Super Bowl thread

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Bears run back the opening kickoff: Bears 7-0.

Peyton throws a pick trying to force the ball to Marvin Harrison. Any chance Marvin's complaints from the previous week influenced Manning's decision to throw to him?

Not to mention two false start penalties on the Colts to begin their opening series.

Nice TD for the Colts, a 53 yd pass from Manning to Wayne. But what's with the botched snap? I heard someone say that the Colts and Bears will have access to all the balls used in the game the week prior. No new balls will be used, so they ball shouldn't be that slick.

FUMBLE! Colts recover!

FUMBLE! Bears recover!

smiley36.gif

The two best teams in the league have three turnovers in the first 10 minutes of the game. Two big plays of more than 50 yards.

Welcome to the NFL.

Bears 14-6.

Nice hit on Benson, who fumbles on his first carry of the game in the Super Bowl. Colts recover.

Make that four turnovers in the first quarter, two each for the league's 'two best teams.' Not to mention the potential INT's for turnovers the Bears D-backs have dropped.

I'm out. See you after the game! Edited by: White Shogun

devans

Mentor
Matt Giordano looks really fast. He outran the rest of the colts on the opening kickoff to catch Hester from behind, unfotunately at the goal-line.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Heck Yeah! Peyton finally has the spotlight and is on top of the world of football!
smiley32.gif
I'm so glad for him and for white football players in general. After years of trying, the Caste System still can't deny the white football player his rightful position at the top! In 2007, we still have superstar, lengendary athletes among us!

Bear Backer

Mentor
Total Systemic Breakdown by the Bears. This is why you don't pay a coach like Lovie Smith 5 million dollars. If he want's that kind of money I hope we don't pay him. Let him find some other sucker team to produce that kind of dough. Lack of adjustment killed the Bears in the Superbowl just like last year in the playoffs against Carolina. The Bears are a team that absolutely have to havebig games from all of their stars to win, and today that didn't happen. No pressure on Manning, and a wide open midfield thanks to the Tampa 2 let the Colts dictate the strategy of the game all day. Once again No adjustments by the Bears at all in their game. If fact the few times they did try to make adjustments by bringing up men in the box or trying a zone blitz, Manning made them pay.The Colts tookcontrol of the game embarrassed the Bears defenseand forced Grossman to make tough throws.

Hats off to the Colts, they are the better team and have the better coaching staff. Edited by: Bear Backer

Poacher

Mentor
Well done Peyton! A patient performance. He "took what the defense gave him" all night long. After the early mistake he was pretty much perfect. The Colts red zone offense wasn't that great...settling for Fgs instead of TDs. But the Bears were awful on offense. Take away the Hester return and it's a rout.

backrow

Hall of Famer
devans said:
Matt Giordano looks really fast. He outran the rest of the colts on the opening kickoff to catch Hester from behind, unfotunately at the goal-line.

did you catch his huge hit on fourth down that forced the incompletion?
smiley32.gif

C Darwin

Mentor
Bear Backer said:
Lack of adjustment killed the Bears in the Superbowl

The best half-time adjustment Lovie could have made was to play Mike Hass.

Bear Backer

Mentor
Poacher said:
Well done Peyton! A patient performance. He "took what the defense gave him" all night long. After the early mistake he was pretty much perfect. The Colts red zone offense wasn't that great...settling for Fgs instead of TDs. But the Bears were awful on offense. Take away the Hester return and it's a rout.

The Defense is really what Killed the Bears more than anything. Coming into this game everyone knew the Bears needed to have a good game on Defense and should have been able to at least stop the run, but that didn't happen because the Bears scheme was once again not up to the task and put the offense under more pressure than the Bears offense is accustomed to facing. This was a route as far as I am concerned. The Bears defense layed an egg. Ive said this all year to fellow Bears fans who don't want to hear it, but it is the truth. Lovie's Bears have NEVER shown the ability to adjust their game, they are a one look team. If their stars are out there running around making plays they look great, but Good coaches can scheme to take those stars out of the games, which is what often happens to the Bears. The Bears just can't adjust on either side of the ball.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Congrats to Peyton! I hope the media doesn't put too much blame on Urlacher, he didn't get much help.

The rain really changed the game. Was it just me or was the camera work (because of the rain) horrible? It was fuzzy throughout most of the game, really awful. I have seen plenty of games in the rain but never one where the camera's were so out of focus because of it. They really dropped the ball on that.

Bear Backer

Mentor
jaxvid said:
Congrats to Peyton! I hope the media doesn't put too much blame on Urlacher, he didn't get much help.

The rain really changed the game. Was it just me or was the camera work (because of the rain) horrible? It was fuzzy throughout most of the game, really awful. I have seen plenty of games in the rain but never one where the camera's were so out of focus because of it. They really dropped the ball on that.

yah me and my buddy were talking about how the camera guy needed to get out his hankey and clean his lense.
smiley36.gif
At one point I thought I was about to re experience the old Bears fog bowl, the camera's were so fuzzy.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It was like watching an old game with the camera work and rain. I just wish the color of the players were like they were in the old days.

Bart

Hall of Famer
I love listening to Chicago sports talk show hosts after a Bears loss. They are the biggest whiners in the country. They are about to kill Grossman and all of them are blasting Lovie for never being able to make adjustments. But let's get real. Who did they play this year? They are in a division with the Vikings, Packers, and Lions. During the regular season they onlyplayed three games with teams having a record over .500.

The Colts won despite the following mishaps. They gave up a kickoff return for a TD, missed an extra point, plus a fairly close FG. They still won.

