2018 Season news

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Prandini wins 100m at NACAC in 10.96 (0.9)...well done!

Jen Prandini is world class now. She will be a force to be reckoned with the World Champs & Olympics. Finally the U.S.
has a world class white female sprinter. We will have two if Hannah Cunliffe can get back on track next year.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Ramil Guliyev ran a 9.98 today at the end of a long season. He has one race left tomorrow
over 200 meters. I'm going to have to update his personal bests for the 200 meters after his
record breaking gold medal at the European Championships. What a living legend he is!

sprintstar

Mentor
Schippers in the lead until 175-180 then gassed out finishing 3rd in 22.41, Prandini strong first 150 then got caught finishing 5th in 22.58. The times were all slow for this caliber of field. Schippers finishing is not where it was 2 years ago as she is gassing around 175-180 in most 200. Still I love watching a strong powerful white female ELITE sprinter!

Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I think we mentioned this guy last year - Chunhan Yang of Taiwan.
He was the leading qualifier in the heats of the 100m at the Asian Games with a time of 10.13.
Don't know the wind.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
If Yamagata had leaned, he would have been sub 10 and gotten 2nd place.
I don't know why a sprinter wouldn't lean at the tape in a close race.

white is right

Hall of Famer
just gotta love this one...Kenyans finally getting their just rewards for cheating..

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/trackandfield/iaaf-doping-kipyegon-bett-1.4797925
I have been too lazy to update the Kenyan tidal wave thread, but so many medalists at major meets to journeymen who rob semi pro North American and European runners of modest 20K winners purses have been busted since I started that thread.

Ps I doubt this will happen but the crazy Rudisha record looks fishier and fishier as more and more elite athletes from Kenya are popped. The sample from London needs to be retested.

sprintstar

Mentor
Guliyev 2nd 19.98 in 200m DL Zurich, Warholm 2nd 400mh 48.10 led until last 20m or so then got beat out by a nose at the wire. Wonder how good this kid could really be if he learns to pace himself better, on the other hand he is exciting to watch, has a Viking mentality!

CrazyFinn

Mentor
I have been too lazy to update the Kenyan tidal wave thread, but so many medalists at major meets to journeymen who rob semi pro North American and European runners of modest 20K winners purses have been busted since I started that thread.

Ps I doubt this will happen but the crazy Rudisha record looks fishier and fishier as more and more elite athletes from Kenya are popped. The sample from London needs to be retested.

This comes as no surprise. The middle and long distances used to be dominated by whites and North Africans and then sometime around the late 90s or so, all of a sudden these cheating Kenyan vermin started to take over. The narrative sold by the corrupt sports media has always been about their altitude training and how they grow up running because they have to run to school, etc, and it's a lifestyle for them. Utter rubbish, just like Jamaican yam nonsense. Amazing what the PC police will do to protect these black athletes while war has been declared on the Russians.

But I watched most of the Zurich races today and Kenyans still raced and won, wtf? They need to shut down the entire program, issue bans, and restate past results, just like they have been doing to Russia.

sprintstar

Mentor
Dibaba looking human this year, I guess her coach getting caught with the illegal drugs scared her clean. Obiri is next.....

sprintstar

Mentor
Schippers runs the 200m today in Brussels as well as Prandini, here's hoping they both do well. Yesterday Schippers had a terrible start in the 100m but was closing at the end, her 200m starts have been decent but she has gassed by 170-180m, hope she can close like the old Schippers.

sprintstar

Mentor
a few observations form the Asian games from Indonesia. Great facility, almost 3/4 empty even at night. Chinese female sprinters need to learn to dip at the finish line. Japan's mens 4x100m team should have been DQ's after the qualification runs as the third leg clearly stepped out of his lane, guess they wanted a China, Japan, Bahrain finale. India and Chinese Tapai have some good athletes especially in the mens 100/200m. Indonesia beat the Chinese mens team in the 4x100m. Su Bingtain cannot run the bend to save his own life, he should have been 4th leg, The 4th runner for Chinese womens relay team should have started not finished, their fasted sprinter ran 3rd leg cuz she runs the 2oom as well but it cost them as a Bahrainian(Nasser)400m runner outsprinted her and caught her and strided away to the win.

Even in Asia white women dominate the HJ and triple jump.

Overall enjoyable to watch but few world class performances.........

limitless

Mentor
Does anyone here have info on Devin Quinn? I see he put up a great time in April of 2018 in the 100. I hope he will not disappear like Teeters did.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Devin Quinn ran the entire collegiate season.
There was no expectation for him to run beyond that.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Well, a pretty big upset in the Men's U20 100m.
Lalu Muhammad Zohri of Indonesia, upset Anthony Schwartz of the US who was a big favorite and had had an amazing high school season.
The Asian nations are really coming on in the sprints.

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/i...re-2018-6082/news/report/men/100-metres/final

Zori of Indonesia followed up his big 100m win at the World U20 Championships earlier this year, with a 7th place finish at the Asia Games and a time of 10.20.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Jonathan Sacoor of Belgium who won the U20 400m Championships, won the 400m at the Van Damme Memorial meet a few days ago.
A big step up against senior competition.