Who is the best quarterback ever?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I would go with Steve Young hands down. He has the highest passer rating ever and he was a good runner too. He had 43 rushing touchdowns which is tops for a quarterback.

Bear Backer

Mentor
lumsdenpower said:
Peyton Manning easily, he is gonna be the best football player ever

I agree, and I think it will be hard to argue against him should he add on another Championship or two to his resume with all the stats he has. The way the Colts looked against New Orleans that seems like it might be a real possibility in 2007.

yanling

Guru
I think Dan Marino is the best NFL quarterback to never actually win the Superbowl.

schajw

I like Elway. He carried teams kicking and screaming into Super Bowls they didn't belong in. Imagine if he'd had a running game and JerryRice in his prime...

But I'll guarantee you this, they could play NFL football forever and the best QB will always be a White man.

G

Elway seems like a good choice, he did more with less than the other greats. He was more athletic than the rest of them, except for Young who was his equal. Elway played at the highest level for a longer time than all of the other greats as well.

Manning will overtake Elway though if he wins another superbowl and continues to play nearly perfect football for another 5 years.

I don't get the Favre worship thing, he's not even in this dicussion in my opinion.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Bobby Layne!

emt1

Guru
vince young..........
smiley36.gif
just kidding........i would say john elway

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Joe Montana

Joe Montana!!

He won a NTL Championship at Notre Dame & 4 Super Bowls IN the NFL...

People forget that the 49'ers was the joke of the NFL when Montana first arrived...

People always tell me he had Jerry Rice & that's what made him great...NOPE, He won 2 Super Bowls BEFORE Jerry Rice....

He threw 0 interceptions in all 4 super Bowls & made clutch play after clutch play in crunch time on the biggest stage...That's what made him the Greatest Ever...

In 1994 with the Kansas City Chiefs he BEAT the 49'ers that won the super bowl that year with Steve Young, Jerry Rice, & company...If it wasn't for the fact that he got beat up by the KC O-line he would have won a SB with the Chiefs too...By the time he got to the playoffs he was getting way too many concussions....

Fastest 3 step dropback I've ever seen & beautiful passes hitting guy right in stride where only the reciever could catch it....PERFECT!!

White Power

Mentor
Dan Marino was the best pure passer and perhaps best quarterback to ever play the game period hands down.
He never had a defense or running game and teams knew what Miami was going to do, and they could not stop him. He was simply the best I ever watched play the game period bar none.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Yes but young has the highest passer rating of all time and was a double threat as he could run. I believe he is better tham Manning.

devans

Mentor
Steve Young for me, but Manning is still playing and who knows what he might accomplish.

Poacher

Mentor
Marino was the best pure passer but I would take Montana overall.

Marty Schottenheimer once said that if he had one game to win he would want Joe Montana as his QB but that if he had one play to win a game he would want John Elway. Always liked that answer.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i would go with Joe Montana, as well. the guy won wherever he went. of course, i'm not old enough to know much about any of his predecessors.

my favorite current QB, Peyton Manning, would be up there along with Steve Young and Tom Brady.
smiley4.gif

Deus Vult

Mentor
Just a few moments ago, I heard Cris Carter say that the Falcons organization really screwed up that team's QB situation, that the Falcons should have acquired Duante Culpepper or -- get this! -- Byron Leftwich, because "everyone knows you cannot win in the NFL with Joey Harrington..." He said this on Bob Costas' HBO show.

What everyone SHOULD know is that you cannot win, consistently, against quality teams, with Michael Vick at QB. Byron Leftwich's record, too, speaks for itself. It does not scream: "Winner!" Duante had an impressive year or two, with a great O-line and a receiver named Randy Moss on the other end of his jump-ball passes.

Carter's comments were barely-masked racial boosterism. If Joey Harrington were black, Cris Carter would be among his loudest advocates. I believe Carter's comments are meant to undermine Harrington's position in Atlanta with the fans, organization, and teammates -- especially black teammates.Edited by: Deus Vult

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Marty was spot on with his take on the situation. But we're not talking much about a guy who I think will go down as one of the greatest of all time, and that's Tom Brady. Who has ever done more with less than this guy? Three Super Bowls, with guys like Deion Branch as your number one WR? C'mon! He is Montana-esque in my opinion. Not flashy, not cagey, not going break out on long runs, but he gets it done brilliantly. Edited by: White Shogun

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I couldn't agree more White Shogun. Tom Brady is very similar to Joe Montana. Montana had a higher passer rating, but he had Jerry Rice. We'll see what Brady does this year with Moss and Welker. Both these guys are winners. Payton is the best season QB and has a stronger arm and more size. Payton's season stats so far would indicate he will be the best of all time, but he hasn't proved as clutch as Brady. If Brady were on the Colts he might have won 5 Superbowls already with that offense. Brady and Montana are unstoppable in the playoffs.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
ToughJ.Riggins said:
I couldn't agree more White Shogun. Tom Brady is very similar to Joe Montana. Montana had a higher passer rating, but he had Jerry Rice. We'll see what Brady does this year with Moss and Welker. Both these guys are winners. Payton is the best season QB and has a stronger arm and more size. Payton's season stats so far would indicate he will be the best of all time, but he hasn't proved as clutch as Brady. If Brady were on the Colts he might have won 5 Superbowls already with that offense. Brady and Montana are unstoppable in the playoffs.
I don't agree, If Manning was on the Patriots, he would have won the same amount of SB