What’s Your Favorite Movie?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I know a couple of you have discussed this before, but I thought I'd start a thread about it. Mine are The Passion of The Christ, Time Changers, and For Gods and Generals.

White_Savage

Mentor
Conan the Barbarian

Patton

Braveheart

I saw one of my favorites, Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1943), on TCM last night. I saw it the first time at age 11 in 1961 on the Late Show. When I see it now, what strikes me is how the America of that time is gone.

bigunreal

Mentor
My top four films of all time were directed by the great populist Frank
Capra: "It's A Wonderful Life," "Meet John Doe," "Mr. Smith Goes To
Washington" and "Mr. Deeds Goes To Town." Other favorites include the
original "King Kong," the old Universal Horror classics ("Dracula,"
"Frankenstein," etc.) and Oliver Stone's "JFK."

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It's a Wonderful Life,Cinderella Man,Family Man,Saving Private Ryan,Raging Bull,and a few others.

Bronk

Mentor
The Searchers (if you haven't seen it, do. Some of the themes would be of particular interest to Caste regulars).

Touch Of Evil, Cool Hand Luke.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
They Live
Braveheart
Gladiator
The Terminator
Stone Cold (pro-white bike flick with Bryan Bosworth!)

I'm usually up for a good comedy, the sillier the better:

Kingpin
Tommy Boy
Police Squad trilogy
Three Stooges (nyuck, nyuck)

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Wow, Don, I've never heard anybody even MENTION "They Live," let alone list it in their top five. Its one of my favorites, too. Can't find a more telling movie about mass mind control than this one!

Actually, of your top five are some of my favorites as well. I would also add:

The 13th Warrior
The Last Samurai
and, Hidalgo, with Viggo Mortensen.

GWTJ

Mentor
Older movies:

The Blob
Invasion of the body snatchers
It's a Wonderful life.
Pride of the Yankees
Lifeboat
Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein.(or any of their movies)
Horse Feathers(or any Marx brothers movie)

newer movies:

Airplane
Naked Gun
Bad News Bears
The original "Kung Fu" movie with David Carradine(and the show)
Terminator I II
Predator
Aliens
Wall Street
Swordfish
Napoleon Dynamite(even funnier if you have a teenage son)

I could go on. Very hard to narrow it down to 2 or 3.

White_Savage

Mentor
Bronk:
Right on about the Searchers.

BTW, I mentioned "Conan" because I think it's the most pro-White big-time film ever, albeit in a subtle manner. You have to watch it to see what I mean. Only appropriate, since Robert E. Howard, like all sensible men of his generation, was highly racially aware. The director, John Milius, is highly conservative, anyone remember his film "Red Dawn"?

White_Savage

Mentor
BTW, forgot one.
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, because like Conan, it serves up alot of themes, images, and values our Celto-Germanic ancestors would appreciate, albeit in a fantastic setting, and because the director resisted any PC urge to tamper with Tolkein's vision by anachronistically inserting any "black elves" or somesuch nonsense into the cast of beautiful, brave, strong, tough, and courageous White characters.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree with the Searchers, Conan, Red Dawn, and The Lord of The Rings Trilogy. I also like The Outlaw Josey Wales. Braveheart is in there too. I think that is one of my Dad's favorites too. He always liked Thunder Road with Robert Mitchum. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Spooge

Guru

Farehight 451

Braveheart

Jeremiah Johnson

The mountain men

Rob Roy

Soylent Green

Silent Running

Zulu

Zulu Dawn

Breaker Morant

And honorable mention to Shogun for " The 13 warrior" I forgot about
that one cause it kinda trailed off toward the end, but good movie and
luv the Vikings.

Bronk

Mentor
I like Red Dawn, the only anti-communist film to come out of Holyweird since the 1950s, along with The Green Berets.

The values in Braveheart are superb. Zulu is fantastic. I had my kids watch it with me one afternoon and they loved it.

Others:
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Barbarossa (Willie Nelson and Gary Busey)
Rio Bravo (the answer to that over rated commie crap film High Noon).
Pork Chop Hill (GREAT Korean War film that puts the fighting in perspective)
Miller's Crossing
Tender Mercies
Places in the Heart

There are a whole lot more.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Not much of a movie goer anymore. As a kid loved cowboy movies. Still like John Wayne in Rio Bravo and Rio Lobo, which were basically the same movie, campy but enfertaining. Walter Brennan was fabulous as Stumpy. The struggle between the kindly sheep rancher against the evil cattleman made Shane a great flick. Alan Ladd, Van Heflin and Jack Palance played their roles well.

A man for all Seasons. Zulu The Natural Tender MerciesHigh NoonBilly Budd

Didn't care for the plot or Meryl Streep but the music and scenery in-Out of Africa- was great. Just about every one of Jon Barry's musical scores are fantastic. Peter Sellers as Clouseau still makes me laugh.Cary Grant's light comedies are timeless. How about the dialogue in those old gum shoe detective stories, especially Robert Mitchum asPhilip Marlow.

