2012 Indoor Track Season

trackster

Mentor
Seeing as no one else has posted it, I should mention some of the results from the New Balance meet this Saturday:

1) The best result was the mile
[FONT=&quot] 1) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ciaran O’Lionaird - IRL - 3:56.01[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
2) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Taylor Milne - CAN - 3:56.40[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
3) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galen Rupp - USA - 3:57.10[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
4) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Mo Farah - GBR - 3:57.92[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
5) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Russell Brown - USA - 4:00.79[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
6) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Liam Boylan-Pett - USA - 4:01.47[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
7) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Robert Novak - USA - 4:02.98[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
8) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Matthew Scherer - USA - DNF[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
9) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]James Brewer - GBR - DNF[/FONT]

o'Lionaird, formerly the Bullet with the Mullet but he's since cut his celebrated hair, is part of an Irish renaissance in the mile. Eammon Coghlan's son, John, recently broke 4:00 for the first time (though he's clearly not on par with his father). McCarthy ran that huge race recently.

It was also good to see Galen Rupp do so well, given that he's really a longer distance runner.

The 3000 didn't go as well, and was dominated by the usual Kenyans. However, Canadian Cam Levins (running for lowly southern Utah) continued to show that he is becoming a force to be reckoned with.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
more top rate hurdling from the Europeans....
Emanuale Abbate of Italy set a national record of 7.57 in the 60m hurdles.
Helge Schwarzer of Germany ran 7.58 in a different meet.
Hope some of these guys can show us some good times in the 110m hurdles once the outdoor season starts.

trackster

Mentor
Some interesting results have trickled in this Friday. Unfortunately, as has been the case all year, no videos, so all we have to discuss are the numbers.

1) The biggie: Kszczot just blew away a field of four Kenyans and one Sudanese in Dusseldorf. The margin of victory was enormous, and in fact K's time was nearly two seconds faster than the previous world best for 2012. A week ago, K broke the 600 record, as I recall. I've been harping on this guy for a while now. He actually seems to be pulling away from our crowded field of great young 800 runners. As unbeatable as Kenyan Rudisha seems, K may just give him a run for the Olympic gold.

2) Also, not too shabby--Marek Niit and Neil Braddy (how many times have I typed those names?) just scorched identical indoor 46.28 indoor 400's tonight. To put those times into perspective, going into the evening, only ONE 400 had been run faster this year that wasn't at altitude, and it was by the likely Olympic champion, Kirani James. Niit and Braddy did it at sea level. They also beat Caleb Williams and Torrin Lawrence, who are threats to make the almighty US 400 team. The fact that Braddy is doing this at such a young age is especially promising.

3) in more ordinary news, Blum and Reuss finished 4 and 5 with identical 6.66 times in Dusseldorf.

trackster

Mentor
I found this video introducing Kszczot. Seeing as he is just a kid but emerging as the clear LeMaitre of the 400, you guys will want to get to know him.

Sheesh, we've got some exciting young ones to watch in the 800, but this kid could be another Coe.

waterbed

Mentor
Another interesting result from Russia. Kszczot and Borzakovsky beat all three Kenyans, including big names Kiplagat and Lalang in the 600:

the best east africans are better then best whites when it is further then 670 meters , 600 is less then that so not so crazy whitey won

best from 0-670 meters +-670 meters longer then 670 meters
west african blacks equality WA blacks, whites, east african blacks east african black
whites whites
east africans west african blacks

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Kszczot is special. That is a great video. The guy just has that eye of the tiger. All of the great ones have it. He really has a powerfull build for a middle distance runner. We are watching the beginning of a long and incredible career. Let's get behind this kid. The fact that he destroyed the Kenyans by over 2 seconds just goes to show what amount of talent this kid has. Simply amazing. Thanks for the video.

waterbed

Mentor
dont know what happened

best from 0-670 meters west african blacks, then whites, then east african blacks.
+-670: equality between the three
longer then 670 meters : east african blacks,, then whites and then west african blacks.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Sven Knipphals won his 200 heat today in the U.K. Indoor Champs in a blazing time of 21.14! This is the 3rd fastest time in Europe thus far. He went on the win the final as Danny Talbot did not show up. The 60 heats and finals will be tommorow.

Jared Connaugton will open up his 60 season tommorow. I'm anxious to see what type of form he is in.

