Tiger wins British Open

White_Savage

Mentor
If inborn talent is NOT genetic, then what is it fistfighter? Barring genetics, ability must be, as I asserted in regards to Woods, the result of enviroment, culture, training, and thus cannot accurately be called "inborn" at all. You cannot deny this. I must say, I originally thought you were just annoying, but it seems that my teases about the general ******* in-ability in using logic were in fact right on the money in your regard.

Your remarks about the 1930s amuse me...Since that time, science has not discredited genetics, we have discovered TONS of evidence for the genetic basis of many abilities, behaviors, and failings. That an Austrian paper-hanger had some dead-wrong ideas, like believing the white man would be genetically suited to outsprinting the black man, has nothing at all to do with the real evidence for the importance of genetics and race. Edited by: White_Savage

White_Savage

Mentor
"By your way of thinking every black guy is an NBA player and every white guyis a top wrestler"

Faux-fighter, if we're going to continue this, I'd appreciate it if you'd at least actually read my posts. I addressed the subject of the existence of exceptions at length, along with why such exceptions do not invalidate the average atributes of the races.

OTOH, I appreciate the fact you realize whites tend to produce great grapplers, which is at least stereotype of whites that is both positive and contains some truth. As opposed to the mass-media/pop culture belief, "whites are slow and weak and stupid and bad at everything, etc". Your time on this site has done you a little good, it seems.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I'll bring this old thread back to life one day before it was going to disappear from the board after a year of inactivity. The Caste System'sMessiah had a hot round today, but the good news is that Ernie Els, Adam Scott, Chris DiMarco and a few other capable players are still right in his rearview mirror. The Els-Woods matchup for the third round should be interesting. I'm hoping for bad weather because it seems to throw Woods off his game. In '02 he shot a third round 81 in rain and wind. Els won that year.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Nice to see Els close on Tiger. Until he did the media had already awarded Tiger the win. I like Els chasing Tiger. Most white American golfers have wilted like pansies when Tiger takes a second round lead. Now a South African is hunting him and I hope with more balls then the rest of the tour regulars.

SeaJim

Guru
jaxvid said:
Nice to see Els close on Tiger. Until he did the media had already awarded Tiger the win. I like Els chasing Tiger. Most white American golfers have wilted like pansies when Tiger takes a second round lead. Now a South African is hunting him and I hope with more balls then the rest of the tour regulars.

Els, Garcia, DiMarco, & Furyk all surrounding Tiger for the kill. Who will it be...? I am rooting for DiMarco. One more round to go...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
DiMarco would probably be the best story because of his mother suddenly dying a few weeks ago, but any of the non-Messiahs near the top winning would be great. What a leader board!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Woods had a game plan for this Open and executed it almost to perfection. Give credit where credit is due. It won't change the fact that blacks are non-existent in the ranks of professional golfers despite how popular the sport is among them. It merely adds evidence to the conclusion that while Tiger's father may have been his coach and guiding inspiration,it wasmommasan's genes that most contributed to his golfing abilities.

bigunreal

Mentor
I am almost to the point where I'm ready to proclaim that golf is fixed, too. This is just getting ridiculous; Tiger hits every fairway and every green. The other players are constantly in and out of trouble, but somehow he, and he alone, can master these courses. They are fond of spouting off every stat they can about how dominant Woods has been, and they came up with a few good ones today. He is now 11 for 11 when at least having a share of the lead after 54 holes. Sorry, but that's unprecedented. Even Nicklaus blew many winnable majors. One of the least known stats about Nicklaus is that he finished second in majors over 20 times. At least Woods will never break that record. The other, more telling stat is that the players playing with him in final rounds of those majors have averaged an aggregate score of nearly 71. You can see those white golfers wilt in the presence of the magnificant Tiger. Garcia's performance today was atrocious. He should quit if that's the way he handles pressure. Only DiMarco showed any will to win, but every time he made a move Tiger responded instantly, so he gained no ground on him. 16 under par ought to win any major. I felt bad for him.

