RB/S - Rex Burkhead

AllenEGL

SteveB said:
Burkhead had a big game for Plano going 30 for 125 yds and 2 TDs. He also had 3 rec for 57 yds as Plano rolled over Mesquite 28 to 7.

It was a wet, cold mess at this game. The kid showed me something by being able to adjust his running style to fit the game flow. It became a grind it out game and the kid became a ball securing battering ram. Nothing fancy during this cold wet mess, hejust did what he had to do to keep the chains moving. Mesquite had 3 -4 defensive lineman that were set for D1 schools. It seemed like the more they got in Burkhead's face the harder he would run at them. That was a savvy side I had not seen of Burkhead yet, he would not go down at the end of the game.

AllenEGL

Stopped by the Plano vs Spring Westfield game on my way to watch the Big 12 championship. I left at halftimeand Burkhead had 11 carries for 90+ and three TD's. I know Plano won 31-19, but I don't know all the stats.

jared

Mentor
Good stuff watching him blow by black defenders. I hope he doesn't fall by the wayside like so many other talented white RB's.

AllenEGL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwBeetehKKc

Rex Burkhead video, Plano vs Skyline Texas 5A Quarterfinals (pass and punt return-sick nasty!)

Burkhead stats for the day:

24 for 158 rushing 1 TD

2 for 20 receiving

65 yard punt return 1 TD (this is sick!)

1 for 1 20 yards passing 1 TDEdited by: AllenEGL

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
California has offered so has North Texas and Tulsa

SteveB

Mentor
Rex's season ended tonight with a loss to Euless Trinity 30-27. Burkhead was the workhorse with 32 rushes for 157 yds and 7 rec for 24 yds. He ends the season with 1768 rushing yds (ranked 6th in the DFW area) and 29 TDs (ranked 1st in the DFW area).

One thing that is interesting is that the local (Dallas) media has been calling Rex "Superman" the last few weeks of the season, which is an unusual compliment for a white RB.

Good job Rex and we'll be watching you next year.Edited by: SteveB

SteveB

Mentor
Recruiting is heating up for Rex. Here are some articles from some of the recruiting sites.

Geoff Ketchum
Orangebloods.com 1/24/08

Mack Brown and the rest of the Texas staff are looking for a few good men.

Plano running back Rex Burkhead will be in Austin on February 10th.
As the rest of the nation scurries to fill up their recruiting class for 2008, the Longhorns are spending quite a bit of their focus this month on trying to put together a star-studded cast of invites for their first Junior Day on February 1.

With names like JaMarkus McFarland, Garrett Gilbert, Russell Shepard and Mason Walters already confirmed for the 10th, most are expecting the Longhorns to invite all of their "must-haves" on the day that they'll start to make their first wave of offers for the 2009 class.

You can now add one of the state's most productive running backs to the list, as Plano High star Rex Burkhead confirmed on Wednesday night that he'll be making the trip to Austin on February 10th.

"I'm going to Texas on the 10th and I think I might be going to Texas Tech on March 1st. I'm planning on going to that one," Burkhead said. "I've gotten a few Junior Day invites on February 2nd, but that's the date of our football banquet and I can't go to any of those. Texas is the only one that have scheduled so far."

With offers from California, North Texas and Tulsa already under his belt, Burkhead has been focused on finishing out the basketball season, but he knows that recruiting will start to occupy more of his time.

As a junior at Plano, Burkhead help lead resurgence at one of the state's most storied programs by rushing for 1,768 yards and 29 touchdowns, while adding another 523 yards and three touchdowns as a receiver. Over the course of the last two seasons, the 5-10 185-pound running back has amassed more than 4,000 yards of offense and 42 touchdowns. He is currently ranked as the state's No.48 player in the current Lone Star Recruiting Top 100 list.

January 13, 2008
No Stranger To Football
by JASON SAPP
Recruiting Analyst
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Print Version | Discuss this article |Digg This Story

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Texas high school football is known for speed and Notre Dame is trying to regain their recruiting presence in the Lone Star State.

Bringing in more speed in the backfield has been a focal point for Charlie Weis and Co., and they've shown early interest in three-sport athlete Rex Burkhead.

After moving back to running back, he had an impressive junior season and is projected to play in the backfield at the collegiate level as well.

"We went 13-2 and lost in the 5A state semifinals (30-27) in double overtime to the team that won state (Trinity)," Burkhead reported. "I had 1,700 rushing yards and 29 touchdowns and over 500 receiving yards and three touchdowns.

