Pittsburgh Steelers General Thread

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
To give an early update on the Steelers' LB battle, Cole Holcomb is getting lots of good pub and is set as the only three down linebacker. The only issue with him is whether his foot injury from last season is completely healed and will hold up.

Rookie Nick Herbig is also getting lots of favorable coverage and has a good chance to start the season as the top back-up at OLB. He's behind Watt and Highsmith, both entrenched starters so it will take an injury for him to see a lot of playing time for this season and maybe beyond. There's still the pretty good possibility that he may eventually be moved inside.

Things don't look nearly as promising for Tanner Muse and Nick Kwiatkoski. An article in today's Post-Gazette says Nick is behind Holcomb, Elandon Roberts, newly signed Kwon Alexander, and second year player Mark Robinson. Muse isn't even mentioned in the pecking order, being described merely as a "special teams maven," an ominous sign that if he makes the team it'll be only as a WSTD. Pittsburgh sports writers traditionally spin narratives the coaching staff and front office want spun, so don't get your hopes up too much for Muse and Kwiatkoski, though it's still early in training camp. As I mentioned above (post #187), having three White starting LBs is most likely a bridge too far for the Tomlin regime, but injuries and the ups and downs of the season always spurs changes. As of today, thanks to the signing of the now mediocre Alexander, it's unlikely both Muse and Kwiatkoski make the final roster.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think Gunner is still a longshot to get much playing time as a receiver, but praise like this from Kenny Pickett sure can't hurt:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Steelers signed FB John Lovett to fill the void left by Pottebaum.
Even if one of our guys moved on at least John Lovett gets his time to shine. I miss old time football with huge fullbacks and power
running backs just plowing over people. The Steelers are getting a little more white friendly the last few years abut it still amazes me
that they continue to support this coach. He has been average but he hasn't taken them to the next level. For most coach's you get fired.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
In Derek Watt's three seasons with Pittsburgh, he had a total of 22 yards rushing and 14 yards receiving. 36 total yards, or 12 yards per season. The Steelers' FB is a WSTD who occasionally comes in to block, nothing more.

Warhawk_46

Master
In Derek Watt's three seasons with Pittsburgh, he had a total of 22 yards rushing and 14 yards receiving. 36 total yards, or 12 yards per season. The Steelers' FB is a WSTD who occasionally comes in to block, nothing more.
It is crazy to know how much the Steelers paid for Watt and then hardly used him: Watt could easily get 3-4 rushes and receptions per game and produce sizable chunks of yardage. He should have been their goal line back as well. A total waste of three years, if you ask me. And now he remains unsigned.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It is crazy to know how much the Steelers paid for Watt and then hardly used him: Watt could easily get 3-4 rushes and receptions per game and produce sizable chunks of yardage. He should have been their goal line back as well. A total waste of three years, if you ask me. And now he remains unsigned.
I've posted before my belief that Watt could be a capable power runner who averages 4.5 yards per carry. Why not, given his brute strength and that of his two superstar brothers? Only in a caste system such as the U.S. has would the brother of two all-time greats be completely wasted as a special teams player and human blocking dummy rather than be properly used at a "verboten" position.

At the very least, why wouldn't you want to find out what he can do? At 6'2" and 234 he's only a little bigger than the biggest tailbacks, actually lesser in weight than Fournette and Stephenson. Also, J.J. and T.J. are both fast and shifty, why wouldn't Derek be also at a considerably lesser weight? He could shed weight down to 220 or so and still be an effective power runner, but only in his granddaddy's NFL, not today's.

Rocky B

Master
I've posted before my belief that Watt could be a capable power runner who averages 4.5 yards per carry. Why not, given his brute strength and that of his two superstar brothers? Only in a caste system such as the U.S. has would the brother of two all-time greats be completely wasted as a special teams player and human blocking dummy rather than be properly used at a "verboten" position.

