Ultimate Fight Night Results

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
A bad night for white fighters tonight. Almost all of them were beaten tonight by their darker skinned opponents.

The worst beating of all was handed out by Anderson Silva to TUF guy Chris Leben. Leben was KO'd at 0:49 in the first round. He must have received about 20 punches and a high kick to the head, as well as several knees, before being KO'd. At one point it looked like Silva knocked him out, Leben fell and came to, after which Silva knocked him out again. It was a brutal butt kicking.

Rashad Evans won a majority decision over Stephan Bonnar, which if one were to be objective, should have been unanimous.

Josh Koscheck won by UD over Dave Menne.

Jorge Santiago wins by TKO over Justin Levens.

The only white fighters to win were Jon Fitch over Thiago Alves, by TKO, and Mark Hominick over Jorge Gurgel by UD.

The top two headliners in in tonight's fights, Bonnar and Leben, were crushed by their opponents. Bonnar had no answer for Rashad's takedowns, and Leben had no answer for anything.

I do not believe that these fighters were purposely overmatched in order to find rising black stars for the UFC. Rashad/Bonnar were both on TUF and appeared to have the same amount of experience and ability, til now. But Anderson Silva was vastly underrated by the UFC match makers. He has faced good competition in the past, much better than has Leben, and is more well rounded than Leben. It will be interesting to see who they match these men against next.

Triad

Mentor
I think this was Silva's UFC debut. He has been fighting in some overseas organizations. He kicked some major ass. Leben was 15-1 and if the ref hadn't stopped it he would have been beaten to death in another 30 seconds.

Although it was a depressing night for the white fighters, I didn't see a non white conspiracy either. Evans was too strong and slippery (i.e. sweaty) for Bonnar to put a submission on him and Leben was outclassed.

It isn't worth getting depressed about given how rare it is is to see such a thing happen.

Compare the whuppings Fedor, Igor Vovchanchyn, Coture, Coleman, Mirko Crop Cop and others have been putting on blacks for along time.

This was just a one off.

JD074

Master
Evans deserves credit for the victory, but man is he a boring fighter! He's good at takedowns but he had nothing else. No ground and pound, no submission, no stand up, no nothin'. Of course I can't be ojective about a black fighter (and I couldn't care less,) but boring is boring.

(Obviously Bonnar was much, much worse. That goes without saying.)

Evans is the kind of guy who someone like Jody could point to and say, "See! Look at what a strong black guy without that much skill can do! There are hundreds of black guys like that! And imagine if he was actually skilled. Look at what Jackson did to your god, Liddell!"

Leben got destroyed!!! Wow, I didn't see that coming. He's been very impressive up to this point. What are the chances that Silva could become champ?

This "fight night" could be repeated many times in the next few years. There are basically a few top guys who are white, but under them, the UFC is wide open. You've got Arlovski and Sylvia at HW, Liddell at LHW, Franklin at MW, and Hughes and St. Pierre at WW. Those guys are very dominant, but what else is there? Liddell, Franklin, and Hughes are going to get old at some point. There may be a changing of the guard over the next five years, and it may be predominantly Brazilian, Mexican, black, etc. Hopefully the white Americans and Europeans can hold their own.

I wouldn't worry too much about a black takeover.

The majority of the up and comers in smaller mma events are mostly white.
Also with mma just starting to get really popular in England and Ireland and with old eastern bloc countries still pumping out great talent (check out the Red Devil sports team that Fedor belongs to) I'd say te future of top level mma will be white for quite some time.Edited by: Trooper Thorn

White_Savage

Mentor
JD074 said:
Evans deserves credit for the victory, but man is he a boring fighter! He's good at takedowns but he had nothing else. No ground and pound, no submission, no stand up, no nothin'. Of course I can't be ojective about a black fighter (and I couldn't care less,) but boring is boring.

(Obviously Bonnar was much, much worse. That goes without saying.)

