2009 NFL Draft Prospects

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Hey everyone,

I am just going to compile a list of our players by position. I will try to add some commentary as well. Just want everyone to be aware of players to look out for leading up to the draft. Let me know what you think. This is just an indicator of who I think is going to be drafted and not indicative of the many talent white athletes who get snubbed.

QB
Its a weak year for QB and the media's wet dream. Mark Dirty Sanchez a one year wonder with just decent arm strength who I believe is overrated seems to be challenging Stafford. Josh Freeman is the overrated black hope of this years QB class, much like Russell was 2 years ago. We will see which team makes a mistake with him. Nate Davis is overrated, does not have a great arm, is undersized and the product of hype.

1. Matthew Stafford - Like his arm alot, he isnt polished but by far the best QB in the draft.
2. Rhett Bomar - Second best QB in the draft, reminds me a little of favre.
3. Curtis Painter - Strong post season showing on the workout ciruit.
4. Brian Hoyer
5. Steven McGee - underrated, athletic, good arm, played in an option style offense.
6. Cullen Harper
7. Jason Boltus - by all accounts has a huge arm, lets for a flacco like rise during the predraft workouts.
8. Drew Wily - is a gamer, i just like him
9. Hunter Cantwell
10. Rudy Carpenter

RB/FB (I am just going to combine this one for obvious reasons)

1. Tyler Roehl - I like him alot, a strong runner who can move the chains but also break off big runs.
2. Eric Kettani - military obligations?
3. Brannon Southerland - nice throwback, strong powerful and bruising
4. Brock Bolen - great runner, he can be effective runner
5. Nate Kmic
6. Stanley Zwingi
7. Bill Rentmeester

WR
1. Austin Collie - 1st round talent, great hands, big play potential
2. Brian Hartline - big game threat, very fast, nice ypc
3. Nate Swift
4. Eric Peterman
5. Andy Brodell
6. Tyler Grisham
7. Dicky Lyons Jr (If healthy)- amazing hands
8. Todd Peterson

TE
1. Chase Coffman
2. James Casey
3. Bear Pascoe
4. John Phillips
5. Ryan Purvis
6. Dan Grownkoski

OT
1.Eben Britton
2.Troy Kropog
3.Garret Reynolds
4.Andy Levitre
5.Lydon Murtha
6.Kyle Link
7.Joel Bell
8.Rylan Reed
9.Ryan Mckee
10.Alex Boone (character concerns)
11.Andrew Gardner

OG
1.Kraig Urbik
2.Seth Olsen
3.Trevor Canfield
4.Greg Isander
5.Ryan Stanchek
6.Andy Kemp
7.Travis Bright
8. Rich Orhnberger
9.Dallas Reynolds

OC
1.Alex Mack
2.Max Unger (Can play any OL position)
3.Eric Wood
4.Johnathan Luigs
5.AQ Shipley

DE
1.Paul Kruger
2.Connor Barwin
3.Zach Potter
4.Stryker Sulak
5.Nick Reed
6.Ian Campbell
7.Will VanDesteeg
8.Jeremy Navarre
9.Jeffrey Schweiger

DT
1.Mitch King - favorite player in this draft
2.John Gill
3.Pat Kuntz
4.Will Johnson

LB
1.Brian Cushing
2.Clay Matthews
3.James Laurenitis
4.Zach Follet
5.Scott Mckillop
6.Jason Phillips
7.Daniel Holtzclaw
8.Brock Christopher
9.Joe Mortensen
10.Britt Miller
11.Slade Norris

DB
1.Anthony Scirotto
2.Colt Anderson
3.Pete Ittersagen

Gi-15

Mentor
You can add Kyle Bell to the FB/RB section, even though he had a very disapointing year, he's still draft eligible, has a shot at making a training camp, and, who knows, maybe he rededicate himself completely and make a roster or a PS.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Gi-15 wrote:

"You can add Kyle Bell to the FB/RB section, even though he had a very disapointing year...."

I might be wrong, but the little I saw of Kyle Bell in their bowl game led me to believe that his quickness and cutting ability was stll improving after a long-haul recovery from the knee problems. Let's hope so.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Just read an article about Brian Cushing here in the local north jersey paper. It seems Cushing is running a 4.48 40. He is getting lots of praise for his athleticism.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Everytime i post on msg board about how athletic Cushing is there are always a few posters that scream STEROID USER. The same people want to draft Rey M. If Cushing juiced why wouldn't Rey M be a juicer too? Teammates at the same program. As if the one White guy on the team is the only one able to get around steroid testing in NCAA and none of the black/minority players are able to. I dont think he juiced, there are several posts by family members talking about how they tested him often themselves and he was tested more rigorously than others by the team and the NCAA because of his freakish athletic times for his size in speed/agility drills. I think he was just a late bloomer and freakishly athletic. Even if he juiced i dont think it matters, Sean Merriman juiced and nobody ever talks about it.

Either way, i am getting really sick of it because i would love to have Cushing on the Saints. Either him Laurenitis, or Clay Matthews. I hope they dont resign Vilma and go back to a snow patrol. Fans talk about Vilma like he is some great hall of fame linebacker and then say Shanle and Fujita suck. Shanle improved this year and I know Fujita is way more athletic than Vilma. Vilma is a solid MLB at best and didnt do anything that special this year on the squadEdited by: dwid

Gi-15

Mentor
People are always reffering to a photo were cushing is coming off shoulder after his Fr. or Soph year and compare with one where he is flexing after his junior year, people are dumb and jealous. He is much nearer of the camera on the junior photo and wear a sleeveless shirt, he wears a wet underarmour-style on the first. Talk about some way to make a comparaison...

