Texas 2009 Watch List

SteveB

Mentor
Here are some of the top white players, at caste positions, in Texas for 2009 (class of 2010). I will add players as they come to my attention:

Chad Moncure - S, Richmond Travis HS, 6'-1", 180 lbs, 4.49 40 time, 34" VJ, 4.28 shuttle. Dominated the Houston National Underclassmen Combine winning the Overall MVP. Has an offer from UTEP and interest from Iowa St, LSU, Okla St, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, North Texas, Rice, SMU, and TCU.

Louie Swope - CB, Austin Westlake HS, 5'-10", 161 lbs, 4.48 40 time. Younger brother of Ryan Swope (RB/WR going to Texas A&M), Louie has accepted an offer from SMU (at CB
smiley1.gif
) . He also was on the Westlake 4x100m relay team with his brother.

Landon Appling - RB, El Campo HS, Appling is one of the top rushers in the state with over 2,000 yds rushing in 2008 as an option QB. He is also one of the top centerfielders on the diamond in the state.

Sam Holl - S, Katy HS, 6'-1", 180 lbs. Holl was a big presence on the defense for 5A State Champs Katy HS. He has offers from Rice, Air Force, Colorado, North Texas, and Navy.

Jason Cormier - S, Lago Vista HS, 5'-11", 190 lbs, 4.5 40 time, 36" VJ. Cormier played RB and S last year and is an outstanding prospect for 2010. He will be playing in Max Emfinger's All American Bowl next year.

Mitch Villamez - RB/S, Hardin HS, Villamez has been one of the premier DBs in class 2A. He had 106 tackles and 6 INTs as a sophomore.

Daryn Alves - QB/RB, McKinney Boyd HS, 5'-8", 170 lbs. Alves recorded 2,643 yds and 32 TDs as a soph, and 1,268 yds and 14 TDs as a junior running QB. Look for him to have a great senior season.

Andrew Cole - RB/S, Friendswood HS, 6'-2", 190 lbs, 4.5 40 time, and an excellent 4.02 shuttle time. Cole (as I mentioned in a previous thread) switched from S (where he was All District as a Soph) to RB his junior year. He rushed for 1,150 yds, 10 TDs, and a 8.2 YPC his junior year. He is getting recruiting interest from Arizona, Colorado St, Houston, Iowa St, Stanford, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and SMU.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jaxon Shipley, Jordan's brother, gets favorable mention from ESPN. The article calls him Class of 2011, but then mentions that he had 63 receptions as a junior, which should make him Class of '10.

Youngster Shipley shines early

Class of 2011 wide receiver Jaxon Shipley (Brownwood, Texas) showed why he has created such a buzz among those that follow recruiting in the Lone Star State. The speedy, sure-handed receiver had an outstanding day during pool play for the Division II Fox Sports Southwest 7-on-7 State Championships, catching multiple passes and leading his team to a perfect record.

"We struggled in the first game [a 35-34 overtime win against Anahuac]," Shipley said. "We were up and then our defense let up a bit and let them back in."

In the next two games Brownwood defeated Rice Consolidated 27-8 and McGregor 39-27.

Jaxon Shipley is the younger brother of Texas receiver Jordan Shipley, who is the all-time leading receiver in Texas high school history and was a third-team All-American for the Longhorns last season.

Jaxon, who had 63 receptions during his junior season, camped at Texas this summer.

"Recruiting is always fun," he said. "I haven't really been hearing from many colleges, except I did camp at Texas this summer."

Shipley has excellent size, hands and speed. He competes in track and field for Brownwood and also was timed at 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash at his school during the spring.

Brownwood now moves into the championship bracket Friday morning.

"I think it should be a good run," Shipley said. "We don't know who we play yet, but I think we can do well. I think we can win it all."
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=4318605

SteveB

Mentor
Deadlift said:
SteveB,

I know you want to discuss skill players, but I have one question about a Southlake Carroll player.

Do you know how good Mason Hathaway is?

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=99735

He appears to be a little bit "under the radar" right now.

Like you said, my focus has been on skill players, so I am not familiar with him. I follow some of the top linemen in the Houston area where I live because I have the opportunity to watch them in person. Unless you can watch them in person, it really hard to evaluate the line positions.

