2010 Atlanta Falcons

TwentyTwo

Master
Michael Jenkins is out 4-6 weeks with shoulder injury....and just look at the incredible numbers he has put up...Heis entering his seventh season. The 6-foot-4 receiver has appeared in 92 games with 235 receptions for 3,007 yards and 18 touchdowns; that's an average of 39 receptions per season & 3 TD's...and less than 3 catches per game?? Wow! That's being worthy of a starter as the #2 WR on your team?? While Matt Jones is on the edge of the Bengal WR roster as a 5 or 6????
smiley58.gif

Harry Douglas and rookie Kerry Meier are two leading candidates to fill in as the No. 2 receiver alongside Pro Bowl wideout Roddy White.

Go Kerry! Where does this leave Troy Bergeron & Brian Finneran??

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
At least one of them will make the team. I think it'll be Finneran this year, but Bergeron could always outplay him.

EDIT for Team Preview.

Caste Football Looks at the 2010 Atlanta Falcons</font>

The Falcons appear to be well on their way from the Michael Vick and Jim Mora years. Mike Smith took over the team in 2008, and with the help of QB Matt Ryan, their first round pick from Boston College, took the Falcons to the playoff in their first years. Ryan came down to Earth a bit last year, but appears poised to lead the Falcons back to the playoffs in his third year. Ryan is fairly cool under pressure, earning the nickname "Matty Ice." Capable veteran Chris Redman is the backup quarterback. Second year man John Parker Wilson out of Alabama is the third string quaterback.

Atlanta has one white reciever on their roster this year. Veteran Brian Finneran, who has been with the Falcons since the Dan Reeves days, looks to start the season as the No. 2 reciever with Michael Jenkins out. Falcon's DWFs were embarrased when the team was "reduced" to starting Finneran earlier in the decade. Rookie Kerry Meier would've made the team, but he is on IR with an injury. Oregon grad Justin Peele and undrafted Clemson Tiger Michael Palmer are the two white tight ends.

The Falcons are one of the few teams in the league that start four white offensive linemen. Left tackle Sam Baker is in his third year out of USC, being the other first rounder in addition to Matt Ryan, has done a good job of protecting his blindside. Veteran Todd McClure out of LSU is the Center, Harvey Dahl is the right guard, and former Deamon Deacon Tyson Clabo is the right tackle. Backup linemen are Will Svitek, rookie Mike Johnson out of Alabama, Rob Bruggeman, Joe Hawley, and Guy Reynolds.

The Dirty Birds were a near black out on defense last season, but they've whitened up a little from last year. End Kroy Biermann, who finally won a starting job in camp, is a very skilled and athletic player from Montana who can also kick. Veteran Coy Wire is a backup linebacker who could be starting. Athletic rookie Shann Schillinger out of Montana is a backup free safety. The Falcons have whitened drastically under Smith.

NUMBER OF WHITE STARTERS: 7 (Until Jenkins returns.)

NUMBER OF WHITE PLAYERS ON THE 53 MAN ROSTER: 21

GRADE: D+ Edited by: Jack Lambert

TwentyTwo

Master
Thanks for the imput JL! Scanning the 80 Man Training Camp Roster I found...

35 whites...43 black...2 hispanic....Certainly much better than the Bengals

5 WR's...Kerry Meier; Brian Finneran; Troy Bergeron, Ryan Wolfe, Andy Strickland
2 DB's...Matt Giordano &amp; Shann Schillinger
3 LB's...Coy Wire(could easily be starter IMO); Bear Woods; Weston Johnson
5 TE's...Justin Peele, Keith Zinger, Colin Peek, Michael Palmer, Robbie Angnone
Fullback- Dan Klecko

4 of 5 O-Line Starters are white

DE-Kroy Beirmann should be starting ahead of 1st round bust Jamaal Anderson

referendum

Mentor
The Falcons offensive line corp looks like the Patriots almost, with only one black, though he is a starter.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
No problem, TwentyTwo.
smiley1.gif
UDFA Bear Woods was a beast at Troy, and from the depth charts I see, he's the 2nd string MLB right now, so he'll stick. Wire is a lock to make the roster as well. The three QBs will be Ryan, Chris Redman, and John Parker Wilson. I think Shillinger will make it, and I'm hoping Giordono does too. Peele and Zinger should make it at TE, and 4 of the O-Line backups are white too. The Falcons could have 20 or more whites on their roster when it is all set and done.

