2021 Defensive Backs

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Shaw has a lot of promise. Was originally a Wisconsin recruit. Also a star in HS Lacrosse.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Cooper DeJean actually got a LOT of reps at cornerback last week for Iowa in their big win. the Hawkeyes pulled their starters late in the third quarter (if memory serves), and DeJean came on in relief of Riley Moss.

Iowa also had Schulte getting a LOT of action at safety.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
speaking of White cornerbacks, Nebraska’s Phalen Sanford caught my eye earlier in the game against Iowa.

as i’ve mentioned before, i love watching gunners on punt coverage, and Sanford made a terrific play and tackle against Charlie Jones, the outstanding return man for Iowa. i immediately looked him up, and it turns out that he is listed as a cornerback for the Cornhuskers. he also is quite an accomplished athlete in track and basketball, as well, as shown in his profile linked below. i wonder if he’ll ever get the chance to play outside of special teams ...

https://huskers.com/sports/football/roster/phalen-sanford/42884

Red Raider

Mentor
Reed Blankenship played in his last collegiate game earlier today. This post is to appreciate his rare and impressive career. I say rare because he was a 5 year starter, obviously that has never been done before and I doubt it’ll ever happen again.

2021 super senior season
1st Team All-CUSA
110 tackles, 10 TFL, 1 sack, 1 INT, 8 PD, 2 FF, 3 FR, 1 TD

Career totals
- 419 tackles, 26.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 9 INT, 19 PD, 3 - FF, 4 FR, 2 TD
- 11 punt returns, 106 yards
- MTSU all time leading tackler
- 2021 1st Team All-CUSA
- 2018 1st Team All-CUSA
- 2019 2nd Team All-CUSA
- 2017 Honorable Mention All-CUSA
- 2017 Freshman All-CUSA
- on “Feldman’s Freaks” list
- East-West Shrine Game invite

What an absolutely monster career for Blankenship!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i’m currently watching a replay of the North Dakota State-James Madison game in the FCS semifinals. a player that (obviously?) caught my attention is NDSU cornerback/punt returner, Jayden Price.

Jayden_Price_20210313_FB_ILST.jpg

Price is a long and lanky (6-0, 186-pounds) corner who doesn’t get much publicity or notice ... but opposing teams simply don’t throw at him.

it has long been my position that the fewer stats a cornerback puts up (discounting run support tackles) the better he is, because he’s doing a terrific job of erasing receivers. this appears to be the case with Price, who has started every game the past two seasons. this season he only has 12 solo tackles (15 total) on the season. he also has 5 pass break-ups, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery on the books. last season, he only had 14 solo tackles (22 total), as well as 5 pass break-ups and an interception (and 1.5 tackles for loss).

i acknowledge that i've seen VERY little game action of Jayden Price, but i’m convinced this dude CAN PLAY.

by the way, he’s returned a punt for a touchdown each of the past two seasons, so he’s clearly explosive.

if anyone on the boards has more info on this young man, i'd love to learn more about his story.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
speaking of Jayden Price, i just did some digging, and it turns out that as a high school junior he ran a 10.72 FAT time in the 100-meters and has a standing vertical of over 36-inches. dude is definitely athletic.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Iowa State true freshman safety Beau Freyler had game-highs of 9 solo tackles and 15 total tackles in this evening’s Cyclones’ bowl game loss to Clemson. those totals nearly match his season totals entering the contest.

he is a name to remember moving forward.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Iowa State true freshman safety Beau Freyler had game-highs of 9 solo tackles and 15 total tackles in this evening’s Cyclones’ bowl game loss to Clemson. those totals nearly match his season totals entering the contest.

Freyler made an excellent decision in choosing Iowa State. Helluva Bowl Game performance!

TwentyTwo

Master

Yes sir Jimmy C! Thanks for the head's up! Saw #17 in the Secondary !
Bucky and i were all over that the day Freyler committed to Iowa State

Freyler made an excellent decision in choosing Iowa State. Helluva Bowl Game performance!
You & i posted at the SAME time back on May 17th 2020...fun to follow these prospects out of HS into the College ranks ; and hopefully NFL! We knew he was grossly under rated as the 82nd rated Safety out of HS from Colorado Springs CO
http://castefootball.us/index.php?threads/class-of-2021.37013/page-6

Beau Freyler (Fr) 6'-2" 205 Iowa State
Freyler_BeauTCU21_2.jpg

Another Freshman Safety to keep an eye on ... Made the 24 7 All American Freshman team ....

