Will Shipley

Rocky B

Master
If this guy goes undrafted eventually then you can be sure there is no hope for the nfl
He will get drafted, for sure. Day two, at worse.
Next year or the year after.....
I’d like him to stay at Clemson all four years.....

Phil

Guru
Will Shipley went off today vs North Carolina!

18 carries for 126 yards(7 yd average)
2 rec. for 53 yards

Shipley was Clemson's leading rusher and 2nd leading reciever in this game vs North Carolina.

Phall

Master
Will Shipley went off today vs North Carolina!

18 carries for 126 yards(7 yd average)
2 rec. for 53 yards

Shipley was Clemson's leading rusher and 2nd leading reciever in this game vs North Carolina.
Great final stat line for him in the win. I wish they'd used him even more during the game, though!

NikoDuke

Mentor
He will get drafted, for sure. Day two, at worse.
Next year or the year after.....
I’d like him to stay at Clemson all four years.....
I'm not as optimistic as you are that he is getting picked on Day 1/2.. if draft was merit based Id agree but, I'm hearing the talking heads question his top speed and ability to break open.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I’d like him to stay at Clemson all four years
Not likely. Shipley will graduate in 3 years as he ran down the hill yesterday with the seniors. He will either enter the portal or depending on how high he's projected in the draft, will declare for the NFL.
Depending on his combine results will determine where he gets drafted. I'm not as optimistic as I once was. I believe he needs a sub 4.5 forty to go in the first 5 rounds. If not, he'll likely fall to the 6th or 7th round or possibly go UDFA.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Not likely. Shipley will graduate in 3 years as he ran down the hill yesterday with the seniors. He will either enter the portal or depending on how high he's projected in the draft, will declare for the NFL.
Depending on his combine results will determine where he gets drafted. I'm not as optimistic as I once was. I believe he needs a sub 4.5 forty to go in the first 5 rounds. If not, he'll likely fall to the 6th or 7th round or possibly go UDFA.

I feel because of the minor injuries and the racial bias against white running backs that he will fall into the lower rounds. My prediction is
either the 5th or 6th round. If he falls to the late 7th round he might be better off to become a usfda. I just really hope he doesn't get
the Max Borghi treatment.

jphoss

Mentor
Looked up his recruiting profile and he was a state champ in the 55 meter dash so i bet he can run a mid 4.4, especially with nothing but that to focus on for a few months

Phall

Master
I believe that the best thing Shipley has going for him in terms of draft future (which dictates NFL future to an extent) is his lofty 4.5-star ranking out of high school by the scouting service powers that be. It's one thing for an NFL GM to take a chance on "overachievers" like say, Hunter Renfrow or perhaps Ladd McConkey, who have outperformed their expectations. It's an easier pill to swallow when the bar is already set high. A player like Ed Oliver (DT from Houston) comes to mind, a 5-star "can't miss" prospect who has never been a star, but has been afforded many NFL chances and much playing time by virtue of the consensus that he's just supposed to be good.

If I were the parent of a prospect, I'd find a scout at 24/7, ESPN, Rivals, or On3 and bribe them. They are all faceless and likely make a very modest wage. If I were a scout for any of those companies, I'd absolutely be open for any and all bribes. Money, sex, a home-cooked meal while I'm on the road... just gotta be worth that extra star bump.

jphoss

Mentor
I believe that the best thing Shipley has going for him in terms of draft future (which dictates NFL future to an extent) is his lofty 4.5-star ranking out of high school by the scouting service powers that be. It's one thing for an NFL GM to take a chance on "overachievers" like say, Hunter Renfrow or perhaps Ladd McConkey, who have outperformed their expectations. It's an easier pill to swallow when the bar is already set high. A player like Ed Oliver (DT from Houston) comes to mind, a 5-star "can't miss" prospect who has never been a star, but has been afforded many NFL chances and much playing time by virtue of the consensus that he's just supposed to be good.

If I were the parent of a prospect, I'd find a scout at 24/7, ESPN, Rivals, or On3 and bribe them. They are all faceless and likely make a very modest wage. If I were a scout for any of those companies, I'd absolutely be open for any and all bribes. Money, sex, a home-cooked meal while I'm on the road... just gotta be worth that extra star bump.
Exactly! 99 out of 100 times these lazy corrupt “scouts” hurt white hs players but help overrated black ones. This is the one time a recruiting profile will help a white athlete. It’s confirmation bias and the hive mind at work. If you’re a top 50-100 player at 16 years old pretty much no matter what you’ll get drafted and given every opportunity to succeed. And most of the time these players have peaked at that age and never get any better! It’s crazy

Warhawk_46

Master
Indeed, the black RB actually got more carries.
Shipley has turned into 1B to 1A to his black teammate. Shipley had a run of poor games (can’t always blame the block as black back Phil Mufa played behind the same line and outperformed him) and it cost him his clear-cut starter role. He has been the backup the past two weeks.

Hopefully he turns in two more big games to finish the season and then talk is he will transfer to South Carolina State for his senior year. He needs to have a huge senior year to raise his draft stock otherwise he risks being undervalued and under drafted and forgotten in the dustbin of white running backs.

booth

Mentor
Shipley graduates in December. He has not committed to coming back for his 4th year. A lot of pressure from his parents to finish his career at N.C.State, both parents are N.C.State graduates. His mother has 26 relatives who graduated from State.

