Toby Gerhart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Several articles yesterday about Toby being traded before the regular season. He'll never get meaningful carries as long as Adrian Peterson is healthy, so a trade would be in his best interests rather than another of his prime years spent rotting on the bench again in 2013. And he'll be an unrestricted free agent after this season, so if he gets traded to a team that won't use him properly, he may have some leverage after 2013 for the first time.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/23/4259384/toby-gerhart-trade-vikings

Several articles yesterday about Toby being traded before the regular season. He'll never get meaningful carries as long as Adrian Peterson is healthy, so a trade would be in his best interests rather than another of his prime years spent rotting on the bench again in 2013. And he'll be an unrestricted free agent after this season, so if he gets traded to a team that won't use him properly, he may have some leverage after 2013 for the first time.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/23/4259384/toby-gerhart-trade-vikings

Gerhart has given up three years behind Peterson and this is a lot for a RB.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Man I hope he gets a chance. The Texans should have drafted him but wussed out and grabbed Ben Tate, who injured himself and then Arian Foster stepped up out of nowhere. Gerhart would have put up monster numbers for the Texans zbs, but Foster would have risen eventually and Gerhart would have gotten screwed and would have been forced into a timeshare, although Tate has still gotten more opportunities even with Foster healthy, and Foster is a complete back, can run, pass protect and catch very well, although it would have been harder to screw Toby over if he established himself the first year he came out for the Texans. Foster is a top back now, but he doesn't have the elite size/speed combo like Peterson. There are only a few backs that have had it, the last two were Steven Jackson and Ladanian Tomilson. Gee, just a coincidence I guess...although it would be much more painful to see Gerhart riding the bench over someone like BenJarvus Green Ellis or Cedric Benson (possible with the NFL, its already happened with Brian Leonard after riding the bench for Stevan Jackson). There was a brief period where people thought he could be a feature back after Hillis dominated but the NFL shut that up, Cleveland made him look like a fool with all of the stuff that they posted about him. Yes he made a few mistakes but they blew it out of proportion, you can't read an article about a team being interested in him without people calling him a diva and making jokes saying he is a headcase.

Gee I wonder why Rex Ryan and the Jets aren't interested? They want to give up some draft picks for Chris Ivory of the Saints. A guy that has never completed an entire year healthy. The most he played was 12 games back in 2010, and most of those games he couldn't finish because he would get injured. Granted he is a great runner when healthy, but not a great runningback, similar to Blount. He isn't good at pass protection and not that great as a receiver, oh yeah and he has fumble problems. It may not show up much on the stat sheet since he hasn't played much, but he was fumbling in practice constantly, which is why he struggled to get playing time at one point when he was healthy. He had 4 fumbles on 138 touches in 2010, compare that to the 8 fumbles Hillis had in 2010 on 331 touches, at the rate Ivory would have had between 9 to 10 fumbles with the same amount of touches. I wonder why the Jets have no interest in Hillis either? he has been down on his luck but would be a perfect fit, has done more than Ivory and would cost them less.

Statistically speaking though, backs who get 2k tend to decline the next season, of course its hard to get 2k again but their ypc usually drops by 1 to 2 ypc. It would be wise to have Gerhart, look at Terrell Davis after his 2k season. Realistically speaking that is his best chance of being a featured back, injury to Peterson. If another team picks him up he will probably have to share carries. Speaking of fumbles earlier and looking up 2,000 yard rushers. Dickerson had 49 fumbles in 4 years? damn!

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
The writer of this article trashes Toby but check out the comments section, everyone and I mean EVERYONE comes to Toby's defense. Good to see.

http://vikingsterritory.com/2013/speculation/whats-next-for-toby-gerhart

I appreciate this post TH! Great back and forth with the writer and Gerhart fans. Nice to see the writer back peddling and someone calling out his lack of knowledge and basic understanding of football as it relates to the RB position.

Thanks again.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, excellent comments. Those fans "get it" that Gerhart has feature back ability and thrives with lots of touches.

