The state of Caucasian WRs.

Is the recent success of Caucasian WRs a pattern or a fluke? Neither?

• Pattern

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fluke

• Potenial-pattern (Will Young Guns rise?)

• Neither: History repeating

• Total voters

The Duke

The Eagles are interested in Jurevicius according to The Sporting News. Someone posted that in another thread here. I haven't heard of any other teams being interested, but given that he's white and a "journeyman" the media doesn't care who might be interested.

JD074

Master
whiteCB said:
I totally agree JD074. Guys like Kevin Walter aren't going to do anything to break the caste system but people like Matt Jones and Kevin Curtis can definitly help.

Possibly. Hopefully. But they're not consistent starters yet. I hope they can break through, but it's not definite at this point.

It's sad. Just think of all the talent they possess, and we don't know if they'll ever start. There's no doubt that any black player as talented as Jones or Curtis would have a red carpet rolled out for him. This is the essence of the Caste System.

The Duke

A lot of football players don't commit crimes, but intelligence doesn't seem to matter much when it comes to the draft. The NFL's anti-white preferences are very entrenched and there's no indication that it will be changing any time soon.

Speaking of intelligence:

Brady, Griese, Steve Young, John Elway are apparently pretty bright guys. Akili Smith is smart but he's out of the league.

Wonderlic Test Famous Scores

Pat McInally, a wide receiver/punter from Harvard who played for the Cincinnati Bengals from 1977 to 1985 is the only player known to have scored a perfect 50. In 2005 it was rumored that Ryan Fitzpatrick, a quarterback also from Harvard, scored a perfect 50 but his actual accomplishment was to finish the test in 9 minutes with a score of 38 â€â€￾ the most impressive speed ever seen at the NFL Combine. Fitzpatrick was drafted in 2005 by the St. Louis Rams â€â€￾ referenced in The Wall Street Journal (September 30, 2005) as the NFL's Smartest Team. The scores of successful (and not-so-successful) quarterbacks range widely:

Brian Griese - 39
Akili Smith - 37
Tom Brady - 33
Steve Young - 33
John Elway - 30
Brett Favre - 22
Dan Marino - 16
Jeff George - 10

I bet Peyton Manning did well. Barry Sanders is bright too. And Isiah Kacyvenski and Matt Birk both of Harvard? Jay Fiedler of Columbia? Sean Morey of Brown? I wonder what Terry Bradshaw got? 5? 6? I can only imagine he fooled us all and got a 49!! What about Ray go-kill-your-wife-and-hide-in-the-trunk Caruth? Or Maurice "Shooter" Clarett? I am sure they are all geniuses in their own mind....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WonderlicEdited by: hollywoodnorth

Bart

Hall of Famer
hollywoodnorth said:
Speaking of intelligence:

Akili Smith is smart but he's out of the league.

Akili Smith's Wonderlic score is suspect. Many stories have been written about this.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jul03/158713.asp?format= print

At 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds, Smith most certainly has the physical gifts to play in the NFL. He can make all the throws, and with speed in the 4.65 range, he is elusive.

But Smith has always struggled with the mental side of things, his toughness in the pocket has been questioned and his work ethic has never been good.

In fact, Smith has been suspected of taking shortcuts ever since he took the Wonderlic test before the 1999 draft. After scoring 15 out of 50 on his first try, Smith's score ballooned to 37 on his second attempt.

Smith credited the jump to his work with a tutor out of San Diego before the second test. NFL scouts suspected Smith cheated off teammate Jason Maas, who scored 43 that year.

"I got with a doctor and we studied on some of the questions that might be on the test," Smith said last week. "That's all it was."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/1999/nfldraft/ news/1999/04/16/king_10things/

I think Indy GM Bill Polian is right. "The whole information-gathering process before the draft has been ruined,'' he says. Case in point: Akili Smith, the Oregon quarterback, took the NFL's intelligence test, the Wonderlic, last fall and scored a 13 out of 50. He got tutored for a night and then, according to Smith, he studied in the school library with the Oregon backup quarterback, Jason Maas, for a different version of the Wonderlic. On the second Wonderlic, Smith got a 37. When the Chicago Tribune asked the Wonderlic company about a rise from 13 to 37, the firm said, basically, that this was impossible, that you can't study for the Wonderlic. So I did a little research on the Wonderlic scores of the 309 players who attended the scouting combine where Smith re-took the test. And guess what? Maas, who scored a 17 last spring, got the highest score of any of the 309 test-takers. He got a 43, which is borderline genius. Only four players scored higher than Smith.
4. I think you can tell I'm a little skeptical that Smith's and Maas's scores are on the level.

devans

Mentor
Does anyone know what is happening with Derek Abney?