Evans is the kind of guy who someone like Jody could point to and say, "See! Look at what a strong black guy without that much skill can do! There are hundreds of black guys like that! And imagine if he was actually skilled. Look at what Jackson did to your god, Liddell!"

And this is the kind of logic I just love...Jeremy Wariner and Andrew Rock prove there's hundreds of White guys who could dominate running if they tried?

Evans, giving credit where credit is due, is not unskilled. He has boxing and wrestling experience, which if you'll remember wasn't enough to stop an actually unskilled Brad Imes, whom Evans couldn't knowck out with his Sunday punch.

And I just hate Dana White for not picking up Quinton Jackson's contract. (Instead he's going to bum around the KOTC. This is like Barry Bonds joining a bush-league team, only his homers still count the same, people.) Look at Liddell-Jackson. Look at Couture-Liddell 1. Eerily similar. Both times, in very similar ways, Liddell was defeated by men who exploited holes in his game plan and probably, his taking them lightly. Just like in his rematches against Couture, a motivated Liddell WILL find the chin with the fist that puts everyone sleep against Jackson.

If the UFC has the balls to bring it to us before Liddell retires anyway....

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Anderson Silva has been around awhile. He has beaten Jeremy Horn and Carlos Newton, but has lost to Ryu Chonan and Daiju Takase. This was a chance for Leben to show what he was made of, and well.. it turns out his chin is not made of granite after all. I think Leben has it in his head that he can take any shot and knock out anyone, which he cannot, so this fight was a good wake up call for him. I think a rematch would be a much better and different fight, although I'd still pick Silva to win it.

Now everyone thinks because Silva beat Leben, he will beat Rich Franklin, too. Although I don't think Silva should be taken lightly, beating Leben is not the same as beating Rich Franklin, either. Silva should face Loiseau or Marquardt before he is given a shot at Franklin's title, IMO.

I'm not too worried about an ethnic takeover of mixed martial arts, either. Bonnar loses because he wants to throw bombs and 'entertain' the fans. Silva won, well, because he is good, but there are guys out there who have, can, and will beat him. He isn't the Tiger Woods of MMA - he beat Chris Leben, a popular TUF fighter, and thats why everyone is talking about him. Let's see how much they talk about him after the July 8th, after the Tito-Ken / Arlovski-Sylvia fights. Edited by: White Shogun

JD074

Master
I don't think there would be a total "takeover." But the best UFC fighters could look more like the best Pride fighters. There's Brazilian, Japanese, black, and of course White. Perhaps the changing of the guard won't be "predominantly" non-white, but it could be partially non-white. Given the makeup of Pride, it's not unrealistic.

Savage, I'm with you! It would be so cool to see a Jackson/ Liddell rematch. That and Klitschko/ Brewster are my dream fights.

I'm glad that Silva has been around. I'd never heard of him; I thought maybe he was an up and comer, and could eventually be a champ. How old is he? I actually missed the fight itself; I only saw the replay. Blink and you miss it! Or channel surf and you miss it.
smiley4.gif

Shogun, do you think that Bonnar could've won if he didn't try to "entertain the fans?" It's hard to imagine him beating Evans without stopping all those takedowns. And he was never close to subbing him. Edited by: JD074

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
Shogun, do you think that Bonnar could've won if he didn't try to "entertain the fans?" It's hard to imagine him beating Evans without stopping all those takedowns. And he was never close to subbing him.

I think Bonnar will lose to any fighter who is proficient in takedowns until he learns to sprawl, or at least implements it in the Octagon.

His desire to 'entertain,' if you will, leaves him flat footed and trying to throw bombs with every shot. Throwing that way makes you more susceptible to takedowns, which also refutes the argument that a boxer would automatically win in a mixed martials arts contest. They'd get taken down the same way.

I like Bonnar and would like to see him have more success. I always think of his quote during TUF 1, that his face has 'punch appeal.' A sign of the times in which we live when a good looking white kid's face is said to have 'punch appeal.'