We can only hope that there's an organization that will sign Toby after this season and give him an opportunity. Or the Vikings trade him and keep Zach Line as one of Peterson's backups.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Toby's defensive teammates obviously still exhibiting the "tough love" they've shown him ever since he was a rookie:

As one of the perks of being Adrian Peterson’s backup, Toby Gerhart gets to take most of the first-team reps at running back during full-contact action. Unfortunately for Gerhart, that’s put him in the crosshairs for several big hits this week. In 11-on-11 short-yardage work Thursday, Gerhart absorbed huge shots on consecutive plays. He was upended on the first play by tackle Fred Evans and hit hard up high by Everson Griffen. On the next carry, Gerhart was popped in the backfield by linebacker Erin Henderson, drawing a chorus of “oooohsâ€￾ from the stands. Meanwhile, the reigning MVP stood safely by as an untouched and well protected bystander.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/218044091.html

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Yes the real reason gerhart was drafted there. I knew this would be his fate when he was drafted in '09..

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This article outlines some of Toby's frustrations (and has to make his situation somehow look the same as that of fullback Jerome Felton). Snippets:

Gerhart? He’s been around Peterson — or more exactly behind the star back — since being drafted in 2010. Upward mobility isn’t exactly a perk on the Vikings’ depth chart. So Gerhart’s path toward excellence remains stonewalled.

He enters the final year of his rookie contract with no promises for his football future.

“I feel like I can be a starting back and a premier back in this league,â€￾ he says. “We’ll see if I get that opportunity.â€￾

Beneath the surface of Peterson’s 2012 MVP brilliance was a fascinating reminder about football’s random twists of fate. One star’s talent provided Felton his golden opportunity. For Gerhart, it’s been an electric fence.

“This league can be cruel,â€￾ Peterson admits.

. . . In the shadow

If anyone can relate, it’s Gerhart, now in his fourth year as a Peterson insurance policy.

By now it’s well-documented that the reigning MVP has announced his quest, as preposterous as it sounds, to rush for 2,500 yards. When Gerhart heard about that goal for the first time, he swallowed hard.

“I was like, ’Twenty-five-hundred, huh? . That dude’s not coming off the field ever this year.’â€￾

It’s easy to forget that the last time Gerhart had a chance to be an every down force, he was a headline stealer. Like Peterson, he is a former Heisman Trophy runner-up, completing his senior season at Stanford in 2009 with 343 carries, 1,913 yards and 28 touchdowns.

In his best game, he gashed Oregon for 223 yards and three TDs on 38 rushes.

Last season? He had 50 carries for 169 yards. That in a year that began with everyone thinking he’d be a workhorse early as Peterson worked back from his torn ACL.

“I worked so hard all offseason preparing to be the guy,â€￾ Gerhart says. “I think everyone was expecting career highs for me in every category. It turned out to be the exact opposite.â€￾

Lost in the celebration of the superstar’s amazing recovery was the anxiety of the forgotten man. Gerhart’s impatience peaked in Week 3 when he lost two fumbles in a minute-and-a-half when called on to close out a 24-13 upset of San Francisco.

“That was a byproduct of being a frustrated runner,â€￾ Gerhart says. “No way around it. In that four-minute situation, we’re taught to get what we can and shoot down to the ground. Don’t try to make a play. For me, I was getting my first carries in a while so I was trying to make something happen. . That was my nightmare game.â€￾

Gerhart always has accepted his role with Vikings coach Leslie Frazier labeling his No. 2 running back “a class guy,â€￾ “the ultimate team player,â€￾ and “one of those guys you’ll always pull for.â€￾

Still, the raw numbers sometimes annoy Gerhart.

At Indianapolis: Five carries, 15 yards. Chicago: Three carries, 17 yards. At Houston: Eight for 31.

So often he’s called on as a situational sub, encouraged to get a just a few small chunks. He knows he’s a back who gets better as his workload increases, bright enough to solve defenses, rugged enough to wear down tacklers.

Gerhart chuckles thinking about the rough first quarter Peterson had in St. Louis last December. Eight rushes for 8 yards. Then came an 82-yard touchdown burst.

“Now he’s averaging 10 yards per carry and everything’s great,â€￾ Gerhart says. “For me, sometimes it’s two carries. You get the zero and the two. And that’s it.

“I hear it all the time from my buddies. ’Stinks you only got two carries. But hey you’re backing up Adrian Peterson.’ Like it’s some sort of awesome consolation prize just because it’s Adrian.â€￾

No wonder Gerhart’s dad, Todd, always has his cell phone ready, the one outlet Toby can always turn to for reassurance. More often than not, though, it’s a son persuading his dad that all will ultimately be OK.

