The Beatles

jcolec02

Mentor
I just watched "A hard day's night" on t.v. and I must say, I did'nt know how much I like The Beatles until I saw this movie, I'm 23 years old, and im wondering what some of the older generation on this site thinks of The Beatles...
Edited by: jcolec02

jcolec02

Mentor
The Beatles - If I Fellhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4ei47bK_zsEdited by: jcolec02

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I am not much older than you but I respect the Beatles. It isn't really my kind of music but they were very talented. Some groups I like are The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Nirvana, Guns and Roses, and alot of techno.

jcolec02

Mentor
My favorite would have to be Pink Floyd, followed by Led Zeppelin and Nirvana

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
What are y'all doing listening to a bunch of homos?
smiley45.gif

</span>

Bronk

Mentor
Well, I was about three years old when the Beatles broke big in the USA. I remember driving to church one Sunday morning with my family back in 1970 and hearing that they had broken up. They were a HUGE influence, not just musically but in fashion as well. Look at the hair styles in a high school or college yearbook from 1963-64 and compare them to the hair styles of 1965-66. Crewcuts were gone and, though not long, guys were wearing their hair down.

Personally, I like the old, raw, blues-based Beatles sound of the early years than the later-psychadelic crappola.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33, I'm just taking off on jaxvid's "all musicians are homos" quip from this morning. Now settle down and go back to reading profiles.
smiley2.gif

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
The Beatles are one of my favorite bands. A lot better and more talented than the (c)rap there is today.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
I am not much older than you but I respect the Beatles. It isn't really my kind of music but they were very talented. Some groups I like are The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Nirvana, Guns and Roses, and alot of techno.

All of these groups are gay!!!

jcolec02 said:
I just watched "A hard day's night" on t.v. and I must say, I did'nt know how much I like The Beatles until I saw this movie, I'm 23 years old, and im wondering what some of the older generation on this site thinks of The Beatles...
were they jews??

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
whiteathlete33 said:

All of these groups are gay!!!

They sure are!!!!!!!!!!!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
LOL...funny stuff. I'm never been a Beatles fan, but they were talented. I prefer traditional country, bluegrass, southern rock & metal (in the gym, etc.).

white is right

Hall of Famer
lost said:
jcolec02 said:
were they jews??
Ringo Starr is or is partially Jewish. Lennon and McCartney are Scousers(Irish heritage born in England)and Harrison is English.

The beatles were not gay, but their manager was.

GWTJ

Mentor
Jcole02, historically and culturally, the Beatles are the #1 band of all time. Musically, the Beatles are also the #1 band of all time.

The Lennon-McCartney songwriting team is the #1 team of all time. The Beatles catalogue of songs is by far the most valued of all time.

In a thousand years, the Beatles will be the only band remembered from the 20th century. They have Mozart, Beethoven type longevity.

The Beatles style isn't for everybody, but, as one producer said when asked about them, 'bottom line, they made the best music'.

jcolec02

Mentor
GWTJ said:
Jcole02, historically and culturally, the Beatles are the #1 band of all time. Musically, the Beatles are also the #1 band of all time.

The Lennon-McCartney songwriting team is the #1 team of all time. The Beatles catalogue of songs is by far the most valued of all time.

In a thousand years, the Beatles will be the only band remembered from the 20th century. They have Mozart, Beethoven type longevity.

The Beatles style isn't for everybody, but, as one producer said when asked about them, 'bottom line, they made the best music'.
What about Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd? Won't they be remembered?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The thing about the Beatles that is most relevant to me is how unbelievably popular they were. There's been nothing else like it in my lifetime and I doubt there ever will be again under the present system, at least that kind of popularity and worship of a group of white men. Young white girls went bonkers over the Beatles in way that was almost scary in how primal it was. They would literally do nothing but stand and scream as loud as they could the entire time the Beatles were playing. Often they fainted; some even peed themselves in their unrestrained excitement. It was something that had to be lived through to be understood. Probably the closest examples prior to the Beatles would be Frank Sinatra, and possibly Elvis Presley.

I believe the Beatles, wittingly or unwittingly, most likely the latter, played an extremely important role in the unveiling and promotion of the permanent Cultural Marxist Revolutionin the United States. Their appearances on the Ed Sullivan Show in early 1964 went a long way in having the country snap out of its collective grief over the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and marked the beginning of the promotion of the radical counterculture by the media that then grew rapidly in size and strength.

The Beatles moptop hairdos look quaint now, but were considered radical in 1963 and '64. Boys and men simply didn't have long hair, and if they did they were ridiculed and worse. The lines of demarcation of what was acceptable behavior and appearances for both boys and girls used to be very clear and strict. The Beatles were in the forefront of breaking all that down. Within a few years, they had very long hair and were writing LSD-influenced music, which was in sync with the counterculture as it went into the full-blown nihilistic mode most people associate with it now. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" had become "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" (an almost explicit endorsement of LSD use).