SteveB

Mentor
Wide receiver Randy Knust of the Woodlands had a tremendous opening game this past weekend. He had 7 rec for 152 yds and 2 TDs. I overlooked Knust last season because of all of the great athletes on the Woodlands team, but he finished last season (Jr year) with 15 catches for 455 yds (30.3 ypc!!!) and 3 TDs. He is committed to Arizona St and his athleticism apparently grabbed the attention of SMU, Nebraska, Northwestern, and ASU. Over the summer, he ran an electronic timed 4.41 40, 3.95 shuttle, and had a 35 in. VJ. At 6'-3" and 190 lbs, Knust has all of the size, speed, and skills that coaches drool over.

Sam Holl, safety for #1 ranked Katy played a solid opening game as Katy went on to beat a Houston area perennial, mostly black, powerhouse program, North Shore. Katy ended North Shore's record 78 game regular season winning streak. During the summer, Holl committed to play next season with the Baylor Bears.

SteveB

Mentor
Sr QB, Jacob Poole of Houston Cy Falls has a career night and wins Houston Chronicle's Player of the Week. His stats: 14 completions on 18 attempts for 219 yds and 5 TDs. He also rushed 21 times for 190 yds and two more TDs.At 6'-1" and 200 lbs, he should be recruited as a WR, RB, QB, or Athlete.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/6594406.html
717478.jpg
Edited by: SteveB

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I hope you don't mind me adding a few athletes.

QB - Connor Wood http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Connor-Wood-74363

Verbaled to the Longhorns' over other big-time offers.

DB - Michael Schrang http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Michael-Schrang-85255;_ylt=AsE6VxdmCfe73O8eD2xzhmVHPZB4

Louisiana Tech verbal.

DB - Connor Nichols http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Connor-Nichols-96027

This is a West Louisiana athlete that verbaled to SMU.
Edited by: Deadlift

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
If anyone wants to see Luke Muncie in action, his team Klein Oak (TEXAS) will be playing Notre Dame Prep (CALIF) in about 30 minutes on FOX SPORTS.

SteveB

Mentor
It's halfway through the Texas high school regular season and here are the superlative white skill players so far this season:

Sam Holl, Sr. S, Katy - Holl has dominated on the defensive side of the ball for Katy. Leads the team in tackles. Is being nominated for the Houston Chronicle's midseason defensive MVP.

Joel Witwer, Jr. DB/WR, Huffman Hargrave - Newcomer Witwer is only a junior, but he is leading all of South Texas in INT (6), INT Ret Yds (205), INT Returns for TD (2), 2nd in receiving yds (597), and 1st in receiving TDs (9). The kid is a one man wrecking crew. He will be on many scouts radar screens after this season. Here is a little article on him.
http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2009/09/10/lake_houston_sentinel/sports/091009_joel_witwer.txt

Layton Dworaczyk, Sr RB, Blanco - Dworaczyk has dominated the lower 2A division competition for the last two years. This year he leads all of South Texas in Rushing TDs (17) and 3rd in Rushing Yds (1,152). Unfortunately, he plays in a small classification and will be lucky to get a scholarship.

Caleb Harmon, Sr RB, Pt Neches-Groves - After a mediocre junior season (which hurt his recruiting), Harmon has come on strong with 775 yds and 7 TDs so far this season. The new PNG head coach has really helped his game. He will probably have to walk on at a FBS school or play at a FCS school. Too bad, at 5'-10", 195 lbs with 4.5 speed, he is a protypical RB.

Landon Appling, Sr RB, El Campo - Appling is continuing where he left off last season with 509 rushing yds and 10 rushing TDs, also has 159 receiving yds, 1 receiving TD, and 2 INT on defense. Unfortunately, he will probably go the baseball route.

Jason Cormier, Sr RB/S, Lago Vista - Cormier has been tearing it up at RB and leads Central Texas with 944 yds, 10 TDs, and an amazing 12.9 ypc!!! Too bad he was the backup RB last year and didn't get a chance to shine when the scouts are paying attention. Here is a little article about his season, http://capstonereport.com/?p=3000

Tommy Avers, Sr RB, Southlake Carroll - Among the leading rushers in the DFW area with 701 yds, 8 TDs, and 9.3 ypc.

Sean Ballard, Sr WR/RB, Plano West - Ballard has burst onto the scene this season, winning the Dallas Morning News Offensive Player of the Week, with 517 all purpose yards last weekend, http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/highschools/leaderboard/v3/plano/west/stories/100509dnspohsoffensivepow.3f1b533.html. He is among the leaders in the DFW area in every offensive category, rushing yds (596, 12th), rushing TDs (13, tied for 2nd), receiving yds (412, 14th), receiving TDs (4, tied for 2nd), and offensive TDs (17, 1st). The 6'-0", 185 lb offensive juggernaut compares himself to Wes Welker.