“It’s funny,â€￾ Todd says. “He sells it to me. ’My time will come. I’ll get my shot.’ I just listen. He’s telling it to me, I think, for his own psychotherapy.â€￾

When the disenchantment rises, Gerhart reminds himself of the thousands of players who had similar NFL dreams but never stuck around this long. He counts his blessings that he’s healthy and able to work daily with the best player on the planet.

Naturally, he’ll peek around the league.

“Seems like everybody’s going to a two-back system but us,â€￾ he says. “But with the guy we have, it’s hard to go to a two-back share.â€￾

Gerhart will never say so in advance. But when his rookie contract expires next March, he’s certain to go on a job hunt. Like Felton in 2012. Restless, eager, seeking opportunity.

“Eventually his day is going to come,â€￾ Frazier says. “And he’s going to shine. He’s a very good back. But part of our existence as an NFL player is understanding the role and accepting that role.â€￾

http://www.winonadailynews.com/sports/pro/article_7e17b820-fd87-11e2-8fdc-0019bb2963f4.html

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Great article and I'm glad he is mad. He knows he has to sit most of the time and that pisses him off. That is how it should be. Not him sitting but him being like a caged animal ready to break lose. Four years is a long time to waste especially for a running back where speed is a big part of the game. Hopefully if nothing else he will have fresh legs and demand to go to a team next year in free agency where he can start or at the least get 50% of the time to run the ball. It's such a shame that the best rb prospect we have had since Luke Staley has had to ride the bench almost his whole nfl career so far. One more year. Hang in there Toby.

As I wrote in a previous thread, unless Toby Gerhart changes teams in 2013, he will have little to show for the four prime years of his career.

Old Scratch

Mentor
Gerhart chuckles thinking about the rough first quarter Peterson had in St. Louis last December. Eight rushes for 8 yards. Then came an 82-yard touchdown burst.

“Now he’s averaging 10 yards per carry and everything’s great,â€￾ Gerhart says. “For me, sometimes it’s two carries. You get the zero and the two. And that’s it.

This is the big one, he doesn't get a chance to get into a rhythm or break out a long one like he's capable of with just a couple crappy runs per game. You see it all the time where Peterson and other top backs struggle but they keep feeding them the ball and eventually they get a long run that significantly raises their average per carry, but the moron "fans" look at the stat lines and see Gerhart running maybe 2 carries for 5 yards and say he sucks because Adrian Peterson went 20 carries for 100+ yards even though he had several that went for a couple yards or less, even negative yardage. Same thing happened with Woodhead, Patriots would give a couple of runs usually up the gut and the dumb Patriot fans said he sucked because the other backs were getting better average they don't see that it was because they kept feeding them the ball until they broke off for a good chunk of yardage, and actually tried to design plays to help them succeed.

Wes Woodhead

Mentor
This is the big one, he doesn't get a chance to get into a rhythm or break out a long one like he's capable of with just a couple crappy runs per game. You see it all the time where Peterson and other top backs struggle but they keep feeding them the ball and eventually they get a long run that significantly raises their average per carry, but the moron "fans" look at the stat lines and see Gerhart running maybe 2 carries for 5 yards and say he sucks because Adrian Peterson went 20 carries for 100+ yards even though he had several that went for a couple yards or less, even negative yardage. Same thing happened with Woodhead, Patriots would give a couple of runs usually up the gut and the dumb Patriot fans said he sucked because the other backs were getting better average they don't see that it was because they kept feeding them the ball until they broke off for a good chunk of yardage, and actually tried to design plays to help them succeed.

You nailed it Scratch. Its as if these white backs are having their YPC sabotaged. The Woodhead situation last year is not explainable. Any attempt to try and explain what the coaches were thinking is totally unreasonable. Im convinced that all the damn handoffs up the centers butt were specifically designed to ruin his YPC. They were actually TRYING to make him look bad. It caused them to lose out in the long run.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This makes a lot of sense so it probably won't happen. Ryan Grigson, who took over as GM last year, seems to be an orthodox Caste-ite.

Indianapolis Colts Should Look Into Trading for Vikings RB Toby Gerhart

by Ernie Padaon

The Indianapolis Colts lost their starting running back for the season when Vick Ballard went down in practice today with a knee injury. The Colts do have Ahmad Bradshaw already on the roster, but Colts owner Jim Irsay tweeted out that the team will be looking to make a trade before the deadline comes up for a running back.

