2021 College Football Week 5

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Just looking ahead to this weekend's slate of games - plenty of big matchups that have the potential to shake up the college football landscape.

Thursday Night - UVA vs Miami - The ACC is up for grabs. Brennan Armstrong has started the season on a tear and it getting next to no national recognition. Miami SHOULD have a QB controversy at this point because D'Eriq King has not been great this year and the Hurricanes have failed again to return to national prominence. Tyler Van Dyke would make the Hurricanes at least a little interesting to watch if he were to be named started.

Friday Night - #5 Iowa vs Maryland - Iowa boasts a top 3 defense in college football and if Petras can provide balance in the offense to open up the running game they should win. Maryland has actually been a surprise this year - very good team offensively.

Saturday Early Games:

#8 Arkansas vs #4 Georgia - Arkansas has one of the other top defenses in college football but inconsistent/erratic QB play will probably doom them. UGA has one of the country's best QBs in JT Daniels and two dynamic offensive stars - Brock Bowers who is the 2nd best TE in the country already and WR Ladd McConkey which makes UGA much more bearable than most other SEC teams. They also have a top defense in the country. I feel they are primed to dethrone Alabama this season.

#14 Michigan vs Wisconsin - Michigan is rolling so far and have abandoned the spread passing game. Per @Phall the Wolverines boast a snow plow OL and have been dominant in the running game. This team has much more in common with the Stanford teams that Harbaugh fielded a decade ago. Aidan Hutchinson has the look of a 1st round talent and Cade McNamara has provided steady QB play. Wisconsin would look alot like Michigan if they had the aforementioned steady QB play. They have been buoyed by a great defense (with White athletes everywhere) but Graham Mertz has not provided the spark needed on offense. This should be a fun game to watch.

#7 Cincinnati vs #9 Notre Dame - Another game that will provide some clarity. Luke Fickell has essentially turned the Bearcats into the Buckeyes lite. Notre Dame has a struggling o-line but Coan sounds like he will get the start after reports that his injury is not considered serious. Michael Mayer is the best TE in the country and the Irish boast a snow patrol LB corp.

Saturday Afternoon Games:

#12 Ole Miss vs #1 Alabama - This has the potential to be an upset. Matt Corral gets a chance to pass by the media's already chosen heisman winner - the Alabama black quarterback. Ole Miss just seems like a more complete team on both sides of the ball. This game can surely shake up the college landscape if Ole Miss comes away with the win.

#3 Oregon vs Stanford - Another came with upset potential. I do not think the Ducks are as good as the record indicates. The win vs Ohio St looks less impressive after seeing how close Tulsa played them the following week. Stanford may have finally found their QB as well.

#11 Ohio St vs Rutgers - I feel the Buckeyes are primed for the upset here. Rutgers played Michigan tough last week and the Wolverines steamrolled through the first three games. I think this may be the shocker of the day and will have some implications within the Buckeyes program.

Not that much intrigue in the later games. I expect PSU to steamroll Indiana and ideally the Hoosiers quota struggles again. Sparty should jump to 5-0 vs Western Kentucky. BC may be able to pull out a victory and hopefully DJ Oggabooga's struggles continue. Northwestern faces Nebraska and it looks like Ryan Hilinski will be the Wildcats starter going forward. I'll have to root for the Wildcats as long as Martinez is continually gifted the starting job for the Huskers.

Phall

Master
Michigan fans are in total meltdown mode after squeaking by Rutgers 20-13 despite the 4-0 record. Cade McNamara went 1-7 in the second half and has one big game's worth of stats after four games. TE Luke Schoonmaker, the most involved white "skill position" player, has zero receptions on the year. Aidan Hutchinson has looked terrific as an edge rusher, but snaps have been very scarce for the few white backups (McGregor, Welschof, and Speight have played little, Newburg and Velazquez not at all). Legacy walk-on safety Cade Kolesar was relieved of punt returning duties after a game of filling in for injured WR Ronnie Bell, and that experiment is now over. The snowplow line is a question mark after failing to get consistent push against an overmatched Rutgers defensive front. The online community has turned on black OC Gattis and argues whether a quarterback change will simply ruin McCarthy the same way Harbaugh has ruined virtually all of the dozen quarterbacks he's started at Michigan.