SteveB

Mentor
There is a nice article in this morning's Houston Chronicle about the Matthews family and their football legacy.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/6682069.html

FOOTBALL'S FIRST FAMILY
The Matthews name has long been known in the NFL, but in the past few years it has become one of the most prominent names in Houston football. A look at the Matthews football legacy:

"¢ Clay Matthews (father of Bruce Matthews and Clay Matthews Jr.): He was taken in the 25th round of the 1949 NFL draft by the Los Angeles Rams after a college career at Georgia Tech.

"¢ Bruce Matthews (son of Clay Matthews): Bruce had a 19-year Hall of Fame NFL career as an offensive lineman for the Oilers and Tennessee Titans. He is an offensive line coach for the Texans.

"¢ Clay Matthews Jr. (son of Clay Matthews): Clay Jr. spent 19 years in the NFL, 16 with the Cleveland Browns (1978-1993) as a linebacker.

"¢ Kevin Matthews (son of Bruce Matthews): Kevin, a senior, is the starting center for Texas A&M.

"¢ Jake Matthews (son of Bruce Matthews): Jake is the starting left tackle at Elkins. He is the 11th-ranked senior tackle in the nation by Rivals.com.

"¢ Mikey Matthews (son of Bruce Matthews): Mikey, a sophomore, is the starting center at Elkins.

"¢ Clay Matthews III (son of Clay Matthews Jr.): Clay III is a linebacker for the Green Bay Packers. He was their first-round pick in the 2009 draft after a career at USC.

"¢ Kyle Matthews (son of Clay Matthews Jr.): Kyle lettered at USC as a safety on the Trojans' 2003 team.

"¢ Casey Matthews (son of Clay Matthews Jr.): Casey is the starting middle linebacker for Oregon.

The family business
Matthews clan continues to churn out football talent at every level
By SAM KHAN JR. Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
Oct. 23, 2009, 12:12AM

It's opening night for Elkins. Like a select few sophomores around the Houston area, Mikey Matthews is making his varsity debut.

His excitement at being the starting center gives way to concern late in the second quarter, because he feels pain in his snapping hand. Upon examination, the bad news becomes clear â€" there's a broken bone.

But there's no doubt â€" he's going to finish the game.

"I was determined that I wasn't coming out,"Â￾ he said. "There were a couple of plays in the second half where I was blocking with my back so that I could keep my right hand out of there."Â￾

Yes, he finished the game (without missing a play) and yes, Elkins won (beat Lamar Consolidated in overtime). Seven games later, he has yet to miss a snap for the Knights (6-1). A typical Matthews feat, complete with signature Matthews toughness.

Mikey is just the latest in a long line of football players in the Matthews family, one that permeates the Houston area on all levels of football.

His father Bruce, who spent a 19-year Hall of Fame career with the Oilers and Tennessee Titans, is an assistant coach for the Texans. The household in which Bruce grew up is well-documented for its football prowess (his father Clay Matthews and his brother Clay Matthews Jr. played in the NFL), but it's the household he shares with his wife, Carrie, that is all football, all the time.

Bruce and Carrie's five sons â€" Steven, Kevin, Jake, Mikey and Luke â€" have played or play organized football at some level. More notably, all five have played on the offensive line, like their father.

"I'm very proud of them,"Â￾ Bruce said. "I enjoy just being able to share that with them. They have an appreciation and a passion for the offensive line.

"They're good kids character-wise, personality-wise and they have a good demeanor. They realize it's more than just mindlessly going out there and (hitting) something."Â￾

Steven, 24, a Baylor graduate, last played as a senior at Elkins. And Luke, 9, plays youth football and is impressing as an offensive and defensive lineman.

Potential is there
But the middle three sons â€" Kevin, Jake and Mikey â€" carry the torch. Kevin, 22, is a senior at Texas A&M and in his second season as the starting center. Jake, 17, is in his third varsity season at Elkins and is the starting left tackle. He is one of the nation's most highly regarded offensive tackle recruits and is committed to Texas A&M.

And then there's Mikey, 15, who is showing a lot of promise in his first varsity season at Elkins and getting the chance no one else in his household has had â€" to play high school football on the same team with one of his brothers.

