2023-'24 NHL Season

NikoDuke

Mentor
Preseason for upcoming 23/24 season drops this weekend with the Kings playing the Coyotes in Australia as the NHL continues to try and grow the game internationally. Regular season starts on Oct 10th.

Quite a few teams have made significant changes to their teams, Leafs, Kings, Bruins, and there are a lot of good story lines to this season.

Will ovechkin score 40 goals?
Do Leafs finally win more than 1 playoff round?
Does Mcdavid finally get his 1st cup?
Can aging Penguins core make another run?
How good will Connor Bedard be in his 1st year?

While the Las Vegas Golden Knights won the Cup in the previous season they are not the betting favorites for this upcoming season.

TeamOdds
Colorado Avalanche+800
Toronto Maple Leafs+1100
Edmonton Oilers+1100
New Jersey Devils+1300
Boston Bruins+1300
Vegas Golden Knights+1300
Carolina Hurricanes+1300
Tampa Bay Lightning+1300
New York Rangers+1500
Dallas Stars+1700
Florida Panthers+2000
Los Angeles Kings+2000
Minnesota Wild+3200
Calgary Flames+3200
Pittsburgh Penguins+3500
Ottawa Senators+3800
Buffalo Sabres+4000
Winnipeg Jets+4000
New York Islanders+4500
Nashville Predators+5000
Vancouver Canucks+5000
Detroit Red Wings+5000
Seattle Kraken+5000
St. Louis Blues+5000
Washington Capitals+5500
Chicago Blackhawks+9000
Arizona Coyotes+13000
Columbus Blue Jackets+13000
San Jose Sharks+14000
Anaheim Ducks+15000

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Appreciate you getting the thread rolling! What’s everyone’s way too early Stanley Cup predictions?!

Chicagoland is excited about Bedard. With Cubs missing playoffs and the Bears season already over, they’ve turned their attention to their young hockey star. Just a bit of pressure.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Can't wait for the season to start. Connor Bedard, drafted number one overall by the Blackhawks and expected to be a superstar, debuts tomorrow night in Pittsburgh against Sidney Crosby, the gold standard since he scored 100 points in his rookie season as a teenager. The fledgling potential superstar against the now 36 year old Crosby and the Penguins. I don't watch ESPN and haven't for decades, but was listening to a local sports talk show (Mark Madden's) and he was saying that ESPN has been keeping Bedard's debut and the NHL itself a "secret."

Remember that beginning last season ESPN is now the primary network for NHL games. So Bedard's debut is getting oh about 1/100th the coverage at best of each year's prominent black rookies in the NBA and NFL -- from the network that televises the NHL! No agenda here, no narrative, nothing to see.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Connor Bedard and the Blackhawks came from two goals down on the road to beat the Penguins 4-2. For the Pens it was a lot like last season when they regularly blew third period leads. But it's only one game and new GM Kyle Dubas made some really good trades during the summer, at least on paper, and I expect the Penguins to be better than they've been the past few seasons.

Bedard had five shots on goal and an assist in his debut. He's 18 and looks 14. He can really snap off shots quickly with a ton of pace.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Connor Bedard and the Blackhawks came from two goals down on the road to beat the Penguins 4-2. For the Pens it was a lot like last season when they regularly blew third period leads. But it's only one game and new GM Kyle Dubas made some really good trades during the summer, at least on paper, and I expect the Penguins to be better than they've been the past few seasons.

Bedard had five shots on goal and an assist in his debut. He's 18 and looks 14. He can really snap off shots quickly with a ton of pace.

It would be great to see more kids wearing hockey jerseys instead of nba or nfl ones unless it's our guys. Always support your own
people first and foremost. I'm gonna try and get to a game or two this year in person.

Connor Bedard is gonna be another young hockey player that little boys can look up to for the next decade and beyond! Happy
that Chicago has one team that is watchable.

Last edited:

Snow Plow

Mentor
Bedard with his first goal tonight. Crosby had 102 points in his rookie season, so let’s see if Bedard can best that.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Well apparently he is a “generational talent”.

Must be the most overused phrase in modern sports media.

I’m sure the kid is talented and I hope he does well, just seems like a lot of baggage to lay on him from the get go. There is a new generational talent every other year or so which leads me to believe that the people using that phrase don’t understand it.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
P. O. Joseph has been an obscure, first round bust for the Penguins since being drafted in 2017. But guess who's
"the only member of the team who endorses a major automotive brand and even has a national commercial. Up north. Last week, Hyundai Canada began airing an advertisement that features Joseph as well as his brother, Ottawa Senators forward Mathieu Joseph, and mother, France Taillon, all natives of Quebec."

1-Joseph brothers.jpg

SneakyQuick

Mentor
P. O. Joseph has been an obscure, first round bust for the Penguins since being drafted in 2017. But guess who's
"the only member of the team who endorses a major automotive brand and even has a national commercial. Up north. Last week, Hyundai Canada began airing an advertisement that features Joseph as well as his brother, Ottawa Senators forward Mathieu Joseph, and mother, France Taillon, all natives of Quebec."

View attachment 4260
White mom, black dad. Fits the narrative very well indeed.

NikoDuke

Mentor
The season has started off with some major storylines. Ovechkin has challenges scoring and there is concern he is showing his age.
The Oilers, a Cup favorite, have really started the season slowly, losing again tonight and Conor Mcdavid has not been as sharp so far.
Vegas is undefeated showing no effects of a long playoff last year enroute to winning the Cup.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Arizona Coyotes have been unable to find a new stadium in Arizona. Hoping this latest bid in Mesa works out. The place
in Tempe would have been perfect but it didn't work out as well as their previous stadium in Glendale, AZ.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member

View attachment 4260
P. O. Joseph has been playing so poorly that he's a healthy scratch for tonight's game against the Blues. But he's the one Penguin who gets a national commercial in Canada, not Canadians Sidney Crosby or Kris Letang (who like Joseph is from Quebec), or anyone else on the team.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
P. O. Joseph has been playing so poorly that he's a healthy scratch for tonight's game against the Blues. But he's the one Penguin who gets a national commercial in Canada, not Canadians Sidney Crosby or Kris Letang (who like Joseph is from Quebec), or anyone else on the team.
Must be nice, to have everything handed to you. Based on race.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
They don’t have room brightening smiles. Also, I’m sure that Quebec is trailing Ontario in the White replacement race so gotta push some more miscegenation and Kalerg1 men.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This is an excellent article on Connor McDavid. I mostly see him only during the Stanley Cup playoffs, but his skill level is always striking to watch. His combination of speed and moves at his size is unprecedented.

Why Connor McDavid is the greatest athlete in pro sports​

mqdefault.jpg

Connor McDavid's Top 10 Career Highlights​

NHL

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
What a terrible shame. RIP Adam Johnson

He was murdered by a black hockey player on the ice. Just saw the video - the black player drop kicks Johnson, slices his neck and he bleeds out. Of course this is how the Zio-media portrays it

F9qR-V5XMAA0XXe

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Where did you see the video? The stories I saw just said it was too gruesome to show and nothing more about the circumstances and I had no idea about the racial angle.

Edit: I found it, sickening.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Where did you see the video? The stories I saw just said it was too gruesome to show and nothing more about the circumstances and I had no idea about the racial angle.

It's murder. Another member of the protected class getting away with it on camera. Luckily it is trending on social media so awareness about it is growing after the media try to make protect the black aggressor.