2010 Pro Bowl Rosters

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Pretty bleak stuff, as usual.

Only two white defensive players were elected to the Bowl; DE Jared Allen of the Vikings and ILB Brian Cushing of the Texans.
smiley11.gif

A ton of choices to take offense to here, and I don't even know where to start.

EDIT: Learning to count.

Edited by: PhillyBirds

At least the AFCs O-Line looks pretty good! The only other "bright side"(sorta) is that Cushing and Matthews made it (James Laurinatis??) and hopefully, they being rookies was the majority reason why they arent starters. Its a great time for young white LBs!! Im telling you, with ZERO BIAS, 4 of the 5 top young LBs in the NFL are all white. (Cushing, Mathews, Laurinatis, and Stewart Bradley; Willis is the only afflete that would be in the Top 5).

On the other hand, both FBs are black?!? The ONLY reason both Leonard Weaver and McClain made it is because theyboth usually get5-10 touches a game. For Pro Bowl purposes, it should be calledthe "black-fullback-that-is-ALLOWED-to-touch-the-ball" position! And those defenses....its gonna be dark night in Honolulu!!!Edited by: Toby Hillis

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
It's in Miami this year.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Why does Gurode make it as a center every year now? I've seen him play frequently and he is terrible.

FootballDad said:
It's in Miami this year.

My fault. Its gonna be a dark night in Miami...Wait..I forgot its ALWAYS dark in Miami(cue song) "Its all about the U, the U..."

James

Wes Welker isn't a starting wide receiver for the AFC and is listed behind starters Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne along with reserve Brandon Marshall?

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
James said:
Wes Welker isn't a starting wide receiver for the AFC and is listed behind starters Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne along with reserve Brandon Marshall?
Just illustrates the point that the Pro Bowl is largely a popularity contest. Now Wayne and Johnson have had outstanding years and deserve their spots, but Brandon Marshall?? He just got all of that press for his petulance, and his "flair" and he gets a spot over a true player??

foobar75

Master
Hey, I'm just glad Welker made it, for the 2nd year in a row. Overall, AFC looks pretty decent on the offensive side. NFC, so-so. Defense on both sides is absolutely dismal. You got guys like Dawkins and Ray Lewis getting in mostly on name recognition.

Where do you guys see Clay Matthews? I don't see him listed, it would be awesome if he made it, and deservedly so.

foobar75 said:
Where do you guys see Clay Matthews? I don't see him listed, it would be awesome if he made it, and deservedly so.

My fault. I was reading this http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/09-nfc-pro-bowlers
and Matthews was listed as an alternate. I misread it thefirst time, thought they meant that he was on the roster but not a starter, think they mean hes not on the roster but will be if someone backs out. They did mention he got robbed though!

JReb1

Mentor
Toby Hillis said:
At least the AFCs O-Line looks pretty good! The only other "bright side"(sorta) is that Cushing and Matthews made it (James Laurinatis??) and hopefully, they being rookies was the majority reason why they arent starters. Its a great time for young white LBs!! Im telling you, with ZERO BIAS, 4 of the 5 top young LBs in the NFL are all white. (Cushing, Mathews, Laurinatis, and Stewart Bradley; Willis is the only afflete that would be in the Top 5).

<div>

I'm interested in where you'd rank Barrett Ruud because I'd rank him in the top 5-10 young LB category. He's only 26 and still hasn't reached his full potential. The dudes a beast!
</div>

Kaptain

Master
Bryant McKinnie once again makes it as a starter. Even the DWF's in Minnesota know that is a joke. The guy has been terrible (physically incapable) of blocking anybody ever since he has been in the league.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Ed Reed deserves the Rueben Brown Lifetime Achievement Award this year.
smiley21.gif
Misses five games and still voted a starter on the AFC side. A couple of Ravens fans I know said they'd rather have Tommy Z. starting instead of this overrated turd. When he was in there, there wasn't much that was special about his play.

Edit: Andre Gurode would be a good candidate for this award as well. I have seen him play too, and he isn't very good, let alone worthy of a "pro bowl" spot.Edited by: Jack Lambert

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Of course Casey "Big Snack" Hampton made the Pro-Bowl again. The fat turd came into training camp at almost 400 lbs. Only a black could be morbidly obese and be worshipped by the media and DWF's and be considered one of the best linemen in the league.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jack Lambert said:
Ed Reed deserves the Rueben Brown Lifetime Achievement Award this year.
smiley21.gif
Misses five games and still voted a starter on the AFC side. A couple of Ravens fans I know said they'd rather have Tommy Z. starting instead of this overrated turd. When he was in there, there wasn't much that was special about his play.

From Rotoworld: Ed Reed (hip) said he doesn't think he'll be able to play against the Raiders this week. Reed's hip must really be bothering him because this is a must win for the Ravens. Tom Zbikowski will start once again and won't be tested too much by Charlie Frye.

When the media and DWFs vote on the safety of the decademaybe it willcome down to a choice between perpetually injured Ed "Who Me Make a Tackle" Reed and perpetually injured Bob "Which Way to the Training Room" Sanders.Or there couldbe a last minute write-in campaignfor perpetually injured Mike "Watch Me Cry for the Cameras After My Latest Injury" Brown. But hey they're great warriors because they come back and play a game or two before getting injured again, while injury-prone Whites are dismissed as wimps and losers. Edited by: Don Wassall

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Glad to see the White starters who made it, BUT Welker needs to be starting & some of those sumos shouldn't be playing.
smiley21.gif

JReb1 said:
Toby Hillis said:

I'm interested in where you'd rank Barrett Ruud because I'd rank him in the top 5-10 young LB category. He's only 26 and still hasn't reached his full potential. The dudes a beast!