"It's pretty cool,"Â￾ Mikey said. "My dad can't be there (on the field) with me but if I have a question I can walk over and ask Jake."Â￾

Clay Matthews Jr. has an impressive collection of sons â€" one who plays for the NFL (Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews III), one in college (Oregon linebacker Casey Matthews) and one who was on a national championship team (former Southern California safety Kyle Matthews, who lettered on the 2003 Trojans).

"The last name Matthews is something special to me, with the accomplishments that are behind it and what people think of when they think of the Matthews name in football,"Â￾ Kevin said.

The football bond
When it comes to Bruce and his sons, football has helped them forge a bond. Because they all have played on the offensive line, they can trade advice on techniques and spend time critiquing each other.

"It really is a good learning experience,"Â￾ Jake said. "It does help me a lot."Â￾

On three days each week (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) and on three levels (high school, college and professional) there's a Matthews on the field or on the sidelines.

"Me and Kevin joke about it all the time: ‘Matthews Pride,' "Â￾ Jake said. "It gives you an extra boost in the game.

"It's just really cool to be a part of the family and I'm really proud to be a Matthews."Â￾
Edited by: SteveB

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
SteveB said:
There is a nice article in this morning's Houston Chronicle about the Matthews family and their football legacy.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/6682069.html

FOOTBALL'S FIRST FAMILY
The Matthews name has long been known in the NFL, but in the past few years it has become one of the most prominent names in Houston football. A look at the Matthews football legacy:

"¢ Clay Matthews (father of Bruce Matthews and Clay Matthews Jr.): He was taken in the 25th round of the 1949 NFL draft by the Los Angeles Rams after a college career at Georgia Tech.

"¢ Bruce Matthews (son of Clay Matthews): Bruce had a 19-year Hall of Fame NFL career as an offensive lineman for the Oilers and Tennessee Titans. He is an offensive line coach for the Texans.

"¢ Clay Matthews Jr. (son of Clay Matthews): Clay Jr. spent 19 years in the NFL, 16 with the Cleveland Browns (1978-1993) as a linebacker.

"¢ Kevin Matthews (son of Bruce Matthews): Kevin, a senior, is the starting center for Texas A&M.

"¢ Jake Matthews (son of Bruce Matthews): Jake is the starting left tackle at Elkins. He is the 11th-ranked senior tackle in the nation by Rivals.com.

"¢ Mikey Matthews (son of Bruce Matthews): Mikey, a sophomore, is the starting center at Elkins.

"¢ Clay Matthews III (son of Clay Matthews Jr.): Clay III is a linebacker for the Green Bay Packers. He was their first-round pick in the 2009 draft after a career at USC.

"¢ Kyle Matthews (son of Clay Matthews Jr.): Kyle lettered at USC as a safety on the Trojans' 2003 team.

"¢ Casey Matthews (son of Clay Matthews Jr.): Casey is the starting middle linebacker for Oregon.

The family business
Matthews clan continues to churn out football talent at every level
By SAM KHAN JR. Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
Oct. 23, 2009, 12:12AM

It's opening night for Elkins. Like a select few sophomores around the Houston area, Mikey Matthews is making his varsity debut.

His excitement at being the starting center gives way to concern late in the second quarter, because he feels pain in his snapping hand. Upon examination, the bad news becomes clear â€" there's a broken bone.

But there's no doubt â€" he's going to finish the game.

"I was determined that I wasn't coming out,"Â￾ he said. "There were a couple of plays in the second half where I was blocking with my back so that I could keep my right hand out of there."Â￾

Yes, he finished the game (without missing a play) and yes, Elkins won (beat Lamar Consolidated in overtime). Seven games later, he has yet to miss a snap for the Knights (6-1). A typical Matthews feat, complete with signature Matthews toughness.

Mikey is just the latest in a long line of football players in the Matthews family, one that permeates the Houston area on all levels of football.

His father Bruce, who spent a 19-year Hall of Fame career with the Oilers and Tennessee Titans, is an assistant coach for the Texans. The household in which Bruce grew up is well-documented for its football prowess (his father Clay Matthews and his brother Clay Matthews Jr. played in the NFL), but it's the household he shares with his wife, Carrie, that is all football, all the time.

Bruce and Carrie's five sons â€" Steven, Kevin, Jake, Mikey and Luke â€" have played or play organized football at some level. More notably, all five have played on the offensive line, like their father.

"I'm very proud of them,"Â￾ Bruce said. "I enjoy just being able to share that with them. They have an appreciation and a passion for the offensive line.

