2011 NY Giants

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget Sean Bennett, who was surprisingly drafted far earlier than expected -- most "scouts" didn't expect him to get drafted at all, then he was per usual screwed over, though he did start a game or two in '99, then had some injuries and never carried the ball again.

The Giants in the late '90s were an interesting team -- they had Sehorn starting at CB, had drafted Bennett as a tailback, and also drafted WR Joe Jurevicious in the second round of the '98 draft, but Joe was never "allowed" to start though he had all the tools to be a dominating receiver (similar to the way the Giants drafted Ed McCaffrey in the third round but never let him start either; McCaffrey was 30 before he finally started for Denver). But that strange semi-Caste-challenging phase quickly ended and the Giants have been a typical Caste team ever since.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Don't forget Sean Bennett, who was surprisingly drafted far earlier than expected -- most "scouts" didn't expect him to get drafted at all, then he was per usual screwed over, though he did start a game or two in '99, then had some injuries and never carried the ball again.

The Giants in the late '90s were an interesting team -- they had Sehorn starting at CB, had drafted Bennett as a tailback, and also drafted WR Joe Jurevicious in the second round of the '98 draft, but Joe was never "allowed" to start though he had all the tools to be a dominating receiver (similar to the way the Giants drafted Ed McCaffrey in the third round but never let him start either; McCaffrey was 30 before he finally started for Denver). But that strange semi-Caste-challenging phase quickly ended and the Giants have been a typical Caste team ever since.

I followed the Giants closely during the late 90's but I was unaware of the caste system then. I was shocked to see a white running back actually getting some starts as well as a starting white corner. The local paper once did an article on Sehorn and it was the usual about him being the lone white corner in the league. The article did mention his impressive athleticism(4.4 40 and I believe around a 40 inch vertical) and also mentioned that he was among the best corners in the league. Sehorn was said to be too slow later in his career and moved to safety.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sehorn was drafted as a safety even though he was an outstanding cornerback at USC and for his first two seasons with the Giants was a backup and WSTD. It wasn't until his third season that he was moved to CB and he immediately excelled. After the '97 season the Giants decided he would return kickoffs and in a preseason game in '98 he was hit in the knee during a return and subsequently missed the entire 1998 season and was never as fast after he returned, eventually being moved to safety.

I was just checking his career stats on Pro Football Reference and in his first two seasons at cornerback Sehorn had 83 and 75 solo tackles, amazingly high for someone at that position, to go along with 5 and 6 interceptions in those two years. After returning from his missed season his tackling totals dropped off considerably.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
It's the midway point of the season and I felt it was finally time to give Eli Manning some praise. Eli has taken alot of criticism over the years in the MSM and surprisingly, by some here at CF. Thus far Eli is having his best season and the best prolonged stretch since his 2007 Super Bowl run.

Eli is on pace to set personal bests in completion percentage, passing yards and QB rate. He is currently 5th in the NFL in QB rate. The other important stat, that has haunted Eli in the past, is interceptions. After leading the league last year with 25, he is currently at 6. This clearly has a great deal to do with his success.

If the most important mark of success for a QB is winning, then Eli is excelling there as well. The Giants are 6-2 and Eli has looked like his brother, leading 4th quarter comebacks against the Patriots, Dolphins, Bills, Cardinals & Eagles. He leads the NFL in 4th quarter QB rating. He's also had to play this year with injuries on the OL and in the receiving corps, a starting "rookie" tight end and a less than stellar running game.

The Giants are in the middle of a tough stretch so we will see if Eli can keep up his high level of play. Consistency has always been the difference between him and Peyton.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
How many whites are the Giants starting nowadays? From roughly 2006-1010 they had a reliable 7 white starters. Most of this was due to an almost all white O-line, QB and TE.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
How many whites are the Giants starting nowadays? From roughly 2006-1010 they had a reliable 7 white starters. Most of this was due to an almost all white O-line, QB and TE.

It's less than that now. I believe it's six, three offensive lineman, Manning, Ballard, and Hynoski at fullback. I say I believe it's six because some depth charts have Hynoski listed as the starter but according to NFL.com he's only played in 5 games and started three. The usual coal black Giants defense is in place. Dave Tollefson did start two games on defense this year I believe due to injuries. Mark Herzlich is a backup linebacker and they also have Tyler Sash who played a little this season.

Sehorn was drafted as a safety even though he was an outstanding cornerback at USC and for his first two seasons with the Giants was a backup and WSTD. It wasn't until his third season that he was moved to CB and he immediately excelled. After the '97 season the Giants decided he would return kickoffs and in a preseason game in '98 he was hit in the knee during a return and subsequently missed the entire 1998 season and was never as fast after he returned, eventually being moved to safety.

I was just checking his career stats on Pro Football Reference and in his first two seasons at cornerback Sehorn had 83 and 75 solo tackles, amazingly high for someone at that position, to go along with 5 and 6 interceptions in those two years. After returning from his missed season his tackling totals dropped off considerably.

Sehorn didn't help his speed any by putting on 20 pounds when he came back from the knee injury. It was Sehorn's idea to add weight, by the way.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Sehorn didn't help his speed any by putting on 20 pounds when he came back from the knee injury. It was Sehorn's idea to add weight, by the way.
It was supposed to be part of the rehab process, then the Giants insisted hie lose 10 pounds if I recall. He lost it in 2 weeks but injured his hamstring in the process from too many sprints.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Ballard looks like he could be another star tight end in the making.
Jake Ballard's 17.2 yards per reception is first among tight ends with at least 20 receptions.

