Rohan Browning 10.01

mastermulti

Master
yeah, he's a mellow type of guy - confident and assured. But, as he said about losing his mullet and running faster ... "I feel faster but evidence wouldn't suggest that".
I don't want to see him run out first round. And the relay team will not run him if not in form, certainly not in the final if they make it. Joshua Azzopardi just ran a 10.15 again 2 days ago in Europe so if he's maybe 10.10 shape as he peaks in a month there's no way known he'd lose his final leg spot to a not-in-form Rohan. And Rohan wouldn't expect it anyway

sprintstar

Mentor
I think it is possible as well but He is also dealing with different season times for track versus other countries. It may be he will have to line up his seasons to match the rest of Europe, USA etc to stay competitive...I want to believe he is still able to progress and crack the 10 second barrier...

mastermulti

Master
I may be in the minority but, it seems as if Rohan has peaked. Hoping that I am wrong
well, he's been getting minor injuries for a few years now - that often spells a use by date.
Why would he want to keep doing it after Paris is my thought - probably get started on his career is my guess

white lightning

Hall of Famer
well, he's been getting minor injuries for a few years now - that often spells a use by date.
Why would he want to keep doing it after Paris is my thought - probably get started on his career is my guess

I disagree. Only Patrick Johnson has gone sub 10 for Australia. So to be only the 2nd wind legal sub 10 sprinter among all their past and present
sprinters is still amazing if he ever does it. He would be remembered for decades even without winning a medal. I think he should at least
run a few more years despite what has happened with nagging injuries the last 2 years. If I were Browning I would compete until 2028.

freedom1

Mentor
Unjuiced sprinters have a much smaller window of opportunity timewise. I hope Browning is still within his, but he SHOULD realize his time is running out fast.

mastermulti

Master
I disagree. Only Patrick Johnson has gone sub 10 for Australia. So to be only the 2nd wind legal sub 10 sprinter among all their past and present
sprinters is still amazing if he ever does it. He would be remembered for decades even without winning a medal. I think he should at least
run a few more years despite what has happened with nagging injuries the last 2 years. If I were Browning I would compete until 2028.
no-one here except die-hard athletics fans (and that isn't a huge number of people) even remembers Patrick Johnson running sub 10 ..... just that he was a good indigenous athlete. Very few will ever remember a second guy here who runs 9.99 or so either.
Not many people know much more than a tall black man pretending he is shooting a bow and arrow after winning an Olympic 100m final.
We track fans are a miniscule number in comparison to the unwashed hoi poloi who come out of the woodwork to buy an Olympic 100m final seat once every 4 years

People by and large just don't care - whether it's a white Australian or black Australian running a sub 10 people don't care. I don't think any of my friends who aren't in the masters athletes fraternity would know. Unless it was for a trivia quiz in a pub somewhere no-one would even give the topic a moment's thought.
Maybe he will go on till the next worlds, who knows. Anyway, we may know the answer within a few months

Last edited:

mastermulti

Master
Unjuiced sprinters have a much smaller window of opportunity timewise. I hope Browning is still within his, but he SHOULD realize his time is running out fast.
I reckon he does realise that. There's always new young athletes hungry to achieve success (Seb Sultana has a 10.17 legal as 18) and Rohan's now been taking track seriously for 10 years or so. After a few years on the slide the momentum and urgency just dissipates.
I'd love to see him continue and post his sub 10 but realistically why would he care too much?
He's probably busting to make his mark in his career now

Last edited:

freedom1

Mentor
Yeah, it seems like because he has other things going in his life, he doesn't present with a sense of urgency about athletics. In all his interviews, he seems like he is just going with the flow. If he does it, he does it, if he doesn't, he doesn't. Oh well, that's life. At least that's the perception I get.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Yeah, it seems like because he has other things going in his life, he doesn't present with a sense of urgency about athletics. In all his interviews, he seems like he is just going with the flow. If he does it, he does it, if he doesn't, he doesn't. Oh well, that's life. At least that's the perception I get.

At a certain point you have to decide what you’re going to do with your life and I’d think that working as an attorney with a popular athletic background is more appealing to him than trying to break 10 seconds.

He’s been very close for a long time and at a certain point I’m guessing he decides the effort required for that marginal improvement isn’t worth it

mastermulti

Master
At a certain point you have to decide what you’re going to do with your life and I’d think that working as an attorney with a popular athletic background is more appealing to him than trying to break 10 seconds.

He’s been very close for a long time and at a certain point I’m guessing he decides the effort required for that marginal improvement isn’t worth it
I'm of that opinion too - a very wind legal 10.01 and 10.02 and 10.05s ...... how close can you get?
Tortu did one 9.99 so is known as a sub 10 sprinter (he only shows that form in the relay though).
In essence they have the same talent - the difference in their bests while running at high 11metres per second pace is 23 cm ... 9".
It's a head thing to be able to say you ran 9 point something

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I'm of that opinion too - a very wind legal 10.01 and 10.02 and 10.05s ...... how close can you get?
Tortu did one 9.99 so is known as a sub 10 sprinter (he only shows that form in the relay though).
In essence they have the same talent - the difference in their bests while running at high 11metres per second pace is 23 cm ... 9".
It's a head thing to be able to say you ran 9 point something
Yeah I mean he is still fast as hell by any normal human standard and if he is bright enough to be a professional as well, he will do exceptionally well for himself I’m sure .

Don’t get me wrong I’d love to see the guy run 9.8, but one thing I’ve learned from following this site is that there are far more fast white athletes then I would have imagined. Perhaps they aren’t the absolute fastest in the 100m at present and we can debate why this is so, but there are enough examples of speedy white guys to make me think the absolute advantage (if there is one) is only material in events like the 100m and perhaps the 200m. In nearly any other event whites would be very competitive or already are.

Frankly, I find that heartening, because it says to me that if whites really wanted to there are very few athletic endeavors we couldn’t dominate, as most athletic endeavors are a blend of speed, coordination and high speed decision making.

So regardless of whether he runs 9.99 or 10.02 to me is immaterial except to the extent it would inspire more white kids to run sprints.

white is right

Hall of Famer
no-one here except die-hard athletics fans (and that isn't a huge number of people) even remembers Patrick Johnson running sub 10 ..... just that he was a good indigenous athlete. Very few will ever remember a second guy here who runs 9.99 or so either.
Not many people know much more than a tall black man pretending he is shooting a bow and arrow after winning an Olympic 100m final.
We track fans are a miniscule number in comparison to the unwashed hoi poloi who come out of the woodwork to buy an Olympic 100m final seat once every 4 years

People by and large just don't care - whether it's a white Australian or black Australian running a sub 10 people don't care. I don't think any of my friends who aren't in the masters athletes fraternity would know. Unless it was for a trivia quiz in a pub somewhere no-one would even give the topic a moment's thought.
Maybe he will go on till the next worlds, who knows. Anyway, we may know the answer within a few months
I tend to agree with Multi, beat writers for national newspapers routinely credit athletes with Olympic medals that were World or World Indoor medals or vice versa. Or they credit them with medals in the wrong event so what would a casual follower of the sport think?

You just have to see where live track is shown less the Olympics and it's on obscure cable that is behind a paywall in the United States and most of the fans competed at some level in the sport. I know if I didn't have marginal talent in the sport I would never have one shred of interest in the sport. I have a sibling who had reasonable ability and doesn't give a flying f*&k about the sport and he qualified for the equivalent of the state championship in a province which would be a larger state.

Last edited: