Questions Surround ESPN's NBA Latino Power Ranking

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
ESPN is ranking "latino's" in the NBA. All fine, but when we rank whites we're horrible nasty racists. Predictably there is some argument as to who is "latino".

(article)
But ESPN's list is just weird in terms of inclusion and exclusion.

The rankings include Spaniards like Marc Gasol and Jose Calderon -- players with no connection to Latin America, whose only basis for inclusion would be that they speak Spanish. Certainly you wouldn't place Picasso on top of a list of top Latino painters, right?

At the same time, the list excludes players legitimately born and bred in Latin America, like Guadeloupe's Mickael Pietrus and Rodrigue Beaubois. The only apparent justification for the exclusion is that their homeland speaks a language other than Spanish. (Guadeloupe is a French territory in the Caribbean. I would argue that in terms of global identity, Pietrus has as much in common with Carlos Arroyo than Boris Diaw.) Heck, Haitian-born Samuel Dalembert was born on the same island as the included Al Horford and Francisco Garcia, but didn't make the cut as he came up on the French side.

If it's a Spanish language issue -- which it appears to be, considering the inclusion of the Gasols and Calderon -- why are Brazilians included? Obviously, a "top Latino" list without Leandro Barbosa and Nene would draw guffaws, but the weird, unexplained definition used by ESPN forces these sorts of questions. If Portugal ever produces an NBA player, will he make the cut?

As such, for a more robust Latin American list, make sure to add Pietrus, Beaubois, Dalembert, Jamaican-born Ronny Turiaf and Adonal Foyle (born in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines) to ESPN's power rankings.

The most bothersome mystery in all this, though, is the exclusion of American-born Latinos like Carmelo Anthony and Trevor Ariza. Queens-born Charlie Villanueva leads the power rankings this week, with his inclusion based on being a first-generation American born to Dominican parents. (And also, assumedly, based on the fact that Villanueva played for the D.R. last summer in FIBA action.)

Questions Surround ESPN's NBA Latino Power Rankings
smiley5.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
More propoganda from the media. I am sure they will find a way to get more Latin Americans into the league very soon. The number of American whites in the NBA has dropped alot in the past 10 years. While I love the fact that there are alot of Slavic whites in the league now all that has happened is that they have replaced the Americans. Heck some of the media doesn't even consider them white.

whiteathlete33 said:
More propoganda from the media.  I am sure they will find a way to get more Latin Americans into the league very soon.  The number of American whites in the NBA has dropped alot in the past 10  years.  While I love the fact that there are alot of Slavic whites in the league now all that has happened is that they have replaced the Americans.  Heck some of the media doesn't even consider them white. 

Hey I think it takes time to rebound. White kids certainly have a lot more look up to seeing Dirk Nowitzki playing than Lebron James. Also, 2x MVP Steve Nash is from USA North. I don't think very many people even realize he's from Canada. Seeing white players, North American and European, I'm sure inspires some white kids to play. I have a feeling that we'll see more Tyler Hansbroughs, Kevin Loves, J.J. Reddicks, and Steve Blakes in the future!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Yes but in the 90's you had white stars like Bird, Mullin, and Gugliotta. The closest thing we have to a white american star right now is Chris Kaman and David Lee.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Last I checked, Spain isn't a Latino country. So Calderon, and the Gasols shouldn't be close to being on this list.

The dictionary definition of Latino is -

a person of Latin-American or Spanish-speaking descent.

Latino refers to country of origin and not to race. Blacks, whites, mestizo and pure natives can all be latino. So ESPN can refer to people from Spanish speaking countries if it wants but that should not include Brazilians and should include Americans born from parents of a spanish speaking country.

DONT let anyone tell you that sportsmen like Gasol and Calderon are not white because they are Latino. They are Latino AND white! This term is horribly misused and works against whites as used wrongly it excludes many great sportsmen from the white category.

Spain, Argentina, Chile and Uruguay have over 200 million latino whites between them!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Access, irregardless of a dictionary definition...I don't personally consider Spaniards or Portugese "Latinos", but (instead) Europeans.

j41181

Master
That's a very misguided list I see there (I'm so slow at times, why did I not see this earlier?)

Carmelo Anthony is not Latino (Puerto Rican father), while Mark Anthony is.... crazy!

To put it simple...Portugal, Spain, and France are European countries that have Latin Language and Culture. So it's more correct to consider folks from those countries as European, as oppose to Latino.

Being Latino is strictly from the Americas (Central & South America, Caribbean). Latino or Hispanic is NOT a race, it's a cultural identity, that has many similarities to both Spain and Portugal in terms of Language and Religion. What separates Latinos to Spaniards & Portuguese is their their culture, their pre-Colombian culture (Aztec, Maya, Olmec, etc..). Still, there are so many Latino WHITES in both Latin America, and Anglo-America (USA & Canada), best examples are the Lopez Twins (Brooke & Robin), Cameron Diaz, Charlie & Martin Sheen, Emilio Estevez, Andy Garcia, Eduardo Najera, Fidel Castro, Ricky Martin, Mark Anthony, etc....

It's the darn stupid moronic media that's giving the Latino/Hispanic terms racial values, making them as much as possible distinct and different from Anglo-Whites, when in fact, there is a lot in common between the two in BLOOD and CULTURE. The only difference I see is the language and religion, but they are all from Europe altogether.

Anglo-Whites and Hispanic Whites are simply WHITE, they are all from Europe.

j41181 said:
That's a very misguided list I see there (I'm so slow at times, why did I not see this earlier?)

Carmelo Anthony is not Latino (Puerto Rican father), while Mark Anthony is.... crazy!

To put it simple...Portugal, Spain, and France are European countries that have Latin Language and Culture. So it's more correct to consider folks from those countries as European, as oppose to Latino.

Being Latino is strictly from the Americas (Central & South America, Caribbean). Latino or Hispanic is NOT a race, it's a cultural identity, that has many similarities to both Spain and Portugal in terms of Language and Religion. What separates Latinos to Spaniards & Portuguese is their their culture, their pre-Colombian culture (Aztec, Maya, Olmec, etc..). Still, there are so many Latino WHITES in both Latin America, and Anglo-America (USA & Canada), best examples are the Lopez Twins (Brooke & Robin), Cameron Diaz, Charlie & Martin Sheen, Emilio Estevez, Andy Garcia, Eduardo Najera, Fidel Castro, Ricky Martin, Mark Anthony, etc....

It's the darn stupid moronic media that's giving the Latino/Hispanic terms racial values, making them as much as possible distinct and different from Anglo-Whites, when in fact, there is a lot in common between the two in BLOOD and CULTURE. The only difference I see is the language and religion, but they are all from Europe altogether.

Anglo-Whites and Hispanic Whites are simply WHITE, they are all from Europe.

agreed - by narrowing the definition of whites in this way it gives more fodder to the 'whites cant play sports' brigade. for instance, to say that Nadal vs federer is white vs latino/hispanic is ridiculous. its white vs white! there are SOO many amazing white sportsmen and women from spanish speaking countries that many north americans would consider another race. This is great for blacks too - as by dividing the whites that puts them in an even more superior position in sports.

note - mexico has very few white people in it (i think its 15%). the rest are metzitos...so when talking about mexicans its usually safe to safe they arent white.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Who the heck considers Haitans and Jamaicans to be "Latinos"...??

And I doubt any "Latino group" is trying to "claim" Adonal Foyle... haha