Stafford Mike'd Up -- Shows great leadership

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea whyStafford played Thanksgiving. The NFL isn't nearly as tough as it used to be, but why risk this kid's future by playing him when he was obviously in great pain, especially after the outcome had long been decided? Did he have to go through this to "prove" his "toughness" and "leadership"? I can't help but think that only a White player would be expected to play under such circumstances. All it would have taken is for a 300+ pound sumo toplant himon his left shoulder for Stafford tohave beenput out of action for a long time.

Don Wassall said:
I have no idea why Stafford played Thanksgiving.  The NFL isn't nearly as tough as it used to be, but why risk this kid's future by playing him when he was obviously in great pain, especially after the outcome had long been decided?  Did he have to go through this to "prove" his "toughness" and "leadership"?  I can't help but think that only a White player would be expected to play under such circumstances.  All it would have taken is for a 300+ pound sumo to plant him on his left shoulder for Stafford to have been put out of action for a long time.
It's the Lions. They've had more stadiums than playoff victories over the last 50 years. I wouldn't be surprised if the owner made the call. He encouraged Wayne Fontes to start Andre Ware over Eric Kramer.
smiley8.gif
And then when he called Ware to congratulate him on winning the starting job he dialed the wrong number. It was Kramer on the other line. Edited by: Fightingtowin

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I can see why he started, it was all about emotion. But after 4 picks he should have been taken out. (probably before that). It wasn't going to happen and just having him out there while they were down by 22 points was stupid. It was also pretty cheap when the Packers coach asked for a reply with less about two minutes left while up by three scores.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Matt's a tough hombre who wanted to be out there to lead the Lions. However, I think the coaching staff should have set him down (forget trying to help the TV ratings, etc.).

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
With Stafford's endless run of shoulder injuries you gotta wonder now if he's ever gonna have a good NFL career.

Hopefully Drew Stanton will be the next White QB to "surprise" the "experts" and DWFs and do well.

According to Fox Sports Detroit's Mike O'Hara, Matthew Stafford's latest shoulder injury is "worse" than the one he sustained in the season opener. O'Hara, a long-time beat writer, suggests that Stafford will not play again this season. The latest shoulder injury is believed to be a Grade 3 separation, more severe than the Grade 2 separation from earlier in the season. Stafford missed six weeks with the first injury, and there are only eight weeks remaining in the season. He's a candidate for injured reserve.

Yeah, general mood in Michigan is "here we go again" with a Lions QB.

I wish the best for Stanton, been a fan since he was winning a state title for Midwest factory Farmington Hills Harrison (he actually played as a 10th-grader at Kevin Love's alma mater in Oregon). He was never really as good as he was before busting up his knee ... on punt coverasge at MSU thanks to the jackass John L. Smith. In preseason he looks good at times freelancing and running against other backups, but has never gotten a consistent chance in the regular season. The Lions are rushing back Shaun Hill from his own injury ahead of Stanton.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Shaun Hill has played well (once againa White QB "shocks"the "experts" and many DWFs), but it would be nice if the Lions give Stanton some playing time this season. They're an improving team for sure, better than their record but at 2-6 aren't in the playoff hunt. If Stafford is going to continue to be injury prone, might as well see what Stanton can do.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
After being sacked by Jared Allen multiple times, Stafford is not only still standing, but he came away with the W! He's a fighter.

I would like to see Matt Stafford and Matt Ryan lead their teams to the final playoff spots in the NFC. Should be intense..

Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
(Probably) Eli Manning
Alex Smith
Matt Ryan
Matt Stafford

Talk about QB-driven teams!

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Matt Stafford is phenomenal, had a huge season and has a fantastic quick-release. With Detroit having a substandard running game, opponents' knew they were going to throw the ball, but they couldn't stop Matty Stafford!

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
After being sacked by Jared Allen multiple times, Stafford is not only still standing, but he came away with the W! He's a fighter.

I would like to see Matt Stafford and Matt Ryan lead their teams to the final playoff spots in the NFC. Should be intense..

Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
(Probably) Eli Manning
Alex Smith
Matt Ryan
Matt Stafford

Talk about QB-driven teams!

Detroit showed why this wasn't going to be a "guaranteed win" for New Orleans. Detroit will only get better, especially if they can get (or develop) a true #2 at wideout, and get Leshoure healthy and see what he can do (which would likely be an upgrade over what they have).

Super Bowl winner - Drew Brees - advanced! It will be Eli's opportunity tomorrow. I'm going for Matt Ryan, but it will be a tough game.