Sorry to bring my "fixed" theories into this thread, but it just seems too good to be true for the establishment that has promoted this guy to the breaking point; Tiger finally misses the cut at a major, and his main challenger appears a cinch to win his 3rd straight major, but instead Mickelson has an unbelievable collapse and the media's darling dedicates himself, "works" and "prepares" harder than any of the mere white men and proceeds to destroy the field in the British Open. That's quite a turnaround; from the point where even our media was going to have to acknowledge that there were now two top golfers (Woods and Mickelson) to where there is no dispute about who is number 1. What's even more important than Woods winning majors constantly is the fact that his main competitors seem unable to win more than a few each. Els has been close numerous times, and if he'd won even half of those, he'd be right there with Woods. Same thing with Mickelson and Singh (who is not white, but has no African in him, so is not beloved by the media). What happened to guys like Justin Leonard and David Duval, who were once thought to be on the verge of greatness? I know it's impossible to conceive of how golf would be fixed, but I just can't accept that one man (who just happens to be the most culturally beloved figure in Don King's America) is able to do things that none of his fellow golfers can. The best golfers in modern history (Nicklaus, Player, Watson, Palmer, Trevino, Ballesteros, Faldo, etc.) were flawed and inconsistent, coming close in majors numerous times. They certainly missed a lot of fairways and greens in the majors. They also didn't have the luxury that Woods has- everyone who has a chance to compete with him in the final round of a major tends to choke and wilt completely under the pressure. If golf is not fixed, then the performance of Woods and his main competitors is a testament to just how well the propaganda and brainwashing has worked on the public over the last generation. You can see the total confidence in Tiger Woods, imbued by a lifetime of watching nonwhites defeat whites in every conceivable situation, and you can see just as clearly the fear and hesitation on the faces of even the best white golfers when they are competing directly with him.

Poacher

Mentor
No one should be able to go 16 under par in a major. That is ridiculous. Par should be difficult to obtain. Woods seems to do better on wide open courses. When you narrow the fairway and speed up the greens he's average.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Do any of you actually follow the event day to day? How often do the officials have to intervene on the lie of a ball, or an obstruction, things like that. I recall reading something about the officials trying to remove a sign post from the field of play so Woods wouldn't have to bend a shot around the post, but were unable. Were they allowed to attempt to move it because it was a 'man-made' obstruction?

I was told that, in another tournament, Wood's ball was directly up against a boulder. Two fans came on the course and moved it for him, which brought about a rule change that a player must remove an obstruction himself, unaided. Has anyone heard of this before?

I can see where the officials could easily influence a golf game by giving some players the benefit of a drop or lie, although from what I understand of the game the rules are pretty cut and dried.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There was a head-shaker of a ruling a few years ago at a tourament (it was the Phoenix Open or one of the desert events) where a boulder that was deliberately placed in the middle of the fairway to be an impediment was moved because it blocked Tiger's shot. Hmmm.

Woods has been extremely lucky in that he comes out of so many of his wayward tee shots into the woods with a playable lie and open shot to the green, either through luck (there is a clear opening to hit through), or because he utilizes the rules to the maximum as far as lies and drops, an uncanny number of which leave him with a shot to the green.

Every move by the players and officials is closely scrutinized and is often caught by the ever present television eye as well. What I hear more of is player grumbling that Woods always gets the better tee times for the first two rounds -- if the weather is expected to be worse in the morning he routinely tees off in the afternoon and vice versa. Sergio Garcia complained about it after the second round of the Open this week.

And yes, I do try to watch all four rounds of each of the golf majors when I can. Personal and business matters don't often allow for it, but I was able to watch at least 75% of this week's event. My impression is that Tiger made a rather daring game plan of not using his driver but rathermostly long irons and the occasionalthree wood in order to hit short but accurate tee shots onto the fairway in order to avoid the punitive bunkers that British Open courses always have, and the many out of bounds that were fairly close to the fairways. He was often hitting well short of his opponents, something new for him.

In order for his strategyto work, Woods had to be very accurate with his long iron shots, which were often 200 yards in length, compared to theusual pitching wedge onto the green that the bombers are used to after blasting driver.

Woods was extremely good at getting his long iron shots on the green, but usually far away from the pin, leaving lag putts. His lagging is what really won him the tournament imo. His pace was superb time and again. Rarely did he have a difficult follow up putt. He did miss a few short putts in the third round, but other than that his putting was extremely strong. I have criticized him in the past as being an over-rated putter except on must-make par putts, but he really was outstanding in this tournament.

So he had a game plan for an unfamiliar course, and carried it out beautifully. As a golf fan I can appreciate this as an admirable win by a great golfer who did it without ever using his length off the tee. We all know that the media overkill is extreme and very hard to take, but Woods did show the stuff of a great champion this week.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Belies the notion that he only wins by outdriving his opponents, too.

I tend to dislike those the media fawns over too much, and Woods of course falls in that category. But I wonder how much I'd mind it if they played up his Asian ancestry instead of his black?