I'd love to do a write-up for Atlanta this year when the time comes. They could be one of Caste Football's favorite teams this year.

Some great news here. Maybe Meier might actually start for the Falcons in Week 1.

From Rotoworld:

Contrary to previous speculation, Michael Jenkins will not need surgery to repair the shoulder injury sustained in Friday night's scrimmage.

Coach Mike Smith wouldn't provide details on the injury, stating only that it occurred when Jenkins landed awkwardly on the shoulder. Rest and rehabilitation will heal the injury, and the timetable remains at 4-6 weeks. The Falcons seem to prefer Harry Douglas in the slot, so surprising rookie Kerry Meier should start seeing some first-team reps opposite Roddy White.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Giordano is second on the depth chart so he should stick. Unfortunately Kroy Biermann is buried on the depth chart.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
WA33, Biermann is second on the depth chart as well behind bust Jamal Anderson. If Anderson faulters (again) Biermann may be starting by time the season is over.

Hopefully, Meier's racial apprenticeship will be short lived.

The Falcons "quietly are excited" by what they've seen from fifth-round WR Kerry Meier in training camp.

Meier has lined up at all three spots, and one team official says he's yet to drop a pass. Meier has interesting size and projects as a fine possession receiver. He, Harry Douglas, and Eric Weems will see an increase in practice reps with Michael Jenkins (shoulder) out 4-6 weeks.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jenkins is one of the worst starting receivers in the league. He was drafted in the first round so he's another black bust on the 10 Year Development Plan. Meier, like Riley Cooper, has been getting all positive reviews, so it's possible he could end up playing a lot.

Ryan Wolfe has also been getting good press. If they don't keep Finneran he could stick as one of the backups or maybe end up on the practice squad.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
It's amazing how all of these white receivers are "surprising" everyone. They are no mystery to the posters here at CF. Meier's success is no surprise, he's big, strong, fast, disciplined and smart.

I would love to see a team with an average Joe QB line up with all white receivers and have them tear up the affroletic league. If Brady or Manning are successful throwing to white guys, it's because "anybody" can be great with those QB's.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Jack Lambert said:
WA33, Biermann is second on the depth chart as well behind bust Jamal Anderson. If Anderson faulters (again) Biermann may be starting by time the season is over.

Hopefully, Meier's racial apprenticeship will be short lived.

The Falcons "quietly are excited" by what they've seen from fifth-round WR Kerry Meier in training camp.

Meier has lined up at all three spots, and one team official says he's yet to drop a pass. Meier has interesting size and projects as a fine possession receiver. He, Harry Douglas, and Eric Weems will see an increase in practice reps with Michael Jenkins (shoulder) out 4-6 weeks.

Well the depth chart I looked at had him on the bottom.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I guess it depends on where you get the depth chart. According to the Falcons website, they have released NO depth charts from camp yet. So any charts that you see are from egghead journalist types who are supposedly following the team and are based solely on conjecture. I prefer to look at the practice field and see who is working with the first and second teams, more can be gleaned from that than from a thousand "Rotoworld"-type rosters put together by white-loathing DWF's.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
FootballDad said:
I guess it depends on where you get the depth chart.  According to the Falcons website, they have released NO depth charts from camp yet.  So any charts that you see are from egghead journalist types who are supposedly following the team and are based solely on conjecture.  I prefer to look at the practice field and see who is working with the first and second teams, more can be gleaned from that than from a thousand "Rotoworld"-type rosters put together by white-loathing DWF's.

Yeah, I read the depth charts from CBSSports and ESPN, since they keep them pretty much updated. But official depth charts are the best.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Many times depth charts from team sites and NFL.com aren't updated during the long offseason. CBS, ESPN and Yahoo are generally the best, because those sites heavily promote fantasy football leagues thus have the incentive for their depth chartsto be current and relatively accurate.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Nice to see that Brian Finneran could be back starting for the Falcons, although I'd like to see what Kerry Meier has to offer them.

From Rotoworld:

Brian Finneran stepped in as the first-team wideout across from Roddy White in Tuesday's practice.

