2010 Postseason

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Doc Halladay has just pitched only the second no-hitter in the history of postseason baseball. His second no-hitter of the year, and his first ever postseason start. Cheers to the best pitcher in baseball, and of a generation.

Yankees and Twins start around 8:30. Looking forward to watching Jim Thome!

emt1

Guru
congrats to Doc Halladay, looks like he was the reds huckleberry
smiley32.gif

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
On the road, Cliff Lee dominates David Price and the Rays... and Josh Hamilton started!

And good to see Halladay smash Volquez as if he was a child. White pitchers' - as a collective - really didn't have the best regular season IMO - so
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
to Lee & Halladay for stealing the show so early in the postseason!

Some would say that Whites tend to be the best starting pitchers, and that this is even more true in the postseason, but, with the Caste media looking for any opportunity to denigrate our athletes, we have to continue to maintain our dominance - each and every year.

Riddlewire

Master
Deadlift said:
White pitchers' - as a collective - really didn't have the best regular season IMO

WTF!?
I'm guessing you're someone who only watches American League baseball.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I meant that some White pitchers could have done better (Zito & AJ Burnett for example).

In the AL, there were some great storylines like Trevor Cahill and Phil Hughes really "arriving" onto the scene. Verlander and Lester were very competent as usual. Jered Weaver was very good.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It seemed to be an abnormal year for starting pitchers in that more non-Whites than usual were among the leaders, not that White pitchers declined.

We'll see if David Price has staying power or if he's more the typical flash in the pan when it comes to black starters. I'll admit to being surprised that Crispy Creme Sabathia is still pitching well, but he's only 30. Top starting pitchers usually pitch well into their late 30s and sometimes early 40s.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Tampa is now down 2 games to Texas. They've absolutely flopped so far.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Halladay is unreal! I'm no baseball expert, but his performance in 2010 has to be one of the best (if not the best) in baseball history.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
I've also been pleased to see that Josh Hamilton has started both games in center field so far. He's such an unreal athlete that it blows my mind. For a guy as big and strong as him to be so fast and a natural center fielder is amazing.

Imagine if he had been in the majors since he was 22 or 23? we'd be talking about him as one of the greatest of all time already. I know he's only 29, but can you imagine five or more extra years of the kind of production he's capable of?

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
We'll see if David Price has staying power or if he's more the typical flash in the pan when it comes to black starters.
Just for the record, David Price's mother is white. He's another Derek Jeter. Of course, the media considers Price black because they are always searching for the next Satchel Paige or Bob Gibson, with little luck. Similar to how nobody credits Tiger Wood's Asian genes for his golfing success, nobody will credit Price's White genes.

PhillyBirds said:
Doc Halladay has just pitched only the second no-hitter in the history of postseason baseball. His second no-hitter of the year, and his first ever postseason start. Cheers to the best pitcher in baseball, and of a generation.

Yankees and Twins start around 8:30. Looking forward to watching Jim Thome!

Its funny because I hear pundits/commentators say that Halladay has helped his case to get into the Hall of Fame. Theymake as if there's a good POSSIBILITY it gets in, like hes not an automatic, first ballot Hall of Fame pitcher! Thats insane! He has been the best pitcher in baseball this decade and, I agree eith you PhillyBirds, the best pitcher of his generation--without question.

j41181

Master
3-run homer by Pat Burrell! The Giants are now up 4-0!
smiley20.gif

That was his 5th post season homer.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Toby Hillis said:
Its funny because I hear pundits/commentators say that Halladay has helped his case to get into the Hall of Fame.  They make as if there's a good POSSIBILITY it gets in, like hes not an automatic, first ballot Hall of Fame pitcher!  Thats insane! He has been the best pitcher in baseball this decade and, I agree eith you PhillyBirds, the best pitcher of his generation--without question

I believe that Doc could, after throwing this postseason no-hitter, retire tomorrow and have a decent shot at the Hall. As it stands, he has a whole lot more career left, and at the end of it should be a first-ballot guy. He's so unique in this era of treating pitchers with kid gloves; Doc completes games regularly, has a good repeatable delivery, and hasn't been injured in almost a decade. I think it's a treat getting to watch him regularly. Everyone should try to tune in and watch him sometime this postseason, if you haven't already.

Patrick

Guru
Doc was unbelievable - as a Red Sox fan a lot of people here laughed when he was going to the NL joking that he was a sure thing for Cy Young in 2010 even before the season started - and look at him now, perfect game, no hitter in his first post season game, clearly the Cy Young winner - best pitcher over the past 10 years without question and any team that had a chance at getting him and passed made a big mistake IMO - this guy has a lot of pitching left to do and especially if you have a younger pitching staff the work ethic he will instill in your guys would be worth the money alone.

On a side note - that makes Halladay, Lee and Lincecum as the pitchers in the post season that have made people say WOW! Not so much for super phenoms such as CC or Price - boo hoo.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Phil Hughes pitched a 4 hit gem!
smiley32.gif

In the Tampa game, Dan Johnson and John Jaso had absolutely clutch hits that helped Tampa stay alive in this series. I was glad to see overrated - Neftali Feliz - sucking for Texas.

Ladyfiaran

I agree, there was talk that Hughes might not make it in the postseason, but congratulation. And while it's awesome that my Yankees won, it seemed like Minnesota just rolled over and died after Teixeria hit the home run in the first game, I would have preferred they show a bit of life, makes it more interesting. Oh well, still waiting for the results of Tampa Bay/Texas.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Crispy Creme Sabathia was a flop for the Yankees last night and Josh Hamilton hit a 3-run HR off him.

Unfortunately, C.J. Wilson's excellent pitching performance was wasted as token black reliever Darren Oliver opened the floodgates to a big Yankee inning.

It's going to be hard for the Rangers to overcome this loss. Perhaps Ron Washington has some tricks up his sleeve.
smiley2.gif

Ladyfiaran

Van_Slyke_CF said:
Crispy Creme Sabathia was a flop for the Yankees last night and Josh Hamilton hit a 3-run HR off him.

Unfortunately, C.J. Wilson's excellent pitching performance was wasted as token black reliever Darren Oliver opened the floodgates to a big Yankee inning.

It's going to be hard for the Rangers to overcome this loss. Perhaps Ron Washington has some tricks up his sleeve.
smiley2.gif

I saw that game last night, CC didn't pitch well at all. While I'm glad the Yankees came back to win, hopefully Pettitte and Hughes do better, how old is Darren Oliver anyways, I remember him pitching when I was a kid
smiley36.gif

icsept

Master
Ron Washington will have to hit the crack pipe after that loss. The Rangers aren't necessarily done. If they can win game two, they have Lee pitching in Game 3, then you have a series.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Rangers are done after 1 game and 1 loss? Isn't this a 7 game series?

Charlie

Guru
Is this correct? Giants with 7 White starters, 1 Black Latin starter and 1 Mestizo Latin starter. Phils with 3 White starters, 2 Black starters and 4 Mestizo Latin starters.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Cliff Lee and Josh Hamilton STOLE the show... series getting real interesting!