Rex Burkhead

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
yeah Lawrence had that killer instinct about him. Gimme a break these guys Sipple and Passan deserve some hate mail. Friggin idiots.

"Let's face it, people also say he's a white guy," the coach said. "People stereotype — that's what society does."

I have to give some credit to Pelini on this. He came right out and said it. Could have been stronger, but he still said it.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This writer predicts Rex will see his first game action on Sunday against the Browns:

It's unclear at this point whether or not BenJarvus Green-Ellis is going to play this weekend as he struggles with an ankle injury—he remains questionable.

While I anticipate that this means more time for Giovani Bernard (more on that later), I wouldn't be surprised to also see Rex Burkhead get some playing time. Even if Green-Ellis is playing, you know his time will be limited. This means that Jay Gruden can really get a feel for how good Burkhead is.

Should Burkhead perform well against a good defense like the Cleveland Browns, he could see more time in the future. For the time being, I'll keep it modest—I'd say Burkhead carries the ball a handful of times and maybe makes a couple of catches.

Keep an eye on him by the goal line—he could be the guy that sneaks through the line and is wide open in the end zone.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...natis-week-4-matchup-against-cleveland/page/2

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This writer predicts Rex will see his first game action on Sunday against the Browns:

It's unclear at this point whether or not BenJarvus Green-Ellis is going to play this weekend as he struggles with an ankle injury—he remains questionable.

While I anticipate that this means more time for Giovani Bernard (more on that later), I wouldn't be surprised to also see Rex Burkhead get some playing time. Even if Green-Ellis is playing, you know his time will be limited. This means that Jay Gruden can really get a feel for how good Burkhead is.

Should Burkhead perform well against a good defense like the Cleveland Browns, he could see more time in the future. For the time being, I'll keep it modest—I'd say Burkhead carries the ball a handful of times and maybe makes a couple of catches.

Keep an eye on him by the goal line—he could be the guy that sneaks through the line and is wide open in the end zone.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...natis-week-4-matchup-against-cleveland/page/2

Great news Don. Thanks for posting it. I have a strong feeling that if they give the kid 5 to 10 chances to carry the ball, he will run with it and make an impact. He is just an all around back that can do anything and he has a very good burst along with excellent cutting ability to go with great hands. Come on T-Rex!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Margus Hunt has only played a handful of snaps, and like Burkhead has been inactive for some games.

It's silly to think that Marvin Lewis and the team owner Mike Brown will ever give any White players a fair chance other than at QB and the o-line, and the rare exception on defense for a great talent like Justin Smith.

Super-wigger Bill Cowher went through a brief period when he and Kevin Colbert picked a few White players early -- freakishly athletic safety Scott Shields in the second round, WR Danny Farmer in the fourth round, and a defensive end in the second round whose name escapes me right now. Shields and Farmer were quickly despised and run out of town without getting any opportunity to play. In fact the only time Farmer got a bit of playing time was with the Bengals, when he played as well as their starting receivers, only to be cut the next season and blackballed out of the league as his last stop was with Jon Gruden's Caste wonderland in Tampa, where he never played in the regular season.

It's quite possible that Burkhead will never get to run in the NFL, especially if Bernard and Law Firm stay relatively healthy. He could be waived next year and no one will even notice except his fans at Nebraska. Hunt can easily be made out to be a bust without even playing, so reliable is the caste/corporate media arm of the league.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Margus Hunt has only played a handful of snaps, and like Burkhead has been inactive for some games.

It's silly to think that Marvin Lewis and the team owner Mike Brown will ever give any White players a fair chance other than at QB and the o-line, and the rare exception on defense for a great talent like Justin Smith.

