UFC 170

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Complete white-out on the main card. Cormier is black and Whitaker is Maori (or something). Other than that all our guys (and girls). I call a McMann upset of Rousey as well. McMann is an Olympic-caliber wrassler so I see her taking Ronda down and avoiding her submissions. Incidentally, they gave Cormier a guy who is making his UFC debut and only has 4 fights.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Cormier had great conditioning even when he was obese…an attribute that has likely improved given his recent weight loss. He can overwhelm an opponent with a barrage of punches (though he severely lacks knockout power) and his wrestling is world class. If he wins this fight against the little-known Patrick Cummings, he’ll likely fight either Gustafsson (assuming he defeats Manuwa) or Jones.

Apparently, Cumming made the Negro cry during a wrestling practice session the two had together many years ago...

Cormier hasn’t seen Cummins, a promising MMA prospect, for about six years, but he thought the two had remained friendly. That’s no longer the case after Cummins told White that he had made Cormier cry after getting the better of him in training. White relayed that story to the media Thursday during a luncheon in Las Vegas.
“It was very surprising,” Cormier said. “The stuff that happens in the wrestling room is supposed to stay in the wrestling room. There’s a lot of stress with trying to win an Olympic gold medal.”

Cormier said the story wasn’t entirely true. Cummins did get the best of him one day and Cormier was very emotional, but it was a tough time in his life. It was just one year after Cormier’s 2-month-old daughter died tragically in a car accident.

“I did cry,” Cormier said. “I also was going through a lot of personal things at the time. … It was the year after I dealt with the worst tragedy of my life.”

The Cummins he knew, Cormier said, wouldn’t bring something like that up. Cormier said when the two competed against each other in tournaments, he “smashed” Cummins.

Recently, Cormier shoved Cummins at a press conference, and he laughed in his face. Video...

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/02/video-daniel-cormier-shoves-patrick-cummins-at-ufc-170-news-conference/

The first sign that Patrick Cummins was finally starting to get under Daniel Cormier's skin came early in Thursday's UFC 170 press conference at Mandalay Bay.

"I feel like we've gotten really close this past week," Cummins said to his Saturday night opponent. "So I'm not calling you Daniel, I'm calling you Dan, are you OK with that?"

"And I'm going to beat you up on Saturday, are you OK with that?" Cormier snapped.

Later in the presser, as UFC president Dana White said that Cummins' story, as he went from coffee-shop barista to UFC co-main evener in the span of 10 days, was "a real-life Rocky story," Cormier forced a half-smile, half-grimace.

There has been understandable skepticism about the UFC's pushing of the storyline to this light heavyweight fight between the 13-0 Cormier and the 4-0 Cummins, which came together last week, after Rashad Evans had to pull out of a bout with Cormier due to a knee injury.

But if this is entirely an act, then Cormier deserves an Oscar nomination. Before White could square Cormier and Cummins off for their post-fight pose for the benefit of photographers, Cormier marched up to Cummins and gave him a two-handed shove.

"I don't know, I wasn't expecting that," White said afterwards. "I didn't see that coming or I never would have let them get that close to each other."
By now, everyone knows the story of how Cormier cried after Cummins beat him in the "shark tank" during Cormier's Olympic wrestling training. White said that Cormier reacted in anger from the moment he was informed about Cummins' comments.

"I called [Cormier], and I said ‘I've got good news and bad news.' I said ‘the good news is, I got you a fight.' I said ‘do you know this kid Cummins? He said ‘yeah.' He's going to take the fight. The bad news is, he said he made you cry in training. He said, ‘he said that?' I said ‘yeah.' And he went off.

"I think he's embarrassed, I think he's upset," White continued. "Is it contrived? Only he knows that. Apparently, in the wrestling world, he broke the man code. He broke the law of wrestling. All the guys who are wrestlers have said that to me. You don't do it."

While incidents such as these help drum up interest in a fight, White insists he's not a fan of such altercations. For one thing, someone could get hurt and cause a fight to get called off. But usually, White knows when to expect bad blood.

