2009 San Diego Chargers

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Here is a list of all the white athletes that have made the 2009 San Diego Chargers

QB
Philip Rivers
Billy Volek
Charlie Whitehurst

RB/FB
Jacob Hester

WR
None

TE
None

G
Kris Dielman
Brandon Dombrowski

C
Scott Mruczkowski
Nick Hardwick

OT
Jeromey Clary

DL
None

LB
None

DB
Eric Weddle
Steve Gregory

P
Mike Scifres

K
Nate Kaeding

LS
David Binn

Tom Iron

Mentor
Leonardfan,

Thanks much for your post. I thought Weddle was a lb?

I don't know who Merriman's agent is and I don't think much of agents. They must be a bunch of real sharks. But in the case of Shawn Merriman's agent, we should have a little sympathy. The guy must be wondering just what it was he did wrong to be hooked up with such a loser as Merriman. This is great stuff. Great timing too, a week before opening day. I think all this is as funny as a barrel full of monkeys.

Tom Iron...

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Weddle is a safety, you might be thinking of Matt Wilhelm who was cut earlier this offseason. He was there MLB and a pretty good one at that.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The teams that get a noticeable influx of white players on defense seem to quickly revert back to the NFL norm. The Titans a few years ago, and now the Chargers and Bills, though the Bills' d-line is still white dominated. The Packers currently have an influx of white LBs, but are barren of whiteson the d-line and backfield. The Texans and Ravens are trending in a more white direction, but we'll have to see how it lasts.Edited by: Don Wassall

Kaptain

Master
LT is out this week. It's discouraging to see that there is absolutely no talk of Jacob Hester getting any carries. It appears that in just his second year he has been relegated to the caste standard. And that is only less than two years removed from being the leading rusher and MVP of the national championship team.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I looked up the sports section of the paper I used to read while living in Jersey and they say the carries will go to Sproles and then Michael Bennett second. Michael Bennett? The guy is on the downside of his career and was never good anyway. The Chargers picked him up as "a street FA" late last season. Could it be any more obvious the disdain for white tailbacks in this National Farce League?

I watched the MNF game against Oakland last week and I have to say I was very underwhelmed by Steve Gregory's performance. He flat out sucked, he gave up multiple completions and even let Russell throw a touchdown pass that was called back because of a rule technicality. Hopefully he gets better as the season goes on.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Manifest Destiny said:
I watched the MNF game against Oakland last week and I have to say I was very underwhelmed by Steve Gregory's performance. He flat out sucked, he gave up multiple completions and even let Russell throw a touchdown pass that was called back because of a rule technicality. Hopefully he gets better as the season goes on.

Yeah that describes every DB on the Detroit Lions. Maybe they should clean house and change their whole roster after one game?

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Manifest Destiny said:

he's a cornerback playing safety. he's never played safety before until being forced to make the move at San Diego. it's going to take him some time to make the adjustments to playing from a deeper spot in the secondary, as the angles are very different, as are his reads.

he's more than talented enough to play safety, though he's not built for the position.(he's a cornerback!)rather, the question iswhether he will be given the time to learn the position before being condemned and caste aside.

jaxvid said:
Manifest Destiny said:

Yeah that describes every DB on the Detroit Lions. Maybe they should clean house and change their whole roster after one game?
What the hell does that have to do with anything? I never said anything about getting rid of him.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Manifest Destiny said:
jaxvid said:
Manifest Destiny said:

What the hell does that have to do with anything? I never said anything about getting rid of him.

Then what's your point? You said he gave up multiple completions. WTF? QB's complete 20-30 passes on average a game so I guess every CB gives up "multiple completions" how does this make him suck?

Taco

Guru
defensive backs have very tough jobs. Theyre only going to break up a small percentage of passes. They have to hope that theyre coverage is good enough to make the QB miss his WR or for the WR to drop the ball. DB's have to react and that always leaves them at a disadvantage.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
This is likely Tomlinson's last year in San Diego.

(Rotoworld) According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, LaDainian Tomlinson is "likely" playing his last season for the Chargers.

Analysis:
Tomlinson can no longer create on his own, lacks burst to the outside,
and isn't a passing-game asset. The Chargers almost certainly won't
exercise his $2M roster bonus next March, despite his "hero" status in
San Diego. They're a good bet to use a first-day pick on a running back
in the 2010 NFL Draft.
(Article Link)

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
They have a good runningback on their roster already in Jacob Hester.  Instead of allowing him to start, or at least split carries with Sproles, they will draft another runningback.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Maybe they'll get Toby Gerhart and would have to play him.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Yes that is also a possibility.  Wherever Toby ends up I hope he becomes a starter immediately.  Hopefully he doesn't end up on a team like Atlanta were he will be forced to sit on the bench behind afflete Michael Turner.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Merriman is a dope. He just knocked up some woman and the first thing she did was bring him into court to make sure she gets money. It's hard to believe what jerks these guys are.

Tom Iron...

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
With the Chargers' getting darker-and-darker, does anyone else think (like I do) that Philip Rivers will have to be "even better" to take them to the playoffs?

If they start the season slow this year, I'm thinking that they won't be able to overcome it like they have in previous years.
________

When the Chargers' drafted nose tackle Cam Newton, the talking-heads said he started out the season well, but then he ran into Boston College, and they showed video of BCs White-dominated OL absolutely crushing him and making him fall-down....