2022 Indianapolis Colts

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Better-late-than-never preview of the 22 Colts.

The Colts have not been a good team from a demographics perspective for quite sometime now. Back in the Peyton Manning days there were plenty of guys to root for like Austin Collie, Blair White, Anthony Gonzalez, Brandon Stokley and Dallas Clark to name a few. Those days are long gone but maybe with the drafting of Alec Pierce the Colts are interesting again. Let's take a closer look.

Total White Athletes on Roster (Starters in bold)
16 Whites total, with 6 starters. Grade: D-

QB - Matt Ryan, Sam Ehlinger, Nick Foles
WR - Alec Pierce
T - Dennis Kelly, Braden Smith, Bernhard Raimann
G - Quenton Nelson, Danny Pinter, Will Fries
C - Ryan Kelly, Wesley French
LB - JoJo Domann

K - Chase McLaughlin
P - Matt Haack
LS - Luke Rhodes

IR - Carter O'Donnell (OL), Trevor Denbow (S)
PS - Ethan Fernea (WR), Nikola Kalinic (TE)

This is a Caste Team through and through. 16 Whites but half are offensive lineman. Only one pale face allowed on defense and he's purely a WSTD at this point. Yuk.

But there are a few things to like. There is the 4/5 White oline which is anchored by the best guard in the NFL, Quenton Nelson. Nelson is a generational talent and as close as you could have to the perfect lineman. Next is another year enjoying the talents of Matt Ryan. The future Hall of Famer (?) became the 8th QB ever to reach 60,000 yards when he hit the mark in week 1. The long time Falcon has been up and down this year with 3 bad games and 3 really good games. Hopefully the offense is starting to gel and Ryan can have another good season. With few good cheering options in the AFC South, I wouldn't mind seeing Ryan get another crack at the playoffs.

The last and possibly best, reason to follow the Colts is outside rookie receiver Alec Pierce. Drafted in the 2nd round, Pierce is the rare White skill player who's been allowed to start right away. To no one's surprise here at CF, Pierce has been very good already. After a concussion kept him out weeks 1 and 2, Pierce has really gotten going with games of 61, 80, 81 and 49 yards. So after 6 games, Pierce is sitting on 18 catches for 271 yards and a TD. If we extrapolate this out, that would lead to a 768 yard season. If we take averages, while leaving out the 2 goose eggs due to injury and project that average over the next 11 games, then Pierce is on pace to hit 1,016 yards by season's end.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Better-late-than-never preview of the 22 Colts.

The Colts have not been a good team from a demographics perspective for quite sometime now. Back in the Peyton Manning days there were plenty of guys to root for like Austin Collie, Blair White, Anthony Gonzalez, Brandon Stokley and Dallas Clark to name a few. Those days are long gone but maybe with the drafting of Alec Pierce the Colts are interesting again. Let's take a closer look.

Total White Athletes on Roster (Starters in bold)
16 Whites total, with 6 starters. Grade: D-

QB - Matt Ryan, Sam Ehlinger, Nick Foles
WR - Alec Pierce
T - Dennis Kelly, Braden Smith, Bernhard Raimann
G - Quenton Nelson, Danny Pinter, Will Fries
C - Ryan Kelly, Wesley French
LB - JoJo Domann

K - Chase McLaughlin
P - Matt Haack
LS - Luke Rhodes

IR - Carter O'Donnell (OL), Trevor Denbow (S)
PS - Ethan Fernea (WR), Nikola Kalinic (TE)

This is a Caste Team through and through. 16 Whites but half are offensive lineman. Only one pale face allowed on defense and he's purely a WSTD at this point. Yuk.

But there are a few things to like. There is the 4/5 White oline which is anchored by the best guard in the NFL, Quenton Nelson. Nelson is a generational talent and as close as you could have to the perfect lineman. Next is another year enjoying the talents of Matt Ryan. The future Hall of Famer (?) became the 8th QB ever to reach 60,000 yards when he hit the mark in week 1. The long time Falcon has been up and down this year with 3 bad games and 3 really good games. Hopefully the offense is starting to gel and Ryan can have another good season. With few good cheering options in the AFC South, I wouldn't mind seeing Ryan get another crack at the playoffs.