"A lot of times, if there is something heated, it usually starts in the back before they come out for the weigh-ins," White said. "That won't happen tomorrow, we can promise you that. Normally it starts in the back and you hear about it, and they warn me before they come out for the weigh-ins. Or if even one thing is said back and forth in interviews or on Twitter or whatever, I'm usually ready for that. I wasn't ready for that. I don't like when that happens. Anything can happen out there."

If this was entirely some elaborate pro wrestling ruse, one would assume Cummins would have played into it as well, rather than just stand there with a bemused look on his face, appearing unsure what to do, after looking so poised all week.

Only Cormier knows whether he was just trying to drum up interest in the fight. But as one of the biggest betting-book favorites in UFC history going into the bout, Cormier best heed his own advice from earlier in the press conference.

"Pat and I can argue all week," Cormier said. "But when we step into the cage, I'm a professional."

At least Cummins, a huge underdog, doesn’t seem intimidated. Let’s hope our guy can somehow defeat Cormier come Saturday.

Last edited:

icsept

Master
I'm curious to see how Rory McDonald bounces back from a subpar fight. I expect him to be reinvigorated to get a title now that his buddy st. Pierre vacated. Huge knockout by Rory over a name opponent is a good start.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
The thing is, Cummins is a legit prospect. He is an NCAA wrestling champ and 4-0. But giving him Cormier on his first fight in the UFC???? Cormier may have trouble with the cut to 205 as a lot of fighters do when dropping weight classes. I am of course hoping for a Cummins win but will be happy if he lasts 3 rounds and gives a good account of himself.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
The thing is, Cummins is a legit prospect. He is an NCAA wrestling champ and 4-0. But giving him Cormier on his first fight in the UFC???? Cormier may have trouble with the cut to 205 as a lot of fighters do when dropping weight classes. I am of course hoping for a Cummins win but will be happy if he lasts 3 rounds and gives a good account of himself.
I was saying the same thing. They give this guy a fight with a title contender in his first fight. Meanwhile Sterling, who is on the same card is facing a guy who is not UFC level for his debut. More likely Cormier will just spend the entire fight keeping him against the cage and punching him. That is all he ever does.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Really excited to see how Koch does at 155. He was apparently killing himself to get to 145. He is still only 24 or so. I predict he make a lot of noise at 155.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Koch is tough at 155 -his natural weight class. He almost beat Poirier at 145.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
This is something I hate about MMA. Pat Cummins has signed to fight a fighter and forty times that other fighter has backed out when they find out how good he is. Colby Covington is another guy who is having problems with guys backing out of fighters after they find out how good he is.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Sterling sucks, he has no striking and his cardio was pretty ****ty. I expect UFC to let him pad his record, like they did for Michael Johnson, and eventually he will face someone with decent skill and lose.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Wow - Thompson another good white prospect at 170. Nobody is going to outstrike him.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Thompson is the white Machida. Very similar styles. I'm actually a big fan of Karate in MMA. I feel it is a very effective for of striking, and is better at keeping people at bay than a style like muay thai. All striking styles do need a base to like wrestling or judo to avoid getting taken down though.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Waldburger just hasn't improved at all in the last 3-4 years. At least he lost to another white man.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Maia is my favorite fighter but he will never be champ. Congrats to Rory and I hope he learns to fight with more passion. He could have finished Penn, Ellenberger and Maia but he let them all survive.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Cummins should get at least one more fight in the UFC. He will beat a lot of guys but he fought one of the maybe 2-3 guys who can match him in wrestling.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Would have liked to see the ref give McMann more of a chance to fight. Still, credit where it is due - Ronda is easily the best female fighter out there. Would rather have a nice blond, blue eyed lass than a Serena Williams clone.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Would have liked to see the ref give McMann more of a chance to fight. Still, credit where it is due - Ronda is easily the best female fighter out there. Would rather have a nice blond, blue eyed lass than a Serena Williams clone.
Watching the "highlights" of the female fights I felt like I was watching jail beat downs from bull dykes who wanted to assert their dominance of new meat.....:scared: Obviously I am not a big fan of female MMA fighting...:thumbdown:

Old Scratch

Mentor
Herb Dean is the best ref in the business because Dana White said so, and I get all my opinions from him.