2008 NFL Combine

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
according to this article, wide receiver Todd Blythe ran the 40 officially in 4.54 and 4.58 seconds (and claims he has run in the mid-4.4's in training). ALL are significantly faster than the 4.6 that is widely reported for him.

it also says the 6-foot-5-inch Blythe posted a top-10 20-yard shuttle time, which is impressive considering his long and lanky physique.
smiley32.gif

Stonewall

Guru
I feel good about the draft prospects and NFL futures for Tom Z, Steltz, and Caleb Campbell. I saw one site that had all 3 men going in the 3rd round.

We really do need to replenish our white safeties in the NFL. Not that we've had a plethora of white men starting in recent years, but John Lynch is getting older and Adam Archuleta seems to have unfortunately fallen off the map.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Considering how many star white high school running backs and wide receivers are moved to safety in college, the lack of them in the NFL is particularly galling.

I think its more amazing that guys like Darren Sharper get an annual pass to the pro bowl, despite less then stellar play and guys like Adam Archuletta have to earn a spot on the active roster year after year.

dwid

Hall of Famer
i was wondering, how many people actually SAW jacob hester run the 40 yard dash? i have a version i dled of the combine and it goes to commercial right before he is set to run, and it comes back to the combine and it had skipped showing him, i wanted to time him myself at home to see how it measured up heh

nevermind just saw the second run and they showed it, his slower time of course, but they did seem to skip peyton hillis both timesEdited by: dwid

Gi-15

Mentor
On the NFL.com streams, there was 5 camera on the field looking at different drills and angles, and one stream that was showing NFL Network stuff. Only the NFLN stream showed commercials.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Trevor Scott, Buffalo Bulls DE is another guy to keep an eye on after great pro day:

Size: 6' 5", 256 pounds

40 Yard Dash: 4.54

Vertical Leap: 33.5"

Bench Press: 32

3 cone: 6.84

Shuttle: 4.19

60 yd Shuttle: 11.28

Broad Jump: 9.9

he's taller and yet FASTER than "superman" Gholston... how about that... Scott has a good chance of making it to the NFLEdited by: backrow

backrow

Hall of Famer
from draftdaddy (who else)

Augustana College wide receiver Tom Ellingworth catches the eye of N.F.L. scouts after running a 4.37 at Pro Day.

full article

Ellingworth sprints onto NFL scene
By Scott Thoma, West Central Tribune
Published Monday, March 10, 2008

When Minnesota Vikings speedster Adrian Peterson was timed at the NFL Combine by pro scouts last year, the stopwatch was stopped at 4.37 seconds for the 40-yard dash. That time was matched during a Pro Day recently in South Dakota by a small white receiver from Redwood Falls.

Tom Ellingworth, who had 211 catches for 2,398 yards in his career at Augustana College in Sioux Falls, immediately has his stock rise with his impressive sprint. Just 5-foot-10 and 186 pounds, Ellingworth feels his speed and quickness, as well as his ability to return punts and kickoffs, will help overcome his lack of size if he does get a chance to showcase his talents for an NFL team.

"I'm not so sure I'll get drafted," said Ellingworth, by telephone Saturday afternoon. "But I think I've created enough interest that I'll get invited to someone's rookie camp. At least that's what I'm hoping."

Ellingworth, also a sprinter and hurdler on the Augustana track team, was tested during a regional Pro Day in Sioux Falls on Feb. 29, along with several other Division II players with aspirations of some day playing in the NFL. A regional representative compiles all the players' data and sends the information to all 32 NFL teams. There are several Pro Days across the country for Division I or Division II prospects that weren't invited to the elite NFL Combine. Scouts from four NFL teams â€â€￾ Green Bay, Atlanta, Indianapolis and Washington â€â€￾ were also in attendance at the South Dakota Pro Day.

Tests include dashes of 10, 20 and 40 yards, three-cone drills, broad jump, vertical jump and 225-pound bench reps.

The Indianapolis Colts scout showed enough interest in Ellingworth that he requested he undergo additional skill testing upon completion of the Pro Day events.

"I stayed another half an hour or so," said Ellingworth. "My agent said that was uncommon for a player to be asked to do that. So I have that in my favor. I had to do some ball drills and ran about 30 routes."

Ellingworth was second in the nation among Division II players in receptions and receiving yards after five games this season before a stress fracture in his back hampered him the remainder of the season. Still, he finished with 65 catches for 750 yards and four touchdowns. That included a 13-catch, 190-yard performance in one game. He was named to the all-North Central Conference second team for the third straight year.