Super-wigger Bill Cowher went through a brief period when he and Kevin Colbert picked a few White players early -- freakishly athletic safety Scott Shields in the second round, WR Danny Farmer in the fourth round, and a defensive end in the second round whose name escapes me right now. Shields and Farmer were quickly despised and run out of town without getting any opportunity to play. In fact the only time Farmer got a bit of playing time was with the Bengals, when he played as well as their starting receivers, only to be cut the next season and blackballed out of the league as his last stop was with Jon Gruden's Caste wonderland in Tampa, where he never played in the regular season.

It's quite possible that Burkhead will never get to run in the NFL, especially if Bernard and Law Firm stay relatively healthy. He could be waived next year and no one will even notice except his fans at Nebraska. Hunt can easily be made out to be a bust without even playing, so reliable is the caste/corporate media arm of the league.
I think Bungles management wanted to cut Burkhead and send him to the practice squad but know he won't clear waivers. We have seen this before with white running backs. Where the coaching staff see a "future" for this back and then the next season he is cut. It will be interesting to see if he this does happen to him will another team pick him up.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Rex Burkhead, team mascot and White Special Teams Demon!!

Gio Bernard's goal? Copy Rex Burkhead

by Coley Harvey

Many of the plays Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson cued on the projection screen during unit meetings back in May and June ended with one player receiving a compliment: running back Rex Burkhead.

"That joker," fellow back Giovani Bernard said, "he's a good player."

Bernard apparently considers Burkhead to be so good, Bernard has made it his mission to copy one aspect of Burkhead's game in particular. That's right, Cincinnati's do-everything starting running back who was in the running for the NFL's Rookie of the Year Award last season wants to emulate the backup who might not even make the team this training camp.

"It's just his effort," Bernard said. "You can't teach that. That's something you kind of have to have in yourself."

Routinely in practices you will see Burkhead finish runs or catches 30, 40, even 50 yards beyond where the whistle blew and the play ended. That is the effort Bernard has been slightly envious of. It is the same effort Jackson has been quick to point out when he re-watches practice film, and it is the effort other coaches referenced when they brought up the mantra of the minicamp and organized team activity portion of the offseason: "finish."

Back in June when organized team activities were winding down, receivers coach James Urban told ESPN.com just how much "finishing" had been stressed as the team started implementing Jackson's new offensive scheme.

"There was a lot of talk about finish," Urban said. "Talking about doing things down the field. Most of these guys have been with me, been with us, for the last four years or so. So they know what to expect, and we've done great things. So how do you get their attention? We get their attention by overemphasizing finishing, overemphasizing getting off the ball and getting out of the huddle and getting set."

Jackson said Burkhead was a great example of that.

"I can always in the meetings point to something he's doing that's giving us a chance to have success," Jackson said. "It's every day. There's not a day that goes by. And that's what matters to me: that guys are playing hard, finishing and taking care of business. He does that, there's no question about that."

There is also no question that as he enters his second season, Burkhead finds himself mired in one of the more intriguing position battles of the Bengals' training camp which begins Thursday. He's fighting for the team's third or fourth running back spot with BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Cedric Peerman, James Wilder Jr. and Nikita Whitlock. The universal belief is that the Bengals likely will end up using Bernard and rookie Jeremy Hill as their top two running backs, and that Peerman's more expansive special teams background and experience makes him an ideal candidate for the No. 3 spot. That would mean Burkhead and Green-Ellis will be dueling for the other roster spot as Wilder and Whitlock likely duke it out for a possible practice-squad job.

Burkhead has played the various scenarios in his head. He has a strong understanding of what is at stake for him right now. He knows he's not the fastest back on the team, and he knows he might not be the most powerful. But he still believes he has what it takes to stick with the club. [Gotta love the overachieving attitude and non-stop motor!]

"I love the competition," Burkhead said. "I feel like it brings out the best in me and helps me improve as a player. So whenever my opportunity comes, I'll be ready for it because I've already been practicing at that level. This competition, it makes us all better. It makes the team better and that's what wins you championships, is having that high level of competitiveness around you."

Burkhead didn't contribute statistically to the Bengals' division championship last season. Declared inactive for all but one game, he was primarily a practice body. But he was a practice body that still commanded attention.

