The Beatles

guest301 said:
I never liked the Beatles at all. Just look up the lyrics to that idiotic song "Imagine" and you see why from a christian perspective I really never had any respect for that group not to mention all the things Wassall pointed out in his post. They had a few catchy tunes but I will take Skynnard or Zepellin any day over those hippies.

"Imagine" was Lennon solo, not the group. How, exactly, does a Christian reconcile Led Zepellin?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The way women acted at Beatles concerts was certainly not original. Elvis had them screaming, fainting, and going crazy for years before they arrived on the scene. Now, there were four of them and just one Elvis, plus the teen culture was ramped up much more in the 60s than in the 50s. The Beatles definitely got more of it than any other group. If you check out some live performances by other "invasion" groups of the day, you'll see the same behavior. The newness of the music and images of Elvis, the Beatles, and the Rolling Stones were compounded with other factors to produce that kind of behavior amongst young women. You really don't see that behavior anymore after 1967, and it is really rare in that year. That kind of stuff wasn't new anymore and other things were changing, so you didn't see women going crazy like that on a large scale anymore. This is something I've read about, observed in video clips, and heard in live audio recordings ever since I got into music around 1990.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Here is my all time top five pop/rock musical groups of all time:

1. Beatles
2. Led Zepplin
3. Rolling Stones
4. U2
5. The Who

Learn it, live it and love it......Got it!

guest301

Hall of Famer
GreatLakeState said:
guest301 said:
I never liked the Beatles at all. Just look up the lyrics to that idiotic song "Imagine" and you see why from a christian perspective I really never had any respect for that group not to mention all the things Wassall pointed out in his post. They had a few catchy tunes but I will take Skynnard or Zepellin any day over those hippies.

"Imagine" was Lennon solo, not the group. How, exactly, does a Christian reconcile Led Zepellin?

It's nice to hear from the one poster here with a multiple personality disorder. You never know what you are going to get from Great Lake State from one post to the next. I am not the only one who wonders why you are even here with your frequently intentionally annoying posts.
As far as the song "Imagine" goes, I know it was sung by Lennon but anything sung by John, Paul or any of the rest is all Beatles to me and boring but your correction is noted. As far as justifying Zeppelin as a Christian goes, I pick and choose the songs I listen too and in moderation and throw out the rest. Unless I want to live a hermit asthetic lifestyle, one could say just about everything in popular culture is bad from a Christian viewpoint but I am not a legalist. I know what I can handle and what I can't and with each Christian it is different. Not that I owed you any explanation but there you have it. Now take your man love for all things Michigan out of here.

Bronk

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
Young white girls went bonkers over the Beatles in way that was almost scary in how primal it was.  They would literally do nothing but stand and scream as loud as they could the entire time the Beatles were playing. Often they fainted; some even peed themselves in their unrestrained excitement.  It was something that had to be lived through to be understood.  Probably the closest examples prior to the Beatles would be Frank Sinatra, and possibly Elvis Presley.

Yeah, I've had this same experience with the ladies as well. But, not for the same reason.

smiley36.gif

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
jcolec02 said:
What about Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd? Won't they be remembered?

I think they will be remembered. I even think they may have more of a lasting power than the Beatles. For example, I love Zeppelin and Floyd and listen to them frequently. I rarely listen to any Beatles songs. All of my friends (20 something year olds) who enjoy rock music love Zeppelin and some Floyd. Beatles again not as much. Also, modern rock stations still play alot of Zep and Floyd but I never hear Beatles. So I can see younger generations enjoying these bands but the Beatles going out with the baby boomers.

Just my opinion and observations.

jcolec02

Mentor
Freethinker said:
jcolec02 said:

I think they will be remembered. I even think they may have more of a lasting power than the Beatles. For example, I love Zeppelin and Floyd and listen to them frequently. I rarely listen to any Beatles songs. All of my friends (20 something year olds) who enjoy rock music love Zeppelin and some Floyd. Beatles again not as much. Also, modern rock stations still play alot of Zep and Floyd but I never hear Beatles. So I can see younger generations enjoying these bands but the Beatles going out with the baby boomers.

To me, Pink Floyd's Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Time, Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here, along with Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven, and Over the Hills and Far Away are some of the, if not the greatest pieces of music in history

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
jcolec02 said:
Freethinker said:
jcolec02 said:

To me, Pink Floyd's Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Time, Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here, along with Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven, and Over the Hills and Far Away are some of the, if not the greatest pieces of music in history

I totally agree. Those songs are fantastic and some of my favs.
smiley4.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i've never cared for the Beatles. i'm comfortable with being a little bit unusual, though.
smiley2.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
i've never cared for the Beatles. i'm comfortable with being a little bit unusual, though.
smiley2.gif

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
<div></div>
<div>I believe the Beatles, wittingly or unwittingly, most likely the latter, played an extremely important role in the unveiling and promotion of the permanent Cultural Marxist Revolutionin the United States...
</div><div>
</div>
<div></div>
<div>...The top-down revolution that has destroyed European and Christian culture in the U.S. and throughout the West would have been implemented one way or another, but without the Beatles it surely would have unfolded differently than the way it did.</div>

Pretty much agree. The agenda was in the works with or without the Beatles. I believe the folk music scene of the time was already setting the stage. Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, and Peter, Paul and Mary are some of the people that come to mind. It's possible that the "revolution"Â￾ latched on to "Beatle Mania" and the wide avenue it opened up, and the Beatles latched on to it. Just as an aside, after meeting Bob Dylan, Lennon composed You've Got to Hide Your Love Away (great song) to sound like a Dylan song, so the story goes.

On the matter of who was the strength of the Beatles, Lennon or McCartney, I have leaned toward McCartney lately. After viewing who mainly composed what on this page, I give a very slight edge to Lennon in the early years and a very slight edge to McCartney in the latter days. Thereby making it a draw. I reserve the right to change my position at any time.
smiley1.gif

Who is the main composer of the Beatles' songs?
http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/VOLUME02/Beatlesongs.shtml

EDIT: Sorry men, the song believed to be influenced by Dylan is You've Got to Hide Your Love Away not Norwegian Wood.

Edited by: Quiet Speed