Sam Darnold

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Sam Darnold was drafted by the Jets with the number 3 overall pick in the 2018 draft. He had a successful career at USC and carried the team on his back for two seasons.

Most analysts had a high opinion of Darnold before the draft. He has every chance of developing into a franchise quarterback.

Last edited:

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
There were discussions in the media about Darnold's arm strength before the draft. Some said it wasn't particularly strong while others, like Mike Mayock, said he had plus arm strength. It seemed OK to me, but nothing special, but I'm no expert.

There was no radar gun measurement of Darnold's arm strength at the Combine because Darnold didn't throw at the Combine. It was suggested by some that Darnold didn't throw at the Combine to cover up a weak arm.

What's everyone's opinion of Darnold's arm strength? Weak? Strong? I'm interested in everyone's opinion.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Watching him play at USC, his arm strength seemed fine. My concerns with Darnold is that he was very streaky. At times he was amazing, then he would play poorly and make bad reads, SMH-bad reads. His supporting crew also played somewhat unevenly, so it can't all be laid on Darnold's shoulders though. I'm hoping the coaching and Jets teammates can bring out the "good" Sam Darnold and he can shine.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Darnold's arm strength is fine. I caught probably 80% of the USC games and he carried that team this past season. The line wasn't good and the skill position players weren't that great either. I felt he could of used another season at USC to get some more starts but overall his demeanor, athleticism, ability all point to him being a successful NFL player. Out of the top 4 QBs I feel that Darnold and Allen both had the best mentality and ability to handle the pressures of the NFL spotlight.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Darnold just turned 21. I wonder if his arm is as strong as it's going to get or will it get significantly stronger as he gets older?

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
After training camp and 2 regular season games Darnold looks like the real deal. His first regular season game he looked good. In his second he was up and down.

Some football people, such as Tony Romo, think he's going to be a very good player in the league. I know before the draft Troy Aikman and Kurt Warner said he was the best quarterback in the draft. Romo was a pro bowler. Aikman and Warner are in the Hall of Fame. They know something about quarterbacks.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Darnold faces the Cleveland Browns good defense tonight. It will be an interesting test for him because the Browns blitz a lot.

Darnold already looks as if he'll be a franchise quarterback. It's too bad Baker Mayfield isn't starting for the Browns. I think he also will be a franchise quarterback. These two men are going to be around for a long time.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Before the draft Hall of Fame quarterbacks Troy Aikman and Kurt Warner said that Darnold was who they would take with the number one overall pick. Longtime NFL quarterbacks Trent Dilfer and Dan Orlovsky said the same thing.

After six games Darnold has shown every indication that he will be a franchise quarterback. And he's improving rapidly.

RTTAS

Guru
Before the draft Hall of Fame quarterbacks Troy Aikman and Kurt Warner said that Darnold was who they would take with the number one overall pick. Longtime NFL quarterbacks Trent Dilfer and Dan Orlovsky said the same thing.

After six games Darnold has shown every indication that he will be a franchise quarterback. And he's improving rapidly.

Hard to say whether Darnold or Mayfield will be better at this stage. Both have shown flashes of brilliance and have been overall very good to bring the Jets to 3-3 and the Browns to 2-3-1 (could easily be 5-1 with some better kicking and better refereeing against the raiders). I’d have to give Mayfield the edge on performance so far but Darnold has tremendous upside.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Hard to say whether Darnold or Mayfield will be better at this stage. Both have shown flashes of brilliance and have been overall very good to bring the Jets to 3-3 and the Browns to 2-3-1 (could easily be 5-1 with some better kicking and better refereeing against the raiders). I’d have to give Mayfield the edge on performance so far but Darnold has tremendous upside.

Both Darnold and Mayfield look like the real deal. Because they were both drafted high and close to each other they will be often compared. They both look like future franchise quarterbacks and the Browns and Jets have to be real happy about things.

Mayfield looks a little bit better than Darnold so far but they both look good.