"This game, it's tough. It's tough to win, it's tough to score. It comes down to inches," Burkhead said. "That's what finishing plays is. Hopefully I can set that example, and if I can help someone do that, too, that's what I'm going to do."

So far, he's at least rubbed off on Bernard.

"It's effort like that that Coach Hue really sees and that he wants the whole offense to follow," Bernard said.

Burkhead, 24, wasn't the only one Jackson singled out regularly in his practice-film review sessions with the offense. Veterans like 32-year-old Pro Bowl offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth showcased some of what Jackson has been pleading for since he took over as offensive coordinator in January.

Bernard said Jackson showed a couple of times where Whitworth was running downfield on routine practice plays to block for receivers.

"If all the linemen could do that, if all the running backs could do that, if all the receivers could do that, the quarterbacks could do that, that'll show and it'll prove to everybody how much better we really are," Bernard said.

As camp opens, stay on the lookout for how well effort translates to roster spots and offensive identity.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/132078/gio-bernards-goal-copy-rex-burkhead

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This looks bad:

Bengals RB Rex Burkhead was spotted on crutches and in a knee brace at the team facility Monday. Beat writer Paul Dehner believes it "doesn't look good" for Burkhead, who left Saturday night's preseason game with a knee injury and didn't return. If Burkhead's injury is major -- and early indications point to that -- BenJarvus Green-Ellis' roster spot could be safe in Cincinnati. The alternative would be to carry just Jeremy Hill and Cedric Peerman behind Giovani Bernard.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Rex is over his knee injury as he practiced fully this week. Now we'll have to wait and see if he plays at all, this week or any week. Given how little 27 year old Margus Hunt has played so far in his second season after tearing it up all preseason, and given the long-established track record of Marvin Lewis as a Caste System zealot, any playing time at all for Rex other than as a special teams demon will be a surprise.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Rex is over his knee injury as he practiced fully this week. Now we'll have to wait and see if he plays at all, this week or any week. Given how little 27 year old Margus Hunt has played so far in his second season after tearing it up all preseason, and given the long-established track record of Marvin Lewis as a Caste System zealot, any playing time at all for Rex other than as a special teams demon will be a surprise.

Hasn't Burkhead had knee issues since his senior season at Nebraska? He seems to have some problems, but never has surgery or misses a long period of time with the knee.

If true, shouldn't he get whatever it is fixed and then try and return fully recovered?

If I'm wrong, someone fill me in on this.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There's fear and trembling going on at Bengals headquarters. They're praying super-scrub Cedric Peerman stays healthy so that they're not forced to use team mascot Rex Burkhead as a runner.

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Bengals are "getting [Cedric] Peerman ready as a complimentary back to Jeremy Hill." Gio Bernard (hip) is in doubt for Sunday's game against the Jaguars. He couldn't finish last week's game and did not practice on Wednesday. The change-of-pace type Peerman has been on the fringe of Cincy's roster for the last five seasons, rushing just 54 times. The real winner if Gio sits, of course, would be rookie power back Jeremy Hill. He'd take on feature duties and would be a candidate for 20 touches.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Bengals keep dabbling with Rex Burkhead at WR

by Paul Dehner Jr.

The Bengals unveiled the surprise of running back Rex Burkhead playing receiver in

the playoff loss at Indianapolis. His time there came by virtue of significant attrition at the position, but during Tuesday's organized training activity session, he returned to the spot where he caught three passes for 34 yards.

Burkhead worked with receivers and even caught a slick route over the middle for a long gain during the only practice open to the media during this week of OTAs.

Hue Jackson approached Burkhead last year with the idea of slipping over to receiver and sounded determined to find ways to get the 2013 sixth-round pick on the field despite sitting behind Jeremy Hill and Giovani Bernard on the depth chart.

