2012 Indoor Track Season

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Guliyev only raced in the 200 and he finished in 3rd in at very fast time of 21.05! I wish he could have run the 60 as well.

greyghost

Mentor
indoors

dont forget k. shabanov the russian 60m hurdler, he has to be a candidate for world indoor medal , he has been consistently in the mid to low 7.5s:biggrin:

albinosprint

Mentor
the Rocket looked very good in the 200m against Lemaitre. considering he ran from the inside lane.

trackster

Mentor
I just turned on the Big East championships for a peek and timed it perfectly. Chris Giestings, Notre Dame Freshman, finished second in the 500, which isn't a regular event. However, he ran a faster time than roided Olympic Gold medalist LaShawn Merritt ran over the same distance on the same track a week before (this was announced over the PA). Definitely a promising youngster in the 400.

trackster

Mentor
The Simplot games--a huge high school indoor meet--were just held. Items of note:

1) Hannah Cunliffe (you guys keep asking about her) had the best preliminary time out of 103 athletes. However, in the finals she finished third. The winner was MaryBeth Sant, the blonde streak who has also been mentioned on these boards, but has received far less attention. Sant has wicked fast leg turnover.

2) Blonde Canadian Sage Watson annihilated the competition in the girl's 400 with a blazing (indoor) time of 53.91 that beat the second place finisher by nearly three full seconds. That's a breathtaking margin of victory, especially given that these were not average h.s. runners but generally runners running for track clubs rather than their schools. I believe Watson has been ranked Youth #1 at the 400 hurdles. Remember the name. She will be running for Florida State next year.

3) Alex Mead won the boy's 200 in a splendid indoor time of 22.02, and he's only a high school junior. Glen Taylor finished second, and Austin Mitsch (seen in earlier video here) third. That's a clean sweep, gentlemen.

4) Cole Lambourne took the 400. Is this getting to be a trend?

5) Tyler Smith, a junior, smoked nationally famous h.s. runner Strymar Livingston by TWO AND A HALF seconds in the 800. I've seen dozens of headlines about Livingston. No one ever mentions the kid Smith. Here's a video of Smith winning the previous year's Simplot 800 when he was only a sophomore.

6) In the 1600 meters (basically a mile), Brad Nye ran a fantastic 4:12. Why fantastic? Because it was indoors and at 4,500 feet altitude. And because he's in high school! Nye blasted the final 200 in 27.3. And, oh yeah, that's the number one time in the country this year, at any altitude.

7) Even more impressive, given the altitude, Dallin Farnsworth, ran a meet record 9:10 in the 3200 meters. Why more impressive? Because that's the #2 time in the country, behind only a Kenyan transfer who is about 25 yrs old and ran his time at sea level with professionals to pace him. Farnsworth ran at altitude against high school kids. Here's an article on Dye and Farnsworth.

Wow. What a bunch of performances, right? Boys victories in the 200, 400, 800, 1600, and 3200. If anyone finds videos, post them. I know that was a lot to remember, but just try to hang on to those names--Sant, Cunliffe, Sage Watson, Alex Mead, Glen Taylor, Austin Mitsch, Cole Lambourne, Brad Nye, and Dallin Farnsworth. An impressive bunch.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Very good news trackster in the boys 200 finals. When is the last time we had a white sweep with the nations top high school sprinters at the Simplot Games? Probably not since the 1960's. Things are looking up. I really love your updates and videos my friend. I've been really busy with work lately and haven't been able to post as much. I look forward to your posts as well as many of the other long time posters here. Thanks guys. I should have more time to post in the coming months.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It's good to see Michael LeBlanc get another win. He is back. He is close to the 6.50's range. Maybe with a little more training. It's great to see him winning races again for the first time in a long time!

trackster

Mentor
Found a few videos.

I'm not sure how fast Hannah Cunliffe can be in the future. She now has a body like a Victoria's Secret model. She's still fast, but sheesh. Here's the now voluptuous long-legged beauty humiliating her rivals in an early heat. But if this continues she'll be too curvy for athletics.

By contrast, Marybeth Sant is, by contrast, just a sprite, and here she outruns HC in the finals.

Just browsing the IAAF top lists and noticed Anna Chicherova has the top 4 indoor high jumps in the world right now. She has jumped a 2.06 which is only .02 off the world record! I did a little research on her and found that she is married to Kazakhstan sprinter Gennadiy Chernovol(100m pb of 10.18). I believe they recently had a baby as it looks like she hasn't competed for a few years. Their offspring should be fun to watch in 10-15 years!

greyghost

Mentor
greg cackett

watch out for young brit greg cackett of the belgrave club london , pb indoors at 6.68 after bearly a year of proper sprinter based training , coached by "thee" margot wells, and andrew robertson a new pb of 6.61

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I forgot to ask, any news on Craig Pickering? I'm assuming he is just concentrating on the outdoors but I haven't even heard anything about his training. Thanks guys.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/...-world-elite/story-13245382-detail/story.html

Another article about Cackett.
Apparently he was going to come to the US to play football (I assume that means soccer), and was spotted by Margot Wells while training. She is Allan Wells' wife and was also his coach.
So she should know a good sprinter when she sees one.
Actually Cackett is built like Wells, fairly muscular, but perhaps shorter.

trackster

Mentor
Jelena Isinbajeva just set a new world record for the indoor pole vault today. She's back.