TomIron361

Mentor
Clearly the Jets coach should be fired (possibly they could have done it at half time yesterday). But I think they won't get rid of him until the year is over because the Browns already got rid of a black coach and to get rid of another black coach during the season wouldn't look good. So, he'll stay until it's all over. All you have to see is the dumb, blank stare on his face and you know he's not up to the job.

TomIron361

Mentor
Share this:
Sports

Share this:

Matt Rhule’s side of Jets saga: I wouldn’t accept ‘arranged marriage’
By Jake Nisse

Contact The Author

Name(required)
Email(required)
Comment(required)

January 11, 2019 | 11:37am | Updated January 11, 2019 | 11:44am

Modal Trigger
rhule2.jpg

Matt Rhule Getty Images
After a confusing conclusion to Matt Rhule’s Jets coaching candidacy, he is providing answers.

Speaking to KRZI-AM 1660 Waco on Thursday, the Baylor head coach confirmed he and the Jets could not agree on his prospective staff in New York.

see also

The mysterious ending to Matt Rhule's Jets coaching candidacy

One of the mysteries of the Jets coaching hire is...
“At the end of the day, I’m never going to be in an arranged marriage,” Rhule told the radio station. “I’m never going to subcontract jobs to the offense and defense. I always want to hire people that believe in what I believe, that are going to do things our way, that are going to believe in process, that are going to be part of a program. I truly believe that programs win.”

One source, who had spoken to Rhule, told The Post that the Jets wanted to hand-pick his offensive coordinator. The Jets’ version is that they wanted some say, but not to the extent Rhule depicted in the interview. It is believed that Rhule wanted to bring a majority of his staff from Baylor with him.

Former Dolphins coach Adam Gase got the job and his success will depend to a large extent on the maturation of quarterback Sam Darnold. The Post reported that Rhule consulted with Bill Parcells over the job, and Parcells told him not to take any job where he couldn’t hand-pick his own staff.

The Jets were high on Rhule, who was in the running with Gase and Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken.

Rhule was never actually offered the job by the Jets. But whether his power struggle with the Jets impacted that is a different story.

I don't know anything about this story but the Jets front office always wants the power to make coaches fail. If a coach won't let them shoot him in the foot, then they just won't hire him.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Objectively speaking the Jets are in good shape to begin a rebuilding project. Despite an up and down rookie season Sam Darnold has shown flashes of being a franchise quarterback. The Jets should build around him.

The first thing to do is get an offensive line. The Jets should make this a priority in free agency and in the draft. They should not allow themselves to get sidetracked from this.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Darnold has only played two games this year but he's looked good so far...

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Well, Darnold is having a terrible year. He currently has a quarterback rating of 65.9 and the Jets are 0-6.

It's true that he has a terrible team around him but he doesn't seem to be playing well either. He's starting to look like a bust.

Maybe if he gets on a team with talent he can turn things around.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Darnold is having a terrible year. He currently has a quarterback rating of 65.9 and the Jets are 0-6.

It's true that he has a terrible team around him but he doesn't seem to be playing well either. He's starting to look like a bust.

Maybe if he gets on a team with talent he can turn things around.

How can he play well when he has a terrible team around him, including all three of his starting receivers being injured for most of the season? Serious question, how does a young quarterback "play well" under such circumstances, which include having a clueless head coach?

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Darnold's career has been sabotaged this far - I've put out enough reasons why in other posts. Gase is awful, the OC is terrible, the line stinks, the RBs stink, their TE Chris Herndon was supposed to be a "breakout" player but has been anything but. Berrios and Crowder are the decent players on offense. Signing 1st round busts like Breshad Perriman who get a new lease on life every year in the NFL as a vertical deep threat certainly does not help matters.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Crowder and Perriman have missed multiple games. Their early draft pick Mims only got healthy enough to play two weeks ago, and in fact Darnold himself has been playing hurt for a good portion of the season. The team continues to dump players as they tank the season. I don't think there's ever been a QB up against it like Darnold is this season.

Last edited: