UFC 108 : Rashad vs. T.Silva

guest301

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
jcolec02 said:
White Shogun said:
Dixie, I'm tired of Dana, too, almost to the point of losing interest in the UFC altogether. They're setting up fights to make certain fighters look good and building story lines. It's too WWE-esque for me; I'm hoping Strikeforce can become a viable alternative for MMA in the long term.
I wish they would bring PRIDE back
smiley2.gif

The UFC owns the rights to Pride and Pride doesn't exist anymore. Japan does have some other MMA companies, something called Dream---- just had a major PPV with about 20 fights on the card mostly filled with Asian fighters.

hawkeye

Guru
Dana white seems to be going overboard trying to win over the British fan by putting them against underquality american fighters. The only reason they won the Ultimate fighter 9 was because 1. white changed the weight classes from 170 and 185 to 155 and 170 after the americans had already tried out 2. he seems to put these guys against under qualitfied fighters most of the time. I agree Kos will kill Daily and GSP will make quick work of Hardy. Then maybe it will shut up these annoying British fans.

White Shogun said:
Just wondering how you guys expected Hazelett to get Daley to the ground, on one hand, and then complain that Thiago fought Rashad's fight on the other.

Thiago couldn't keep the fight standing, even when he wanted to. Rashad's takedowns were too powerful. Rashad was an amateur wrestler. He set up his takedowns with feints and striking.

Hazelett isn't a wrestler, he is a BJJ black belt. All fights start on the feet and it takes some maneuvering to get a guy down, either like Rashad did or through clinching and single-leg takedowns. If Dustin had barged in he might have been KO'd just the same.

Don't know if you all are aware but Daley came in over weight. He was fined 10% of his purse by the SAC but Dana still awarded him knockout of the night, unlike in previous fights when he forbade an overweight

fighter from any win bonuses.

Rashad Evans is not exactly devoid of talent as a stand up fighter. He fought Chuck Liddel a basically stand up fight. I think he tried may be three take downs and he won by KTFO'ing Chuck Liddel.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Old White, I'm well aware of Rashad's stand up. I'm not sure why you quoted my post to point that out, because when I read it I don't see anything in there that says Rashad's stand up sucks. And I didn't say anything about Rashad's fight with Chuck Liddell. Just because he tried three takedowns against Liddell doesn't mean he only took Thiago down three times. Did you watch the Rashad - Thiago fight? Rashad did not stand with Thiago; almost the whole fight was fought with Thiago on his back or pressed against the cage. So whether Rashad has good stand up or not, he chose to take Thiago down instead of standing with him.

Chuck was winning the stand up against Rashad too, right up to the point he got KTFO. ;)

I am not a big MMA fan. I do watch UFC unleashed.hear that Evans was a very successful collegiate wrestler. However, his take down and mat skills were not impressive in the three fights I have seen. The one punch knock out power was. I am not so sure that anyone with even average mat skills would not be better off on the floor facing Evans over rated mat skills than taking a chance on the big left hand.

hawkeye

Guru
Basically Rashad won his fight against Liddell the same way he beat forest. He was losing and then he caught his oponent with a shot. It helps to have Greg Jackson as a trainer.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Rashad knocked out Chuck with a right not a left; and he KO'd Sean Salmon with a kick, in another fight he was also losing until he got the KO. I agree that Rashad hasn't shown much ground game, but Thiago is known more for his stand up (having won 12 of 13 fights by T/KO) than any sub. That's why Rashad spent the fight taking him down instead of standing with him - his wrestling and 'lay n' pray' is better than Thiago's ground game.

DixieDestroyer said:
Moose, I don't consider Thiago as White...he's more amerindian looking. JDS is a "White" Brazilian, but obviously not Aryan. Dos Santos looks as White as a Sicilian, Armenian, etc.

WS, Dana "Anti" White is such a hypocrite. First he signs tomato can Bimbo Lice after (rightly) bashing him endlessly. Then he signs a low-class vermin like Yvel. Now he awards KO of the night to a non weight-making Daley. I'm growing tired of Dana's mouth & caste push(es).

G301, I estimate Daley to get Koscheck next & get beat by TKO/G&P or submission. Daley is a one dimensional fighter.

Silva and Dos Santos look VERY White to me. Their skin color is White and they're def. of European ancestry. Most Brazilians are of Southern European stock, so they're not "Aryan" like Anglo-Saxons, but that doesn't make them any less White. I don't know where you get the idea Thiago Silva is "AmerIndian" looking. They're almost no full-blooded Indians left in Brazil, they're all mestizo. The mestizos are called "Pardos" because they have brown skin. Guys like Wandy, Nogueira bros and Belfort are mestizo Brazilians. But guys like Shogun, Thiago Silva, Shogun, Dos Santos, Luis Cane def. look White too me. I don't see any Amerindians features whatsoever in either of them. The few Full-blooded American Indians tend to resemble Asians and they DO NOT have White skin.

Btw since when is looking "Aryan" important. White ancestry stretches all the way from the British Isles, to the Middle East, and Central Asia. There are even large populations of White people in countries like Afghanistan/Pakistan.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Silva doesn't look White to me...sorry. JDS does appear to have the European heritage though. Looking "Aryan" is important to many White Nationalists...especially us of Aryan stock. However, it's not the "only" type of White (obviously). I'm proud to be of Anglo-Saxon bloodlines, but if I was Sicilian, etc...I'd be just as proud (of my heritage).