T. J. Moe

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Nice article on Moe, who should have been drafted:

Best in T.J. Moe won’t dog it

WR could be Pats next free agent discovery

By Karen Guregian

Almost every year, someone from the undrafted pool of free agents signed by the Patriots makes the team and has an impact.

We’ve seen it happen with running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis. He went from the undrafted ranks and morphed into a 1,000-yard rusher with the Pats.

We saw it with defensive lineman Justin Francis and running back Brandon Bolden last season. Who will be this year’s diamond in the rough?

Here’s a vote for T.J. Moe.

The University of Missouri wide receiver had a pro-day performance that prompted NFL draft guru Gil Brandt to utter the name Wes Welker by comparison.

Now, of course, the Pats have done their best to apply a tourniquet on that wound. They started with Danny Amendola, who was immediately signed in wake of Welker’s departure. But it’s hard to trust Amendola’s injury history. They also re-signed Julian Edelman. Ditto with his injury history.

Moe? He just might be an insurance policy, particularly the kind you can depend on. He’s another slot receiver who fits the Welker profile from the perspective of toughness, and getting up time and again after getting popped. He also fits from the standpoint of being incredibly quick. He zips in and out of cuts, much like Brady’s former go-to guy.

He also works well within the Patriots offense, according to Andy Hill, who was Moe’s receivers coach at Missouri the past few years.

“It’s a 100 percent fit for him, no doubt,†Hill said on Tuesday. “I know they have Amendola, and Edelman back. I know they drafted a couple of outside guys. But I think (their style of offense) gives him a great chance. What they’re going to find out, once they tell him to do something, he’s one-million percent coachable. He’s a special guy in a lot of ways. They’ll be able to see it fairly quickly. He’s going to be out there until they kick him off the field.â€

The only way he doesn’t resemble Welker is stature. Moe is 5-foot-11 and 204 pounds, so he’s bigger than both Welker and Amendola.

Moe was a team captain at Missouri. He had his best season as a sophomore with 92 catches for 1,045 yards and six touchdowns. That’s when Blaine Gabbert was at quarterback for the Tigers. His statistics weren’t anywhere near as good in his junior and senior seasons.

Hill explained the decline in Moe’s numbers was not due to anything lacking with the receiver, it was more because Missouri went to a running-style offense with Gabbert’s departure. Moe had just 40 catches for 399 yards this past season.

“He’s very talented football player. Athletically, he’s super quick. He’s real strong. He can block people, he can certainly hold up taking big hits,†Hill said. “He’s really good in space and he’s super smart. He tested well in Wonderlic. There’s a lot of positives. I don’t think the Patriots will be surprised. I know they do their homework. He’s very talented. With this opportunity, he’ll show up for sure.â€

He showed up at the NFL scouting combine and tested incredibly well in the drills the Pats are keen on for receivers.

While Moe isn’t a speed demon, clocking 4.69 seconds in the 40-yard dash, he had one of the best three-cone times (6.53), which provides teams a measure of a player’s change of direction skills. He also had 26 repetitions on the bench press, which was tops among receivers.

“He’s a special guy. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t make it,†said Hill.

“He’s been totally committed to football. He’s a great young man dedicated to being the best football player he can be. One of the nicest things you can say about him, every decision he made about his life (is based on), ‘Is this going to make me a better football player?’ He’s really dedicated to the game. He does a lot of extra things that make him great.â€

Moe is expected to arrive today and participate in rookie camp, which begins tomorrow and continues through the weekend.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/05/best_in_tj_moe_won_t_dog_it

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
With the signing of Amendola, Edelman, and Moe, and the unfortunate release of Jeremy Ebert, New England now has 3 white receivers capable of making the squad.

Amendola is a lock to make the 53-man roster and has positional versatility in that he can play outside or inside and return punts.

When healthy, Edelman can play inside and outside, and is a dynamic punt returner. The only other punt returner on the roster is Amendola and the recently-signed RB, Leon Washington. Edelman allegedly had a great training camp last season, so hopefully he can do so again and make the squad. The fact that he was re-signed for the league minimum salary may bode well for keeping him around.