"When I was second in catches in yards, (pro) teams were asking my coach things about me," said Ellingworth. "But after I got hurt and was getting only two or three catches a game, no one was give me any attention anymore. They didn't realize I was playing hurt and I really only felt about 60 percent."

Ellingworth feels healthy again and he once again is generating interest. He redshirted his freshman season and he feels that is paying dividends now.

"I'm basically done with school," he said. "I have a double major in business and sports management. I only have one class a day now so I spend four or five hours a day working out."

Ellingworth is also eating healthy and has only three percent body fat.

"When I was young, I thought playing in the NFL would be a dream-come-true," he said. "I thought that really would be fun to do for a job. As I started getting older, I thought it was pretty far-fetched. But now I have a different mindset. I think I have a good chance to at least get a tryout from someone."

Just because you're small doesn't mean you can't have big dreams.

Ellingworth-5-6-web.jpg

my comment: yet again, Colts are interested

Edited by: backrow

jared

Mentor
Stonewall said:
Nice find, backrow. Augustana College is the same school that Kevin Kaesviharn came out of in 2001.
Ah, I knew I'd heard of that school before somewhere. Well, here's hoping that Ellingworth gets a shot.Edited by: jared

Riddlewire

Master
Ellingworth is also eating healthy and has only three percent body fat.

While I don't doubt his speed measurements, this particular number is unquestionably a 'cheat' by an overzealous coach. If his body fat percentage were truly that low, he'd actually be quite unhealthy and incapable of sustained athletic activity. Elite bodybuilders have to take extreme measures to drop their bodyfat into the 3-5% range, and that's only for the short amount of time that a show takes.
Ultimately I guess it really doesn't matter what number he reports. NFL scouts are stupid and gullible. And only one number truly matters to them.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Your right there he would be in organ shut down mode. I recall Andreas Munzer dieing off stage because his kidneys shut down.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Don, both of those guys would make great NFL receivers. I've been watching them for a while and they are both phenomenal athletes.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I guess Danny Amendola is stuck in a rut. Looks like he won't get drafted at all. There are just too many "star" black athletes in front of him. He would make a good third receiver on just about any NFL team.

backrow

Hall of Famer
from cbs sportsline article:

risers:

Ben Moffitt ILB South Florida Moffitt was characterized as an instinctive over-achiever throughout his career, but after blazing a couple of 4.5 40s at his Pro Day, scouts are returning to the film. Moffitt was limited at the Combine with a hamstring strain in his right leg, and took advantage of the large number of scouts that came to the South Florida Pro Day to view defensive backs Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams. In addition to the impressive 40 times, Moffitt also significantly improved his vertical (37.5") and broad jump (10'4") from the Combine (32.5", 9'9" respectively).

smiley32.gif

<H3 _extended="true">Western Washington (March 5)</H3>
This was actually Eastern Washington's Pro Day, but the prospect to watch was from a visiting school. LB Shane Simmons is a very good small-college player who hails from the same league that produced Giants TE Kevin Boss last year. Like Boss, this player will be drafted by someone...
» LB <STRONG _extended="true">Shane Simmons[/b] (6-1 ¼, 239): Ran the 40 in 4.63 and 4.65, had a 34-inch vertical jump, 9-foot, 10-inch long jump, 4.55 short shuttle, and 7.54 cone drill. He did not do the bench press due to a wrist injury.
(Looked him up, he's a Bald Headed White dude)

backrow

Hall of Famer
btw, i was reading an article about Brad Cottam and his pro day at UT and look what i found at the botton of it:

"Justin Gatlin, the reigning 100-meter Olympic gold medalist, also worked out Wednesday. Gatlin, who received an eight-year ban for doping violations â€â€￾ later reduced to four years, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds and had a 40 1/2-inch vertical jump."

Olympic Gold medal and all he runs is 4.42? wth!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
btw, i was reading an article about Brad Cottam and his pro day at UT and look what i found at the botton of it:

"Justin Gatlin, the reigning 100-meter Olympic gold medalist, also worked out Wednesday. Gatlin, who received an eight-year ban for doping violations â€â€￾ later reduced to four years, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds and had a 40 1/2-inch vertical jump."

Olympic Gold medal and all he runs is 4.42? wth!

He doesn't have his "steroid" boost anymore.
smiley36.gif

Mike

Guru
It's a different kind of run. Most world class 100 meter guys would not crack 4.4. I read an article on it some time ago, I'll try to dig it up if it's still around.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Yeah, they conserve a bit then have a burst of speed at the end for best times, and anyway 4.42 is pretty darn good anyway. Talk about your straight line speed but I bet he can't catch a thing, which makes him a perfect fit for an NFL receiver.