I'm one of those who think The Marx Brothers had more rep than talent and The Stooges couldn't hold a candle to Laurel and Hardy who were more subtleand nuanced in comparison. Did you ever see them in -The Music Box?

White_Savage

Mentor
I agree wholeheartedly about "They Live". There is no way on this Earth the people who made that film were just making a sci-fi popcorn...the hidden theme must be intentional.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Bronk said:
Rio Bravo (the answer to that over rated commie crap film High Noon).

There are a whole lot more.

Bronk, I noticed today what you wrote about - High Noon. I did a search and read of the controversy because of the so-called black list and McCarthy. Gary Cooper was anti-communist and I doubt he would have done the film if he thought it had adetrimental message. The drama to me is about a good man who acts honorably , alone under great pressure while all the people around him are fearful and cowardly.

JD074

Master
I was a big movie buff as a teenager but have pretty much ignored movies for the last few years. I was a big Stanley Kubrick fan, especially his masterpiece 2001: a Space Odyssey. I really liked Life is Beautiful, despite it being one of about three trillion Holocaust movies. (The main character was just so brave, heroic, and selfless.) Like Don, I love comedies. Airplane was the original satire/ spoof movie, loved that one. Big South Park fan so I loved their movie. How about sports movies? Hoosiers is the king of that genre as far as I'm concerned. Field of Dreams was great, too. Horror movies are great. Psycho had some great, tense moments.

Bronk

Mentor
Bart, sure, High Noon is a good movie, but the ideas behind it are something else.

When Howard Hawks saw High Noon he was outraged. What the hell was Gary Cooper -- the sheriff -- doing by trying to recruit a bunch of town's people to fight his battle? The sheriff is a professional lawman and should only rely on other professionals to go up against the bad guys who were on their way to take him.

He made Rio Bravo to show how Cooper SHOULD have acted. Note how John Wayne turns down help from amateurs because his job is to protect those people, not enlist them to get shot. This is a movie about men who willingly face danger to prove that they are worthy to their friends and themselves. There is more to it than that but that is the essence of Rio Bravo.

The problem Cooper had in High Noon is that he was ALONE. His deputy, Lloyd Bridges, wouldn't stand with him. John Wayne has three deputies-the drunken Dean Martin, the lame Walter Brennan and the youthful Ricky Nelson-in Rio Bravo. Nelson is shown to be good with a gun as is Martin when sober. Walter Brennan's character is good with a shotgun.

Incidentally, Gary Cooper was an authentic Westerner who knew from boyhood how to ride a horse and carry a gun. I loved him as Alvin C. York ever since I first saw Sergeant York many years ago.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Field of Dreams is a likable movie but really, what the heck is going on there? Are they real or not? Why did they drag the James Earl Jones chararcter into it? Why did he go to a Red Sox game? And no black imaginary players how did they get away with that?

Pride of the Yankees is a good movie, I thought Gary Cooper did a good job as Gehrig and the baseball was good.

The Natural is a pretty good movie. Redford looks like a real player and the baseball is OK.

I don't much like any of the lead chararcters but "Bull Durnham" is a good movie. Costner plays the game well.

The Tom Selleck movie "Mr. Baseball" is a good one if you have not seen it. Selleck really can play the game!

White_Savage

Mentor
While we're on baseball movies, you can't forget "Pride of St. Louis", about Dizzy Dean. Excellent movie about a better time in America and baseball.

Bronk

Mentor
Cooper was a great movie star and a good American. He was my grandfather's favorite. Sergeant York was one of my favorite movies as a kid -- even though it was made as a pro-WWII-interventionist film by the New Dealers.

Let me put in a plug here for the movie Hoosiers, maybe the best sports movie ever made. Just about damn near perfect, I don't even care that the formulas are well worn, they are so excellently mixed that the whole thing works well.

Gary Cooper was very right-wing in his political beliefs, as was his good friend James Stewart. Speaking again of the film Sergeant York, being from rural Tennessee, I know that the people and culture portrayed in the film really did exist.

1.) Pump Up the Volume (a flick that is basicly about Freedom of Speech and its underlying message of 'don't trust anyone over 30' has now been turned on its head since all the PC boomer hippies are old now. Made in 1990-1991 it is refreshingly devoid of so-called diversity which didn't really start to gain steam until about 1995.)

2.) Red Dawn

3.) Star Trek: Insurrection (check out: Jew Trek: "How About that Anti-Semitism in Star Trek?" and also The Fascist Ideology of Star Trek: Militarism, Collectivism, & Atheism although there are many points in the 2nd essay I disagree with the basic thesis that Star Trek is fascistic is one I totally agree on in a positive manner. )

4.) Tango and Cash - a good action flick (one of my most favorite genres), I have always kind of been hoping there would be a sequel to this one.

5.) Starship Troopers - I have seen that there is a straight to DVD sequel out now also so I need to go and pick that up although I am certain it won't be as good as the original. There are alot of interesting debates about this film and how it compares to novel (which I have never read, but the debates are interesting none-the-less)Edited by: Uberberserker