Outright prejudice on my part, some would say.
smiley36.gif

bigunreal

Mentor
I know what you mean, Shogun- I might feel differently, too, if they ever mentioned he was half Asian. Now that his father is gone, wouldn't it be nice if his mother ever appeared at one of these big events to give her son a nice hug for the cameras? I'm so jaded I think the cameras would actually avoid filming that. Would kind of spoil the effect they have been working so hard to achieve.

As for Tiger's strategy of not using a driver, I give him credit for that. However (and here's where my paranoia creeps in), once that strategy had appeared so successful (say after the first two rounds), why didn't any of the other golfers try to copy it? You mean to tell me that none of those guys can hit a long iron onto a green? They were missing fairways with drivers and 3-woods, and missing greens with their short irons, so what did they have to lose by trying something that was working so well for the guy everyone thinks is the best?

Solomon Kane

Mentor
Great Posts all, especially DW! I was on vacation and driving a lot, but I watched some of the tournament, and listened to the commentary afterward. Woody Paige stressed the dryness of the ground which allowed Tiger to use accurate iron tee shots with a decent amount of extra roll. Also, the lack of wind. Combine these with Tiger's Hoganesque shotmaking skills, and his good putting and you have victory. I hope the PGA course makes him use his woods, and that he gets his quota of slices into the rough! Where are they playing that this year?

Although the result was depressing, we have to admit it, he's a great golfer, a real machine, the most driven and obsessively focussed individual in sports today. Here is a guy who from childhood single mindedly set out to become the greatest golfer of all time, and he may yet achieve it. He has a samurai's ethic of discipline, practice, and the will to achieve complete mastery over one's emotions, tools and environment (maybe that's the Asian in him, I don't know).I sure hope he doesn't pass Nicklaus' major totals, but it's a definite possibility, especially as golfers' skills are retained well into their 40's.

And yes, as many of you have noted, for some reason, everybody else backs away from him when he's in the lead, like deferential courtiers in the presence of a king. They seem to feel that it's bad form to mount a challenge. Some pull the El Foldo, others shoot polite pars. The result is always the same. Whether it's because of the "intimidation factor" that the media is always talking about, or his iron self-control, or the fact that God is on his side, Tiger unflappably maintains his leads. Mickelson, Monty, Duval, should study his demeanor and approach and learn from it the next time they are in the lead. And when they're not in the lead, geez--at least make a charge! Hitch up your pants like old Arnie Palmer and let that Titleist fly right at the pin! You may wind up with a bogey and a lower paycheck, but you will feel a hell of a lot better.

Guys, I really miss Payne Stewart--his personality, heart, skill, and confidence. He may have lost to Tiger sometimes, but he was never intimidated by him. We all remember him, in his trademark antique cap and knickerbockers, after his winning putt at the Open, embracing Lefty and saying "You're going to be a Father Phil, a Father!" (Phil's wife was in the delivery room that day). He was a great guy! I wonder what the dynamic on the Tour would have been like over the last 6 years if he was still with us. RIP, Payne.

foreverfree

Mentor
How many majors did Nicklaus win where he was trailing after 54 holes? IIRC the 1986 Masters was one of them.

John

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Solomon Kane said:
And yes, as many of you have noted, for some reason, everybody else backs away from him when he's in the lead, like deferential courtiers in the presence of a king. They seem to feel that it's bad form to mount a challenge. Some pull the El Foldo, others shoot polite pars. The result is always the same.

Guys, I really miss Payne Stewart--his personality, heart, skill, and confidence. He may have lost to Tiger sometimes, but he was never intimidated by him. We all remember him, in his trademark antique cap and knickerbockers, after his winning putt at the Open, embracing Lefty and saying "You're going to be a Father Phil, a Father!" (Phil's wife was in the delivery room that day). He was a great guy! I wonder what the dynamic on the Tour would have been like over the last 6 years if he was still with us. RIP, Payne.

That's what makes Mickelson's blow-up on the last hole of the U.S. Open so deflating. He was reminiscent of Woods at the Masters, relentlessly and methodically playing the last round in a way that no one could catch him. Even thoughhis final margin of victory wasn't great, it seemed bigger because of the way he was playing.

Phil wasn't a factor at the British. The question is whether he can recapture the form that gave him two straight majors and very nearly a third, or if there will be lasting damage from his double bogey at Wingfoot that brought back memories of his Greg Normanesque past. Woods makes $100 million a year, but Mickelson and Els are probably close to the $40 million per mark. Can anyone making that kind of money match Woods' desire and mindset? Phil being about 30 pounds overweight is not reassuring in that regard. There's no question but that the big time money in sports makes it tougher for successful athletes to keep the kind of raw intensity that motivated white athletes in the past, who often were immigrants or who grew up in tough economic circumstances.