The last and possibly best, reason to follow the Colts is outside rookie receiver Alec Pierce. Drafted in the 2nd round, Pierce is the rare White skill player who's been allowed to start right away. To no one's surprise here at CF, Pierce has been very good already. After a concussion kept him out weeks 1 and 2, Pierce has really gotten going with games of 61, 80, 81 and 49 yards. So after 6 games, Pierce is sitting on 18 catches for 271 yards and a TD. If we extrapolate this out, that would lead to a 768 yard season. If we take averages, while leaving out the 2 goose eggs due to injury and project that average over the next 11 games, then Pierce is on pace to hit 1,016 yards by season's end.
Matt Ryan is injured and on the shelf and according to the Colts beat reporter benched even if he heals quickly. The Colts are giving Ehlinger a shot at the starting job. I can't say I am shocked as Ryan hasn't looked good this year and the Colts don't have a huge commitment to him money wise in the 50million dollar star starter era. https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/63956/sam-ehlinger

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Matt Ryan is injured and on the shelf and according to the Colts beat reporter benched even if he heals quickly. The Colts are giving Ehlinger a shot at the starting job. I can't say I am shocked as Ryan hasn't looked good this year and the Colts don't have a huge commitment to him money wise in the 50million dollar star starter era. https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/63956/sam-ehlinger
Ryan's had a very fine career but hasn't looked good this year. It happens eventually to the best of them, Big Ben his last two seasons being a good example, and maybe Brady and even Rodgers this year. Let's hope Ehlinger shows enough to become entrenched as the starter.

The Colts have named Sam Ehlinger as their starting quarterback for the remainder of the season.​

Head coach Frank Reich announced on Monday the team's decision to move forward with Ehlinger as the starter. The Colts appear set to fully move on from Matt Ryan, who has thrown for 2008-9-9 while also losing three fumbles on the season. Ehlinger, who was a sixth-round pick from the 2021 class will make his first career start in Week 8 against the Commanders. The second-year quarterback had a solid preseason, completing 24-of-29 passes for 289 yards and four touchdowns, and added another 71 yards and one touchdown on the ground. Playing behind one of the worst pass-blocking lines in the league, Ehlinger will be hard to trust in fantasy, especially against a stout Commanders defensive line. Despite the team announcing Ehlinger as the starter for the remainder of the season, it wouldn't be surprising to see Ryan back in the fold at some point.

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Ryan's had a very fine career but hasn't looked good this year. It happens eventually to the best of them, Big Ben his last two seasons being a good example, and maybe Brady and even Rodgers this year. Let's hope Ehlinger shows enough to become entrenched as the starter.

The Colts have named Sam Ehlinger as their starting quarterback for the remainder of the season.​

Head coach Frank Reich announced on Monday the team's decision to move forward with Ehlinger as the starter. The Colts appear set to fully move on from Matt Ryan, who has thrown for 2008-9-9 while also losing three fumbles on the season. Ehlinger, who was a sixth-round pick from the 2021 class will make his first career start in Week 8 against the Commanders. The second-year quarterback had a solid preseason, completing 24-of-29 passes for 289 yards and four touchdowns, and added another 71 yards and one touchdown on the ground. Playing behind one of the worst pass-blocking lines in the league, Ehlinger will be hard to trust in fantasy, especially against a stout Commanders defensive line. Despite the team announcing Ehlinger as the starter for the remainder of the season, it wouldn't be surprising to see Ryan back in the fold at some point.

Rooting for Ehlinger! I do think Ryan looks like he is about at the end of his fine career - sad to say. Brady's issue is he stuck around too long on the wrong team - once his interior OL left it was going to be tough for him - have to say I don't care much for his antics regarding Scottie Miller and Kenny Pickett though. Rodgers is fine, he isn't the issue - it's the team they assembled (or disassembled) around him that is the problem.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Good to see Colts having faith in Ehlinger. Great opportunity for him and they really have nothing to lose as they've had a rough beginning to this season. As mentioned Ryan's career is winding down and financially it would make sense.

Jonathan Taylor has also been injury prone after a great '21 campaign.So I'll give Ryan that.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree it's time to move on from Ryan. They are not considered a playoff team for the most part and they are trying to build a strong
foundation slowly but surely over time. Ehlinger can really play. He was great in college and it's his time to shine. I really want to see
them get Alec Pierce more involved in the offense. He makes big plays when he gets the ball but is ignorred most of the time. I would
say he is looked at as a 3rd or 4th option. I would like to see him get more targets. If I was Pierce, I would be hanging out with Ehlinger
on and off the field. That's how Edelman did it to gain Bradys trust with the Pats.

