a 3-4 defense and the nose tackle is supposed to occupy the offensive line and take up blockers for the linebackers to make plays. This really speaks to Philips ability and talent to be in on 13 total tackles. It's also an indictment on the Vikings interior LBs who are supposed to be the two LBs that make the most tackles on the team. The plays run by the Eagles offense - 23 passes/48 rushes compared to the Vikings play calls - 44 passes/9 rushes also speaks volumes about the poor showing in the running game the Vikings had last night. Granted the Vikings were playing from behind all game. It's safe to say that Cousins isn't the issue in Minnesota despite what all the talking heads and DWFs are saying.

Also, Justin Jefferson's fumble is only causing criticism because of the rule that calls for a fumble to go into the end zone be called a touch back rather than call out Jefferson for his ball control liability.
Exactly. And it is not like the Vikings linebackers had few opportunities to turn in some solid play. The Eagles ran as much as any team in recent memory.

Philips is playing extremely well. He keeps this up and he will be named an all pro. I want to see more from Dean Lowry. There are times he gets into putter-pat hand fighting and should resort to a hard bull rush. He is very tall (6’6”) for a defensive lineman and struggles with leverage at times. That said he is a good player and should have more playing time. I look forward to James Lynch coming back in a few weeks as he is very talented but hasn’t been given an opportunity (similar to Justin Zimmer in Buffalo).