"I played quarterback last year because our starter got injured and we ran the option. This year we opened up to a shotgun offense so my coach moved me over to running back to get the ball in my hands more. I've played running back my whole life and that's the position that schools are recruiting me as."

Burkhead was listed as one of the 500 underclassmen expected to participate in the Army National Combine but was unable to attend because he had two district basketball games. In addition to basketball, he also runs track for his school and was the first leg of the 4x100 team last spring.

He's still in the early phase of his recruitment after the position change, but he's already receiving scholarship offers and strong interest from various programs.

"I've been offered by Cal, Tulsa, and North Texas," the 5-foot-11, 195-pound back said. "I'm getting interest from the schools in the Big XII, Alabama, Stanford, and Notre Dame. Notre Dame has been sending me letters, and my dad and I are trying to work something out to take a visit there."

While some southern prospects may be a bit weary of the northern weather, Burkhead has even hit the slopes a time or two in the Midwest.

"I'm definitely familiar with Notre Dame and all their rich tradition," he said. "They're known for being a winning program and are always in the top 25. I grew up in Kentucky and actually went skiing a few times in Indiana, so the weather doesn't bother me at all."

Burkhead comes from a family that has experience playing college football and he hopes to follow in a similar path. The main difference is while his older brother decided to play in the Ivy League to focus on the academics, Rex would like to play somewhere that could give him the opportunity to play at the professional level as well.

"My brother is playing at Harvard and sometimes studies before and after the game," he shared. "He had a few Division I-A offers but didn't want to play football after college. My dream has always been to play in the NFL. My dad played football at Eastern Kentucky and had try outs with the Miami Dolphins and Philadelphia Eagles."

Whichever route the younger Burkhead decides to take, there doesn't look to be any concerns academically as he currently carries a 3.7 GPA.

Even though he has a clear idea of what he would ultimately like to do after college, there's still plenty of time before he starts to narrow down his choices.

"I'm open to everyone right now and don't have a top five or anything like that," he said. "I'd love to take some official visits to see the campuses and the coaches to get a better perspective of how the schools are."

One school he certainly wants to see up close and personal is Notre Dame as they attempt to have more success in recruiting prospects from Texas.

AllenEGL

I was at the Allen vs Plano basketball game the other night, and we beat Plano. Burkhead had 21 points, but his pregame dunks just look unreal sometimes. You see this 5'11" white kid go up off two feet grab the ball and dunk it two hand in front and behind his head, and make it look easy. He did a one hand windmill and even our football players fans were cheering.

I also saw on Rivals that Burkhead was offered by Texas Tech to play offense.

johnnyboy

Guru
stargazer said:
I go to all the Plano Wildcat Football games. Rex is a great high school player, but that's going to be about it. He is about 2/10 of a second too slow to ever be a tailback and too small to be a fullback. He cannot turn the corner like Justin Jordan of Plano could a couple of years ago.

So let's cheer him for his outstanding success at the high school level and wish him the best going forward. He is not nearly as quick as Welker. I wish he could grow an inch or two and put on 30-40 lbs, he'd make a pretty good out side linebacker. Sorry to all the Plano fans (which I am one) but let's enjoy the ride and not put such hype, like referring to him as "Superman".

His dream is to make it to the NFL...Dat Nguyen made it...and I see him in that kind of postion. Good luck Rex

are we talking about the same guy? he seems real fast on his video clips. i hope you're wrong man. if chris markey and chauncey washington can be div 1 scholarship backs then i think rex deserves atleast that.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
stargazer said:
I go to all the Plano Wildcat Football games. Rex is a great high school player, but that's going to be about it. He is about 2/10 of a second too slow to ever be a tailback and too small to be a fullback. He cannot turn the corner like Justin Jordan of Plano could a couple of years ago.

So let's cheer him for his outstanding success at the high school level and wish him the best going forward. He is not nearly as quick as Welker. I wish he could grow an inch or two and put on 30-40 lbs, he'd make a pretty good out side linebacker. Sorry to all the Plano fans (which I am one) but let's enjoy the ride and not put such hype, like referring to him as "Superman".

His dream is to make it to the NFL...Dat Nguyen made it...and I see him in that kind of postion. Good luck Rex

I think you're wrong. Mike Hart ran a 4.67 and is still considered a top 10 RB in this draft for the NFL level by most. Rex Burkhead ran a 4.55 in H.S which is plenty fast for college. Jermie Calhoun the consensus number 2 RB for this years H.S graduating class only clocked a 4.62 at the Scout.com combine. A time under 4.7 is sufficient to play RB in college if you have the quickness and lateral mobility which Rex has. And as I said Rex runs a 4.55.

