Super Bowl thread

bigunreal

Mentor
Believe it or not, at my son's high school today, they started the morning off with a minute long announcement over the loudspeakers, extolling the great moment in black history which had occurred when Tony Dungy coached the winning team in the Super Bowl. Dungy has no connection to our area, and neither do the Colts. It even surprised me, but I think it really opened his eyes to the issues I've been increasingly discussing with him.

foreverfree

Mentor
bigunreal said:
Believe it or not, at my son's high school today, they started the morning off with a minute long announcement over the loudspeakers, extolling the great moment in black history which had occurred when Tony Dungy coached the winning team in the Super Bowl. Dungy has no connection to our area, and neither do the Colts. It even surprised me, but I think it really opened his eyes to the issues I've been increasingly discussing with him.

Your son's HS's mentality permeated the compositors of yesterday's Wilmington (DE) News Journal too. No photos from the game on the front page. On the front *sports* page, a photo of Dungy alone, with Manning probably cropped out. To see a pic of Manning you had to turn to page 3 of the sports section. He was celebrating a TD.

John

I wonder if they even bother to post correct times for white players - at least in certain instances. I am trying to remember a hurdler's name from the 1970's - I was in HS when this happened; he was at an NFL tryout and ran 4.1 (hand timed) to beat everyone there. One of the coaches was stunned, couldn't believe it. They had him run it again. He did. They said they'd never "...seen a white boy that fast." He never played in the NFL. The guy's name will probably come to me later.

Some guys do take time to get going, so it's also possible Giordano might not get up to full steam as fast as others, while Hester's top end is probably not as good as a lot of other guys, he might have good acceleration.

The "Black History" stuff, like including Dungy's win in an official school announcement is more and more ludicrous each year, as impossible as that may seem. However, he's such a dignified man... sorry, couldn't help it.

Good find, Don. Yeah, the brainwashing has to kick in sooner or later even in the most positive of statements from people. Good thing he didn't catch Hester, or Giordano would have been branded a White Supremacist Neo-Nazi looking to ruin America's (never-ending) celebration of Black History month.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Make no mistake in thinking the Colts success has anything to do other than Payton Manning. Without Manning the Colts are just another football team. Running backs don't mean much at all, in fact they are easy to find. Addai's running the same numbers he ran in college. The O-line blasts the holes and he runs in them. During the game I never saw Manning once go to the coach and seek advice on plays. Manning changes plays after the huddle when he sees something that he can take advantage of. Manning doesn't stand on the side lines thinking about ways to get attention from the cameras, he watches and analyses the other team. Manning is so far ahead of everyone else you can see him get frustrated when players on his team make mistakes, especially mental mistakes. Essentially, Dungy must credit most of the teams' success to Manning.
The media praise of Dungy is nonesense.