At the very least, why wouldn't you want to find out what he can do? At 6'2" and 234 he's only a little bigger than the biggest tailbacks, actually lesser in weight than Fournette and Stephenson. Also, J.J. and T.J. are both fast and shifty, why wouldn't Derek be also at a considerably lesser weight? He could shed weight down to 220 or so and still be an effective power runner, but only in his granddaddy's NFL, not today's.
He probably should have been on D all through college....

Fullback is mostly a wasted position

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
He probably should have been on D all through college....

Fullback is mostly a wasted position
Yeah, that would've made sense considering his brothers. . . his NFL career has been a waste, though maybe he doesn't view it that way and he may be happy with the money he makes (or made as he's still unsigned). I don't think many White football players are anywhere near as aware of the Caste System as we are. That being said I'm not trying to start another discussion on that topic. The Carson Palmer nonsense from a number of years ago permanently exhausted my patience for that. ;)

Bucky

Hall of Famer
He played both ways in HS, was a capable LB. Given his status as a WSTD I’m sure he could give you good reps at LB if the room was ever depleted.

Agreed total waste of Derek Watt. OCs are so unimaginative with Fullbacks. It’s ridiculous. It ain’t rocket science. Give capable FBs a few Carries/catches a game could be a real game changer. Make the Defense play assignment football and account for the big back!

Warhawk_46

Master

Derek started as a linebacker at UW before he switched to fullback. He is plenty fast and athletic enough to do very well running the ball. So many of our guys were wasted: Hester, Nall, Ripkowski, Zenner, Gerhart, Leonard; I’ll even argue Burkhead and Woodhead were wasted.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Derek started as a linebacker at UW before he switched to fullback. He is plenty fast and athletic enough to do very well running the ball. So many of our guys were wasted: Hester, Nall, Ripkowski, Zenner, Gerhart, Leonard; I’ll even argue Burkhead and Woodhead were wasted.
They're just the tip of a huge iceberg. They at least made it to the NFL albeit mostly as fullbacks and WSTDs who were screwed over. So many other capable White RBs never got a sniff of the NFL. The number literally is easily in the hundreds over the past 40 years, and then there's all the White high school RBs who were never recruited who should have been, or if they were recruited were forced to change positions.

There has been a small uptick in guys getting a chance to run the ball in FBS programs the past couple of years, but there's also been an uptick in White receivers for years now but few get drafted or otherwise get a genuine opportunity in the NFL. Almost all the roadblocks put in place over the past two generations are still there, though we've certainly made more people aware of what's going on.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
They're just the tip of a huge iceberg. They at least made it to the NFL albeit mostly as fullbacks and WSTDs who were screwed over. So many other capable White RBs never got a sniff of the NFL. The number literally is easily in the hundreds over the past 40 years, and then there's all the White high school RBs who were never recruited who should have been, , or if they were recruited were forced to change positions.

There has been a small uptick in guys getting a chance to run the ball in FBS programs the past couple of years, but there's also been an uptick in White receivers for years now but few get drafted or otherwise get a genuine opportunity in the NFL. Almost all the roadblocks put in place over the past two generations are still there, though we've certainly made more people aware of what's going on.

I've noticed more running backs at the college level without a doubt. Yes a few more receivers but the running back position has been
alot more positive. LIke you said though it's only good if they can eventually play on Sunday. We must continue to spread the word. These
young men deserve a chance at not only scholarships but also to play pro football someday.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Nick Herbig continues to get great media coverage. He doesn't have a path to a starting position this season barring injury to T. J. Watt or Alex Highsmith, but he'll probably get more snaps than originally forecast as a dynamic rotational piece. He's been close to unstoppable as a rusher, a mini-Watt.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Mark Madden was talking about the Steelers' terrible black punter yesterday on his show and why they haven't released him, again mentioning "the agenda that dare not speak its name." But an hour or so later Harvin was finally waived. He was wildly inconsistent and generally bad. I think he was the only black punter in the league.

