2014 Minnesota Vikings

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Our Lads, which does the best job of keeping depth charts and rosters up to date, currently has the Vikings with 11 prospective White starters for 2014. And that's not counting Jared Allen, who they must assume will be gone in free agency, and Andrew Sendejo, who is projected as a backup.

Robison, Greenway, Smith, and Mike Mauti (MLB) are listed as the current starters on defense, with Audie Cole backing up Mauti and Sendejo backing up Smith at free safety. On offense, it's Ponder, Zach Line at FB, Kyle Rudolph, and four White o-linemen. If they sign Eric Decker, as one poster recently speculated would be a good move, that would give Minnesota a possible outright majority of White starters for 2014. Move over New England!

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Our Lads, which does the best job of keeping depth charts and rosters up to date, currently has the Vikings with 11 prospective White starters for 2014. And that's not counting Jared Allen, who they must assume will be gone in free agency, and Andrew Sendejo, who is projected as a backup.

Robison, Greenway, Smith, and Mike Mauti (MLB) are listed as the current starters on defense, with Audie Cole backing up Mauti and Sendejo backing up Smith at free safety. On offense, it's Ponder, Zach Line at FB, Kyle Rudolph, and four White o-linemen. If they sign Eric Decker, as one poster recently speculated would be a good move, that would give Minnesota a possible outright majority of White starters for 2014. Move over New England!

Along with the Eagles, they had the most whites (25) on their roster to open the 2013 campaign. What concerns me about Minnesota moving forward is new head coach, Mike Zimmer. After assuming the defensive coordinator role in Cincinnati in 2008 (the year Justin Smith signed with SF), the bastard only featured “white special teams mascots” such as Dan Skuta, Tom Nelson, and Corey Lynch…none of whom ever played, accept for in “emergency” situations. DT Nick Hayden was on the roster for a brief period under Zimmer a few years ago, but he never played, either. When Skuta signed with the 49ers, he was replaced by white LB, JK Schaffer, another “white water boy” with no chance of ever starting on defense. In 2013, the team drafted athletic freak, DE Margus Hunt, but he rarely played under Zimmer. The fact is that in his 6 seasons as the Bengals’ DC, he never featured a single white starter on defense, and usually kept 1-2 white back-ups to cover punts and kickoffs. Of course, with the lily-white defensive personnel in Minnesota, it may take a few seasons for this Casteon Gatekeeper to impose his “tastes”...

Bengals-defensive-line-300x200.jpg
'
CAPTION: Zimmer's Zulus

As for Decker, I’ve mostly seen his name connected to the Raiders, Jets and Redskins. As others have mentioned, pairing Decker with Jennings, Patterson, Rudolph, Carlson, and Peterson would make for a dynamic, white-friendly offense. NFL.com mentions Decker’s connection to Minnesota and their ability to afford him…

The Redskins currently have their WR1 in Pierre Garcon; would they pay $10 million for a guy who thinks he's a No. 1 and fits in as a No. 2? The club can afford Decker. So can the Vikings, who don't really have a top guy, despite signing Greg Jennings to a $45 million deal last offseason. Decker was a Minnesota Golden Gopher, but do the Minnesota Vikings want to roll the dice in free agency again? Interesting call. On that note, the Patriots have been mentioned often as a landing spot, but methinks they won't have -- or won't want to spend -- the financial resources it would take to land Decker.

Like all white free agent WR’s who come available, DWF’s seem to think Decker will land in New England, but I don’t see it happening.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Good news after what had to be the blackest NFL season I have ever experienced. It seems like 5 white starters was the norm for most teams this year. The (slightly improved) NBA and (rapidly declining) NFL seem to be converging to a similar level of blackness.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Vikings aren't going to re-sign FA Jared Allen. That became all but a certainty when DE Everson Griffin was signed to a $42.5 million contract.

More ominously, Minnesota has signed journeyman ILB Jasper Brinkley. Much as I like the name "Jasper," it's not a good signing given that it previously looked like Audie Cole and Mike Mauti were going to battle it out for the starting MLB position. That may still happen, but between the signing of Brinkley and the upcoming draft, and any other free agent signings of linebackers, the Vikings may have decided they stick out demographically "like a sore thumb" on defense and want to revert to the league mean of few to no White defensive starters. As of now it looks like Brian Robison, Chad Greenway and Harrison Smith are still starters, but after them. . . it would be tough to see a scrub like Brinkley start over young talents Cole and Mauti.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The Vikings aren't going to re-sign FA Jared Allen. That became all but a certainty when DE Everson Griffin was signed to a $42.5 million contract.

