2023 NFL Super Wild Card Weekend

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Eagles might go into a bit of a freefall - Kelce may retire, they have some older defensive players and their head case WR has become a locker room cancer. After the way Wentz was subverted by Howie Roseman it was very satisfying to see tonight’s blowout!

PhillyBirds

Mentor
PhillyBirds, I presume you're in Philly or the outskirts. Have you been following what the local media has been saying about the team's collapse as far as the causes or culprit or culprits? It's astounding how fast and thoroughly they went downhill.

Talk radio/television has placed the blame mostly on the coaching staff. Brian Johnson and Matt Patricia have been the deserved targets of ire, as the offensive playcalling is stale and predictable as we saw tonight and the defense is, well...coached by Matt Patricia. Don't think I need to add any commentary there.

On a handful of blogs that I view, there's a pretty big groundswell of skepticism towards Jalen Hurts. He's unable to make multiple reads, can't audible out of a blitz, and struggles with decision making when AJ Brown isn't there to bail him out. Baker Mayfield upstaged him in every possible way tonight, and if a neutral observer had to guess which QB was making a quarter of a billion dollars, he'd guess wrong ninety-nine times out of a hundred.

Edited as I write this, postgame television wrap crew is piling on Hurts.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Talk radio/television has placed the blame mostly on the coaching staff. Brian Johnson and Matt Patricia have been the deserved targets of ire, as the offensive playcalling is stale and predictable as we saw tonight and the defense is, well...coached by Matt Patricia. Don't think I need to add any commentary there.

On a handful of blogs that I view, there's a pretty big groundswell of skepticism towards Jalen Hurts. He's unable to make multiple reads, can't audible out of a blitz, and struggles with decision making when AJ Brown isn't there to bail him out. Baker Mayfield upstaged him in every possible way tonight, and if a neutral observer had to guess which QB was making a quarter of a billion dollars, he'd guess wrong ninety-nine times out of a hundred.
Very true and I'm really glad to see Mayfield continue to play so well after the way he's been treated for most of his career. The man played with injuries that many other quarterbacks wouldn't and gave his everything for the Browns and as thanks he was run out of town. Maybe Hurts' contract will eventually be seen as a big an albatross as Deshaun Watson's.

Baker looks sharp, but much like the performances of Jordan Love and CJ Stroud, it's been a few elite throws paired with a whole lot of defensive incompetence. Not trying to take credit away from any of them, but it's been a trend early on in the playoffs. I'll take it either way, he certainly deserves it.

Jalen Hurts is a great example of how quickly the media is willing to coronate QBs and also how quickly they can flash in the pan and fizzle. Toward the end of this season, he looked every bit the 2nd round low-end starter he was before last season. It seems much of his decline can be attributed to the loss of Shane Steichen and the decision to stop using him as a runner, which was his main strength. A clear trend with athletic black QBs at this point.

I do feel slightly bad for Lane Johnson and Jason Kelce, 2 HoF caliber linemen who may not play again. But overall, I've been happy to watch the Eagles collapse.

CrazyFinn

Mentor
The Eagle‘s implosion is unlike anything I’ve seen before, going from 10-1 and one of the SB favorites to losing 6 out of 7. They were never the same after that SF beat down, it’s as though their confidence was completely shattered and they couldn’t get it back. They demoted the Indian defensive coordinator in favor of Fat Matt and things went from bad to worse.

Though not as odious as Josh McDaniels, I’ve never been a fan of his with that slovenly, bum-like appearance and he joins a long list of Belichick’s former assistants who have found zero success post New England. Considering Belichick‘s own failed tenure after Brady’s departure, maybe we know why.

It as a good weekend of football all things considered. Watching two of my least favorite owners Jerry Jones and Jeffrey Lurie sitting there stone-faced as their teams got blown out was icing on the cake.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Loving the failures of the Eagles and Cowboys especially!

