Peyton Hillis

bigunreal

Mentor
This was a great season. Let's hope it's not a mere blip on the radar, with things returning to "normal" next season. At any rate, Mangini being fired cannot be good news for Peyton Hillis.

warhawk46

Guru
Hey, everyone! Been reading this site for quite some time now, but figured it was time to post.<div>I've been encouraged by the progress white athletes have made in the NFL this year, especially at the running back position. However, I am very concerned Hillis, even after such a phenomenal campaign in 2010, will be relegated to getting secondary carries again now that caste-whore Holmgren got rid of the fair Mangini.</div><div>
</div><div>Some Browns fans don't think Hillis will be shafted; I feel they are naive. Go to the Browns boards on bspn.com and check out the thread I started titled "Hillis is underrated"</div><div>
</div><div>
</div>

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Comparing Hillis totals to Maurice Jones Drew when Pro Bowl rosters were announced after week 16 Hillis' total offensive yards were within SINGLE digits of MJD (basically identical). Hillis equaled MJD's YPC in a tougher situation with little receiving threats to open things up and 8 guys being put in the box against him and playing in a division with top notch defenses where he was the most efficient back over Ray Rice, Mendenhall, and Benson. The offensive play calling wasn't good either. Hillis had more TDs than MJD and was more vital to his team getting wins. I think Hillis should have been the third RB invited with Foster and Charles for the AFC team.

Guys don't get too worried about Mangini not being there. Hillis is popular with Browns fans and was voted team MVP and is even ADVERTISED ON THE WEBSITE IN THE TICKET SALES SECTION. Even if Cowher comes in the worst I see happening to Hillis if he stays healthy is around 200 carries next year (unless he is chronically fumbling). Even the worst case scenario carries wise will still give him a shot at 1,000 yards rushing if the offense improves.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Tough, you certainly make a good point. Hillis is definitely a fan favorite in Cleveland and he should be in line to receive at least 200 carries like you said. The DWF's seem to always support the white underdog. He could easily become the Wayne Chrebet of Cleveland. Chrebet was always everyone's favorite Jet when he played.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Electric Slide said:
Colonel_Reb said:
white is right said:
Hillis was named an alternate for the Pro Bowl today. It probably means he will play as MJD looks like he is out for the rest of the season.
Well, that is some</font> consolation.

To all my fellow CasteFootballers, please don't take offense at this. What Peyton Hillis did this year was monumental in every imaginable way. 2010 will be looked at as a huge turning point year when we talk about the emergence and waning of the caste system.

That being said, Hillis leading the league in fumbles, however they may have occurred, probably hurt his consideration as an All-Pro running back. If he eighty-sixes this problem, Hillis will rightfully take his place among the elite NFL players next year!

That's a good point, but I still say that only 5 of the 8 fumbles were his fault or preventable after watching him avidly this season. Still it is an issue he needs to correct as he would still be among the league leaders in that category. With the offense improving next year Hillis should break off more 20 yard runs, average an even more impressive YPC than he already did- and could make the Pro Bowl out right. Let's not be too self defeating and see what happens. McDaniels credibility was hurt by denying Hillis an opportunity and the same questions could be asked even with an acclaimed coach like Bill Cowher.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
Tough, you certainly make a good point.  Hillis is definitely a fan favorite in Cleveland and he should be in line to receive at least 200 carries like you said.   The DWF's seem to always support the white underdog.  He could easily become the Wayne Chrebet of Cleveland.  Chrebet was always everyone's favorite Jet when he played.

It takes the DWFs longer to warm to a white player than a black player for sure, but once they do they become team "underdog" favourites ie. John Lynch and Alstott in Tampa, Wayne Cherbet in NY, Woodhead in NE (Even at mid-season this year I saw posts on Patriot message boards saying Woodhead was a product of the system and still had work to do to prove as valuable as Faulk- but by the end of the season the great majority of fans admitted they hadn't missed a beat without Faulk and Woodhead was faster). They always have to do MUCH more to prove themselves though to get proper credit.

Edited to add: Plus average white offensive NFL talents like John Standeford don't stick in the league for years as 2nd-3rd WRs like a black WR would. Average white NFL talents are quickly recycled from the NFL and don't become "respected veterans".Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
warhawk46 said:
Hey, everyone! Been reading this site for quite some time now, but figured it was time to post.
I've been encouraged by the progress white athletes have made in the NFL this year, especially at the running back position. However, I am very concerned Hillis, even after such a phenomenal campaign in 2010, will be relegated to getting secondary carries again now that caste-whore Holmgren got rid of the fair Mangini.

Some Browns fans don't think Hillis will be shafted; I feel they are naive. Go to the Browns boards on bspn.com and check out the thread I started titled "Hillis is underrated"
Welcome to the board, warhawk46!. I ran through some of the responses on the thread by other posters, and for the most part, it looks like their replies were on the order of "yeah, right". They don't appear to think that Hillis is going to be anything but a starting halfback, although they do parrot the "wearing down" mantra that the castemedia has pushed.