Steelers released P Pressley Harvin.
Harvin played in 15 games for the Steelers last season and has spent the last three seasons with the team. The former seventh-round draft pick averaged 39.1 net yards per punt last season, which ranked amongst the lowest in the league, and had a PFF grade of 50.1. Far from the best punter the league has to offer, teams are constantly looking to create punter competition in training camp. We’d expect Harvin to join a team at some point this offseason and compete for a job. In addition to Harvin, the Steelers also released offensive tackle Chukwuma Okorafor.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Mark Madden was talking about the Steelers' terrible black punter yesterday on his show and why they haven't released him, again mentioning "the agenda that dare not speak its name." But an hour or so later Harvin was finally waived. He was wildly inconsistent and generally bad. I think he was the only black punter in the league.

Steelers released P Pressley Harvin.
Harvin played in 15 games for the Steelers last season and has spent the last three seasons with the team. The former seventh-round draft pick averaged 39.1 net yards per punt last season, which ranked amongst the lowest in the league, and had a PFF grade of 50.1. Far from the best punter the league has to offer, teams are constantly looking to create punter competition in training camp. We’d expect Harvin to join a team at some point this offseason and compete for a job. In addition to Harvin, the Steelers also released offensive tackle Chukwuma Okorafor.
I'm surprised that the Rooney plantation kicked the only diverse punter in the league off of the team. Seems pretty rayciss to me. There ARE a few uber-diverse teams in the league that might bring him in to compete with fingers crossed of course. Big news in the press release though is that teams now have the opportunity to sign a Chukwuma. Can't be very many of those in the league.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There's lots of contradictory rumors circulating regarding Kenny Pickett. Some articles claim he's still solidly entrenched to at least start the '24 season, which Tomlin recently proclaimed, while others claim some in the Rooney Plantation want to see Mason Rudolph annointed the starter so that they have a better chance of resigning him as Rudolph is a free agent just as he was last offseason. Other articles see the team signing Ryan Tannehill or Justin Fields as a backup who can provide Pickett with competition, while some want the team to again draft a QB in the first round, two years after taking Pickett.

I will say that Pickett needs to show significant improvement if he does start the '24 season, otherwise he'll be benched and treated as a bust. There have been extenuating circumstances the past two years, such as injuries and the team having a poor offensive coordinator and woeful offensive scheme, but Pickett has also looked outmatched, not reading defenses well and often being inaccurate, so if he gets another chance to start he needs to cash in right from the beginning of the season.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
There's lots of contradictory rumors circulating regarding Kenny Pickett. Some articles claim he's still solidly entrenched to at least start the '24 season, which Tomlin recently proclaimed, while others claim some in the Rooney Plantation want to see Mason Rudolph annointed the starter so that they have a better chance of resigning him as Rudolph is a free agent just as he was last offseason. Other articles see the team signing Ryan Tannehill or Justin Fields as a backup who can provide Pickett with competition, while some want the team to again draft a QB in the first round, two years after taking Pickett.

I will say that Pickett needs to show significant improvement if he does start the '24 season, otherwise he'll be benched and treated as a bust. There have been extenuating circumstances the past two years, such as injuries and the team having a poor offensive coordinator and woeful offensive scheme, but Pickett has also looked outmatched, not reading defenses well and often being inaccurate, so if he gets another chance to start he needs to cash in right from the beginning of the season.
Pickett is the latest White QB to be attacked by the sports media. His career was hampered by a mediocre offensive coordinator and when he was fired Pickett ends up getting injured soon after. He joins Darnold, Mayfield, Wilson and others that face waves of misdirected criticism that should be spread through out organizations but the White QB now becomes the biggest target for the ire of media and DWFs.