The next round of playoffs already looking brighter than the prospects last week. Texans vs Ravens a wash but one more odious team eliminated. Chiefs vs Bills much more palatable and the Bills are hot and get to play the Chiefs at home for once. NFC much better. Packers are 10 point underdogs against the 49ers, so hopefully they take care of business and advance. Bucs vs Lions is a nice matchup that hopefully Detroit takes. Eventually a 49ers or Lions vs Bills Super Bowl would be quite nice all things considered.

jphoss

Mentor
Man the knives are out for Siriani today listening to the philly media. while I do not think he is the greatest coach in the world, the results of the last three seasons, making the playoffs each year and the Super Bowl last year have to matter. We all know there would be zero talk for a black coach with his résumé to be fired. Hurts, while getting some criticism, is still being viewed as an elite young qb who was let down by incompetent coaching.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Man the knives are out for Siriani today listening to the philly media. while I do not think he is the greatest coach in the world, the results of the last three seasons, making the playoffs each year and the Super Bowl last year have to matter. We all know there would be zero talk for a black coach with his résumé to be fired. Hurts, while getting some criticism, is still being viewed as an elite young qb who was let down by incompetent coaching.
Contrast the heat Siriani and McCarthy are taking to Mike Tomlin's continuing immunity from criticism on the national level. In Pittsburgh at least he has a ton of critics who want him gone. I've mentioned Mark Madden before, a local sports talk show host and writer who plays both sides but doesn't hold back on his dislike for football and basketball, especially the players. He unloads often on Tomlin, a good example being this article. It's not hard to read between the lines. A few snippets:

With no playoff wins in seven seasons and three in 13, it’s clear that the early success Tomlin achieved was due to what his predecessor, Bill Cowher, left behind.

Never having a losing season is impressive only if you’re also winning playoff games. The postseason is how coaches are judged.

Except Tomlin. As I’ve often said, he’s in a results-based business but miraculously avoids accountability for results. He’s a great coach just because.

During one of ESPN’s yell-and-mug shows Monday, the fate of NFL coaches was being debated.

About Dallas’ Mike McCarthy, the crew raged: “The Cowboys lost to Green Bay. He’s got to be fired!” (I’m paraphrasing.)

About Buffalo’s Sean McDermott, they shouted, “If Buffalo loses to Pittsburgh, he’s got to be fired!”

About Tomlin, they bellowed, “Mike Tomlin is the only reason the Steelers are in the playoffs! They don’t have a quarterback, but Tomlin will think of something!”

Well, he didn’t.

But Tomlin will nevertheless coach the Steelers as long as he wants. Probably for a lot more non-losing seasons and a lot more with no playoff victories.

The whole article is worth a read: https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden-steelers-going-nowhere-with-mike-tomlin-overpaid-defense/

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Hurts was exposed to be honest. Started with the 49ers game and the offense has gone downhill ever since. If the offense is not running at 100% with the intact o-line and all the offensive skill position players on the field he is not elevating anyone around him. I know I harp on how the Eagles undermined Wentz a few years ago but it’s great to see the franchise struggle with Hurts at the helm.

Warhawk_46

Master
That is a great article that unfortunately doesn’t bring up that Tomlin keeps his position as a coach of mediocrity only because of his race.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
That is a great article that unfortunately doesn’t bring up that Tomlin keeps his position as a coach of mediocrity only because of his race.
It doesn't have to, as I wrote about it above it's easy to read between the lines. If the author had been blatant about it he either wouldn't have written it or he may have been heavily criticized or even "canceled." Writing it the way he did all but the most thick-skulled can understand his point. As I just wrote in another post, some things are so obvious that they don't always have to be spelled out. Strategically that's often the way to go when operating in Amerika 2.0.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was driving this afternoon and tuned in Mark Madden's show and he predictably really ripped into Tomlin pretty much non-stop. He reiterated the part of his column I copied above and then said "it's the agenda that dare not speak its name." Soon after someone called in and I wasn't paying attention, only hearing him mention Belichick and something about him being White, guess he was comparing The Genius's fate to Tomlin remaining bulletproof. Madden quickly had him disconnected and then said again "it's the agenda that dare not speak its name, but I guess you just mentioned it." He then went on to specifically get into the racial politics involved, making the valid point that part of Tomlin's status comes from the Rooneys taking pride in never firing the team's head coach. Not much to be proud of considering that the team has only won 2 Super Bowls in 44 years since the last of the four they won under Chuck Noll in the 1970s and Tomlin's playoff record is awful over the past decade when the Steelers even make the playoffs.

Madden went pretty far for "mainstream" media, as much as one can reasonably expect, making more explicit what he had alluded to in his newspaper article. But as mentioned he also plays both sides, if you listen to him he's an open materialist and misanthrope out for himself and only himself, so he's never going to do more than occasionally drop a truthful nugget or allusion.

