Ramifications of Lions Trade

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Lions recently traded CB Dre Bly to the Broncos for RB Tatum Bell and tackle George Foster. Bly and Bell have been the main topic of conversation, but Foster could end up being the fly in the ointment from a CF standpoint.

Foster was a big-time flop in Denver, a slow, often penalized sumo on an otherwise smallish and effective line. But Jeremy Green
smiley8.gif
of ESPN Insider writes that with the acquisition of Foster, the Lions may now not draft tackle Joe Thomas with the second pick of the first round, as just about everyone is assuming. Instead, they may draft WR Calvin Johnson.

That of course would give them Johnson, the most coveted receiver in years, to go along with Roy Williams. That would instantly result in Mike Furrey seeing his productivity go way down. And if the Lions sign Kevin Curtis, as seems to be the prevailing wisdom, both Curtis and Furrey could be afterthoughts in Detroit's offense.

I haven't wanted to see Curtis and Furrey be on the same team anyway because one would hurt the value of the other. Now that the Lions have George Foster, it's imperative that Curtis sign with someone other than Detroit, because if they end up drafting Calvin Johnson, he'll be screwed.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Good analysis Don. Let's just hope Kevin Curtis signs somewhere else. His relationship with Mike Martz may hurt him in making the right career decision. There's no way any NFL team is going to let two white wr's catch more than 75 balls in a season. Either Furry rides the bench or Curtis will.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
I can't see them adding both Curtis and Johnson to theyr payroll since I'm sure Curtis will command a nice deal... I'm hoping he ends up in Minnesota but not sure if they are looking at him or not...

jared

Mentor
Really doubt that will happen. Even if Mike Williams doesn't get cut before training camp, that would still be WAY too much money tied up in just the wide receiver position. It looks like WR Shaun MacDonald is following Kevin Curtis to Detroit so the Lions should be set at WR with Williams, Curtis, Furrey, and MacDonald (probably in that depth chart order). All indications seem to be that Lions are trying to trade down in the draft.

Triad

Mentor
I don't think the Lions passing game was the problem last year. Plus, I can't see them wasting another #1 draft pick on an athletic, can't miss wide receiver. But I'm not nearly as smart as Matt Millen.

Poacher

Mentor
Detroit is not going to draft another wide receiver, especially after they just signed Furrey to a new three year deal. I think they will go defense in the first round. Like I said before, no one predicted the Sims pick last year. I see Marianelli making the same kind of pick this year, probably a defensive end or DB. But this is all just spit-balling until draft day.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Would be very surprised if the Lions took another receiver in the first round. Too risky, he could get injured or just be a bust and the SHTF for Millen (don't ask me why it hasn't already). I think they will trade down. If they keep the pick why not select Adrian Peterson (we know Leonard is better but he'd never go that high). Kevin Jones is getting to be oft-injured and two good backs is better then none. I think the aquisition of Bell is just insurance. They needed to move Bly (he's a cancer on the team) and wanted to get the most they could for him.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
I think they will trade down. If they keep the pick why not select Adrian Peterson (we know Leonard is better but he'd never go that high). Kevin Jones is getting to be oft-injured and two good backs is better then none. I think the aquisition of Bell is just insurance. They needed to move Bly (he's a cancer on the team) and wanted to get the most they could for him.

I hate to say it, but I personally think Leonard is the second best RB in this draft. I think Peterson is a very "rare" talent. He was injured (which always seems to cause whites to lose draft stock, but barley moves blacks) though and I don't know if he will bounce back. Getting back to the Lions, I hope if the Lions get Curtis also that he starts and Furrey moves to the slot in the third spot. I think Curtis would be utilized better starting. Maybe the Lions will start all three WR's instead of a TE. Martz loves multiple WR sets!

P.S: 3. Mershawn Lynch, 4.Michael Bush and 5.Kenny Irons are good too and may be all drafted ahead of Leonard based on college production, even though I think Leonard is better. Thanks a lot Shiano for hurting Leonard's draft stock!
smiley7.gif

I'd be very surprised to see any other HB's go ahead of him even in the pro-caste NFL. Tony Hunt is grotesquely overrated!