One running back that they could keep their eyes toward is Minnesota Vikings RB Toby Gerhart. Gerhart is in the last year of his deal with the Vikings and he will barely see the field with Adrian Peterson taking all the carries for the Vikings. The Vikings would likely love to pick up an additional draft pick for a player that they are not going to have beyond this season. Gerhart would then get an opportunity to get some playing time, splitting carries with Ahmad Bradshaw. He would also have a Stanford reunion with QB Andrew Luck. The trade would make a ton of sense. The question would be what is Gerhart’s value at this time?

What would the Colts be willing to give up to pick up Gerhart?

http://nflspinzone.com/2013/09/14/indianapolis-colts-look-trading-vikings-rb-toby-gerhart/

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Man would this be incredible if it happened! Yes that is a big if but I can hope can't I? Indy was one of the two or three teams I was hoping would draft him in the first place. To see him and Luck playing together again would be a breath of fresh air. Come on Indianapolis. Make this trade happen! This would be awesome. Then go get a few more receivers that are Stokely types with great hands and speed.

backrow

Hall of Famer
This makes a lot of sense so it probably won't happen. Ryan Grigson, who took over as GM last year, seems to be an orthodox Caste-ite.

Indianapolis Colts Should Look Into Trading for Vikings RB Toby Gerhart

by Ernie Padaon

The Indianapolis Colts lost their starting running back for the season when Vick Ballard went down in practice today with a knee injury. The Colts do have Ahmad Bradshaw already on the roster, but Colts owner Jim Irsay tweeted out that the team will be looking to make a trade before the deadline comes up for a running back.

One running back that they could keep their eyes toward is Minnesota Vikings RB Toby Gerhart. Gerhart is in the last year of his deal with the Vikings and he will barely see the field with Adrian Peterson taking all the carries for the Vikings. The Vikings would likely love to pick up an additional draft pick for a player that they are not going to have beyond this season. Gerhart would then get an opportunity to get some playing time, splitting carries with Ahmad Bradshaw. He would also have a Stanford reunion with QB Andrew Luck. The trade would make a ton of sense. The question would be what is Gerhart’s value at this time?

What would the Colts be willing to give up to pick up Gerhart?

http://nflspinzone.com/2013/09/14/indianapolis-colts-look-trading-vikings-rb-toby-gerhart/

DAMN! apparently it could have happened!

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Lions "quickly rebuffed" trade overtures from the Colts last week regarding Mikel Leshoure.

Leshoure has been a healthy scratch for each of Detroit's first three games. Colts GM Ryan Grigson reportedly also called the Vikings about Toby Gerhart before settling on sending a first-round pick to the Browns for Trent Richardson. It's interesting that the Lions were opposed to dealing Leshoure. Perhaps they'll change their minds when Reggie Bush's knee is back to 100 percent.

seattlefan

Guru
I wonder what MIN wanted from IND in exchange for Gerhart? Part of me thinks they are keeping him on the Vikes on purpose..

dwid

Hall of Famer
Apparently there is a rumour that Mark Ingram wants a trade because he wants more touches, a few sources, and Saints fans want to get rid of him but don't think he has any value. Watch him wind up on some team needing a rb rather than Gerhart, after all, he did steal THE Heisman away from him as well. He was inactive today with a toe injury.

Kaptain

Master
So our thoughts on Luck wanting Toby have somewhat been verified now from a fantasy site

"Gerhart had two receptions for 14 yards in Sunday's loss to Cleveland but didn't have a carry. Indianapolis was interested in trading for Gerhart before acquiring Trent Richardson, CBSSports.com reports."

Everyone was shocked at the Richardson trade that apparently has kept Gerhart on the bench indefinetly.

Everyone was shocked at the Peyton Manning trade that has now apparently ended Tim Tebow's football career.

Everyone was shocked at Mike Shanahan being fired and leading to the hiring of a new head coach who immediately jerked Peyton Hillis out of the starting spot he earned with Shanahan.

Are these shocking moves mere coincidences?

Last edited:

Wes Woodhead

Mentor

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
These, among other similar moves cant be mere coincidences.

Considering the severe caste mentality of the NFL these moves are not coincidences, or conspiracy, they are business as usual. You could name a hundred other anti-White moves and it would still be due to the same thing, the NFL CASTE SYSTEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.