Top White Draft Snubs 2008

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Here are my top 10 white draft snubs of 2008:

WR:

Todd Blythe: He is probably the biggest snub of the draft. Blythe was Iowa State's most productive WR and actually went over 1000 yards as a sophomore, despite serious QB struggles throughout his career. He is not spectacular at any particular skill, but has a good all round skill set. He's big (6'5) with 4.6 flat speed (has run hand-times consistently in the 4.5 range though before) and is a good possession WR who is good at running routes. He is physical and will fight for the jump ball. He adjusts to the ball well and is fearless and is a smart player. To me Blythe is as good as Malcolm Kelly who was drafted in the 2nd round. Blythe should have been taken at the end of the 2nd or early 3rd round without the caste system. Instead he goes undrafted.

Luke Swan: Swan posted a 38.5 inch vertical at his Pro Day, ran a 3.98 short shuttle and a 6.66 3-Cone; all spectacular numbers. Swan was conference champion in the Long Jump at Wisconsin. Swan also helped the Badgers track team win conference titles in the 100 meter dash, 200 meter dash and 300 meter hurdles. He is a "very shifty" route runner with great hands and toughness and some speed to boot (I'd say he runs a 4.5 flat 40 yard or so). I would say without the caste system this guy would have been taken in the 3rd or 4th round (only b/c he injured his hamstring affecting his Sr. season production significantly; as he is really a late 2nd, early 3rd round guy). Swan certainly has the potential of a superstar in the making in the slot and he is already close to completely recovered from his torn hamstring.

Danny Amendola: This guy should have been drafted in the late 3rd round or 4th round as well. He grabbed over 1000 yards receiving at Texas Tech this past year and has been compared favorably to Wes Welker for his quickness, short burst ability, route running skills and ability to make the tough catch. He doesn't have good timed speed, but does everything else well. Danny's 4.64 40 time/ 4.58 Pro Day, slightly below average size and white skin were too much for him to overcome though to be drafted. He's a late 3rd or 4th round talent, but with the possible upside of being the next Wes Welker!

Samuel Giguere: Sure this guy played in Canada you say, but he is an amazing physical specimen that dominated in the CIS. Giguere is tough as nails, is absolutely ripped and ran a 4.49 40 yard dash (on a very slow track as he has run several sub 4.4 hand times before). He also posted a ridiculous 42 inch vertical at the CFL combine which would have been tops amongst all American players. This 5'11 200 lbs specimen should have been taken on his potential in the 5th-7th rounds. However, being a white Canadian; this guy will be lucky to get a FA contract.

RB:

Danny Woodhead: Compared by at least few people in the football ranks to Barry Sanders for his jaw dropping agility the NCAA all-division career rushing leader ran a 4.33/ 4.38 40 yard and posted a 38.5 inch vertical at his Pro Day. Woodhead also put up an impressive 20 reps on the bench at 5'8 200 lbs. Woodhead is a freak athlete who won the equivalent of the Div. II Heisman (Harlon Hill Trophy) twice. He even posted a whopping 8 yards per carry during his 2005 campaign and a 6.8 career average. People say he is too small for the NFL, but RBs his size have thrived for decades in the league. Woodhead without the caste system would have been taken in the 3rd or 4th round IMO, b/c of his size and the level of competition factor. But clearly in my mind this guy has "the ability of a 1st rounder" and "has superstar potential" written all over him. Instead he goes undrafted, but I'm hopeful he'll "at least" make a taxi squad.

Justin Beaver: This player is another small RB (5'8, 200 lbs.) as well. He ran a 4.45 40 yard at his Pro Day, 3.96 short shuttle & 6.72 three cone (both spectacular numbers) and put up a whopping 24 reps on the bench for his size. He broke the single season Div. III rushing record at Wisconsin White-Water. He showed he is able to carry the load with a whopping 444 carries for 2455 yards and 15 TDs; (his 5.5 YPC doesn't blow you away for Div. III though). This guy would have been drafted ahead of the overrated small schooler Omar Cuff w/o the caste system IMO. I'd say this guy should have been a 6th or 7th round selection "with the potential of a 3rd rounder". Instead he'll be lucky to get a FA contract.

Steve Korte Jr.: This "FB" didn't play much at LSU, but is a huge physical specimen at 6'1 223 lbs. and ran a 4.33 40 yard dash at his Pro Day. And just look at his JR. year H.S statistics from his bio: Had a stellar junior season, accumulating 1,234 yards (11.3 per carry) and 19 touchdowns on the ground ... Also saw time on the defensive side of the ball at linebacker ... Coached by Larry Favre...My Take: This guy was only considered a FB by white hating scouting services like Rivals.com, but with his athleticism and H.S production w/o the caste system he surely would be a worthy 7th round pick where you want to find hidden gems. We are yet to see if this guy will even get a tryout invite for NFL mini-camps.

LB:

Ben Moffitt: The best LB by far for USF. Moffitt ran a 4.59 40 yard dash and posted a 37.5 inch vertical for NFL scouts at his Pro Day. He was a big play-maker on defense for his team. The guys just an athletic freak who knows how to play LB. He should have been drafted for sure sometime on the early second day of the draft.