I stand by my argument that the Steelers organization has done nothing to help Pickett and it sounds like Pittsburgh is wanting a black qb like Russell Wilson or Justin fields to come be their savior.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Steelers could have an all sumo line in '24 depending on how they handle the center position after releasing their starter the past two seasons:

Steelers released C Mason Cole. The Steelers entered the offseason with problems at center, which can be directly linked back to Cole, who started all 34 regular season games for them over the last two seasons. With Cole now gone, it goes without saying that the Steelers will officially look to address the center position this offseason via either the draft or free agency. The release of Cole saves the Steelers roughly $4.75 million in cap space for 2024.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
BSPN wants them to trade for Fields. Maybe they should with that **** hole OL.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
BSPN wants them to trade for Fields. Maybe they should with that **** hole OL.
Yeah, it's interesting because new offensive coordinator Arthur Smith wants to feature a strong rushing attack, as he did in Atlanta (he may not have had a choice given how bad Ridder is). But they won't have a good ground game without capable blockers. Tomlin may want Fields to be their running QB, hoping that opens things up for Harris and Warren. We shall see what happens in free agency and the draft. But if they don't address their woeful line it won't matter who the QB is.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Yeah, it's interesting because new offensive coordinator Arthur Smith wants to feature a strong rushing attack, as he did in Atlanta (he may not have had a choice given how bad Ridder is). But they won't have a good ground game without capable blockers. Tomlin may want Fields to be their running QB, hoping that opens things up for Harris and Warren. We shall see what happens in free agency and the draft. But if they don't address their woeful line it won't matter who the QB is.

Nothing in Fields 3 years of starting has shown he is a capable franchise QB. He is erratic as a passer, makes costly turnovers at the most inopportune times and is 11-29 as a starting QB. Not trying to attack you Don! Just get frustrated seeing the same BS script play out again. You are totally onpoint with your assessment of the Steelers garbage o-line too. The Steelers early offseason moves thus far have been to scapegoat White players in Trubisky and Mason Cole while maintaining the black garbage status quo.

Nothing in Fields 3 years of starting has shown he is a capable franchise QB. He is erratic as a passer, makes costly turnovers at the most inopportune times and is 11-29 as a starting QB. Not trying to attack you Don! Just get frustrated seeing the same BS script play out again. You are totally onpoint with your assessment of the Steelers garbage o-line too. The Steelers early offseason moves thus far have been to scapegoat White players in Trubisky and Mason Cole while maintaining the black garbage status quo.
As a reluctant Bear fan, I can say that Fields is garbage. He can run, and he can win some games by scrambling, but he's an absolutely terrible passer. I believe he took longer than any NFL qb to throw the ball this year. Can't make reads. Locks onto 1 wr. Makes tons of turnovers. He will get injured trying to run the ball so much. Fields can win some games by running, but he's not a good qb at all. The nuthuggers in Chicago love him though; however, they are now ready to move on so they can begin their worship of Caleb Williams, who in my opinion is almost guaranteed to bust, but Chicago nuthuggers think he's the next mahomes. Maye is not even in consideration for Bears fans with the top pick because he is "boring white guy". And I strongly suspect that the Bears GM is another black racist so I would be shocked if they pass on C. Williams. Poles seems like he wants to build a team of bruthas.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't defending Fields, just sharing some of the rumors and possible moves the Steelers might make. And unless or until Fields becomes a Steeler, discussion about him belongs in the Bears forum.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Terry Bradshaw gives a strong defense of Kenny Pickett and says it would be a mistake to trade for Fields. Bradshaw used to be as bad as any of them when it came to singing the praises of Black QBs -- he used to wax poetic about their "God-given gifts" as apparently White QBs get their abilities elsewhere -- so this is encouraging. And Bradshaw was the ultimate late bloomer; he would be written off as a bust today as it took him five seasons to begin to become a top-tier quarterback, so he knows what he's talking about when it comes to Pickett's slow development thus far.

Terry Bradshaw staunchly defends Kenny Pickett, changes tune on Arthur Smith​