"They're good kids character-wise, personality-wise and they have a good demeanor. They realize it's more than just mindlessly going out there and (hitting) something."Â￾

Steven, 24, a Baylor graduate, last played as a senior at Elkins. And Luke, 9, plays youth football and is impressing as an offensive and defensive lineman.

Potential is there
But the middle three sons â€" Kevin, Jake and Mikey â€" carry the torch. Kevin, 22, is a senior at Texas A&M and in his second season as the starting center. Jake, 17, is in his third varsity season at Elkins and is the starting left tackle. He is one of the nation's most highly regarded offensive tackle recruits and is committed to Texas A&M.

And then there's Mikey, 15, who is showing a lot of promise in his first varsity season at Elkins and getting the chance no one else in his household has had â€" to play high school football on the same team with one of his brothers.

"It's pretty cool,"Â￾ Mikey said. "My dad can't be there (on the field) with me but if I have a question I can walk over and ask Jake."Â￾

Clay Matthews Jr. has an impressive collection of sons â€" one who plays for the NFL (Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews III), one in college (Oregon linebacker Casey Matthews) and one who was on a national championship team (former Southern California safety Kyle Matthews, who lettered on the 2003 Trojans).

"The last name Matthews is something special to me, with the accomplishments that are behind it and what people think of when they think of the Matthews name in football,"Â￾ Kevin said.

The football bond
When it comes to Bruce and his sons, football has helped them forge a bond. Because they all have played on the offensive line, they can trade advice on techniques and spend time critiquing each other.

"It really is a good learning experience,"Â￾ Jake said. "It does help me a lot."Â￾

On three days each week (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) and on three levels (high school, college and professional) there's a Matthews on the field or on the sidelines.

"Me and Kevin joke about it all the time: ‘Matthews Pride,' "Â￾ Jake said. "It gives you an extra boost in the game.

"It's just really cool to be a part of the family and I'm really proud to be a Matthews."Â￾

Wow could this be the best football EVER?Edited by: celticdb15

SteveB

Mentor
Chase Oliver of Tomball Rosehill Christian Academy finished the regular season leading all of South Texas (area including Houston, Beaumont, San Antonio, and south) in rushing and scoring. I don't normally highlight players from the Texas private school division because it is a very weak division and not many kids get recruited, but Oliver's stats stand out. He rushed for 2,268 yds on 174 att (13.03 ypc) and 35 TDs. He also added 2 receiving TDs. At 6'2" and 185 lbs, I would see him projected at WR in college. Let's hope some schools take notice of his incredible season and he gets some offers.

Layton Dworaczyk of the Blanco Panthers had 1518 yds rushing and 23 td's in 2008. This year his stat's before playoffs are 1776 yds and 29 rushing td's. He is the #2 rusher in the Austin/SanAntonio/south Texas area. I noticed in one of SteveB's post's that Layton may have a hard time getting a scholarship. He has only been approached by 3 smaller schools. He also goes both ways as most small schools do,at safety and returns punts and kickoffs.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Some Texas linebackers. I found these athletes quickly, so I realize that there are probably even better one's that I'm unaware of.

Matt Ritchey(Baylor)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Matt-Ritchey-96810;_ylt=Ao1kOrgGrOFTL9yhzaCeVgdHPZB4

He's built.

Joey Nichol(Air Force)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Joey-Nichol-93849;_ylt=Ai3oPTAT9J3FTM2eTJKbFhdHPZB4

Anthony Beard

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Anthony-Beard-83406;_ylt=Apbtu4corz1ll2A2vrncxt1HPZB4

Kevin Kisseberth

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Kevin-Kisseberth-91042;_ylt=AltOJjKAOcQwkHIgrEdCbKhHPZB4

Forrest Hagar(SMU)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Forrest-Hagar-87612;_ylt=AsvveDDN4jICTFm5wsA4fg1HPZB4

Mitchell Osborne(Tulsa)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Mitchell-Osborne-86580

Lincoln Schick

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Lincoln-Schick-89616

BTW, Southlake Carroll's - Mason Hathaway - recently committed to Colorado State. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Mason-Hathaway-99735

It's blatant to see how the White athletes from Southlake are lightly recruited compared to the darker-hued Southlake players. I punched "Southlake Carroll" into the Rivals search and there's only 10 players.

SteveB

Mentor

SteveB

Mentor
I am sitting down here to start watching the Texas 5A Div2 State Championship game on Fox Sports Southwest, so I am going to update this thread. I will highlight the teams competing in the two largest classifications, 4A and 5A, in this year's championship. 4A and 5A are the two largest classifications and produce the bulk of the college prospects.

We have a screwy system here where each classification is divided into two divisions, Divsion 1 and Division 2. How it works is the top 3 teams from each district go into the playoffs. The school with the largest student enrollment goes into the Division 1 bracket, the others go into Division 2 bracket. Typically the best teams are in the Division 2 bracket. This system was setup in the 1990's when the fast growing suburban schools (some with student enrollment greater than 5000 students) were dominating the playoffs. The smaller schools within the classifications complained, and now we have the system we have.

Now to the white dominated teams in the championships:

Katy Tigers (5A, Div2) - Katy is a western suburb of Houston and one of the most dominant programs in the state. They have won the last two 5A, D2 championships and have won 5 championships in the last 15 years. Katy starts 2 blacks on defense and 2 blacks on offense, the rest are white. Katy's strength is running behind a huge OL and playing tough defense.

On offense, Katy's huge OL is anchored by OT and Texas A&M recruit Shep Klinke (6'6", 285 lbs) and TE Zach Swanson (6'7", 220 lbs), who will playing for Stanford next year.
shepklinke.jpg

Shep Klinke

On defense, Safety and Baylor recruit, Sam Holl is the best player and is among the state leaders with 6 interceptions. Junior CB Colt Atwood is a lock down corner and has 5 ints this season. In a fair world, he should get plenty of scholarship offers this off season.
samholl.jpg

Sam Holl scores a TD on a punt return

Katy is playing undefeated Abilene, who starts an all white OL, but is black at all of the skill positions.

Austin Westlake (5A, Div1)- Austin Westlake has been in the 5A finals 7 times in the last 20 years, but has only been able to win it in 1996, when Drew Brees was at QB. Westlake starts white players at every position.

Westlake is led on offense by QB Tanner Price, who will be playing for Wake Forest next year. Van Gramann is a solid RB who rushed for 124 yds in the semifinals.
rannerprice.jpg

QB Tanner Price

On defense, LB Bryce Hager is an animal (6'1", 210 lbs). He is the son of former UT All American LB and Philadelphia Eagle, Britt Hager. Bryce is being recruited by Air Force, Rice, and SMU. The secondary is led by SMU recruit Louie Swope at CB.

Westlake will be playing mostly black powerhouse Euless Trinity in the finals.

Lake Travis (4A, Div1) - Lake Travis is a suburb of Austin and the best football program in the state for the past 3 years (they have a 45 game winning streak and have won the last two state championships). They regularly beat up on good 5A programs and is quickly being known has QB high. UT QB Garrett Gilbert and Kansas QB Todd Reesing are recent graduates. Lake Travis starts white players at every position.

This year, Junior dual threat QB Michael Brewer keeps the tradition going. He has thrown for over 4200 yds and 41 TDs and rushed for over 500 yds and 23 TDs. He should be one of the top dual threat QB prospects this offseason.
michaelbrewer.jpg

Michael Brewer

Rice recruit Andy Erickson is a versatile RB who can run or catch the ball. He is 5'10", 180 lbs with 4.4 speed and has rushed for 1024 yds and 22 TDs and has 1258 yds receiving with 14 TDs. He has been described by the local media as the number 1 playmaker in the state.
AndyErickson.jpg

RB/WR Andy Erickson

Lake Travis will be in a rematch with Longview in the state finals. Longview has about half of starters are black. Last year, Lake Travis won the game 48-23.

Aledo (4A, Div2) - Aledo is a suburb of Ft Worth and starts one black at RB, but is white at every other position. Soph QB Matthew Bisop has been solid with over 2400 passing and 20 TDs this season.

Aledo won the 4A,Div2 championship game over mostly black Brenham earlier today.

One thing I noticed looking at these championship game teams is there are no inner city all black teams. In the past, the college scouts would focus on teams like Dallas Carter and Skyline or Houston Yates and Madison to find those inner city affletes. All of the powerhouse teams are either predominantly white or mixed race teams from the suburbs.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
thanks for the info, Steve B. it seems like high school football in Texas reproduces the same trend that is observable in Arkansas high school football, in that White teams routinely dominate.

keep up the great work with the Texas info!

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Great write up Steve. Im assuming cornerback Louie Swope is Ryan Swope's brother? I have heard of several of the guys you mentioned, I think it is awesome to see white guys dominate in the highest classes of arguably the best football state in America.