Jeremy Leman: This guy is a very smart player who was the leader of the Illinois defense. He posted a whooping 132 tackles for the Illini and 10.5 tackles for loss. He is a decent athlete by NFL standards for an LB to boot and would make a great MLB with his head for the game. Leman should have been a good second day pick for sure!

DT:

Derek Lokey: This guy is strong DT who is great against the run. He is a very underrated player for football powerhouse Texas. The shortage of white DTs in the NFL is mind boggling. Whites constantly win the worlds strongest man competition (we also have the world record in the squat and bench press) and white DEs and DTs are known to be many of the best in the league against the run. The leading tackler for DTs in the AFC last year was white Kelly Gregg despite him being only one of of very few that was allowed to start. And whites are also usually known for our "non stop motors" and "work ethic" which would translate well to the battles in the trenches that DTs face.

>>>Let's hold our breath and keep our fingers crossed that at least a lucky 7 of these guys make rosters or taxi squads, although it's highly doubtful.

If I had to pick only "a lucky 7" to make rosters or practice squads I'd pick: Todd Blythe, Luke Swan, Samuel Giguere, Danny Woodhead, Justin Beaver, Steve Korte Jr. and Ben Moffitt based on potential. Good luck to these draft snubs!Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Nice list. I've been following Blythe since he was a freshman. A black with similar speed at that height and with his hands could easily have gone in the first round. Lead-footed Mike Williams was a first rounder three years ago.

Blythe isthis year's version of John Standeford, though dozens and dozens of other similarly screwed talents could be named. And given Amendola's failure to be drafted it's obvious the "copycat" NFL isn't in any hurry to find more "Wes Welker types."

Riddlewire

Master
I know you were limiting yourself to just ten picks, but I feel that Paul Smith was the biggest draft snub, considering that Dixon (who won't translate to the NFL) was chosen and Smith wasn't.
Although I think he'll be good, I've never agreed with the 'franchise' label for Matt Ryan. IMO, the only QB in this draft better than Smith is Brian Brohm. No way are Woodson and Dixon even close to the QB skills of Smith.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I was gearing this thread more toward the "caste positions" though (that would normally not include QB, TE, interior OL or Kicker) However white QBs are starting to face the caste system too nowadays, as the media grossly over fuels the hype of at least a few black QBs every year. And if you mention it like Rush Limbaugh did you lose your job and are branded a racist.

Edited to add: I research mostly white players that are RBs and WRs in college. I do not have extensive knowledge of other positions b/c I don't watch a lot of college football.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Jamie Silva also came close to making my list. However, when you run a 4.8 flat 40 time at Safety that would probably even drop a black with big time Div. IA production for a big program down to the later rounds. He definitely would have been a good 5th round pick or so though.

The guy just has a nose for making plays. He also has a good initial burst and changes direction pretty well the one time I saw him play. He's got the hip wiggle. Don't hang your head just bust a move boy!
smiley36.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Danny Woodhead got the Brian Shay treatment. Even if he got drafted he would be used like Travis Jervey who was an absolute freak of an athlete. I hope he catches on somewhere as a free agent. Blythe is another guy with too much talent to not get drafted.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
"Jamie Silva also came close to making my list. However, when you run a 4.8 flat 40 time at Safety that would probably even drop a black with big time Div. IA production for a big program down to the later rounds."

I guess everyone forgot about RB Maurice Clarett? He was drafted with the same (or slower) 40-times as a RB by Denver!

Silva will catch on and make a roster, I'm sure of it. He plays alot like Pat Tillman, IMO. I also want to commend the Packers, who selected the ONLY white WRs who were even drafted at all. However, they needed to draft a better TE, and safety (Silva would actually be a great fit for the Packers).

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Well Silva was the slowest 40 time out of all the safeties invited to the combine. I think the second slowest 40 time was in the low 4.7s. And Safeties, RBs and WRs speed wise measure up pretty consistently in speed. They are the second fastest positions, behind CB, in football.

Silva has a an above average burst and changes direction well, and is a smart player who put up huge numbers though and was worthy of a 5th round pick or so. I don't get how whites are allowed to play safety and not RB. I guess you need more "hip wiggle" according to the experts to play RB and they ignore the fact that whites on average do better in the short shuttle and 3-Cone which takes elite agility and initial burst)

And BTW: I remember Denver "was actually" called foolish by the media for taking the troubled Maurice Clarett with 4.82 speed in the 3rd round that year. However, Clarett was reported to run a 4.6 when he was in playing shape dominating the competition as a freshman for Ohio State for their Championship team. And Yvenson Bernard who was considered a top 15 RB this year by many draft gurus dropped to about the 40th ranked RB and far out of draft consideration after running a 4.82. And Mike Hart went form being considered a 2nd rounder to falling to the late 5th round after running a 4.67.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Woodhead is too much of a freak athlete not to catch on somewhere. I just hope it's as an RB, not a WR or hybrid position.