Peyton Manning was steady and effective, and didn't let the early problems (plus a steady rain) throw him off his game. This makes him the No.1 player in America's major sport, as I have said would happen if he got a Super Bowl ring.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Congrats to the Colts.Peyton is the main man.He is by far the best qb in the whole nfl.I'm so happy that he finally got over the hump.

bigunreal

Mentor
I'm very happy for Peyton, and the whole Manning family. I imagine that Archie is probably just as happy as his son, given all the hard years he endured in the NFL. It's interesting that once again Marvin Harrison was invisible on the big stage. He dropped at least two passes that would have resulted in big plays, and appeared to be blanketed by the Bears' lackluster DBs for much of the game. It also speaks volumes for the quality of the Colts' offensive line that they were able to rush for all those yards with a journeyman like Dominic Rhodes and rookie Joseph Addai. Running backs, much like QBs, are dependent on the offensive line, and thus the Colts were able to win it all even after losing their "great" runner Eddgerin James. I do wish Peyton had thrown a few more balls to Dallas Clark, but then again that's been the story of his career.

Hockaday

Guru
It looked to me like the Colt's O-line mostly dominated the Bear's D-line. The opened up some huge holes and did a pretty good job of protecting Manning.

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
You mean Michael Vick didn't play in the Super Bowl? Man it was hard to watch all those fumbles and dropped balls (Harrison) and missed tackles. However, thats what you get with the number of bruthas on the field. Great job Colts offensive line, they beat a mostly black Bears defensive line.Did Dung heap put a couple more whites on the Colts defensive line during the second half?, could that not have accounted for successful adjustment to the Bears run? Lastly, while listening to the post game commentators, one must conclude that christ has returned to earth and taken the pure Tony Dung Heap as his physical host. Good god what blather!Edited by: WHITE NOISE

sunshine

Mentor
Giordano ran down a return man in another playoff game and nearly caught Hester which would have been great. He gained a lot of ground on him and did catch him but it was too late. From what I can tell the Bears won't make it back to the SB for some time. The Colts O-line dominated. Urlacher played pretty well and made a couple of stand up hits- but overall the Bears were overmatched. The game reminded me of Ohio State _Florida--opening kick off return -anemic Bears?Buckeyes O etc.

Solomon Kane

Mentor
Congrats to Peyton and the Colts!

Does Peyton call the plays or are they sent in? In any event it seems like there were a lot of audibles.

If he calls the plays, then he definitely deserved the MVP. (You could, however, make a case for the Colts running backs, too).

If not, Peyton still played a fine game--patient, unruffled, unaffected by the KR and the interception.

Too bad about Rex, they should have replaced him--especially after that gift interception (I know, I know--which one?). Why didn't he stick with the 10-15 yard passing game? Especially under these conditions.

Which Rex will show up next year? SuperBowl Rex or NFC Rex? Both guarantee heart-attacks for Bears fans!

Poacher

Mentor
Anybody like the commercials?

Liked the Taco Bell two talking lions ad, "Ricardo Montalban?"

Liked the ads for career builder with the office workers in the jungle. "Here's some positive feedback...[gives wedgie]." HA HA HA!

Liked the Robert Goulet ad.

foreverfree

Mentor
bigunreal said:
I'm very happy for Peyton, and the whole Manning family. I imagine that Archie is probably just as happy as his son, given all the hard years he endured in the NFL.

I'm happy for the Manning clan too. Thumbs up to Peyton!
smiley2.gif

John

Very glad for Peyton and for Archie. I'm also glad I won't have to hear stories comparing these "...two dignified men," - the coaches. Giordano showed some impressive speed that wasn't commented on. He did make up a large deficit on Hester. Watch a replay and look at his arm action and leg turnover. He's just plain fast in the open field.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Just came across this post from a blog, which is complimentary toward Matt Giordano until the last paragraph:
<H2>Matt Giordano: NFL's Fastest Man?</H2>
Posted Feb 5th 2007 7:39AM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: Bears, Colts, Super Bowl
<DIV id=748321 ="post">
mattgiordano.jpg
Devin Hester returned the Super Bowl's opening kickoff for a touchdown, putting an exclamation point on a great rookie season for one of the most dynamic players to enter the league in a long, long time.

But watching the highlight again this morning, I was reminded that a curious thing happened at the end of the return: Colts safety Matt Giordano almost caught Hester from behind. Over the last 50 yards or so of Hester's return, Giordano gained nearly 10 yards on him. Given that Hester has been outrunning people all season, this raises a question: Who is Matt Giordano, and is he the NFL's fastest man?
Coming out of Cal in 2005, Giordano was clocked in the 4.5 range in the 40-yard dash, which is fast but not extraordinary for a defensive back. But I'm more interested in a player's speed on the field than on the track, and on the field, Giordano is really, really fast. It wasn't just that kickoff return; he also made some big plays on defense, including closing in a hurry to knock a pass out of Desmond Clark's hands on a fourth-and-9 in the fourth quarter, which pretty much sealed the win for the Colts.

Giordano isn't a great player, and he'll never be a household name. But when you watch the highlights today, ask yourself: When was the last time you saw someone gain ground on Devin Hester? [end of blog post, emphasis added]
<DIV ="post">
<DIV ="post">
<DIV ="post">He takes it so far, and then the Caste System programming kicks in. Instead of asking ourselves, "When was the last time you saw someone gain ground on Devin Hester," what he and everyone else should be asking is, "If he's that fast, thenwhy isn't Giordano potentially a great player and whyis hedestined never to be a household name?" Edited by: Don Wassall