All hail the NFL's latest "Rasputin." The 34-year-old Finneran has gone from the roster bubble to possible opening-day starter, thanks to Michael Jenkins' shoulder injury. Rookie Kerry Meier is also getting some first-team snaps with Harry Douglas (knee) sitting out Tuesday's practice.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Here is a link to the depth chart I was looking at. http://www.kffl.com/nfldc.php/7/nfl

I don't think it's very accurate. According to this chart the Falcons will only have 4 whites starting. Now with the injury to Jenkins it would be 5 with most likely Finneran being a starter and Meier in the slot. Also Biermann and Wire could possibly start. I'm praying either Giordano or Schillinger beat Decoud out for the starting free safety job. Three whites starting on the o-line with a small chance for four.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Blalock is the only black starter on their line. Right now, I see anywhere from 22-25 whites making the team, so the Falcons could be one of the whitest teams in the league. They'll probably be the only team in the league with 2 white WRs and two white safeties.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jack Lambert said:
Yeah, Blalock is the only black starter on their line. Right now, I see anywhere from 22-25 whites making the team, so the Falcons could be one of the whitest teams in the league. They'll probably be the only team in the league with 2 white WRs and two white safeties.

Pretty cool for a Deep South team if it happens that way. Maybe SEC recruiters will take note; yeah, right.

At any rate the Falcons, Dolphins and Texans are threeteams who have gone from coal black to relatively White friendly in just a few seasons, with a noticeably improved product on the fieldinall threecases. Edited by: Don Wassall

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Jenkins sux royally & should be relegated to the practice squad. I hope Meier & Finneran (one of my favorite NFL WRs) get lots of reps/passes. As a former Falcons season ticket hold (quasi-DWF
smiley2.gif
), I still for players like Ryan, Finneran, Biermann, etc. BTW, Kroy should be starting over the overrated afrolete "Jaballs Anderslap".

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Jenkins is one of the worst starting receivers in the league.  He was drafted in the first round so he's another black bust on the 10 Year Development Plan.  Meier, like Riley Cooper, has been getting all positive reviews, so it's possible he could end up playing a lot. 
<div> </div>
<div>Ryan Wolfe has also been getting good press.  If they don't keep Finneran he could stick as one of the backups or maybe end up on the practice squad.  </div>

To my knowledge, Michael Jenkins (a top ten pick from Ohio State) has never had a single 100 yard receiving game in his entire career. Meier and/or Finneran should have no trouble supplanting this nobody.

As others have mentioned, the Falcons could be a great team to support from the NFC for 2010.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Its good to know the Fackluns are getting Whiter! Maybe my crappy Comcast cable won't be totally useless after all.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Deadlift said:
Jenkins' was the 29th pick in '04.

Thanks for the info, I stand corrected.

I looked through Jenkins' stats through 6 seasons"¦and the highest receiving total he's ever amassed in a single game is 80 yards. Don hit the nail on the head"¦this is one of the worst starting WRs in the NFL (and, as we all know, that's really saying something).

I could only imagine how the media rats would treat a white WR (drafted in the 1st round) who'd never had a single 100 yard game.Edited by: Thrashen

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Thrashen said:
Deadlift said:
Jenkins' was the 29th pick in '04.

Thanks for the info, I stand corrected.

I looked through Jenkins' stats through 6 seasons"¦and the highest receiving total he's ever amassed in a single game is 80 yards. Don hit the nail on the head"¦this is one of the worst starting WRs in the NFL (and, as we all know, that's really saying something).

I could only imagine how the media rats would treat a white WR (drafted in the 1st round) who'd never had a single 100 yard game.

Thrashen, there are worse. Darius Heyward-Bey caught a whopping 9 balls in 11 starts. Of course he had Russell throwing him the ball. Expect him to catch 10-15 balls this season with Jason Campbell running the show.
smiley2.gif

Edited by: whiteathlete33

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Damn.....
smiley18.gif

Falcons placed rookie WR Kerry Meier (knee) on injured reserve, ending his season.

Meier went down in Atlanta's second preseason game. The onetime Kansas quarterback was having a big camp as a slot receiver, so the Falcons wouldn't have ended his year if his injury was insignificant. Meier likely tore ligaments in the knee. The team will move forward with Brian Finneran as the favorite to start at split end until Michael Jenkins (shoulder) returns.