NFL Preseason 2009: signings, cuts etc.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
How about Ian campbell outta KSU signing with the Rams?? He had a big jr year but dissapeared his sr year. Look out for that kid he can rush the passer and has pretty good size.

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
I live in Oregon now and really would like to back the Seahawks now that the racist Homgren is gone. If they give Hass a shot at playing, then I may wear the puke green and grey.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Patriots trade for a 3rd round bust, Bucs TE Alex Smith (Stanford, not Utah).

After brining in lead-foot Chris Baker from the Jets this offseason, they bring in yet another TE to start over David Thomas. At least Daniel Graham might finally be replaced.Edited by: Thrashen

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Patriotsdrafted Garrett Mills and Dave Thomas a couple of years ago and waived Mills (who was picked up by the Vikings and has rotted in that organization), while Thomas looks like he'll be cut this year given the acquisitions of busts Baker and Smith.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Don, didn't Garrett Mills break receiving records as a TE in college for the FBS at Tulsa?

I think Mills could be another Cooley (H-back) and even used as a change of pace power runner if fair.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Don, didn't Garrett Mills break receiving records as a TE in college for the FBS at Tulsa?

I think Mills could be another Cooley (H-back) and even used as a change of pace power runner if fair.

Yes Tough, Garrett broke the FBS record and now he's a non-factor. Only in caste America.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Mills would have been a great large target WR in the NFL, but meanwhile can't play even as a receiving TE.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I hope James Casey isn't similarly cast aside. Casey has similar tools to Mills and had 1,000 receiving yards last year for Rice, but somehow lasted till the 5th rd.. Hey, but at least it was the Texans that signed him!

Casey is another guy that should be used as a runner some.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I hear everyone talking about rooting for the Texans. Are they going to have a significant amount of white players this year?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Mills would have been a great large target WR in the NFL, but meanwhile can't play even as a receiving TE. 

That is definitely possible. I think Mills ran a low 4.6 at the Combine and could be a good physical Slot WR or Flanker.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Texans are the team that gave Kevin Walter a chance to bloom when everyone ridiculed him (and the Texans) for using him as their number 2 WR to begin the '07 season. The DWFs wentberserk overthat one.

Houston also has one of the top receiving TEs in the league in Owen Daniels, an emerging star at QB in Matt Schaub, and they re-signed David Anderson to be their number 3 receiver again after he had signed as an RFA with Denver earlier this offseason. Then they drafted two of the top white defensive players in this year's Draft in the first and second round, so they have as many white stars and potential white stars as any team in the league now.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I too look forward to watching the whites for Houston this year. Maybe they'll show more games out here, but now with "the world's worst cable package" getting even worse (they took ESPN and gave us the CBS-College Sports Network), I doubt I'll be able to see them as much as last year.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
We still have kole. Jennings says he is "taking Simmons under his wing"
smiley5.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
celticdb15 said:
We still have kole. Jennings says he is "taking Simmons under his wing"
smiley5.gif

Yeah here's the spiel: According to Journal Sentinel Online Brodell failed his physical still stemming from that hamstring injury in 2007.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/44203507.html

Lets face it both Brodell and Heckendorf weren't both going to make the roster or taxi squad anyway. Fellow UFA Jamarko Simmons was a teammate of Greg Jennings at Western Michigan (when he was a freshman) and became friends with Jennings when he was in his last year there. Simmons had minor character issues as a freshman, but ended w/ a very productive college career and has supposedly grown up and Jennings loves him.

I'm predicting Swain and Simmons make the 53 man roster and Heckendorf is practice squaded and takes over Donald Driver's roster spot when he leaves GB. These white WRs are just too good to be cast aside. I predict that Ruvell Martin gets moved to TE. Best case scenario of course.
smiley32.gif

dwid

Hall of Famer
damn Brodell failed his physical because of his hamstring? I can't believe hes been playing on that since 2007, imagine how much faster he would be if it wasn't still nagging him. Too bad he couldn't take a year off and then try out somewhere with some team giving him a legitimate shot.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the Indianapolis Colts have signed wide receiver Brett McDermott out of Holy Cross to a free agent contract. i don't know much about him, but he put up really good numbers in college.

that brings the number of White rookie wideouts in the Colts' camp to three.

out of the 9 total receivers in camp for the Colts, 5 are White men.
smiley32.gif
hopefully most of them will stick come the final cut-down.