Payne Stewart was a unique presence on the tour. A bulldog mindset and a real individual. He was also a proud Southerner, and I suspect, a proud white man. He would be too old now to still be a factor, but he is missed.

Poacher

Mentor
"Here is a guy who from childhood single mindedly set out to become the greatest golfer of all time, and he may yet achieve it."

Edited by: Poacher

G

Poacher said:
...actually he, like barry bonds, doesn't give a damn about being the world's greatest anything he only cares about passing Nicklaus) is simply a manifestation of his father's anti-white hatred. Woods is a racist monster born of his dad's hate of the white world that never accepted him.

He is racist revenge personified and there is nothing noble or admirable about him.

smiley3.gif
I never read anything about Tiger's dad hating the white world. Kind of makes you wonder why he spent 20+ years as a special forces (overwhelmingly white) officer. Do you have any sources or are you just ranting?Edited by: Menelik

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Menelik said:
Kind of makes you wonder why he spent 20+ years as a special forces (overwhelmingly white) officer.

Where else would he get to boss around large groups of powerful white men? Sounds like the ideal job for a racist black man.
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif

Just kidding. But here are a few links about Earl Wood's racist comments:

Salon.com article

The Observer

These articles mention Earl Woods' negative comments about Scotland, and his quote that Tiger Woods would be bigger than Nelson Mandela. Not exactly 'racist,' but not something that a white man could get away with in similar context.

On the other hand, Earl Woods' defended Fuzzy Zoeller and said he took a bum rap for his joke about the Open having to serve chicken and collard greens if Tiger won. Woods also said in a GoldDigest.com interview that he didn't think there was that much racism on the tour, much to the chagrin and surprise of the writer, I'm sure.

I don't know if the man is racist, and it really doesn't matter. What I object to is the double standard that permits black athletes and celebrities to joke about whites, but not the reverse. Being labeled a racist these days makes you worse than a rapist or murderer, which is ridiculous.

G

White Shogun said:
I don't know if the man is racist, and it really doesn't matter. What I object to is the double standard that permits black athletes and celebrities to joke about whites, but not the reverse. Being labeled a racist these days makes you worse than a rapist or murderer, which is ridiculous.

I also object to double standards which I think are worser then racism. I wasn't trying to defend Tiger though...call me old fashioned; I just don't like to see, or hear, people speaking ill of the dead.

Poacher

Mentor
"I never read anything about Tiger's dad hating the white world. Kind of makes you wonder why he spent 20+ years as a special forces (overwhelmingly white) officer. Do you have any sources or are you just ranting?"

Ranting a little I guess. But like Vader told Luke: "Search your feelings you know it to be true."

Edited by: Poacher

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Poacher said:
As far as Earl Woods is concerned...did you know Tiger has siblings? Three of them. Earl basically (in the words of Rick Reilly) took a mulligan on all of them while lavishing all of his attention on Tiger. Nice.

I didn't know that. I wonder if Tiger is supporting them all now that his is a multi-millionaire.

Bart

Hall of Famer
While looking for info on Woods siblings I came across his ethnic makeup. It would be more accurate to describe him as an Asian golfer. He's only 25% black!

Woods's father, Earl Woods, was a Vietnam War veteran and a retired U.S. Army lieutenant colonel, of mixed black (50 percent), Chinese (25 percent) and Native American (25 percent) ancestry. He was the chairman of his son's charitable foundation, the Tiger Woods Foundation, before his death at age 74 on May 3, 2006, following a lengthy battle with prostate cancer (see section charity and youth projects below). Woods' mother, Kultida Woods, is originally from Thailand, and is of mixed Thai (50 percent), Chinese (25 percent), and Dutch (25 percent) ancestry. This makes Woods himself one-quarter Chinese, one-quarter Thai, one-quarter black, one-eighth Native American, and one-eighth Dutch.<SUP =reference id=_ref-2>[3]</SUP> He refers to his ethnic make-up as Cablinasian (a portmanteau of Caucasian, Black, American-Indian, and Asian), a term he made up himself.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
People are so brainwashed that in spite of the large amount of Asians who are pro golfers, and in spite of there being no black pro golfers other than quadroon Woods, they still attribute 100% of Tiger's success to his 25% Negro genes.