Smith suspended, fined.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Article

Jets S Eric Smith was fined $50,000 and suspended for one game after his helmet-to-helmet hit on Cardinals WR Anquan Boldin. Excessive? Not enough? Opinions?

Had a couple classes canceled today, so I've been keeping busy with the latest NFL news...
smiley36.gif
Edited by: PhillyBirds

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I thought peckerw**ds weren't capable of hitting hard? How could it have possibly been excessive?

We also have the "mockumentary" about the first black to win the Heisman and, because of that, we are told that Whites have no place on the field. I guess Whites aren't supposed to play a bruising-style of defense if the opposing RB is black.

Also, how the heck did "dreadlocked Superman" Al Harris get hurt? It was weird for sure.

Anyway, here is the all-important footage of the hit.

Anquan Boldin gets JACKED UP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zvllmyij8c&feature=related

Notice the Jet defender pushing Boldin into Eric Smith. Eric Smith shouldn't have been fined or suspended, but he'll have more fans now that he's a suspended/fined "Bad Boy"....

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I read that Smith was running second string in practice last week after beginning the season as one of the Jets' very few white starters. Don't know if he's been officially demoted yet or not.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
It looks to me like Smith wasn't even going to hit Boldin at all. His posture was erect and his arms were down. He was looking straight ahead, and did not have his chin tucked. How long did he lay on the turf, and did the announcers mention his injury at all?

The guy will probably be cut.

White guy jacks up black guy = fine

black guy cheap shots white guy (looker during rams game) = nothing

yeha there are no double standards in the nfl
smiley11.gif

Deacon

Guru
Deadlift said:
We also have the "mockumentary" about the first black to win the Heisman and, because of that, we are told that Whites have no place on the field. I guess Whites aren't supposed to play a bruising-style of defense if the opposing RB is black.
What a piece of crap that movie looks to be. Ben Lyons calls Ernie Davis an American HERO! Haha, a f'n hero for playing football! Ridiculous. Forget about the first black baller to win the Heisman, how about making a film or documentary about John Heisman! The man the trophy is named after.

link

On Topic...I would've just fined Smith $10,000 and let that be the end of it.

devans

Mentor
I agree with most peoples analysis posted above. Boldin was knocked into Smith by another defender, but he had to be fined just to show how "fair" the NFL is with all players.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
White Shogun said:
How long did he lay on the turf, and did the announcers mention his injury at all?

The guy will probably be cut.

I watched the replay of the game on NFL Network (the shortened version), and Smith was instantly knocked out like Boldin but the announcers only mentioned Boldin being out. There were several shots of both of them motionless on the ground, then another shot of players on both teams huddling together and praying. At that point Boldin was being ready to be placed on a stretcher but Smith looked to be gone, so he may have gotten up and walked off under his own power. (Or possibly a garbage truck had been summoned onto the field and he was thrown into it and summarily removed.)

Gi-15

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
(Or possibly a garbage truck had been summoned onto the field and he was thrown into it and summarily removed.)

smiley36.gif
Hilarious.

He would have probably hit him with his shoulder without boldin being it by behind, it was easy to see on the replay, what are the NFL thinking? it looks likes there is some sort of system made to punish and eliminates white players in the league... oups, there is one.

Rhodes1980

It's football for godssake. Someone is bound to get injured at one time or another, whether is something serious or minor. Making a huge stink about this I think is ridiculous. It obviously wasn't purposly done, but of course...........how dumb of me.......whitey injures darkie so of course it has to be "intentional". How many whites have en injured and taken out on stretchers over the years because blackasaurus knocked into him? Did they cry racism and make a whole bulls**t stink about it? NOOO and why? because it's part of the damn game and it happens. It was not intentional. I've seen the play several times, it was just the way that they conked into each other.

Did anyone see this hit? Was it really unnecessary? Welker didn't seem to be bothered too much by it:

Jets' Eric Smith gets fined $7.5k for Welker hit

Posted by Will Brinson

The NFL announced Friday that it fined Jets safety Eric Smith $7,500 for his hit on Patriots' receiver Wes Welker. According to multiple reports on Twitter, the NFL fined Smith for unnecessarily striking a defenseless receiver.

Oddly though, Welker said earlier this week that he didn't have any ill will towards Smith and didn't think that he should be fined or suspended.

"Eric came up to me during and after the game and apologized. He was just trying to make a physical football play. That's what it came down to," Welker about Smith earlier this week. "I don't have any ill feelings about that play or anything else. There's nothing I'm too worried about with him."

That's nice and all, but the hit was loud, it sent Welker to the ground clutching his helmet and had three trainers sprinting out onto the field as soon as it happens.

So, yeah, the NFL is far more worried about making sure that defenders aren't taking unnecessary shots at players than anything else, is really the lesson here.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnflon Twitterand subscribe to our RSS Feed .

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Smith gets hit with another fine, this time $10,000.

Jets safety Eric Smith did a pretty good job filling in for Jim Leonhard after Leonhard's season-ending injury. But it also ending him costing him, financially, as the safety was reportedly hit with a $10,000 fine for his hit on Emmanuel Sanders in the second quarter of the AFC Championship game.

LINK