Very few interesting runners at the event. Kszczot had a rare off day, finishing way down the line. I don't know why. The race wasn't that fast, given the names involved. Welshman Joe Thomas showed improvement. I expect more from Lewandowski, Borzakowski, and K.

1Mohamed Aman94Ethiopia1:45.84
2Marcin Lewandowski87Poland1:46.02
3Yuri Borzakowski81Russia1:46.19
4Joe Thomas88Great Britain1:46.33
5Adam Kszczot89Poland1:47.06
6Boaz Lalang89Kenya1:47.41
7Musaeb Balla89Qatar1:47.85
PB

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I was going to post that too but was bummed about the result. On the bright side, whites took 4 of the top 5 spots over 800 meters!:biggrin:

It's great to see Jelena back! She is one of the greatest female athletes on earth. I have no doubt that she could do the heptathalon.

I'm excited about the young british movement. They have so many great white track athletes. The sprints, hurdles, middle distance and distance events. They even have the world record holder in the womens marathon although she is alot older now(Paula Radcliffe). It makes you wonder. If a little country like Great Britain can find so many exceptional white athletes, imagine if only the U.S. would start looking. We have such a huge population of people of european ancestry to choose from. Almost 70% of the country. Man oh man do I wish athletics would catch on here in a big way.

trackster

Mentor
I'm looking forward to that showdown. It's high time Galen FINALLY got over his mental hurdle and beat the old master, Lagat. It wouldn't quite be as sweet as LeMaitre beating Bolt (my number one track fantasy, although I'm not holding my breath), but it would be very sweet.

C'mon, Galen!!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
we rarely mention the multi-event guys, but the University of Arkansas has two VERY impressive youngsters to keep an eye on.

Gunnar Nixon, a 6-foot-4 freshman for the Razorbacks from Edmond, Okla., scored a world junior record of 6,022 points in the Razorback Invitational two weeks ago. at the time, Nixon's mark was also the 2012 world leader, an American junior record, the top mark in the NCAA this year and a school record (breaking the record set last year by Arkansas' then-freshman Kevin Lazas). Nixon is the only junior competitor (aged 20 and under) EVER to score more than 6,000 points in a heptathlon. during his standout prep career, Nixon established three national high school records in the decathlon: 8,035 points with high school implements, 7,748 points with junior implements, and 7,577 points with international implements. At the 2011 USA Junior Track and Field Championships, he finished second in the decathlon behind current Razorback teammate Kevin Lazas.

gunnarnixonrecord.jpg

now a sophomore, Arkansas' Kevin Lazas (who we talked about a little bit last year) scored 5,920 points at the same meet. as a true freshman a year ago, Lazas set every heptathlon and decathlon record at Arkansas en route to being named a two-time All-American. after the collegiate season ended, he won decathlon gold medals at the USA Junior Championships and Pan Am Junior Championships over the summer. His point total of 8,016 in the decathlon at the USA Junior Championships is an American junior record and the No. 2 all-time performance using junior-size implements.

both of these young men are incredible talents to watch, both now and for the future.

one last comment ... Arkansas has the top 4x400 team in the nation, just missing setting a nation indoor record at the same meet. their time of 3:03.76 was just .25 seconds off the all-time record. furthermore, the team consists of three White athletes (who we've mentioned before): junior Marek Niit (opening leg), senior Ben Skidmore (third leg), and sophomore Neil Braddy (anchor). i've posted the video of that run below. pay attention to the negro announcer who seems astounded that these White sprinters can actually run. he even manages a couple of caste comments as the White streaks outrun his favored negroes.

[video=youtube;jGUyq4Eo2dk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGUyq4Eo2dk[/video]

the below snippet is from a story on the performance with emphasis added by me:
Arkansas' performance represents the fastest time in the world this year, the second-fastest time in NCAA history and the No. 11 time ever run by a 4x400-meter relay team. The foursome finished just .25 off the collegiate record of 3:03.51 set by Florida in 2005. On the all-time list, the Razorbacks moved past the 2004 Baylor team that included Olympic gold medalists Jeremy Wariner and Darold Williamson.

"What those guys did is significant when you're talking about running the second-fastest (collegiate) time ever," head coach Chris Bucknam said. "One of the more impressive things about that race is how comfortable each guy looked and how their legs didn't look tired after a long weekend. It all comes back to (sprints coach) Doug Case who is doing a great job with that group."

fastest4x4intheworldthisyear.jpg

this is what a world-leading 3:03.76 4x400 team looks like.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
while i'm talking about SEC speedsters, i should also mention that LSU's hurdling champion Barrett Nugent is right back where he wants to be: atop the SEC standings.

Nugent, now a senior and the defending NCAA Champion in the 110-hurdles outdoors and the runner-up in the 60-hurdles indoors, is currently sitting atop the SEC lists with an early-season 7.70. for anyone who cares about his progression, that time is only .09 seconds off his seasonal-best run last year (in the championship final). hopefully, his speed continues to develop, and he once again reigns supreme. i wonder how fast he can run on the flat? i know he ran some relays for LSU last year, but i'd like to see more of his straight sprinting this year. regardless, the kid can really move.

just imagine how fast he'd be if he didn't have stiff hips! :icon_rolleyes:

below is a video from last year that i don't think has been posted to the boards. it's a race last year between Nugent and the defending World Champion Ryan Brathwaite. pretty cool, says i.

[video=youtube;-6WK_dCll2s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6WK_dCll2s[/video]