This was all promoted from the top-down through foundation funding and the support of most (but not all) of the media and other institutions of control and persuasion. It's hard to say if the radical left counterculture would have beenas influential asit was without the Beatles. The top-down revolution that has destroyed European and Christian culture in the U.S. and throughout the West would have been implemented one way or another, but without the Beatles it surely would have unfolded differently than the way it did.Edited by: Don Wassall

"The Beatles were oozing with Negritude" -- Elridge Cleaver

guest301

Hall of Famer
I never liked the Beatles at all. Just look up the lyrics to that idiotic song "Imagine" and you see why from a christian perspective I really never had any respect for that group not to mention all the things Wassall pointed out in his post. They had a few catchy tunes but I will take Skynnard or Zepellin any day over those hippies.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I liked all of their earlier songs, like She Loves You, and I want to Hold Your Hand. I didn't really like the later, hippie type stuff.

Bear Backer

Mentor
white is right said:
lost said:
jcolec02 said:
were they jews??
Ringo Starr is or is partially Jewish. Lennon and McCartney are Scousers(Irish heritage born in England)and Harrison is English.

McCartney is really a Canadian imposter, the real Paul is dead.
smiley36.gif

GWTJ

Mentor
[/QUOTE]What about Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd? Won't they be remembered?[/QUOTE]

Not likely. Fame is fleeting and very few names carry on after they're gone. There are plenty of great bands who made great music, but the lasting popularity of the Beatles is a one of a kind happening. Here is an example of the affect the Beatles still have on people today. Young or old.

Just today, I brought my car to the shop and while I was waiting for it they had a tv on showing some local early morning talk show. Emma Stone(who is only 20 years old) was promoting her new movie and was being interviewed. One of the first things the interviewer asked her was about her having dinner with Paul McCartney recently. Emma was giddy with excitment just recalling the experience and she said it was the greatest meeting of her life. This is a part of a magazine interview where she talks about meeting Sir Paul:

"Despite her lack of '80s bona fides, her musical memory hardly begins with the Ricky Martins of the world. She declares a recent outing "the greatest night in the history of history" Ã¢â‚¬" when asked why, her mouth spreads into a Cheshire grin.

"Because Woody Harrelson took Kat Dennings and I to Paul McCartney's house for dinner. That's the night I met Paul McCartney,"Â she says. The Beatles, it turns out, are her all-time favorite band, McCartney's "Blackbird"Â her all-time favorite song.

"I found out about two hours before â€" it was our last day of shooting on ‘Zombieland' â€" and everyone I called, I said, ‘Guess where I am going for dinner, and you cannot shoot high enough.' People were like, ‘Diane Keaton?' because she's my hero, and I'm like, ‘Keep shooting.' I mean, it's crazy, right?

"He made veggie burgers. Himself. Grilled ‘em. It was surreal. I felt like I was dreaming the whole time. He said the word ‘Liverpool,' and I was like, ‘Oh, my God, he said, "Liverpool!" That is so cool.' "Â

I have seen famous people, very famous people, stutter and stammer and be in awe of meeting a Beatle. The schoolgirl screams of the 60's have been replaced with the ultimate reverence and respect from the fans who grew up with them. And the kids are just as crazy about them as ever.

I want to comment on something Don said about the song 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'. The story that it is a song about LSD is one of the many negative myths surrounding Beatles songs. The song is not about LSD.

The song was written by John when his son, Julian, came home with a picture he drew in school. He told his dad it was a picture of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. John loved the imagery of the picture and said he wrote a song with that as the title and used the picture as his guide for the song.

When the hidden LSD was mentioned to him later(months after the album came out) he was as surprised as anyone and went looking through all his other songs to see if they spelled out anything. They didn't.

The current follow up to this story was just in the news. The girl Julian drew the picture about, Lucy, was a real girl in his class named Lucy O'Donnell. A couple of months ago Julian found out that she was struggling with Lupus. He gave her money and helped her as best he could but she passed away this past Monday of the disease.

Just as negative stories get told about other famous whites, The Beatles also were targets to be attacked. Most of the negative stories are pure fiction or greatly exaggerated.

Edited by: GWTJ

bigunreal

Mentor
Thanks, GWTJ, for explaining the myth about the LSD connection to "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds."

You had to be there to understand the unprecedented nature of "Beatle Mania." Even as a second grader, I was caught up in it, along with all my friends and classmates. Their impact on the culture, especially during the early days, cannot be underestimated. At one point, they had the TOP FIVE selling songs on the top forty list. No one had done anything remotely like that before, and no one ever will again.

As individuals, their legacy is mixed, imho. John Lennon was the true genius of the group, and I believe he will be remembered as one of the most important songwriters and musicians of the twentieth century. McCartney was a lightweight, in comparison. His reputation was tarnished by the awful slew of songs he recorded (all successful, of course) after the breakup of the Beatles (for instance, "Let Him In" and "Silly Love Songs"). George Harrison was underrated and undervalued in the group, and in my estimation produced the best, most memorable stuff as a solo artist. Ringo (definitely not a jew, by the way) played a kind of comic relief role. He was a passable drummer, but nothing more. I know that Pete Best must still be bitter about being replaced by Ringo, just as the group was about to burst upon the world stage.

I agree that much of the Beatles' later music was too tinged with drug references, and to be honest, I think it sounds badly dated now (kind of like watching "All In The Family" reruns). But their talent and cultural impact can't be denied. I also think their older stuff ("She Loves You," "Please, Please Me," etc.) holds up extremely well and still sounds fresh. By any standards, they have to be considered the greatest of all rock and roll bands. Edited by: bigunreal