2023 Denver Broncos

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
2023 Broncos Preview

The Broncos might win the award for CF's Most Improved Team. Let's deep dive into the roster to see why.

Total White Athletes on Roster (Starters in bold)
21* Whites total, with 9 starters. Grade: C-

QB - Jarrett Stidham
FB - Michael Burton
TE - Adam Trautman, Greg Dulcich, Nate Adkins
T - Garett Bolles, Mike McGlinchey
G - Quinn Meinerz, Ben Powers, Quinn Bailey, Luke Wattenberg
C - Alex Forsyth
DL - Zach Allen, Matt Henningsen
LB - Josey Jewell, Alex Singleton, Drew Sanders
CB - Riley Moss

K - Will Lutz
P - Riley Dixon
LS - Mitchell Fraboni *(looks a bit "off")

IR - Alex Palczewski (T)
PS - Michael Bandy (WR), David Sills (WR), Ben DiNucci (QB), Lucas Krull (TE), Tyler Lancaster (NT), Ben Niemann (LB)

Gone is Caste Clown Nathaniel Hackett and in steps the highly successful Sean Payton as Head Coach. Payton returns from a short hiatus, after many years with the Saints in which he fielded fairly standard Caste Teams. Maybe he had a bit of an "awakening" as 21 Whites with 9 starters has to be a high water mark for him.

The quarterback position is still held by the quickly declining and overpaid Russell Wilson. Payton's job is to revive his career, however he's not tethered to him so there could be a quick hook if Wilson struggles again. Jarrett Stidham was brought in as a highly paid backup and could step in and thrive after showing some flashes with New England and Las Vegas. Blocking for him is a 4/5th White offensive line, which helps the big bump in starters. McGlinchey was the top free agent tackle coming over from the 49ers. Bolles starts at the other tackle spot and is returning from a lost season of injury. Meinerz and Powers are the starting guards with good depth behind them. Michael Burton is one of the last of a dying breed, a fullback. He'll start and occasionally get a carry or 2 and a couple passes thrown his way but he's mostly a human battering ram. Trautman follows Payton over from the Saints and surprisingly (to me at least) is starting already. Hopefully he finally breaks out. Behind him is Dulcich, who I assumed would start. The 2nd year man is a dynamic pass catcher and also a Weird Al Yankovic lookalike.

Last season the main interest of this team was the inside linebacking duo of Alex Singleton and Josey Jewell. After an absurd competition with mediocre black Jonas Griffith, Singleton was finally allowed to start. As expected, and as he's performed throughout his whole career, he excelled as a tackling machine. Jewell is a beast and another tackling machine. This duo is IMO the finest in the NFL. Joining them is another stud, Drew Sanders. Sanders starred at Arkansas after transferring from Alabama who screwed him over. I was a bit disappointed that Denver drafted him as I thought he could start right away if he went to a team without great inside linebackers already. I'm sure he'll get his chance to be a star eventually. Zach Allen is a top 3-4 defensive end and comes over from Arizona. 3 defensive starters is a rare occurrence in the Caste NFL but having a White CB is like finding a 4-leaf clover. Enter Iowa standout Riley Moss, who's the first White corner drafted since I believe Dustin Fox. Moss is battling a minor injury and is listed as a 2nd team backup. As our astute posters have noted, the starter in front of him had an epically bad week 1. Perhaps Moss can break the mold and become an established starting corner, the 1st since Jason Sehorn over 20 years ago.

Looking over the practice squad, there is potential for this team to get even better. Bandy and Sills are both receivers who have spent some time on a 53 before and hopefully one of them gets a chance sooner than later. Lancaster spent a number of years on the Packers active roster and is a capable player. Same can be said for Niemann.

I can't believe I'd say this about a Russell Wilson lead team but go Broncos (I guess)....

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't think any team would have as many as 20 Whites on the roster this season so this is a nice surprise.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
40% white is the whitest in the league. I dunno how you guys can stomach this, but go broncos I guess?

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
It's a tough one to be sure. Hard to root for a team starting Russ Wilson at QB. So we need to root for him to suck but the team to do good? If Stidham gets to start, then well, it's a different ballgame.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Josey Jewell will miss Week 4 with a groin issue, so hopefully rookie Drew Sanders will take his place and play next to ultra-tackling machine Alex Singleton. Sanders has somewhat unexpectedly been forced into a racial apprenticeship as he hardly saw the field the first three games until Jewell was hurt in last week's blowout loss to the Dolphins, so he has an opportunity now if Payton will play him tomorrow.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38564684/sources-broncos-waive-randy-gregory-amid-youth-movement

Gregory has been a constant recipient of the “he a good boy” treatment many malcontent blacks receive in the league. Broncos signed him to an asinine 70 million dollar deal (Broncos on the hook for 19 million of it) last year only to cut him a year and a half later for minimal production, injuries and a suspension. A$$holes like this litter the league and also serve as examples of how blacks have been treated in society as a whole - just keep throwing money at them hoping they will improve (but they never do!)