Jack Howell (Fr) 5'-11" 195 Colorado State
He did not play in the season opener, but soon became a regular in the defensive rotation, appearing in 10 games and starting six. He finished fifth on the team with 64 tackles, including 3.5 tackles for loss. He intercepted one pass and was credited with four pass breakups as he closed the season as Pro Football Focus' highest-graded true freshman safety.
Dad played in the NFL for Super Bowl Bucs
https://csurams.com/news/2021/12/9/...-true-freshman-all-american-by-247sports.aspx
Jack_Howell.jpg

Yes Jimmy C! Saw #23 Price playing for the FCS Powerhouse Bison!
Jayden Price (Jr.) 6'-0 186 North Dakota State
Also a good Punt Returner too!

Last edited:

Red Raider

Mentor
Yes sir Jimmy C! Thanks for the head's up! Saw #17 in the Secondary !
Bucky and i were all over that the day Freyler committed to Iowa State

You & i posted at the SAME time back on May 17th 2020...fun to follow these prospects out of HS into the College ranks ; and hopefully NFL! We knew he was grossly under rated as the 82nd rated Safety out of HS from Colorado Springs CO
http://castefootball.us/index.php?threads/class-of-2021.37013/page-6

Beau Freyler (Fr) 6'-2" 205 Iowa State
Freyler_BeauTCU21_2.jpg

Another Freshman Safety to keep an eye on ... Made the 24 7 All American Freshman team ....

Jack Howell (Fr) 5'-11" 195 Colorado State
He did not play in the season opener, but soon became a regular in the defensive rotation, appearing in 10 games and starting six. He finished fifth on the team with 64 tackles, including 3.5 tackles for loss. He intercepted one pass and was credited with four pass breakups as he closed the season as Pro Football Focus' highest-graded true freshman safety.
Dad played in the NFL for Super Bowl Bucs
https://csurams.com/news/2021/12/9/...-true-freshman-all-american-by-247sports.aspx
Jack_Howell.jpg

Yes Jimmy C! Saw #23 Price playing for the FCS Powerhouse Bison!
Jayden Price (Jr.) 6'-0 186 North Dakota State
Also a good Punt Returner too!
Thanks for mentioning Howell! I like to think I am pretty good as knowing all the white skill position players but I had NEVER heard of him! What a solid freshman season, and he plays alongside fellow young safety Henry Blackburn.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i wonder what’s going on with these bowl games ... another true freshman safety nearly matches his season totals in the bowl game.

Wake Forest true freshman Christian Masterson tied with game-highs of 6 solo tackles (and 7 total). he has cornerback size at 5-11, 185, so it would be interesting to learn more about his story.

Wake Forest also has a terrific talent in former-walk-on-turned-superstar Nick Andersen, who is also undersized but is a big time ball hawk.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Arkansas cornerback Hudson Clark got the start at field corner today for the Razorbacks in their bowl game against Penn State. through three PSU possessions, he has yet to be targeted. hopefully, he will have a terrific outing in this nationally televised contest.

TwentyTwo

Master
Thanks for mentioning Howell! I like to think I am pretty good as knowing all the white skill position players but I had NEVER heard of him! What a solid freshman season, and he plays alongside fellow young safety Henry Blackburn.
I'm the same way! Not many slip past you Red Raider

i wonder what’s going on with these bowl games ... another true freshman safety nearly matches his season totals in the bowl game.

Wake Forest true freshman Christian Masterson tied with game-highs of 6 solo tackles (and 7 total). he has cornerback size at 5-11, 185, so it would be interesting to learn more about his story.

Wake Forest also has a terrific talent in former-walk-on-turned-superstar Nick Andersen, who is also undersized but is a big time ball hawk.
Nice find on the younger Masterson!

Yes sir Jimmy C. Have Nick Andersen for first post / 4th pick from Top. He's was one of the DB's that was temporarily juked by Pitt QB Kenny Pickett when they changed the slide rule....Andersen has Honey Badger-(Tyrann Matheiu) like instincts!

Another Freshman to keep an eye on....

Strong Safety ...Cole Bishop (Fr) 6'-2" 205 Utah
3rd on team in Tackles in Rose Bowl
Played in 10 games, starting the last 6.
  • Pac-12 All-Conference Honorable Mention
  • Owns 54 tackles on the season, leading all true freshmen on the team. 9 TFL
  • 3 sacks ; Fumble Recovery Blocked a FG
Team mate DB Nate Ritchie(already in this thread above) serving a 2 year mission opened the door for Bishop getting more playing time
Originally committed to Duke ; 3 star recruit is from the state of Georgia
6190487b1d20b.image.jpg

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
BYU safety Zayne Andeson is currently on the Chiefs 53 man roster. He was very much overlooked in the draft.

Red Raider

Mentor
Always good to discover a new DB in college football. I just found out about North Texas DB Sean-Thomas Faulkner. He started 6 games in 2021 and totaled 52 tackles, 3 TFL, and 2 pass deflections. He transferred from The Citadel where he started 22 games.
upload_2022-4-16_21-1-37.jpeg