Here is the link, if anyone else wants to check out warhawk46's thread...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Just keep in mind that Hillis was a "fan favorite" in Denver also, and a lot of good it did him there in 2009 after Eminem's little brother was hired. With Caste whore Holmgren already in charge, if he hires a coach that thinks like he does, I will be very concerned about how Hillis will be used in 2011 and beyond. He should be a free agent after '11 though, assuming he signed a four-year rookie deal, so if he gets shafted in Cleveland there's a possibility at least of another team signing him to be their starter. Edited by: Don Wassall

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Next season certainly will be an interesting one. First of all, it's possible that a lockout takes place. After that fact we need to see how Hillis is treated. I'm cautious too Don. I'm just hoping that afflete Hardesty doesn't become the starter if he's healthy.

TheAnimal

Guru
ToughJ.Riggins said:
It takes the DWFs longer to warm to a white player than a black player

Interestingly it didn't take long in Cleveland. Pretty much after his first came and presser when he thanked the staff and Cleveland for giving him an opportunity to prove himself he became the fan favorite.

Alot of it had to do with the great timing, the LeBron James fiasco no doubt played a big part. On that hand you had ultra affletic black afflete, handed H1 Hummers and mansions in the 10th grade, a local product comprised of hype coddled and made a supastar by the hometown team. When money came calling he scheduled an hour special to announce "homie gettin' paid" and left town.

Thankfully that happened right before Hillis broke out because once he did? Fans found their hero, the humble white guy appreciative of his shot and wanting to carry Cleveland sports on his back. I think had LJ not gave "the hometown" the middle finger it probably would have taken the DWF's a long time to open up to Hillis.

TheAnimal

Guru
Don Wassall said:
Just keep in mind that Hillis was a "fan favorite" in Denver also, and a lot of good it did him there in 2009 after Eminem's little brother was hired. With Caste whore Holmgren already in charge, if he hires a coach that thinks like he does, I will be very concerned about how Hillis will be used in 2011 and beyond. He should be a free agent after '11 though, assuming he signed a four-year rookie deal, so if he gets shafted in Cleveland there's a possibility at least of another team signing him to be their starter.

Worth noting is Lawrence Vickers is a free agent this year so it is a possibility Holmgrens future caste lackey parts ways with him and moves Hillis to FB after drafting an affletic RB.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Team MVP: Hillis. The Browns would probably be a two- or three-win team without Hillis' production this year. He was Cleveland's leading rusher and second-leading receiver, and the team fell apart when Hillis was banged-up late in the season. The Browns ended the season with four straight losses.

from ESPN season wrap

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Peyton Hillis at Home Finally, in Cleveland

by Alex Prewitt

When Peyton Hillis talks about his home, he's really referring to two very distinct locations. In the literal sense, there's Arkansas, where Hillis returns in the offseason to hunt and hang out with his 20-plus family members.

And then there's Cleveland, longing for a star. It's the city where Hillis has emerged as one of the NFL's elite running backs, and it's the city in which he finally feels welcome.

"When you walk around Cleveland, the fans are starving for a winner and a successful team, and you saw how upset they were when LeBron left," Hillis said. "You just want to win it for them. ... The fans support you, and even in my home state I don't get as much recognition as I do in Cleveland."

This offseason, he's even invited a few teammates to Arkansas to hunt, a merging of his two worlds. "I finally feel like I have a family as far as football goes," said Hillis, who backed up two future first-round draft picks (Darren McFadden and Felix Jones) at Arkansas and had only 81 carries in two years with the Broncos. "Everywhere else I went I felt like I wasn't really accepted or wanted."

After getting traded to the Browns, Hillis exploded onto the scene to the tune of 1,177 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns, and was nominated for the VIZIO Top Value Performer award. Fans can vote for the winner whose on-field performance most exceeded the value of his contract. Hillis earned just $470,000 in 2010, making him the lowest-paid of the five nominees.

This season, Hillis began talking daily to Cleveland native Ryan Trewin, a 9-year-old cancer patient and die-hard Browns fan. Trewin attended a Nov. 28 game against the Panthers and his family gave Hillis a hunting jacket for Christmas. Hillis still keeps in contact with Trewin. "It shows how much influence we can hold," Hillis said. "I feel blessed to help people out in that way."

Cleveland, in turn, has accepted Hillis, and fans have offered nicknames like "The Juggernaut" and "Chuck Norris." So what's his favorite?

"I like the Albino Rhino. That was kind of cool. Of all the other nicknames people give out, I thought it was really unique."
http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=6015104

JReb1

Mentor
Nice article! I hope the Browns sign Hillis to a long term deal to be the featured RB of the future.

Everyone needs to vote for Hillis to win the TVP award (I DID), link below, GO PEYTON!!!

http://www.topvalueperformer.com/

smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the link, JReb1. I just voted for Peyton.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This is the first article to confirm what we all knew, that Hillis was subjected to racist taunts during games this season. The admission in this article is likely but the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the racism White RBs, WRs and DBs are subjected to with impunity.