Dustin Keller is second at 15.0 yards per reception. Ballard has gone for at least 55 yards in each of his past four games, and found the end zone in three of his past five games. If you've been searching for answers at tight end, it's well past time to take a flier.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Mark Herlizch is expected to start today.

:arms: That is good to hear! I've been pulling for him to start in the NFL for a long time.

referendum

Mentor
The Giants have resigned Chase Blackburn. He looked awesome when he started against the 49ers a few years ago. I remember the black sportstalk show host on KNBR showing him some serious respect after the game.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I can completely understand it if they were packing it in. After all, they're only making a few hundred thousand dollars or so per game to go all-out on 50 or 60 seven-second plays over a three hour period, about six minutes or so of actual game action. They're grossly underpaid, I don't think we realize how bad these guys have it on modern day plantations.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I can completely understand it if they were packing it in. After all, they're only making a few hundred thousand dollars or so per game to go all-out on 50 or 60 seven-second plays over a three hour period, about six minutes or so of actual game action. They're grossly underpaid, I don't think we realize how bad these guys have it on modern day plantations.
"Modern Day Slavery", as Adrian Peterson once put it.​

Thrashen

Hall of Famer

Haha, funny stuff, Don. Even when I played Division II football/track as part of a scholarship that paid around 75% of my tuition, I felt “guiltyâ€￾ for half-assing during plays or drills in practice, let alone a game or a meet.

I suppose that’s the major difference between non-white males and white males. One group is ceaselessly catered to, babied, pandered to, drenched in media/social sycophancy, slotted into colleges without the proper academic qualifications, handed athletic scholarships over more competent peers, placed into jobs they didn’t deserve, and supported in every conceivable manner…the other group is cheated, robbed, mocked, passed over, Jewed over, forgotten, socially-enslaved, and forced to work tirelessly for everything they are permitted to achieve (whilst supporting the aforementioned group from their Heeb-Hustled tax dollars).

Then again, perhaps it’s just my imagination running wild…
Andre-Smith-40-575.jpg

Woody

Guru
I groaned aloud. Why....why did he remove his shirt? Was he forced to or did he voluntarily do that?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Giants sign sumo retread who has been out of the NFL since '09 to replace another sumo retread.

Giants sign OT Ugoh to replace Andrews

December 7 - SportsDirect Inc.

The New York Giants have signed offensive tackle Tony Ugoh to fill the roster spot vacated after the team placed Stacy Andrews on injured reserve.

Andrews was hospitalized with blood clots in his lungs over the weekend. He was released two days later, but will not return to action in 2011.

Ugoh hasn't seen action in the NFL since 2009, when he was with the Indianapolis Colts. He spent part of last season with the Detroit Lions but didn't see any playing time.

Ugoh was most recently with the Las Vegas Locomotives of the United Football League.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Kevin Boothe, not so much.. :biggrin:
But he went to Cornell and is an intelligent player says the local media here. :blabla: He is by far, one of the worst of many terrible sumos to choose from.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Boothe may have the fattest ass in the league, which considering all the competition for that "honor" is no easy "accomplishment."

referendum

Mentor
Does anyone have a take on who exactly is the starter at MLB for the G men? Various depth charts have either Blackburn or Herzlich, and obviously either one is great with me, but I'm wondering if there is an black linebacker who is out for a few weeks and the white guys are just holding the spot for awhile or whether its permanent.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Does anyone have a take on who exactly is the starter at MLB for the G men? Various depth charts have either Blackburn or Herzlich, and obviously either one is great with me, but I'm wondering if there is an black linebacker who is out for a few weeks and the white guys are just holding the spot for awhile or whether its permanent.

I think Goff is their usual MLB. Blackburn has played well, he should of been their starting MLB for the past 3 seasons but he gets to wait on the street until the season is 3/4ths done before he gets a chance. Herzlich will only get better with time, I think he has a chance to stay around as long as Coughlin is around - he seems to like BC guys since he coached there - (Chris Snee is his son-in-law).

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Just wanted to give an update for the White starters and some key contributors for the Giants for their upcoming game.

QB - Eli Manning
FB - Henry Hynoski
TE - Jake Ballard
LT - David Diehl
C - David Baas
RG - Chris Snee

MLB - Chase Blackburn

Other guys who will get significant snaps are TE/FB Bear Pascoe, DE Dave Tollefson (5 sacks on the year) and S Tyler Sash was in on defense more than usual last week. LB Mark Herzlich may return from injury but would likely only contribute on special teams.

As someone who's followed the Giants for years, it is great to see Chase Blackburn starting and leading the defense in the playoffs. Blackburn made the team in 2005 as an UDFA for Akron. Always a top WSTD, Chase has also filled in due to injury at all 3 linebacker positions over the years. Every chance he's been given to start, he has performed. However, the coaching staff and NYC DWFs never have considered him for a starting spot, even with the lousy units they've had in recent years. There is some irony that Chase is starting the most important game of his career this week the same season the team parted ways with him in the offseason. Desperate, after negro by negro fell to injury, the Giants called Chase of the couch for his week 12 return. Last week he had 9 totals tackles and was very stout against the run. I hope he has a huge game against GB (he picked off Aaron Rogers in their previous meeting). He deserves a chance to start somewhere but the Giants will probably cut him when the underwhelming Jonathan Goff returns next year.

As for other gripes, I'd start Mitch Petrus at LG over blubber butt Boothe. In the 3 games Mitch started, he looked very sound. Also, RT McKenzie is showing his age and the Giants would improve with a quality White tackle in the draft.

GB should start 10 Whites to the Giants 7. It's a shame the Giants couldn't have been matched up against the San Fransisco 49ers (5 White starters) and the Packers against the Saints (5 as well). For shame.