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
What can you guys tell me about Todd Peterson of Nebraska? I saw Nebraska twice last year, but focused mostly on Swift who is ranked significantly higher as an NFL prospect by all the Scouts. I also watched a highlight video of Nate Swift, but never of Peterson. Is Todd a legit NFL prospect or a fringe guy at best?

dwid

Hall of Famer
When i was doing the Swift video he caught my eye, he looked good from what i saw but i was mainly fast fowarding through the vids to just the Swift plays though. He is one of the players that i want to make a video of when i get time. I think he could make it in the NFL but id have to look at more of him to give you a confident answer. Im sure someone on here knows more about him.

found this on swift and peterson
"So, again I ask: why is everyone forgetting about Nate Swift? Yes, we supposedly have a lot of talent coming up at the WR spot. But let's not downplay the role of proven contributors like Swift and Todd Peterson These guys know the offense, they're skilled route runners, and they've proven their mettle in Big 12 play. The guys the media is currently spoon feeding us this spring? Not so much."
it also says this which is false though
"Yes, Maurice Purify had more big plays and deserved the attention he received, but Swift also did some damage."
Purify had 5 games in 2007 with a catch of more than 20 yards, Swift had 8.In 2008 Swift had 10 games with a catch more than 20 yards. So Swift had more big plays both years. Especially this year. I wish he would have eclipsed the 1,000 yard mark though, he came so close.Edited by: dwid

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Look out for Andrew Means form IU. Childhood friend of A. Gonzo. Says he models his game after him. here's an article

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=66264&comview= 1

6'0 215 runs a 4.4

A few days ago, right after we posted a story about Indiana wide receiver Andrew Means, a long time source of ours contacted us and told us Means ran extremely well in pre-combine workouts. Per the source, Means was running in the low 4.4's at 6' and 215 pounds at Ignition A.P.G. in Cincinnati, Ohio.

The source also told us there was no way he was staying in school for his senior year, as it was his intention all along to leave early because of his decision to <A id=AdBriteInlineAd_play style="BACKGROUND: url(http://s.adbrite.com/mb/images/green-double-underline-006600.gif) repeat-x 50% bottom; MARGIN-BOTTOM: -2px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; CURSOR: pointer; COLOR: #006600; TEXT-DECORATION: none" target=_top keyword="play" display="inline">play</A> baseball after being drafted by the Cincinnati Reds last year. But before committing to baseball full time, Means figured he would go through the preparation and see if he could get a shot with an N.F.L. team. It was a great surprise to him when he got the combine invite. Actually, he was ecstatic, because he's a football guy first. If Andrew is selected by a team this April he is undoubtedly going to play pro football.

*** Edited by: celticdb15

Gi-15

Mentor
wow, looks like Michael Crabtree is slow AND small

from rotoworld.com

Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree measured only 6'1 1/4 and 215 pounds at Friday's NFL Scouting Combine weigh-in.
He's two inches shorter than expected (and two inches shorter than Larry Fitzgerald). Crabtree was listed at 6'3/214 as a Red Raider. The third-year sophomore plays big, but red flags are mounting. He's not running at the Combine due to a mid-October ankle injury, and says he won't be healthy for another three weeks. Crabtree needs a big Pro Day to rebound.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
If Mel Kiper's updated "top 5 by position" is any indication, this is going to be the blackest draft yet. At QB 3 of the 5 are black (with Sanchez counting here as white), Brock Bolen at fifth is the only white FB, James Casey is the only white TE, Eben Britton is the only white tackle, and Andy Levitre and Kraig Urbik are the only white guards. Four of the five centers are White. WR and RB are of course all black.

On defense, end and tackle are coal black, as are safety and CB. Only at ILB and OLB, where 2 of the 5 are white, is the Black Sea briefly interrupted.

The first day of the Draft (and maybe the second day too) is going to be an extension of Obamnation, Black History Month, Tiger is back,and the rest of the top-down instituted black worshipingmania gripping the country. Edited by: Don Wassall

SoberWF

So, how come on nfl.com/combine/top-performers for the 40 yard dash at the WR position is Kenny McKinley listed as a top 10 performer with a 4.44 time, and Andrew Means is not listed who reportedly ran the same time?

RBNY123

this is so rediculous it is almost laughable, maybe i should start my own football league and put all of you guys in charge of it since 1. you know a lot more about football and the statistics than i do, and 2. you would make it a fair league. I think i'm going to seriously consider this.
smiley4.gif

j41181

Master
I'm not an optimist in this area unlike most of you, but the only position whites get any respect is at the quarterback position. All the other positions are pretty much black exclusive.

It's hard to imagine that several of those who can handle the RB, WR, CB, and DB positions are rated so low. But this is one impressive list nonetheless.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Need to add andrew means to my list...i think he has a good shot to get drafted in the 5th-7th range.

StarWars

Mentor
Peter Ittersagen. Cornerback/ punt returner
Wheaton College
Here are some vids:

Pro Day

Another pro day

Highlights

Nfldraftscout.com has him at 63 out of 229 CBs. He has ran a 4.38 40 yard dash. Might go late in the draft if we are lucky.Edited by: StarWars

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
UGA TE Tripp Chandler should go in the later rounds. He has good size, speed & solid hands.

SteveB

Mentor
StarWars said:
Peter Ittersagen. Cornerback/ punt returner
Wheaton College
Here are some vids:

Pro Day

Another pro day

Highlights

Nfldraftscout.com has him at 63 out of 229 CBs. He has ran a 4.38 40 yard dash. Might go late in the draft if we are lucky.

Wow!! Great acceleration out of his backpedal and tremendous break on the ball. Very impressive.