White Power

Mentor
Tough John Riggans I am ashamed don't you know that a brotha's 4.7 is faster than a white mans 4.5. At least thats what the dumb press would have you beleive, and what about hip swivel lets not forget a white man can turn the corner like a brotha who has extensive training of hip movements running from the police lol.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Good point. Thats probably exactly right:

Generally there is about a .2 second penalty on 40 times for the white man.

Case 1: Mike Hass runs a 4.59 and is a 6th round draft pick. Anquan Boldin runs a 4.72 and is a 2nd round draft pick while both had similar stats, playing styles etc.

Case 2: Adarius Bowman runs a 4.7 and Jordy Nelson runs a 4.49. Nelson has vastly superior stats as well and more upside being relatively new to the WR position. Yet some sites like "Black Power FootballsFuture.com" still project Bowman as a much better player.

Case 3: Mario Manningham runs a 4.59 and is expected to be a 2nd round draft pick while Jordy Nelson, who has better stats, size and a .1 better 40 time is expected to be drafted about a half round behind Manningham by most sites.

Case 4: Danny Amendola runs a 4.64 (He isn't much slower than Manningham and is a great route runner like Manningham, but even better) and Amendola has been compared to Welker for his short area burst. Amendola had similar stats to Manningham albeit in a pass happy offense and isn't even expected to be drafted.

Case 5: Todd Blythe runs a 4.61 and has great size for a WR (6'5) and despite struggling with injuries has put up impressive stats at Iowa State becoming their all-time leading WR and going for 1000 yards as a sophomore. Blythe is a very impressive route runner who is very physical going after the ball. So you would think he'd be about a 3rd round selection right? Well, he will be likely a 7th rounder at best.

Case 6: Manningham projected to go in the 2nd round while Hass who had similar production, same size, same 40 time and is as good of a route runner as Manningham went in the 6th round...All these comparison's are exhausting me, but you get the picture...
smiley11.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Rex has been listed at Safety by most of these "brilliant" recruiting sites (for instance he's ranked 33rd at Safety by Scout.com). I think Rex would make a stellar RB though!Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

SteveB

Mentor
It's pretty incredible how out of touch the recruiting sites are sometimes. Every article that I have read about Rex says that almost every school is recruiting him to be a RUNNING BACK, not a safety.

Coach4sure

stargazer said:

His dream is to make it to the NFL...Dat Nguyen made it...aund I see him in that kind of postion. Good luck Rex.

Not sure which games stargazer been to, but not any of those I have seen for the last three years, much less the 7 on 7 I have also watched Rex compete in. Oh, by the way i haven't missed a game or 7 on 7 tournament the last 3 years.

If a legitimate 4.5 40 time, 3.8 shuttle timeand a 38" VL is too slow to play college ball, guess a whole lot of kids out there today don't belong.

Hehaswell over 2 dozenDiv 1 offers,several more on the way andvirtually allfor RB, guess maybe he's got alittle potential, don'tya think stargazer?

Whoever is fortunate enough to land Rex will get a great athlete and great football player which is quite evident to everyone but stargazer. Beyond that they will get a great student and an extremely hard working kid, who is as humble as any athlete you will meet at any level.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
offers
Alabama&nbsp ;Yes
Auburn Yes
California Yes
Kansas Yes
LSU Yes
Texas No
Texas Tech Yes

Out of Rex's favorite choices I think his best chance to become a 1st or 2nd team RB would be in order
#1 Kansas: (Rex will probably "be clearly better" than any RB on their roster after Jake Sharp leaves and hopefully the felon Crawford disappoints and then moves on)

#2 LSU: (He would have other guys to battle with on the roster with similarly elite talent, but Les Miles seems like he is relatively fair to white skill players, so if Burkhead "clearly" shows he's the best, he should start)

#3 California: (A caste program, but they recruited Sam McGuffie hard and I think it would be a better choice than SEC caste whores Auburn, who screwed Tre Smith royally and Alabama with Nick "The Prick" Saban)

#4 Texas Tech: (He would definitely have an inside track for the starting runner spot right away here, but they are a pass happy offense and might try to convert him to slot WR, I hope he doesn't choose Tech if he wants a chance at the NFL at RB)

Texas hasn't offered yet, true to their caste whore Vince Youngaphile ways!

Do you guys agree with my analysis. What school should Rex pick?