<DIV id=article-title-wrapper>
<H1 id=article-title fd="39">Cleveland Browns Running Back Peyton Hillis: The Great White Hope</H1>
By GB Bongiovanni (Analyst) on January 18, 2011
Face the facts Cleveland: It has been a tough year for sports in a city that hasn't seen a championship since 1964. With LeBron James spurning the city he grew up near, there was little left to admire until the emergence of Peyton Hillis. The Cleveland Browns traded for him and now Peyton Hillis, a white running back, is earning the hearts of the Cleveland faithful.

Go ahead and try to find another white running back who has amassed at least 1,000 yards rushing; you won't find one in 2010 other than Peyton Hillis. In fact, the last white running back to gain at least 1,000 yards was John Riggins of the Washington Redskins in 1984.

Peyton Hillis, at 6'1" and 240 pounds, is built like an offensive lineman and is proving that given the chance, this "white boy"Â￾ can play.

Hillis was selected in the seventh round by the Denver Broncos and was asked to play fullback despite his versatility shown in college. Hillis was used as a fullback, halfback, tight end, wide receiver, kick returner and punt returner at different points in his collegiate career at the University of Arkansas-Fayetteville.

While on the Dan Patrick Show, Hillis stated he was a team player and kept his mouth shut. He wanted nothing else but to get on the field. When the Broncos traded him he was upset at first, but now that he has found a home in Cleveland, the Broncos are nothing but a distant memory.

"When you walk around Cleveland, the fans are starving for a winner and a successful team, and you saw how upset they were when LeBron left,"Â￾ Hillis said. "You just want to win it for them. "¦The fans support you, and even in my home state I don't get as much recognition as I do in Cleveland."Â￾

pixel.gif
Hillis was the Browns' offense for 2010. He was 12th in rushing with 1,164 yards with 11 touchdowns and was 36th in the league in receptions with 60, third among running backs in that latter category.

He's even started getting nicknames like Chuck Norris and the Albino Rhino, but in actuality he is the "Great White Hope."Â￾ Peyton Hillis is showing that white guys can run the ball despite the trash being talked to him by the other players.

Hillis stated that during the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens games, many of his opponents would talk trash by saying, "Come on white boy, you can't run,"Â￾ and etc. But Hillis was only inspired and it has showed.

Peyton Hillis is proving that a white athlete doesn't have to be an offensive lineman or pocket quarterback passer. He's a running back who powers over others and has the entire city of Cleveland behind him.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/576938-peyton-hillis-the-great-white-hope

Westside

Hall of Famer
Don, what publication was this article in? Also, as most of us know, Craig James in 1985 was the last White RB to run for over a 1000 yards.

Next year, if any N.A.G.A.s(North American Ground Apes)makes racist remarks towards Peyton, I hope he says, "Hey, I hope you liked the view of the bottoms of my cleats as I ran past you."

Westside

Hall of Famer
Peyton Hillis official theme song should be Guns n Roses "One in a Million" Police and N***as, thats right, get out of my way.... What a great song.

Westside

Hall of Famer
"I'm just a small town White Boy trying to make ends meet." Man, such a great song. You guys should listen to it. Several versions on YouTube. Every time I play this I think of the trails and games that our Boy Peyton played this year. He has been a God send to us. Thank you Lord.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Pittsburgh Steelers[/i][/b]</font>[/URL] and Baltimore Ravens games,  many of his opponents would talk trash by saying, "Come on white boy, you can't run,"Â￾ and etc. But Hillis was only inspired and it has showed.

Peyton Hillis is proving that a white athlete doesn't have to be an offensive lineman or pocket quarterback passer. He's a running back who powers over others and has the entire city of Cleveland behind him.
<div>http://bleacherreport.com/articles/576938-peyton-hillis-the-great-white-hope</div></div></div>

Don since this is a racial insult and the NFL has a strict disciplinary policy against this sort of thing when do you think the NFL will start it's investigation and what kinds of fines will be levied?

G

I'd grab one of those punks and give him a fat lip, when the NFL and the brotha luvvas come down then they are opening up a whole can of don't go there.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'm glad we finally have some evidence of what we have suspected for a long time. I hope Peyton Hillis gets plenty of chances to run over those mugs next season!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
To be honest, I'm suprised he even mentioned it. I guarantee it goes on all the time and it's alot worse than he will ever admit to. He is probably smart in a way because if he calls them out, then he becomes an even bigger target. I know just from growing up playing sports that I heard things directed at me or my friends quite frequently. White boys can't run. White boys can't jump. I would tell them to go screw themselves because I knew the truth. The funny thing is that most of these guys that talked smack couldn't guard or cover me. Lol. It's ok though because they are still a legend in their mind. What a joke! I hope Peyton runs some more of these jerks over and leaves his spike marks on their face.

At the Pro Football Researchers Association, there is a thread about a ESPN program on "The Black Athlete and the NFL." A poster brought up a 1968 SI series "The Black Athlete, something I mentioned on this Forum a few years ago.

The PFRA posters love the SI series, especially the article ("Every NFL team has a cell of white racists") about racism on the 1967 St. Louis Cardinals. They think racism still exists, but is now in the shadows.