JReb1, I admit I've only seen Ruud play a few times so I wouldnt put him in my top 5 mainly cause I havent seen him play that much. Tampa Bay Bucs, with a few exceptions, is a team of players and a coach that I can barely stomach. On the other hand, I watch Texans, Green Bay, and Philly(I live in the area) often, and as far as Laurinatis and Willis, all you have to do is look at their stats!!

JReb1

Mentor
I'm not a Buc fan either since their coach and QB are complete jokes. The Bucs do start 3 white guys on defense though and I cheer for every white player who gets an opportunity to shine in spite of the Caste system regardless of their teams.

Ruud was the 2nd ranked LB going into this fantasy football season. These rankings are interesting and no doubt will be more Caucasian friendly next year.
2. Barrett Ruud, TB</font></font>

Ruud doesn't have the flashy name of Willis or the big play ability of
Harrison and Ware. But what Ruud does offer is "forget about it"Â￾
consistency. Ruud had only game last year where he failed to score five
fantasy points or more, matched by only D'Qwell Jackson of the Browns.
Chances are that he'll be the last of the tier one linebackers drafted.
But after his second consecutive season of 100 plus tackles, Ruud won't
be so unknown heading into next year as he was this year.

</font></font>http://www.fantasyfootballtrader.com/2009_preseason_linebacker_rankings.html

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Ruud is at the very least among the top ten linebackers in the NFL. So is Paul Posluszny. So is Brian Urlacher. Cushing (1st round), Laurinaitis (2nd round)and Matthews (1st round)all having big-time rookie seasons was huge, while the other linebackers drafted in the first two rounds in '09 -- Aaron Curry (1st round), Robert Ayers (1st round), Rey Maualuga (2nd round), and Clint Sintim (2nd round) -- all struggled. Throw in other young stars like Stewart Bradley, Chad Greenway, and veterans like Aaron Kampman, Keith Brooking and Matt Roth along with young players who may become stars like Dan Connor and Scott McKillop among others, and linebacker is most definitely trending away from the artificial totalblack domination of the past 20 years. It's not as good as tight end yet as far as quantity, but like TE it's moving in a brighter and Whiter direction.

Don Wassall said:
Ruud is at the very least among the top ten linebackers in the NFL.  So is Paul Posluszny.  So is Brian Urlacher.  Cushing (1st round), Laurinaitis (2nd round) and Matthews (1st round) all having big-time rookie seasons was huge, while the other linebackers drafted in the first two rounds in '09 -- Aaron Curry (1st round), Robert Ayers (1st round), Rey Maualuga (2nd round), and Clint Sintim (2nd round) -- all struggled.  Throw in other young stars like Stewart Bradley, Chad Greenway, and veterans like Aaron Kampman, Keith Brooking and Matt Roth along with young players who may become stars like Dan Connor and Scott McKillop among others, and linebacker is most definitely trending away from the artificial total black domination of the past 20 years.  It's not as good as tight end yet as far as quantity, but like TE it's moving in a brighter and Whiter direction. 
<div> </div>
<div> </div>

I have written several times about how sportswriters would complain about the lack of black QB's back in the mid-1960's. They were also calling for more black linebackers. The writers charged the NFL with keeping blacks from playing linebacker (especially middle linebacker) because they "lacked intelligence."

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
sport historian said:
Don Wassall said:
Ruud is at the very least among the top ten linebackers in the NFL. So is Paul Posluszny. So is Brian Urlacher. Cushing (1st round), Laurinaitis (2nd round)and Matthews (1st round)all having big-time rookie seasons was huge, while the other linebackers drafted in the first two rounds in '09 -- Aaron Curry (1st round), Robert Ayers (1st round), Rey Maualuga (2nd round), and Clint Sintim (2nd round) -- all struggled. Throw in other young stars like Stewart Bradley, Chad Greenway, and veterans like Aaron Kampman, Keith Brooking and Matt Roth along with young players who may become stars like Dan Connor and Scott McKillop among others, and linebacker is most definitely trending away from the artificial totalblack domination of the past 20 years. It's not as good as tight end yet as far as quantity, but like TE it's moving in a brighter and Whiter direction.

I am willing to bet a lot of these white linebackers played different positions in high school or even college. I know Urlacher played some safety in college, Tim Shaw played running back earlier in his career. I am not sure about any of the others though.
<div></div>

foreverfree

Mentor
sport historian said:
I have written several times about how sportswriters would complain about the lack of black QB's back in the mid-1960's. They were also calling for more black linebackers. The writers charged the NFL with keeping blacks from playing linebacker (especially middle linebacker) because they "lacked intelligence."

Were they writing *in* the mid-1960's about the lack of "colored" (as my mom would call Negroes back in those days) QBs and LBs?

John

backrow

Hall of Famer
Packers OLB Clay Matthews has been added to the NFC's Pro Bowl roster, replacing Lance Briggs.