TJ Moe is talented, but New England is unlikely to keep three white receivers (as per unofficial NFL policy), so Moe, like Ebert last season, is likely to be cut or placed on the practice squad.

Ideally, Amendola would start on the outside, Edelman will start in the slot (or visa-versa), and Moe will be the backup slot receiver...

CAPTION: TJ Moe

dwid

Hall of Famer
I like Moe but it makes no sense to get rid of Ebert, who would have been the fastest wideout on the team. Bellicheck has had trouble finding a "true" outside receiver and Ebert would have been that. Amendola and Edelman can play the outside but they are both injury prone. The NFL likes to get rid of the most athletic White players.

Wes Woodhead

Mentor
I like Moe but it makes no sense to get rid of Ebert, who would have been the fastest wideout on the team. Bellicheck has had trouble finding a "true" outside receiver and Ebert would have been that. Amendola and Edelman can play the outside but they are both injury prone. The NFL likes to get rid of the most athletic White players.

Great point dwid. It seems true that a white man is better off being a "high motor" hard working "blue collar" player rather than an athletic freak.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
TJ Moe has everything you want in a slot receiver. He's quick, agile and strong.

Any team looking for a slot receiver should have drafted Moe. I think he'll do well with the Patriots if given half a chance.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Julian Edelman continues to do his best Bob Sanders impression, somehow re-injuring his right foot and is in a walking boot again. It's a shame Edelman can't stay healthy, but his misfortune is potentially Moe's opportunity.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Julian Edelman continues to do his best Bob Sanders impression, somehow re-injuring his right foot and is in a walking boot again. It's a shame Edelman can't stay healthy, but his misfortune is potentially Moe's opportunity.

Don, I believe that Edelman’s latest “walking boot†wasn’t from an actual injury sustained on the practice field, but from a minor follow-up operation due to complications with the original surgery…

From “ProFootballTalkâ€â€¦
The Patriots focused on bringing new receivers in all offseason, and it appears it will be a bit before they’re able to get one of their old ones on the field again.

According to Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald, Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman is back in a walking boot, after what was termed a “clean-up procedure†on his right foot.

Edelman broke that foot in December against the Dolphins. He’s still expected to be ready for training camp, though he could miss OTA time. The Patriots still have a month before minicamp.

Edelman was a free agent, but re-signed with the team The Patriots let Wes Welker go, but brought in Danny Amendola and several other free agents, along with draft picks Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce.

Nevertheless, I agree that Edelman’s constant injury concerns have become almost comical. If he doesn’t get back on the field before training camp, he could easily be cut in favor of newly-signed veterans like Jenkins, Hawkins, or Jones, or New England's fresh crop of black draft picks at WR. With Amendola, Edelman, and Moe grouped together with 8 blacks, one has to imagine that Edelman and Moe will be cut and placed on the PS, respectively, especially if Edelman can't stay healthy.

Gibbon

Guru
I just learned they picked up TJ Moe.

Ebert wasn't getting on the field and for reasons (perhaps some legitimate) the viewing public wasn't entirely privy to. Certainly it would be better if they held on to him in any scenario but if they weren't going to play him it's better he clears space for a guy we like that gets on the field.

The Patriots are typically good at scoring overlooked "steals" in these scenarios. Hopefully Moe turns out to be one of them. And once they get to compete in practice, things have seemed to sort themselves out for the better in recent years, relatively speaking (Thrashen's caveats withstanding).

Yeah it was a rough draft (I won't deny it) and I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Of course, it's meaningless unless our boys are getting the time and especially the throws. But at least I'll be watching at the beginning of the season.

Last edited:

Gibbon

Guru
One thing we should consider, with these three guys, all of whom are in varying degrees considered "slot guys": none of them can really be considered undersized in any legitimate sense (Edelman might be on the border).

If they prosper as individuals and especially as a group, that is a good thing. Less can be attributed to "quickness" implicitly accounted for by their smaller size or advantages in being "less visible" to opposing defenses (which Woodhead, the "scat back" was especially the supposed beneficiary).