Warhawk_46

Master
Not liking what I am hearing from Shipley. He lost his starting spot at Clemson and had a bad year. He tries to go to the NFL and he will be forgotten about soon as he will not be a early round draft choice.

He NEEDS to stay in school (SC State would love to have him and he would immediately be running back #1) and have an All-American year if he is to carry the mantle from McCaffrey in the NFL.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree that he should stay in school. I would prefer that he stays at Clemson. Go get that starting job back. At least he gets alot of
carries splitting even in the worst case scenario. No guarantee a new team will work out.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Clemson a nice high profile program too. He needs to have a better final season there. He has the talent to do it. Here’s hoping

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Ok gentlemen. I'm going to come at this from another prospective. In my opinion and we all know what opinions are like. He should skip the bowl game and hire CMAC's speed, strength and agility coach and get ready for the draft. His Clemson highlight film says it all. He can return kickoffs, he can get out in space and run past defenders and just like McCaffrey, he has the strength to run between the tackles. He's also a pretty good pass receiver out of the backfield and can line up in the slot as well. I looked up Shipley's height and weight. 5'11, 209 lbs. exactly the same size as McCaffrey.
The only thing he doesn't possess that CMAC does is the same lateral quickness, but who else does? McCaffrey is the best RB in the NFL, one of the best ever IMO. He, Shipley can get better there, lateral quickness, with the proper training. One more year of college ball is not going to make him any better and he could get injured, again. I know it's a gamble, but waiting until next year will not change anything. He's still white and no matter how well he performs, he has a tremendous uphill battle.
He also needs to forget the heavy weight training with his legs and work solely on speed, balance and lateral quickness. Get that 40 time below 4.5, and shuttle down to 3.9-4.0 range. He should get a copy of McCaffrey's NFL combine workout and study it. It's flawless. If nothing else, it should motivate him to be flawless at the combine.
He can do it if he focuses and works his @$$ off. He's a tough young man and a tremendous athlete.
I'm not saying he can be another CMAC, but again who is. He can definitely make an NFL team and eventually become a starter. Right now, he has more ability than half of the NFL RB's currently in the league.
BTW, he is currently projected to go in the 5th round.

Last edited:

Bucky

Hall of Famer
@Carolina Speed you got me sold on that! Anyway you available to be his agent?

Also I’d like to think there’s no way Shipley lasts until 5th round if he dips into that 4.4 range! Even in the clown world we live in.

Warhawk_46

Master
While I can appreciate all of this, I can also point to Max Borghi, a similar talent in recent years who was talked about as having a great college season and then didn’t… and then declared and then went undrafted and never given an opportunity.

I remain highly skeptical of Shipley’s ability to rise in prominence enough if he doesn’t have that All-American-type of season behind him.

I’ve seen too many white players just get ignored. At this rate, Schrader has a better chance of sticking than Shipley given how wildly different their seasons turned out.

jphoss

Mentor
Ok gentlemen. I'm going to come at this from another prospective. In my opinion and we all know what opinions are like. He should skip the bowl game and hire CMAC's speed, strength and agility coach and get ready for the draft. His Clemson highlight film says it all. He can return kickoffs, he can get out in space and run past defenders and just like McCaffrey, he has the strength to run between the tackles. He's also a pretty good pass receiver out of the backfield and can line up in the slot as well. I looked up Shipley's height and weight. 5'11, 209 lbs. exactly the same size as McCaffrey.
The only thing he doesn't possess that CMAC does is the same lateral quickness, but who else does? McCaffrey is the best RB in the NFL, one of the best ever IMO. He, Shipley can get better there, lateral quickness, with the proper training. One more year of college ball is not going to make him any better and he could get injured, again. I know it's a gamble, but waiting until next year will not change anything. He's still white and no matter how well he performs, he has a tremendous uphill battle.
He also needs to forget the heavy weight training with his legs and work solely on speed, balance and lateral quickness. Get that 40 time below 4.5, and shuttle down to 3.9-4.0 range. He should get a copy of McCaffrey's NFL combine workout and study it. It's flawless. If nothing else, it should motivate him to be flawless at the combine.
He can do it if he focuses and works his @$$ off. He's a tough young man and a tremendous athlete.
I'm not saying he can be another CMAC, but again who is. He can definitely make an NFL team and eventually become a starter. Right now, he has more ability than half of the NFL RB's currently in the league.
BTW, he is currently projected to go in the 5th round.
Shipley should definitely reach out to cmac, I would think cmac would love to help out a fellow white rb, maybe use some connections he and his dad have in the league to ensure he gets drafted. And I do think he should leave if he’s able to get his 40 under 4.5. Remember he has that recruiting ranking bump that so often hurts our guys it’ll be nice to see it work for a white player for a change

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Good news concerning Will Shipley. An MRI showed no structural damage and no surgery is needed.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Great news indeed! Now where does he end up?!
He has repeatedly stated that he will either turn pro or come back to Clemson. If he goes pro, as I've said I wish he could find CMC's speed coach and work with him to get his 40 time under 4.5 for sure. He has consistently been timed at 4.4, but I think it has been HH, not laser. He was a HS NC State indoor 3A 60M track champion, but I fear they've bulked his legs up too much at Clemson and it has slowed him a bit. Either way I'll support him. He is an outstanding young man on and off the field with a bright future whatever he decides. It's been a pleasure watching him in HS and at Clemson.

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Good news on Shipley. Curious to see what decision he makes in the next few weeks. He will split time with Mafah if he stays at Clemson.