I'm a little worried about Ramil Guliyev. He has to get his false starts under control. Lemaitre stuggled with the same problem for a while but has fixed the problem. I want to see "Rocket" Ramil do the same thing. This kid has so much upside. I really want to see him be only the 2nd white sprinter to go sub 10 and sub 20! Hopefully this summer will be his huge breakthrough!

greyghost

Mentor
ramil

no worries ramil will be ready for the euros , he is just such a hell of a competitor, outdoors is where its at and both CL and ramil will be ready to push each other on:biggrin:, i have sneaky suspicion ramil will do something special over 200m

trackster

Mentor
Galen did it! Everyone was betting against him, but Galen Rupp just broke Bernard Lagat's US record in the two mile. Ironically, the two traded records, as just minutes earlier, in Arkansas, Lagat broke Rupp's record in the 5k.

Rupp's going to be a real medal threat at the Olympics, Kenyans be damned.

trackster

Mentor
In other news, both Russell Brown and Ciaran 0'Lionard ran in the 3:54's for the mile tonight, which is pretty phenomenal. Unfortunately, they were running in what the Let's Run experts called the greatest indoor mile field of the past decade, possibly all time. So they lost to the Kenyans, but they are getting closer.

The ranks of good milers is just getting so crowded now. Super-frosh Robbie "Creese Lightning" Creese went under 4 today for the first time, just adding to his sterling accomplishments in the 1000 and 800 so far this year. He finished second behind a kid from Princeton (I'm forgetting his name) who is really coming on. In a Friday night event, five more of our collegians went under four.

On the women's side, Katie Flood has continued her awe-inspiring year. She's just a sophomore, I believe, but was awarded second in a photo-finish with a Kenyan Olympic medalist.

Arkansas took the 4 by 400 in their meet, and Neil Braddy's anchor was the fastest of any runner, a blistering 45.45.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Excellent updates my friend. Your knowledge of middle distance and distance running is a thing of beauty. I'm starting to follow this races a little more closely now. It's probably due to your passion for them. G. Rupp is a stud. I have watched him run countless times and he looks so smooth and fluid. I need to watch Brady run more as I've only seen him once.

Any updates on Hannah Cunliffe? I don't want to see her regress. I hoping she can continue to get faster.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
has the young female sprinter Hannah Cunliffe done anything of note recently? i've not seen her name mentioned lately ...

trackster

Mentor
And speaking of records falling...Miles Batty of BYU just broke the NCAA record for the indoor mile!

I haven't caught wind of anything from Hannah Cunliffe lately.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Andy Robertson took 2nd to Dwain Chambers in a pb of 6.61 at a major meet in Britain today.
Andrew Pozzi also pr'd in 7.62 for 1st place in the hurdles.

trackster

Mentor
I've been enjoying the rise of UK 60 indoor silver medalist Andrew Robertson. Here's an interview in which he mentions that he's coaching himself and training between part-time jobs. I'm hoping his improved 60s bode well for his specialty, the 200 in the outdoor season.

Another young Brit, hurdler Andrew Pozzi, has been on our radar lately. Here's his interview.

Also, we haven't mentioned him much, but Welshman, Joe Thomas, now the UK indoor champ in the 800, joins the ranks of promising young ones in that event. CHECK OUT THE HAIR.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Great videos. It kind of makes me a little sad about Andrew Robertson. Dallas Robinson of the U.S. was very talented too but had to work a full time job and had very little coaching. He could have maybe be the first Lemaitre type. He is a very tall sprinter but wasted away his talent working at a tire shop. If you don't have sponsorship and coaching, it's almost impossible to compete. I hope that U.K. Athletics considers at least giving partial funding to Robertson. He is only 21 and he has so much talent. His start is expolosive. His only drawback is his height but there have been many gifted short sprinters. Good luck to him and the other guys.

trackster

Mentor
As if the LeMaitre/Guliyev double face off (60 and 200) isn't enough, the Lieven meet on Valentine's Day will also feature young Adam Kszczot (the LeMaitre of the 800) versus Borzakovsky. What a meet! And I'll be working all day.

Oh, and speaking of Valentine's, lovely Ivet Lalova is back to her winning ways already.

albinosprint

Mentor
I can't wait for tomorrow. its going to be a great meet. Hey lightning, have you found a video link for the race tomorrow? also, did you get my text?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Welcome to the board oldspeed. I'm glad Michael LeBlanc continues to pursue his dream. I wonder if Canada if going to give him any funding. I doubt it as most countries around the world are really tightening up their athletics budgets. As a college sophmore, I thought Mike had a good shot of an eventual sub 10. He had run 10.16 and finished 4th in the nation at the NCAA 100 Meters National Finals. It has been a very rocky road since then with injuries and alot of up and down times. It would be really nice to see him work his way all the way back. This guy loves the sport.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
A picture worth a thousand words. Conrats to Galen Rupp on a new american record in the two mile run! This kid is incredible.

678237_e7pkzVdjtvnyPRyPt8WU_o.jpg

albinosprint

Mentor
What happen to Guliyev? I thought he was racing today with Lemaitre?