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38564684/sources-broncos-waive-randy-gregory-amid-youth-movement

Gregory has been a constant recipient of the “he a good boy” treatment many malcontent blacks receive in the league. Broncos signed him to an asinine 70 million dollar deal (Broncos on the hook for 19 million of it) last year only to cut him a year and a half later for minimal production, injuries and a suspension. A$$holes like this litter the league and also serve as examples of how blacks have been treated in society as a whole - just keep throwing money at them hoping they will improve (but they never do!)
Weenieworld calls Gregory's deal with Denver "one of the worst in league history," before quickly adding that this superbust with just 19.5 sacks and 106 tackles in seven NFL seasons will "surely land elsewhere in short order." That's the Caste NFL in a nutshell.

Broncos released EDGE Randy Gregory.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter said the Broncos “want to focus on younger players,” which could mean they’re tanking for Caleb Williams. Gregory, who signed a five-year, $70 million deal with Denver in 2022, played ten games for the Broncos and recorded three sacks and 21 tackles. Gregory’s deal with Denver will go down as one of the worst in league history — not a surprise considering the Broncos’ decision making over the past decade. Gregory, 30, will surely land elsewhere in short order.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Broncos would do good to purge themselves of these bad apples. First Gregory but now they should dump Jackson too.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Josey Jewell may be traded before the deadline as the Broncos look to be ready to move just about anyone. If he is traded I see it as a plus as Jewell will be plugged right in as a starter and it will also enable Drew Sanders to move into the Broncos' starting lineup. Jewell is in the final year of his contract and the Broncos are unlikely to resign him even if they don't trade him.

The Bills may also be interested: https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-trade-rumor-josey-jewell-denver-broncos-linebacker

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Josey Jewell may be traded before the deadline as the Broncos look to be ready to move just about anyone. If he is traded I see it as a plus as Jewell will be plugged right in as a starter and it will also enable Drew Sanders to move into the Broncos' starting lineup. Jewell is in the final year of his contract and the Broncos are unlikely to resign him even if they don't trade him.

The Bills may also be interested: https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-trade-rumor-josey-jewell-denver-broncos-linebacker
Seems like a rare win/win for our guys! Be interesting to see where he lands.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Jewell to the Bills would be great. He could certainly help the Bills inadequacy in run defense.

Rocky B

Master
I saw on ourlads that Riley Moss was listed as third string.
WTF is going on in Denver?

TwentyTwo

Master
WR David Sills & TE Lucas Krull were activated to the 53 man roster. Announcers talked about Krull's 4.5 speed at 6'-6" 260 on last night's telecast....
Would be nice to see Sills get into the rotation!

Broncos elevate TE Lucas Krull, WR David Sills for Week 10 vs. Buffalo​

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/...s-krull-wr-david-sills-for-week-10-vs-buffalo

Cool seeing the Starting line up graphic for the Defense....Zach Allen and then the Snow Patrol LBers ...Singleton; Jewell & Sanders.

jphoss

Mentor
Denver is trending too white! Could that be the reason Riley moss hasn’t seen the field yet

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Disappointing loss last week to the Genius's team. From the article it's a smart move to bench Wilson purely from a contractural/injury standpoint.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Disappointing loss last week to the Genius's team. From the article it's a smart move to bench Wilson purely from a contractural/injury standpoint.

Denver will be an interesting team to monitor in the offseason. If they move on from Wilson and get a White QB they will become instantly watchable. I certainly don't think this year's QB class is "deep" and if everyone recalls Drew Brees did struggle early in his career (1st three seasons) in San Diego prompting the Chargers to draft Rivers. Brees moved on to New Orleans Saints in 2006 and thrived under Payton. It would be great if either Zach Wilson or Mac Jones ends up in Denver as free agents. I certainly think both of those guys are capable starters.
Would anyone disagree that they both were drafted into poor circumstances which greatly hindered their development at the organizational level? That's not to mention the constant media hit jobs on both young White QBs.

I suppose it's something to ponder come this offseason.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Denver will be an interesting team to monitor in the offseason. If they move on from Wilson and get a White QB they will become instantly watchable. I certainly don't think this year's QB class is "deep" and if everyone recalls Drew Brees did struggle early in his career (1st three seasons) in San Diego prompting the Chargers to draft Rivers. Brees moved on to New Orleans Saints in 2006 and thrived under Payton. It would be great if either Zach Wilson or Mac Jones ends up in Denver as free agents. I certainly think both of those guys are capable starters.
Would anyone disagree that they both were drafted into poor circumstances which greatly hindered their development at the organizational level? That's not to mention the constant media hit jobs on both young White QBs.

I suppose it's something to ponder come this offseason.
It's going to be a very interesting offseason in the MIle High City for sure. I would be surprised if they moved on from Wilson though as the dead money on the salary cap would be humongous. The only way to field a team would be to sign a bunch of white guys for minimum deals. According to Rashard Mendenhall the team would then lose every game by 70 points. ;)

Snow Plow

Guru
Denver announced they are benching Wilson for Stidham. Apparently, Denver is on the hook for 37m if he is on the team or injured as of March, 2025, so he may never see the field in a Denver uniform again.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer

icsept

Master
Farewell to the dung beetle. I’m not sure who on this site gave him that nickname, but it makes me chuckle.