Will Shipley

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Good news on Shipley. Curious to see what decision he makes in the next few weeks. He will split time with Mafah if he stays at Clemson.
Well, I like Dabo, but if he were smarter, he would use them together. Offense would be more effective that way. I gotta say Mafah has earned playing time although he's a one trick pony. Shipley is way more versatile as seen by his KO returns in The Gator Bowl.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
To me it's a gamble either way. Not sure staying at Clemson another year is going to enhance his draft status. He has enough highlights to show what he can do, and he'll probably get invited to the combine. If he stays, he could risk another injury and if that happens it could hurt his draft status. He's currently projected to go into the mid rounds. 122nd overall. Generally, that means a 4 year guarantee of between 4-5 million. I know he has an NIL deal, but I doubt it's $5 million.
He needs to find CMC's speed coach and be ready to break 4.5 in the 40 and study CMC's combine workout. Rumor is he's always tested hand time under 4.5. There's no doubt that even if they, NFL doesn't want him at RB, he could play slot receiver, return kicks off whatever. There's definitely a place for Shipley in the NFL. He just needs to perform at the combine.

Warhawk_46

Master
To me it's a gamble either way. Not sure staying at Clemson another year is going to enhance his draft status. He has enough highlights to show what he can do, and he'll probably get invited to the combine. If he stays, he could risk another injury and if that happens it could hurt his draft status. He's currently projected to go into the mid rounds. 122nd overall. Generally, that means a 4 year guarantee of between 4-5 million. I know he has an NIL deal, but I doubt it's $5 million.
He needs to find CMC's speed coach and be ready to break 4.5 in the 40 and study CMC's combine workout. Rumor is he's always tested hand time under 4.5. There's no doubt that even if they, NFL doesn't want him at RB, he could play slot receiver, return kicks off whatever. There's definitely a place for Shipley in the NFL. He just needs to perform at the combine.
It seems kids rarely think about a legacy nowadays. I don’t know.

I suppose as he has already graduated from Clemson and lost his starting role, and refused to entertain transferring somewhere to be the guy. This makes sense.

I just hope it doesn’t render him another What If? victim of the caste system.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
He should have stayed in college to develop further.
I don't see him getting anywhere in the NFL.
He didn't perform that well this year - he even lost his position as a starter.

If he gets drafted, he still won't see any playing time. He'll be another lost white running back.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I agree with your assessment. He really couldn’t achieve much more on the football field - Clemson does not look to be a national championship caliber team going into 2024. He is betting on himself and despite the huge hurdle of the caste system we should all root for him.

We certainly want these kids to do what we think is based but of course we are hyper focused on the racial aspect. Our awareness of the caste system and the racial politics in sports is something Shipley may or may not be aware of, I would think he is at least aware at the topical level of the racial dynamics in football.

Injuries are a big concern and he dodged a major one in the bowl game. We can only be optimistic that CMC is slowly changing minds at the RB position. We are looking at Dylan Laube, Carson Steele and Cody Schrader all joining Shipley in the 2024 draft. In a fair draft all 4 of them should be drafted by round 4 but we know how that goes. Racial awareness is certainly beginning to bubble up a little with much credit given to Rashad Mendenhall and his racist anti-White statements.

Rocky B

Master
When was the last time three or four running backs, white running backs, have been drafted? The 80’s? The 70’s? Fullbacks not included.
Awesome......I may have to do some research.

Phil

Guru
If Shipley stays at Clemson there's a good chance he ends up the backup rb after Mafah. Plus the chance of injury. But the chance of him starting at running back for an NFL team is slim. It took McCaffrey's out of this world talent for him to bypass the caste system

ximasa

Guru
If Shipley stays at Clemson there's a good chance he ends up the backup rb after Mafah. Plus the chance of injury. But the chance of him starting at running back for an NFL team is slim. It took McCaffrey's out of this world talent for him to bypass the caste system

Agree here. Mafah will be the starter, Shipley is hurting his stock if stays for another year, hence Clemson is having less chance to compete though cpf expansion. He's white RB, he knows more than us .

sprintstar

Mentor
I think if Shipley does go to the NFL combine healthy he times a 4.45 40yd dash but his 3 cone will be off the charts. My own thoughts are that he needs to work on his mental game....

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Nice highlights reel. Considering the program he played for and the competition he played against Shipley should be a no-brainer draft choice and get the opportunity to be a feature back in a league that has excluded White running backs for generations except for the current brilliant outlier on the 49ers:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Nice highlights reel. Considering the program he played for and the competition he played against Shipley should be a no-brainer draft choice and get the opportunity to be a feature back in a league that has excluded White running backs for generations except for the current brilliant outlier on the 49ers:

Saw this reel the other day when looking up Shipley news. It's quite impressive. When going into the Clemson message board it's inexplicable the number of board members who seemingly have turned on Shipley and or never thought much of him in the first place. There are some supporters, but I'd say 3 out of 4 say he has no chance making an NFL roster.
Most believe Phil Mafah is the better RB.

sprintstar

Mentor
He is every bit as fast or faster than CM, runs with power and is shifty and elusive as heck.....

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Shipley wasn't nearly as good this season as last season.
Any thoughts as to why?

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Shipley wasn't nearly as good this season as last season.
Any thoughts as to why?

He was not utilized correctly. The playcalling for him in the backfield was fairly predictable when compared to Mafah. Clemson was not a great team this year either, Klubnik did not develop into the passer he was expected to so teams did not respect the pass as much. He's easily a 3rd rounder if skin color was not to be taken into consideration.

Shipley is listed with a 4.43 forty, right at CM speed. Mafah is a comparatively turtlish 4.65. It's a good bet that DWFs think Mafah is faster, just based on what he is.

Warhawk_46

Master
He was not utilized correctly. The playcalling for him in the backfield was fairly predictable when compared to Mafah. Clemson was not a great team this year either, Klubnik did not develop into the passer he was expected to so teams did not respect the pass as much. He's easily a 3rd rounder if skin color was not to be taken into consideration.
Some of that is true, but we must also admit he just didn’t look as good as the year prior. And to make matters worse, Mafah outplayed him down the stretch.

He will slide in the draft as a white has to dominate much more than a black to be respected by GM’s and coaches and scouts. Even then they get denigrated.

So expect Shipley to be a late round draft choice. But he will stick on a roster and I predict actually have a productive career. He is just too talented and the tide is (slowly) turning in regards to discrimination against whites. Slowly… but it is happening.