"He's very talented," Jackson said. "You have a talented player on your team you see if you can find a way to get him involved. He can do a little bit of everything. He can run the ball, too. He can catch, protect. He's one of the better players on our team so we will see what we can do with him."

Burkhead said he's spending about half of his time now with the receivers and half with the running backs. The actual act of receiving the ball comes as the easiest aspect of his transition. The challenge comes with retention of route concepts and different attacking styles when lined up in the slot.

"When you're coming out of the backfield you're usually going against a linebacker and you're usually going against straight-up man. Or it's a simple zone you can read off of," Burkhead said. "Now you've got cover-2, quarters, cloud coverages, and other things you have to learn about. And you're running against nickel, dimes with corners and safeties. So it's new, especially when I'm running some routes I've never run before."

He caught 60 passes for 507 yards and five touchdowns during his four seasons at Nebraska. Whether running back, receiver or anywhere on the field, Burkhead could care less how he ends up involved.

"Any time you can find a way to get the ball in your hands, you're more than happy to do that," he said. "So yeah, I'm looking for those ways, and hopefully coaches have the confidence in me to get the ball in my hands."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ep-dabbling-with-rex-burkhead-at-wr/28367543/

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
I know we should be enthusiastic about our guys getting time on the field, but Burkhead is far and away a better running back than the two guys ahead of him.

Heck, even the coach said he's one of the most talented guys on the team, but somehow, he must find a way to fit in...

It's baffling how far these "coaches" go to remove White players from their high school and college positions in which they excelled, into these hybrid- spots.

Obviously, the powers that be don't want to get the black kids angry by allowing Whitey extended time in skill positions.

Oh well, I'm sure Rex will dominate at receiver, running back or special teams ,a la Julian Edelman. But it's just getting old having to settle for scraps when our guys should be eating the whole meal.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
If I recall correctly, Burkhead was used as a receiver in a playoff game and played well in the first half. He was then benched in the second half.

What was their explanation for why they didn't keep playing him when he was effective?

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
If I recall correctly, Burkhead was used as a receiver in a playoff game and played well in the first half. He was then benched in the second half.

What was their explanation for why they didn't keep playing him when he was effective?

We noticed the same thing. Burkhead literally ignited a lagging Cincinnati team in that game every time he touched the ball.

Then for some unknown, undisclosed reason he stood on the sidelines for the second half... I guess his White privilege was holding the others back.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I'd like Rex at his natural position of RB. However if he has to move to his racially correct position of slot wr,so be it. Long as he sees the field. He could be a similar to Edelman have him returning punts as well.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Burkhead hauled in a TD pass this week from McCarron! Another white RB that is underutilized...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It is just my 2 cents but Burkhead is lucky to be on an NFL roster. He has talent but he was never that great. Maybe I am stupidly starting to compare every white rb to Christian Mccaffrey. I remember posting here a couple of New England football sports casters saying Danny Woodhead was not elusive. What a crock of shi*. I just was never really impressed with Burkhead though he clearly has talent.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
It is just my 2 cents but Burkhead is lucky to be on an NFL roster. He has talent but he was never that great. Maybe I am stupidly starting to compare every white rb to Christian Mccaffrey. I remember posting here a couple of New England football sports casters saying Danny Woodhead was not elusive. What a crock of shi*. I just was never really impressed with Burkhead though he clearly has talent.
Perhaps you should review this video put together by our very own dwid. Lucky to be on a roster? How many of the black backs in the entire league have this kind of all-around ability? Not many, but it's a skin-tone thing.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I loved seeing Burkhead in college. It's a shame he is buried on the depth chart in Cincinnati. I would love to see him in NE once he is a Free Agent because we all know the Pats cannot draft and rely on talented white free agents to help them be successful.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Is Rex Hall of Fame material? Probably not, but he's more talented than many if not most of the starting RBs in the NFL, considering his all-around game. He can run well, receive well and run after the catch, and pass protect. He's smart and a great team player. What's not to like?