They key is they have to light it up. Here's hoping they A) get the chance and B) do it.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Nice article on Moe, who should have been drafted:

Best in T.J. Moe won’t dog it

WR could be Pats next free agent discovery

By Karen Guregian

Almost every year, someone from the undrafted pool of free agents signed by the Patriots makes the team and has an impact.

We’ve seen it happen with running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis. He went from the undrafted ranks and morphed into a 1,000-yard rusher with the Pats.

We saw it with defensive lineman Justin Francis and running back Brandon Bolden last season. Who will be this year’s diamond in the rough?

Here’s a vote for T.J. Moe.

The University of Missouri wide receiver had a pro-day performance that prompted NFL draft guru Gil Brandt to utter the name Wes Welker by comparison.

Now, of course, the Pats have done their best to apply a tourniquet on that wound. They started with Danny Amendola, who was immediately signed in wake of Welker’s departure. But it’s hard to trust Amendola’s injury history. They also re-signed Julian Edelman. Ditto with his injury history.

Moe? He just might be an insurance policy, particularly the kind you can depend on. He’s another slot receiver who fits the Welker profile from the perspective of toughness, and getting up time and again after getting popped. He also fits from the standpoint of being incredibly quick. He zips in and out of cuts, much like Brady’s former go-to guy.

He also works well within the Patriots offense, according to Andy Hill, who was Moe’s receivers coach at Missouri the past few years.

“It’s a 100 percent fit for him, no doubt,†Hill said on Tuesday. “I know they have Amendola, and Edelman back. I know they drafted a couple of outside guys. But I think (their style of offense) gives him a great chance. What they’re going to find out, once they tell him to do something, he’s one-million percent coachable. He’s a special guy in a lot of ways. They’ll be able to see it fairly quickly. He’s going to be out there until they kick him off the field.â€

The only way he doesn’t resemble Welker is stature. Moe is 5-foot-11 and 204 pounds, so he’s bigger than both Welker and Amendola.

Moe was a team captain at Missouri. He had his best season as a sophomore with 92 catches for 1,045 yards and six touchdowns. That’s when Blaine Gabbert was at quarterback for the Tigers. His statistics weren’t anywhere near as good in his junior and senior seasons.

Hill explained the decline in Moe’s numbers was not due to anything lacking with the receiver, it was more because Missouri went to a running-style offense with Gabbert’s departure. Moe had just 40 catches for 399 yards this past season.

“He’s very talented football player. Athletically, he’s super quick. He’s real strong. He can block people, he can certainly hold up taking big hits,†Hill said. “He’s really good in space and he’s super smart. He tested well in Wonderlic. There’s a lot of positives. I don’t think the Patriots will be surprised. I know they do their homework. He’s very talented. With this opportunity, he’ll show up for sure.â€

He showed up at the NFL scouting combine and tested incredibly well in the drills the Pats are keen on for receivers.

While Moe isn’t a speed demon, clocking 4.69 seconds in the 40-yard dash, he had one of the best three-cone times (6.53), which provides teams a measure of a player’s change of direction skills. He also had 26 repetitions on the bench press, which was tops among receivers.

“He’s a special guy.
I’d be surprised if he doesn’t make it,†said Hill.

“He’s been totally committed to football. He’s a great young man dedicated to being the best football player he can be. One of the nicest things you can say about him, every decision he made about his life (is based on), ‘Is this going to make me a better football player?’ He’s really dedicated to the game. He does a lot of extra things that make him great.â€

Moe is expected to arrive today and participate in rookie camp, which begins tomorrow and continues through the weekend.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/05/best_in_tj_moe_won_t_dog_it

Moe was cut by the Rams today and Weenieworld credits it to his lack of athleticism, a convenient excuse that the media and DWFs will unquestioningly accept.

Rams waived WR T.J. Moe, OT R.J. Dill and OT D.J. Morrell. A 2013 undrafted free agent and Missouri native, Moe had only one catch through three preseason games. Moe was an effective slot receiver for Mizzou, but lacks the athleticism to stick in the NFL.