More ominously, Minnesota has signed journeyman ILB Jasper Brinkley. Much as I like the name "Jasper," it's not a good signing given that it previously looked like Audie Cole and Mike Mauti were going to battle it out for the starting MLB position. That may still happen, but between the signing of Brinkley and the upcoming draft, and any other free agent signings of linebackers, the Vikings may have decided they stick out demographically "like a sore thumb" on defense and want to revert to the league mean of few to no White defensive starters. As of now it looks like Brian Robison, Chad Greenway and Harrison Smith are still starters, but after them. . . it would be tough to see a scrub like Brinkley start over young talents Cole and Mauti.

Allen had a slightly down year last season with 11.5 sacks. He will be 32 in less than a month so it will be interesting to see how much he actually has left in thank. By mid 30's, just about all NFL players decline tremendously. I could see a team giving him a one or two year deal, nothing more.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Good for Allen. Bout time he gets out of Minnesota I hope he signs with a playoff contender. As for the Vikings I hope they draft Bridgewater and not Manziel to give me even more reason to cheer against them.

Wes Woodhead

Mentor
The ridiculousness dosent get anymore blatant than not resigning Jarod Allen. What an obvious case of racial discrimination. I like Allen 10 times more since he started buying, and raising PBR bucking bulls.

PamelaOC

Banned
Sadly, it's looking like the 2014 NFL season will be the darkest ever.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Sadly, it's looking like the 2014 NFL season will be the darkest ever.

Chin up, Pamela! That same lament can be made every year at this time, and many additional times as well. Just wait until you see comments in the annual white player cutdown thread! I don't really see a huge downturn in white numbers, or an uptick either. It's just par for the course in the Negro Football League. In spite of the grand disappointment that was the Stupor Bowl, whites made unprecedented (in this day and age, anyway) progress at WR and RB. I don't really see it getting worse (or better, for that matter), but the effort to keep whitey down will continue.

PamelaOC

Banned
The number of white NFL starters went down from 190 in 2012 to 172 in 2013. That's a drop of almost 10% - quite steep. I think Those In Power are working overtime to walk that increasingly fine line between making the NFL as anti-white as possible without crossing the tipping point which would lead to a mass exodus of fed-up white fans. Although I don't see another 10% drop for the 2014 numbers - a decline that steep is unsustainable - I think the number of whites will keep declining slowly. We'll likely see a figure in the 165-170 range this year. A shallower drop but still the darkest year ever.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
The Vikings would do well for themselves if they drafted Johnny Manziel. He would provide some spark for the team and some excitement for the fans.

Manziel has the potential to be a good pro quarterback. If they have the chance the Vikings should spend their first round pick on him.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Manziel would be a good fit there. I still think the Texans or Browns will probably end up with him. Would rather see him in Texas. I want to see Zach Line get more chances to shine this year. Gerhart leaving is just the opportunity that Line needs.

referendum

Mentor
Pamela, last season we did start off at a horrible low of about 170 total white starters, but we were back up to the high 170's by the middle of the season, and that number has been pretty par for the course over the last few years. This coming year is of course too early to tell, but it won't be too much different.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Pamela, last season we did start off at a horrible low of about 170 total white starters, but we were back up to the high 170's by the middle of the season, and that number has been pretty par for the course over the last few years. This coming year is of course too early to tell, but it won't be too much different.
yeah but she has a point, we seem to about 5 to 10 every so often, how far are they willing to push it?
The only good thing is that the few Whites that get a fair shot, tend to stick around for a long time. Mostly like defensive ends like Jared Allen and Justin Smith and linebackers (Brian Urlacher, Zach Thomas), as well as our offensive linemen. Even though we have gained some ground at s, and a smaller amount at rb, those guys are just a few plays away from being caste aside, usually bouncing around the leauge as journeymen type if they are lucky like a Matt Giordano who has been nothing but well above average when given a chance to start. This whole White receiver thing is kind of new compared to the decades before it, so it will be interesting to see. Im curious to see what Welker's role will be this year, and if he will get enough targets to get 1k. I guess you could take a look at someone like a Brandon Stokley who came before the new wave of White receiers we see today, and he is finally done this year at the age of 37.

even with the caste system starting way early for kids playing football, and then the ones who do succeed getting screwed over by recruiting services and scholarship offers, if everyone of those guys was given a legit chance in the NFL, we'd probably be at least 50 percent in the league

Upside

Mentor
2014 Position Battles/Outlook

While I admit the hiring of Mike Zimmer worries me, I still feel the Vikings will be one of my favorite teams to keep an eye on this season. Here are some of the battles to watch:

QB - Matt Cassel vs. Christian Ponder vs. Teddy Bridgewater ... Matt Cassel should easily win the starting job, but the pessimist in me is expecting this thing to be handed to Bridgewater on silver platter. If Ponder plays poorly in preseason and gets cut, I think his chances of being a NFL starter are over; best case scenario is he plays well, and gets traded to an Arizona or a team where he can compete in the future.