BTW Tomlin reportedly told the team's players today that he's returning next season. The Rooneys have always renegotiated his contracts two years before they expire but now he's headed into the final year of his current one so we'll see if any changes occur or not or whether the Steelers once again remain mired in middle of the pack mediocrity, which seems the most likely scenario at this point.

Warhawk_46

Master
I was driving this afternoon and tuned in Mark Madden's show and he predictably really ripped into Tomlin pretty much non-stop. He reiterated the part of his column I copied above and then said "it's the agenda that dare not speak its name." Soon after someone called in and I wasn't paying attention, only hearing him mention Belichick and something about him being White, guess he was comparing The Genius's fate to Tomlin remaining bulletproof. Madden quickly had him disconnected and then said again "it's the agenda that dare not speak its name, but I guess you just mentioned it." He then went on to specifically get into the racial politics involved, making the valid point that part of Tomlin's status comes from the Rooneys taking pride in never firing the team's head coach. Not much to be proud of considering that the team has only won 2 Super Bowls in 44 years since the last of the four they won under Chuck Noll in the 1970s and Tomlin's playoff record is awful over the past decade when the Steelers even make the playoffs.

Madden went pretty far for "mainstream" media, as much as one can reasonably expect, making more explicit what he had alluded to in his newspaper article. But as mentioned he also plays both sides, if you listen to him he's an open materialist and misanthrope out for himself and only himself, so he's never going to do more than occasionally drop a truthful nugget or allusion.

BTW Tomlin reportedly told the team's players today that he's returning next season. The Rooneys have always renegotiated his contracts two years before they expire but now he's headed into the final year of his current one so we'll see if any changes occur or not or whether the Steelers once again remain mired in middle of the pack mediocrity, which seems the most likely scenario at this point.
That is actually pretty awesome! People are waking up. Seems this radio host is acutely aware of that which shall not be named… and his pointed words saying as much after someone else pointed out the black elephant in the room is great.

I think white people as a group are beginning to crack the facade. While normally politics is downstream of culture, in this most-important area… it seems culture (sports entertainment) is downstream of politics. With prominent voices such as Carlson, Dice and even as mentioned earlier, Charlie Kirk, acknowledging and bringing to light the insidious Great Replacement, more people are waking up.

jphoss

Mentor
It’s gotten ridiculous tod
Hurts was exposed to be honest. Started with the 49ers game and the offense has gone downhill ever since. If the offense is not running at 100% with the intact o-line and all the offensive skill position players on the field he is not elevating anyone around him. I know I harp on how the Eagles undermined Wentz a few years ago but it’s great to see the franchise struggle with Hurts at the helm.
It’s gotten ridiculous listening today btw the dwf on sports radio and the talking heads doing mental gymnastics to avoid criticizing hurts too much. The final straw for me was people excusing hurst’s inability to read and adjust to the bucs blitzing on kelce and their oline!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Chiefs - Dolphins should be fine, Taylor Swift is in the house. Give credit to Stroud for a good game, but better than that, he made his comments after the game all about Jesus Christ, not himself. Tough to root against a Godly fellow like that.
The commies at NBC up to their usual tricks:

Warhawk_46

Master

booth

Mentor
Disgusting media. I’d expect no less from the Satanic, Marxist msm but it still disgusts me when they do this.
Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay says the Lord".
Romans: 12-15. Warhawk_46 They will be begging for a spoonful of water one day to put the thirst out.

Phil

Guru

Here is Mark Madden with a black caller arguing about Coach Tomlin
"Tomlin is a Fraud"
(
)

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here is Mark Madden with a black caller arguing about Coach Tomlin
"Tomlin is a Fraud"
(
)
That video link doesn't work for me, but Madden often calls Tomlin a fraud. Also "Coach Doormat" as he's always encouraged the team's endless array of prima donnas in their dysfunctional ways by never trying to discipline them or encourage them to grow up.

This lol story is airing on the local Pittsburgh stations today:

Mural of Steelers HC Mike Tomlin unveiled on Pittsburgh’s North Side​

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/mur...burghs-south-side/ZA72DKEO4BHD5JYUISVJB56YYU/ I particularly like this: Holbrook said the Steelers took a hard loss in Buffalo, but he wanted to pay homage to Tomlin’s resilience. “We want to keep Tomlin, put him in the vault, in the safe ‘cause he’s a treasure,” Holbrook said. “And there’s rubble at the bottom cause he’s rising from the rubble.”

Bucky

Hall of Famer
“He’s rising from the rubble” love the deep symbolism bro! Lol