icsept

Master
I agree it's time to move on from Ryan. They are not considered a playoff team for the most part and they are trying to build a strong
foundation slowly but surely over time. Ehlinger can really play. He was great in college and it's his time to shine. I really want to see
them get Alec Pierce more involved in the offense. He makes big plays when he gets the ball but is ignorred most of the time. I would
say he is looked at as a 3rd or 4th option. I would like to see him get more targets. If I was Pierce, I would be hanging out with Ehlinger
on and off the field. That's how Edelman did it to gain Bradys trust with the Pats.
Great point, WL. Alec Pierce needs to become Sam Ehlinger’s best friend, on and off the field.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Frank Reich was fired today. Acquiring Matt Ryan one season too late after doing the same with Philip Rivers was his undoing.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Frank Reich was fired today. Acquiring Matt Ryan one season too late after doing the same with Philip Rivers was his undoing.
Colts D also overrated by media. Media anointed their Defense Super Bowl ready prematurely. On top of signing aging QBs as your stop gap Starters. Not the best recipe.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
They should have stuck with Wentz. Seems like Irsay is ultimately to blame as he is very involved in every decision and meddling with the coach. The way in which the Colts treated Wentz and Reich having to apologize was pathetic.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The meddling owners rarely have successful organizations. Daniel Snyder, the Bidwills, and the Irsays come to mind. Jerry Jones had early success but not for a very long time now.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
They named Jeff Saturday interim coach. Can’t wait for the media and talking heads to whine about not having a black replace Frank Reich.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
They should have stuck with Wentz. Seems like Irsay is ultimately to blame as he is very involved in every decision and meddling with the coach. The way in which the Colts treated Wentz and Reich having to apologize was pathetic.

I agree. The problem is that white football players are always on a short leash. Look at the niners. Always trying to run Jimmy G out of town
and put the bum Trey Lance in. Steven Smith did a show saying how much he hates Wentz and how he has always been a bum. This is before
he wa s benched. It's a anti white push at the quarterback position like never seen in history. According to them we must all be replaced.

Phall

Master
The Colts are getting a lot of flack for appointing a white interim head coach to carry water for ten weeks. I would imagine that Irsay intends to fire his whole staff, so what's his prerogative to elevate any of those bums? You can't exactly replace every single coach on staff during a season.

https://twitter.com/search?q=jeff+saturday

"There's no talk of permanence at this point," Irsay said, adding the Colts are "following the Rooney Rule to a tee" and will conduct a full interview process with additional candidates, including minorities, after the season.

When he was a center, Jeff Saturday helped Peyton Manning call plays. The accusations from the "mainstream" media that he can't do the job are baseless and the hysteria from the usual suspects about a Rooney Ruler not being gifted the head coaching job are shrill and typical. It's a temporary interim appointment for half a season; they're losing their minds over nothing.

Warhawk_46

Master
I was just going to post that too. Will he get a chance? They didn’t give Borghi a sniff of a shot.

Still amazes me Nall and Borghi aren’t even in practice squads. Especially Borghi after all his success in college.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
You know it’s funny but despite all of the odds being against it happening white skill players have made a big impact in the last few years. Whitey has the best tight ends by far and we have revolutionized the slot role and will hopefully continue to do so.

For running backs though I think the way forward has to be with more short pass plays out of the backfield which utilize quickness and decision making.

Don’t know why this hasn’t been done as much yet but the pure play white running back is a tough sell. (At least for now)

booth

Mentor
Pierce had 2 passes thrown his way Sunday. No catches, no yds, and no carries. Think of what he could do on sweeps.

Tannehill17

Mentor
The supposed "lack" of black coaches bitch burns my ass more than any other. Seriously, who gives a $hit about an interim position? If Irsay hires a black as an interim coach, the media will start bitching about how he was only hired to be fired at the end of the season. If he hires a white guy, then he's not complying with the Rooney Rule. You seriously can't win with these Marxists.

I'm getting so fed up with the idea that if blacks are better at something, it's simply because they're more talented. If whites are better at something, it's because it's a good 'ol boys club that shuts blacks out, thus proving why they're known in WN circles as the "magical race"

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
The supposed "lack" of black coaches bitch burns my ass more than any other. Seriously, who gives a $hit about an interim position? If Irsay hires a black as an interim coach, the media will start bitching about how he was only hired to be fired at the end of the season. If he hires a white guy, then he's not complying with the Rooney Rule. You seriously can't win with these Marxists.

I'm getting so fed up with the idea that if blacks are better at something, it's simply because they're more talented. If whites are better at something, it's because it's a good 'ol boys club that shuts blacks out, thus proving why they're known in WN circles as the "magical race"
Great post! 100% truth.

Aus2G

Jake Funk promoted to 53-man roster, here’s hoping he gets a few carries.

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Jake Funk promoted to 53-man roster, here’s hoping he gets a few carries.
It's a miracle. He probably won't get any carries but he'll probably be spotted on special teams.