Recent BUSTS

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea if this guy will be a bust or not yet but you can add him to the list of receivers drafted in the first two rounds who were already injured when drafted, have since become injured, or are too fat and out of shape to contribute. I happened to turn on this game briefly just as London made the catch early in the first quarter and there was no indication of why or how he was injured, it was just a routine catch. The announcers started oohing and aahing about how it was his first NFL catch and the next thing you know he was out of the game with a knee injury:

Speaking after the team's first preseason game, Falcons coach Arthur Smith said that Drake London's knee injury is "not a long-term thing."
Smith also noted that the rookie wideout would probably not be available this week and that anybody who is hurt right now, he believes will be ready for the regular season. London's knee injury may cap our ability to see London put together NFL preseason tape, but it doesn't look like it will impact his regular-season at all.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
This is a bust. 106 total tackles and 8 sacks in a 6 year career after being a 1st round draft pick in 2016.

Raiders released DT Vernon Butler.

A March signing, Butler was brutal in run defense for the Bills in 2021 and apparently the Raiders didn't care for what they saw either. The 28-year-old lineman will try to catch on elsewhere as depth in a rotation, but there's not much reason to believe he'll be more than that.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
First round draft pick just three years ago:

Raiders waived S Johnathan Abram.​

Abram lost his starting job in Week 8 and played just 52 combined defensive snaps over the last two weeks. Duron Harmon and Trevon Moehrig have been Vegas' starting safeties. 2019 first-rounder Abram doesn't have a single NFL season to his name with above a 54.2 PFF coverage grade and might be a candidate to be a dimebacker elsewhere ala Mark Barron -- he just hasn't covered well enough to be an easy fit at safety.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The two most heralded running backs in the past three years as far as where they were taken in the draft are Najeeh Harris and "CEH." Both are first round busts.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire played 6% of snaps in the Chiefs' Week 10 win over the Jaguars.​

Edwards-Helaire didn't record a touch against the Jaguars after failing to secure either of his targets, but that kind of thing tends to happen when a player only sees the field for four total snaps. Isiah Pacheco hasn't been all that impressive as the Chiefs' lead rusher, and Jerick McKinnon has had a few drops as the Chiefs' primary pass-catching running back. However, the Chiefs clearly feel comfortable enough with both backs to have completely phased CEH out of the rotation. The third-year back should only be held in deep leagues as a contingency-based bet.

I have been wanting to write this one for a while but I keep forgetting. I accidentally got caught up in some yahoo news click bait but it was offering an article on who was the worst bust on every major contemporary football team. It took me about 90 minutes to sift through it but I swear it was about 19 out of 30 guys were white including Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandarich ( falsehood there ) and Brian Bosworth. I'll never learn the impetus behind the writer but it was just more anti-white schlock from the establishment.

I have been wanting to write this one for a while but I keep forgetting. I accidentally got caught up in some yahoo news click bait but it was offering an article on who was the worst bust on every major contemporary football team. It took me about 90 minutes to sift through it but I swear it was about 19 out of 30 guys were white including Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandarich ( falsehood there ) and Brian Bosworth. I'll never learn the impetus behind the writer but it was just more anti-white schlock from the establishment.
Bosworth as his team's "biggest bust ever" is as much a falsehood as the one about Mandarich, more so, in fact.

Chargers/Ryan Leaf is probably the one and only legitimate case where a team's biggest bust was White. On all 31 other teams the biggest bust was black.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Third round draft pick in 2021:

Packers waived WR Amari Rodgers.​

Rodgers was only involved on offensive plays when Green Bay's other younger receivers dealt with injuries. He also had somehow managed to fumble five times -- mostly on special teams -- in his 184 snaps on offense and specials this season. He'll head to waivers. He might be a reclamation project elsewhere, but what he showed with the Packers wasn't too enticing.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
7 career fumbles in 1 and a half seasons! Dat upside! I called for them to cut him 2-3 fumbles ago.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Second round draft pick Moehrig joins first rounder Johnathan Abram as two highly drafted safeties, both by the Raiders, who are busts.

S Trevon Moehrig, LV (1 solo, 1 asst on 100% of snaps)
The Raiders drafted Moehrig in the second round last year, and he has yet to show much despite often playing a full-time role. He has just 18 solo tackles and 8 assists in 8 games played this year, and the release of Johnathan Abram doesn’t appear to have helped much as he was a non-factor once again this week.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like this "super athlete" is going to miss the entire season after tearing his ACL last year, apparently his rehab powers are minimal. This is on top of weak production from a first overall pick even before the knee injury.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chase Young (knee) is not expected to play in Week 15 against the Giants.​

Young is listed as questionable, but Commanders coach Ron Rivera didn't sound optimistic when talking about Young suiting up earlier in the week. With just three games left on the schedule, it's unclear if Young will play in 2022 at all. He is still recovering from a torn ACL and has yet to see the field this year.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Haha Young started off promising, but injuries are derailing his career. Another once in a generation talent in Clowney only has 2 sacks this season!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire has been such a bust as a first round pick in 2020 that he was a healthy scratch for the Super Bowl today.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sterling Shepard isn't a classic bust like so many we've documented in this lengthy thread, but if Mike Mamula is a bust then Shepard certainly is. Drafted early in the second round his highest output in a seven year NFL career, in between endless injuries, is just 872 yards, back in 2018.

Giants released WR Sterling Shepard.​

The Giants will absorb a $4.3 million hit in dead cap to part ways with the oft-injured Shepard, who suffered a torn ACL in Week 3 last season. In seven seasons with the team, Shepard caught 362 passes for 4,038 yards and 22 touchdowns, dealing with a myriad of injuries along the way. Over the last two years, Shepard has appeared in just 10 regular season games and hasn't played in more than 12 games since 2018. When healthy, he's a serviceable WR2 who's capable of playing both out wide and in the slot. He'll likely land elsewhere on a one-year prove-it deal this offseason.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This clown was a first round pick in 2022 even though he blew out his knee in the previous season's championship game and the Lions knew he wouldn't play as a rookie other than some snaps at the end of the season. Now this (and so much for his "expected big leap" in '23):

The NFL suspended Jameson Williams for six games for violating the NFL's gambling policy.​

Williams and wide receiver Stanley Berryhill both received six-game suspensions for their violations, while fellow wide receiver Quintez Cephus and safety C.J. Moore were slapped with year-long bans. Williams and Berryhill reportedly bet on college football games -- which is allowed per the NFL but did so from league facilities, which is prohibited. The Lions released Cephus and Moore just moments after news of the suspension dropped, but Williams will serve out his suspension and be eligible for a return by Week 7 pending the bye week. Williams battled back from a torn ACL to make his NFL debut in Week 13 of last season. He caught just one pass for 41 yards and one touchdown and is expected to make a big leap in his second year. While a suspension will derail his start, Williams and Berryhill will be eligible to participate in all offseason programs leading up to Week 1.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Wow crazy that as soon as NFL endorses gambling and the $ it provides. Affletes start going crazy and betting on more games! Again, crazy correlation.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Even before all his injury woes he was a disappointment compared to the ridiculous amounts of hype he received going into and after the '20 draft.

He was one of the most hyped up players in recent memory - probably the same level as another black "generational" DE bust Clowney.