2nd RB/FB - Matt Asiata vs. Zach Line vs. Jerome Felton ... Clearly Line is the best athlete here, but there are a few scenarios; First he could win the FB job, and would be considered a 'starter', but would get very few touches, and possibly get type-cast as a FB, thus never getting a chance as a running back. Or he could win the back up RB spot, and get a handful of token touches, but would receive the Toby Gerhart treatment.

MLB - Audie Cole vs. Jasper Brinkley vs. Mike Mauti ... Brinkley has been handed a starting job on a number of occasions, and as shown he is a backup at best. I think Cole again impresses in preseason, takes the job, and never looks back. Mauti definitely has a future in the league, but unfortunately, I doubt it'll be with the Vikes.

SS - Jamarca Sanford vs. Andrew Sendejo ... Its been said many of times, but Sendejo impressed the hell out of me last season. The man plays the run with reckless abandon and is pretty good in coverage as well, and for them to hand this thing back to Sanford would be unbelievable. Sanford has been a below average safety his entire career, so if its an open competition, Sendejo takes it.

I'll really be following the Linebacker and Safety battles, and even if our guys don't win their starting positions, the Vikings' defense features three big-time playmakers in Brian Robison, Chad Greenway, and Harrison Smith.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's important that Line wins the backup job behind Peterson. If he does, and Rex Burkhead hangs on in Cincy and Tyler Gaffney makes the Panthers, and then add them to Gerhart, Woodhead and maybe Brian Leonard and Peyton Hillis, there could be up to 7 White running backs in the league this season, compared to one or none as the norm for the past 25 years.

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I have no doubt that Sewerwater will be given the Geno Smiff treatment in Minnesota. He is going to be handed the starting position no matter what his performance is more than likely. I hope I am wrong and he stinks it up and the light finally goes on for Ponder under Norv Turner and he improves and is able to recapture the starting QB job. Again, I am not hopeful for this - the template has been established for black QBs in the league - Smiff and Manuel were both terrible to below average last season and they are pretty much uncontested regarding their starting positions going into 2014. Even the media's black savior Gremlintheturd played pretty mediocre last year and will continue to be treated like an entitled baby this season.

I do hope that Line is able to stick to the roster. I think he has a good chance.

Don don't forget Jordan Lynch may be able to gain a roster spot as an RB with Chicago. In all honesty the GM and Trestman both seem to be highly complimentary regarding Lynch's ability as a runner.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Lynch would be another young White RB in the NFL if Chicago gives him a chance.

Burkhead worries me the most right now. He's very talented and would excel in the NFL but currently he's buried behind three "real" running backs on the Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis plantation, and who knows if another team would pick him up if he gets cut this year or after he continued to rot on the bench for another year or two.

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Yes, Lynch would be another young White RB in the NFL if Chicago gives him a chance.

Burkhart worries me the most right now. He's very talented and would excel in the NFL but currently he's buried behind three "real" running backs on the Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis plantation, and who knows if another team would pick him up if he gets cut this year or after he continued to rot on the bench for another year or two.

Yea, I am not to optimistic for Rex either. Hopefully Benjarvis Green-Ellis is cut rather than Burkhead. If BJGE was white he would never have gotten the opportunity to start in the league. I don't dislike him, he seems decent as a person but due to having black skin he has been able to log major carriers and his career avg is under 4ypc.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I can't believe I referred to Burkhead as "Burkhart" in two different posts. :laugh: Had to edit those gaffes, pre-senile dementia must be kicking in.

icsept

Master
I can't believe I referred to Burkhead as "Burkhart" in two different posts. :laugh: Had to edit those gaffes, pre-senile dementia must be kicking in.
Lol. Burkhart and Gerhead are two of the best white running backs we've got.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Lol. Burkhart and Gerhead are two of the best white running backs we've got.

Gearhead is now playing for the Jaguars but they could use a good backup.

It Burkhart is cut by the Bengals the Jaguars should pick him up.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer

Woody

Guru
I think you mean Josh Cooper, Football Dad. Adam Theilen has gotten good reviews in training camp, I doubt they will carry 2 white WRs on the 53, hope one of them makes it.