Wisconsin is probably not as bad as they look despite Mertz laying an egg this year. I think it's fair to wonder whether the hype train affected his offseason dedication. The Notre Dame scoreline wasn't really indicative, and the Iowa loss is quite respectable at this point. Hopefully they can turn their season around against the Wolverines.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Surprised to see Gattis draw the ire of the fan base - that’s a silver lining. I think Rutgers is better than they are getting credit for. I do hope they are able to play the Buckeyes close this week.

I watched some of the Miami-UVA game last night. Was surprised to see VanDyke starting for the Hurricanes - he started off slow but picked it up late in the game. They could have upset the Cavaliers but the kicker hit the upright when attempting the game winning field goal. UVA is certainly on a downward trend from a caste perspective - Mendenhall has been a disappointment.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Very much looking forward to the CFB action we have in line for us tonight. Iowa V Maryland should live up to the hype and then we have BYU V Utah State on the late night slate!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Very much looking forward to the CFB action we have in line for us tonight. Iowa V Maryland should live up to the hype and then we have BYU V Utah State on the late night slate!

It's gonna be a doubleheader of late night caste football action. I hope Iowa can continue their stellar play. The 2nd game I actually like both teams so it won't be too bad either way. I would say I'm slightly rooting for BYU as they have a been a favorite of mine since I was a kid.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
let’s go Whitehawks!!!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Koerner with a pick for the Whitehawks!

Campbell is looking like a future NFL player at linebacker, as well. dude flies to the football in the running game and is elite in coverage.

Iowa’s defense is looking dominant, despite repeated assurances from the talking heads that Iowa “isn’t the most dynamic team you’ll see.”

i wonder what the Maryland coaching staff is thinking about all these White cats beating up on their magical affletes ...

ximasa

Guru
Riley Moss is at least Day 2 pick for NFL.
if scouts don't watch his tapes, check his stats.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
third pick in his last 8 attempts in this game for the “dynamic”Terrapins black quarterback.

Maryland is coming off the rails. after the change in possession, back-to-back pass interference/defensive holding calls prevented Iowa touchdowns.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
and now a dead ball, unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. the nearly-all-black Terps (by my count only 1 of 22 starters were White) are starting to revert to type ...

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
touchdown by Iowa fullback Pottebaum (spelling?) and his flowing, golden locks. Whitehawks are putting on a show of total football “supremacy” in this first half. LOL

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i almost ignore that last-second pick on the hail Mary pass, because it really doesn’t mean much. however, considering the hype the announcers were showering upon the Maryland qb, it certainly serves to rub some salt in the wound. after throwing only 1 interception in his team’s first four games, he’s thrown 4 picks in this first half against the Hawkeyes.

Iowa played an impeccable half of football.

Last edited:

Phall

Master
Awesome performance by the Hawkeyes white defenders tonight. So endeth the Tagovailoa Heisman campaign. Four first-half picks at home, woof.

At this moment, Iowa currently has 10 picks this season vs. 4 passing TD's allowed. DC Phil Parker's defenses have only allowed more passing touchdowns than picks once since the 2016 season. What's his secret?

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
LOL!!!

the “electrifying” affletes on Maryland’s defense finally get to Petras for a sack (they’re “only” down 27 points at the time), and promptly begin doing some group celebration ... you can’t make this stuff up ... then, Iowa scores on the VERY NEXT PLAY!!! i can’t stop smiling.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
what a catch by Charlie Jones!!!

he’s also had a very good night returning kicks.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
all the backups were in for Iowa in the third quarter. it is a good night for Hawkeyes fans.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Iowa has two white running backs that are freshman. Hope they can see some action in the next few years!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Iowa has the best defense in the country in my honest opinion. Great win in the National Spotlight on Prime Time TV! :)

Glad to see BYU remain undefeated as well. They were ranked 13th coming into tonight so if we get a few losses from other teams
they may move into the top 10 or very close.

Baylor Romney played most of the game at quarterback. He was 15-19 for 187 yards an 1 td. He also had 1 rush for 13 yards.

His brother Gunner Romney had a quite night with 5 catches for 42 yards. BYU ran the ball 36 times tonight.

wile

Master
third pick in his last 8 attempts in this game for the “dynamic”Terrapins black quarterback.

Maryland is coming off the rails. after the change in possession, back-to-back pass interference/defensive holding calls prevented Iowa touchdowns.

"Dynamic" imagine being a white announcer/talking head with a semblance of a conscious and the management telling you even if the team dresses out Bubba from Forrest Gump as their starting QB you will shower that guy with praise like no tomorrow.